Good Newspapers/ Journals to read?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Chromium Surfer

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi SDN,

I was wondering if people could post some good recommendations of newspapers and journals that they regularly peruse? I consider myself to be an avid reader but the scope of my reading is usually limited to fiction, historical fiction, and biographies. I want to continue to refine my comphrension skills and genuinely enjoy anything that is a good read! I have heard that the New York Times is good, but I have also heard that it has a liberal bias. Does anyone know of journals or newspapers that are more moderate but still well written that address a variety of topics. Any other suggestions are also welcome and appreciated!
 
WSJ is good but (obviously) focuses on alot of money, econ, and lifestyle stuff.

IMHO Forbes is excellent all around.
 
The university I attended had free NYT, so I read that.
I liked reading the The Economist during one summer when a housemate had a subscription. It was alright.
I was subscribed to The New Yorker for the past year, and it can be hit or miss. It was $1/issue for 12 issues, though, so it was worth it for me.
I recently subscribed to the NY Review of Books, so I'll see how that goes.
I think these all have a liberal bias, though.

EDIT: tl;dr

NY Times
The Economist
NY Review of Books, and/or The New Yorker
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NY Times
The Economist
Time


Hi SDN,

I was wondering if people could post some good recommendations of newspapers and journals that they regularly peruse? I consider myself to be an avid reader but the scope of my reading is usually limited to fiction, historical fiction, and biographies. I want to continue to refine my comphrension skills and genuinely enjoy anything that is a good read! I have heard that the New York Times is good, but I have also heard that it has a liberal bias. Does anyone know of journals or newspapers that are more moderate but still well written that address a variety of topics. Any other suggestions are also welcome and appreciated!
 
WSJ is good but (obviously) focuses on alot of money, econ, and lifestyle stuff.

IMHO Forbes is excellent all around.

Wall Street Journal (and the UK version Financial Times) is awesome and i recommend it. But it's obviously not for everyone, but that's where i get my news. The Economist is just a weekly magazine version of WSJ/FT.

New York Times is okay for some commentary and essays. But if you really need news, go for BBC.
 
Just chiming in to endorse the recommendation of the Wall Street Journal. Tuesday has a good personal health section and it also covers health insurance, advances in pharmaceuticals, etc in a good way. The editorial page, op-ed page, book reviews and columnists are good. It isn't all finance and economics.

Also love The New Yorker and The Economist.
 
I'm a big fan of The Atlantic. This article as one of many examples from the other day I thought was a very good read.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-surge-fallacy/399344/?utm_source=SFFB

If the question was raised to "refine reading comprehension skills" for the MCAT reading persuasive pieces and ones with bias are really what you want to go for. Identifying arguments, themes, tones and particular phrasings is what it's all about.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The Economist is neutral, while the Times and Time mag have a moderate liberal slant.

:shrug: While presenting sound facts, the arguments of The Economist seem libertarian, given its consistently strong views on oppressive governments, human rights, economic efficiency, free markets etc. Nonetheless, I'll still recommend Economist over many others (including the New York Times) for its excellent reports.
 
Good to see you back, colleague! Still on vacation?

Just chiming in to endorse the recommendation of the Wall Street Journal. Tuesday has a good personal health section and it also covers health insurance, advances in pharmaceuticals, etc in a good way. The editorial page, op-ed page, book reviews and columnists are good. It isn't all finance and economics.

Also love The New Yorker and The Economist.
 
I'm a big fan of The Atlantic. This article as one of many examples from the other day I thought was a very good read.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-surge-fallacy/399344/?utm_source=SFFB

If the question was raised to "refine reading comprehension skills" for the MCAT reading persuasive pieces and ones with bias are really what you want to go for. Identifying arguments, themes, tones and particular phrasings is what it's all about.
Thanks for your input Grapes! That's more of a secondary motive for me. Even after I take the MCAT I still plan on reading journals and newspapers. My primary motive is to cultivate my love of reading and to become more informed about things other than novels and sports! Haha
 
I like NYT and New Yorker, also Vox and 538. Forbes, Economist, Time, WSJ are good too.

On Android there is the google newsstand app which lets you pick your favorite topics and sources and it regularly updates with new articles. I'm sure apple and maybe windows have a similar program.