Good Websites for Job search?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PSimon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I will be graduating in June,2022. Wondering what websites people are using for lookout for potential jobs?
I am looking for job in different state, from where I am currently training.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello
I will be graduating in June,2022. Wondering what websites people are using for lookout for potential jobs?
Gasworks.com

Also, google anesthesia groups in the cities you'd be interested in and call them. Chat with people from SDN who live in the geographic region of interest.

Reactions: 5 users
Hello

Step 1: Figure out what state you want to work in. Google the hospitals in the area. Look at bed size and trauma designation. Figure out which groups cover which hospitals.

Step 2: Ask your attendings if they know anyone in the area. If you get put in touch with someone ask them about the job market. Ask about the different practices and hospitals. Are there MD only groups, coverage ratios, case mix, call flexibility, partnership tracks. Do some have better reps than others? Why? Do not ask about money upfront. If someone tells you one group is better, usually money or work life balance is the reason. Some jobs really do have it all. Know what you are looking for and be honest about that. Circle back to who put you in touch and say thank you.

Step 2: Talk to your residency coordinator and PD and ask if they know anyone. Your PD has an interest in making sure you are happy. The good ones get satisfaction helping you make your dreams come true. They keep in touch with past residents and have a good gauge on what makes previous residents happy. Use them.

Step 3: Look at alumni map on Doximity. Anesthesia is a small world. When you find someone from in the area of interest, ask your PD and alumni if they are familiar with the person and would mind making the intro.

Step 4: Cold call hospitals asking for someone from anesthesia. “Hey i know you are busy. I am finishing residency at so and so and am hoping to move back to the area to be closer to my family. Do you know who I may be able to contact for more information about your group?” Yes i am serious.

Step 5: gasworks

Don’t blow people off. It’s a bad look. Again, this is a small world. The degree of separation between you and any random poster on this forum is likely 1 person.

The better informed you are, the more likely you are to end up in a good group. Life works out if you trust people, take them for their word, work hard, and make yourself available. No one (from another group) is going to tell you a group has a great rep if there isn’t some real truth behind it. What makes a group great can vary depending on your goals: max profit, max time off, max flexibility, diverse case mix, bread and butter, no OB, all OB, no peds, +- cardiac, easy call, lots of call, bread and butter, 2:1 coverage, MD only, location

Good luck.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In private forum here or position available sub. You’re also in luck, there’s a thread named “hours”, that will give you some petty good ideas what the general “market” is like.

I also put my name on some stupid lists. Not or nothing, just to get some idea how the market is in the state that you’re looking for. General rule is that most of the groups that need recruiters, there’s something wrong with “something.” Location, lifestyle, or money. But there are also mom and pop places that just don’t have the resources to get the word out, therefore spend good money to get candidates in the door.

I think snap is 100% right. There are no prefect job out there, there are jobs that’s not so good for me, but excellent for you.

Good luck.

Reactions: 3 users
oh god no

Hahahha. In a good payer mix area, I won’t mind lots of ob.
Patients are generally healthy, people with real insurances generally take care of themselves and fetus.
10 to 15 epidurals and post call day off…. ? Sign me up.

• Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
Step 4: Cold call hospitals asking for someone from anesthesia. “Hey i know you are busy. I am finishing residency at so and so and am hoping to move back to the area to be closer to my family. Do you know who I may be able to contact for more information about your group?” Yes i am serious.
I completely agree with this. Taking that brave step of cold calling someone can be the edge that finds the diamond in the rough. It takes a little effort and may feel socially uncomfortable to call a hospital's operator but that's the tried and true strategy used in the days before the internet. Ask to be transferred to the OR front desk and to start probing about who the anesthesia department is so you can get some info. Be honest with your situation, nice to the secretaries, and you will get an "in," at least you could get some contact information to go on.

If you notice yourself feeling that hesitancy inside you about cold-calling, use that as a flag that prevented the AVERAGE candidate from taking that step further. Just be courageous and put yourself out there in an honest way and that'll get you in on that job that's not publicly advertised.

Reactions: 4 users
Step 1: Figure out what state you want to work in. Google the hospitals in the area. Look at bed size and trauma designation. Figure out which groups cover which hospitals.

Step 2: Ask your attendings if they know anyone in the area. If you get put in touch with someone ask them about the job market. Ask about the different practices and hospitals. Are there MD only groups, coverage ratios, case mix, call flexibility, partnership tracks. Do some have better reps than others? Why? Do not ask about money upfront. If someone tells you one group is better, usually money or work life balance is the reason. Some jobs really do have it all. Know what you are looking for and be honest about that. Circle back to who put you in touch and say thank you.

