Good Newspapers/ Journals to read?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chromium Surfer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I was wondering if people could post some good recommendations of newspapers and journals that they regularly peruse? I consider myself to be an avid reader but the scope of my reading is usually limited to fiction, historical fiction, and biographies. I want to continue to refine my comphrension skills and genuinely enjoy anything that is a good read! I have heard that the New York Times is good, but I have also heard that it has a liberal bias. Does anyone know of journals or newspapers that are more moderate but still well written that address a variety of topics. Any other suggestions are also welcome and appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

WSJ is good but (obviously) focuses on alot of money, econ, and lifestyle stuff.

IMHO Forbes is excellent all around.

The university I attended had free NYT, so I read that.
I liked reading the The Economist during one summer when a housemate had a subscription. It was alright.
I was subscribed to The New Yorker for the past year, and it can be hit or miss. It was $1/issue for 12 issues, though, so it was worth it for me.
I recently subscribed to the NY Review of Books, so I'll see how that goes.
I think these all have a liberal bias, though.

EDIT: tl;dr

NY Times
The Economist
NY Review of Books, and/or The New Yorker

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your opinions! Forbes and the NY review of books sound especially interesting!

NY Times
The Economist
Time

Hi SDN,

I was wondering if people could post some good recommendations of newspapers and journals that they regularly peruse? I consider myself to be an avid reader but the scope of my reading is usually limited to fiction, historical fiction, and biographies. I want to continue to refine my comphrension skills and genuinely enjoy anything that is a good read! I have heard that the New York Times is good, but I have also heard that it has a liberal bias. Does anyone know of journals or newspapers that are more moderate but still well written that address a variety of topics. Any other suggestions are also welcome and appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user
NY Times
The Economist
Time
Thanks Goro!! Are Time and The Economist moderate, or do they have a heavy political slant? I've been starting to read NY Times more but I want to read news from both sides of the spectrum.

The Federalist or National Review if you want conservative publications

WSJ is good but (obviously) focuses on alot of money, econ, and lifestyle stuff.

IMHO Forbes is excellent all around.

Wall Street Journal (and the UK version Financial Times) is awesome and i recommend it. But it's obviously not for everyone, but that's where i get my news. The Economist is just a weekly magazine version of WSJ/FT.

New York Times is okay for some commentary and essays. But if you really need news, go for BBC.

Along with NY times and Time I really love Aljazeera English. Good source for pretty neutral international issues.

Reactions: 1 users
Just chiming in to endorse the recommendation of the Wall Street Journal. Tuesday has a good personal health section and it also covers health insurance, advances in pharmaceuticals, etc in a good way. The editorial page, op-ed page, book reviews and columnists are good. It isn't all finance and economics.

Also love The New Yorker and The Economist.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Economist
Mother Jones
The Atlantic
Vox
Slate
New Yorker
Der Spiegel

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of The Atlantic. This article as one of many examples from the other day I thought was a very good read.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-surge-fallacy/399344/?utm_source=SFFB

If the question was raised to "refine reading comprehension skills" for the MCAT reading persuasive pieces and ones with bias are really what you want to go for. Identifying arguments, themes, tones and particular phrasings is what it's all about.

The Economist, New Yorker, and for medical journal, NEJM is a nice read (but understand its idiosyncrasies).

The Economist is neutral, while the Times and Time mag have a moderate liberal slant.

:shrug: While presenting sound facts, the arguments of The Economist seem libertarian, given its consistently strong views on oppressive governments, human rights, economic efficiency, free markets etc. Nonetheless, I'll still recommend Economist over many others (including the New York Times) for its excellent reports.

Good to see you back, colleague! Still on vacation?

Just chiming in to endorse the recommendation of the Wall Street Journal. Tuesday has a good personal health section and it also covers health insurance, advances in pharmaceuticals, etc in a good way. The editorial page, op-ed page, book reviews and columnists are good. It isn't all finance and economics.

Also love The New Yorker and The Economist.

I'm a big fan of The Atlantic. This article as one of many examples from the other day I thought was a very good read.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-surge-fallacy/399344/?utm_source=SFFB

If the question was raised to "refine reading comprehension skills" for the MCAT reading persuasive pieces and ones with bias are really what you want to go for. Identifying arguments, themes, tones and particular phrasings is what it's all about.
Thanks for your input Grapes! That's more of a secondary motive for me. Even after I take the MCAT I still plan on reading journals and newspapers. My primary motive is to cultivate my love of reading and to become more informed about things other than novels and sports! Haha

In addition to what's been mentioned above, I recommend the "perspectives" articles in NEJM.

Love the economist, new Yorker and atlantic, but the economist the most!

infowars.com! You really need to know about all the shape shifting lizard people who are part of the secret government plan to take over texas.

I like NYT and New Yorker, also Vox and 538. Forbes, Economist, Time, WSJ are good too.

On Android there is the google newsstand app which lets you pick your favorite topics and sources and it regularly updates with new articles. I'm sure apple and maybe windows have a similar program.