Step 2: Talk to your residency coordinator and PD and ask if they know anyone. Your PD has an interest in making sure you are happy. The good ones get satisfaction helping you make your dreams come true. They keep in touch with past residents and have a good gauge on what makes previous residents happy. Use them.

Step 3: Look at alumni map on Doximity. Anesthesia is a small world. When you find someone from in the area of interest, ask your PD and alumni if they are familiar with the person and would mind making the intro.

Step 5: gasworks

Don’t blow people off. It’s a bad look. Again, this is a small world. The degree of separation between you and any random poster on this forum is likely 1 person.

The better informed you are, the more likely you are to end up in a good group. Life works out if you trust people, take them for their word, work hard, and make yourself available. No one (from another group) is going to tell you a group has a great rep if there isn’t some real truth behind it. What makes a group great can vary depending on your goals: max profit, max time off, max flexibility, diverse case mix, bread and butter, no OB, all OB, no peds, +- cardiac, easy call, lots of call, bread and butter, 2:1 coverage, MD only, location

Good luck.
Thank you so much.

I completely agree with this. Taking that brave step of cold calling someone can be the edge that finds the diamond in the rough. It takes a little effort and may feel socially uncomfortable to call a hospital's operator but that's the tried and true strategy used in the days before the internet. Ask to be transferred to the OR front desk and to start probing about who the anesthesia department is so you can get some info. Be honest with your situation, nice to the secretaries, and you will get an "in," at least you could get some contact information to go on.

If you notice yourself feeling that hesitancy inside you about cold-calling, use that as a flag that prevented the AVERAGE candidate from taking that step further. Just be courageous and put yourself out there in an honest way and that'll get you in on that job that's not publicly advertised.
Great advice. Definitely.

to reiterate, simply look at a map and figure out which hospitals are in a geographic area you might want to work in and then google search your way to figure out who does the anesthesia there. Easy enough to determine if AMC, hospital employee, or private group. Then find a phone number or email and just reach out.

As a private group, if someone cold called us and we had any possibility of hiring in the near future we would at least phone interview them and probably bring them in for in person interview.

Reactions: 3 users
There are many job search websites. You can also follow indeed.com and LinkedIn sites to get the Amazing jobs. I also get Job in ISO Compliance Company through LinkedIn. LinkedIn is the best platform where company direct hire the employee.

I don't know of any physician that ever got a job related to patient care through LinkedIn. That is for the business world, not medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
There are many job search websites. You can also follow indeed.com and LinkedIn sites to get the Amazing jobs. I also get Job in ISO Compliance Company through LinkedIn. LinkedIn is the best platform where company direct hire the employee.

lol what anesthesiologist job are you going to get on indeed.com?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In the same boat as you, agree with everything posted.

figure out where you want to live, do some good googling (smaller groups are harder to find and unlikely to have full websites or landing pages), and shoot some emails/phone calls.

a post I made in the private forum yielded me a lot of good info in a market I wasn’t familiar with. Lots of very helpful people on this board

for just getting a rough idea of what sort of jobs are available in any market, I had luck with practicelink, bagmask.com, and of course gasworks.

Hahahha. In a good payer mix area, I won’t mind lots of ob.
Patients are generally healthy, people with real insurances generally take care of themselves and fetus.
10 to 15 epidurals and post call day off…. ? Sign me up.
So...there aren't L & D nurses or OB/gyn's where you are?

So...there aren't L & D nurses or OB/gyn's where you are?

I wish we have a good payer mix, that’s all I am saying…..

Simple math
6000 deliveries a year.
80% real insurance.
75% epidurals.
3600 epidurals.
If I actually get my hands on that…. I’d take your ob shift if you don’t want it.

Edit: a few words, since…

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Simple math
6000 deliveries a year.
80% real insurance.
75% epidurals.
3600 epidurals.
If I actually get my hands on that…. I’d take your ob shift if you don’t want it.

that's probably about $10K per 24 hours

Reactions: 1 user
I didn’t want to throw the number up, since I’ve been told there are watchful eyes around.
But I’d say, at least.
We were paid per epidural, not timed units.

I would venture to say, most of the younger, growing city, ob should be fairly lucrative. However, the downside of that maybe higher than avg COL….

Last edited:
To counteract some of these numbers maybe we should post about how fantastic it is to be reimbursed at roughly 70 dollars an hour for Medicaid. Better yet, 0 dollars an hour for an uninsured trauma. Half joking, but I do think it’s worth noting to any watchful eyes etc.

Do NOT go through a recruiter. I do not want to pay someone $25,000 for sending my group a name and email address.