Goodness, most of Achiever's gems are studded in Tests 4 and 5!

RSlex

5+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Someone from my school just gave me a list of question numbers from DAT Achiever which was claimed to be spot on for the DAT, and I think half of them are from tests 4 and 5 especially the sciences and the maths. Has anyone ever seen or heard of these and found them to be of extensive help?

Zoff

5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Really? How did they come up with the list of questions?

Munks

7+ Year Member
May 14, 2010
CA
Status
Dentist
Very interesting as most people are saying tests 4 and 5 are ridiculously hard compared to the regular DAT, to the point where it doesn't really even help...

I was thinking of just buying the tests 1-3 myself... But if this is true, perhaps I shall reconsider :)

Does anyone know of this who has used achiever tests 4/5 or has already taken the DAT using these?

Nov 24, 2009
Status
Dental Student
never taken the DAT so can't confirm if 4-5 are similar, but 4-5 have much better PAT quality (it doesn't look like they drew the shapes in MS paint anymore :p)

but yeah, it was ridiculously hard :(

Last edited:

CANgnome

5+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2010
Status
Dental Student
4/5 are ridiculously hard.

there is a thread with someone who got 29TS/24AA on the real thing and getting only a 15 on achiever 4's bio

RING12

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
4/5 are ridiculously hard.

there is a thread with someone who got 29TS/24AA on the real thing and getting only a 15 on achiever 4's bio
I took the test back to 5 yrs ago and I remember the bio stuff was the same.

silveryhair

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2008
Status
Sounds like someone is trying to promote and sell something here...

Last edited:

RING12

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
No, I ment from test 1,2,3 and remember exactly was about the relationship between Mitochondria and chloroplast and some other stuff in germ layers, and I saw them In my own test too!

Jun 4, 2009
Status
question on achiever 4 bio number 36... it says that in translation, AUG doesn't result in an amino acid. But it should result in a methionine no?

Jun 3, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
is there a way to upgrade from the 3 test version to the 5 test version without having to pay full price?

Morena

7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I just took the DAT on monday and in comparison to the read DAT, achiever 4 was freaking ridiculously hard. Achiever 5 was though too but not as hard as 4.

Baquettes

5+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2009
Status
I bet Achiever 4 and 5 are too condensed with the high yield questions, making them exceptionally hard in that way.

Jan 9, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
i got a 23 AA and 25TS and I can say, with complete honesty, that the 4th and 5th tests of achiever did NOTHING positive. It only served to decimate my confidence. I was getting all 15s 16s 17s with that bad boy

OP
R

RSlex

5+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Wow, wouldn't it be golden if I could hit close to the 20s on 4 and 5?

Teen Zone

5+ Year Member
May 14, 2010
Status
question on achiever 4 bio number 36... it says that in translation, AUG doesn't result in an amino acid. But it should result in a methionine no?
AUG is a start codon and should always begin a polypeptide chain with methionine. It probably meant that not all proteins would be primed with methionine at their N-terminals with the chains folded into the 3D structures.

Zoff

5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
is there a way to upgrade from the 3 test version to the 5 test version without having to pay full price?
I remember seeing somewhere about the upgrade on the forum. Just shoot them an email and ask if there is an option for that.

Veru

5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2010
Status
Someone from my school just gave me a list of question numbers from DAT Achiever which was claimed to be spot on for the DAT, and I think half of them are from tests 4 and 5 especially the sciences and the maths. Has anyone ever seen or heard of these and found them to be of extensive help?
Can you send me the list?

Brooke37

5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2009
Status
I thought p-value is the only noteworthy topic, and there are actually a lot more stuffs to pay attention to?

Veru

5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2010
Status
so i heard you could be hit by as much as 3 p values on the real thing? that's so unbelievable!

Baquettes

5+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2009
Status
I thought p-value is the only noteworthy topic, and there are actually a lot more stuffs to pay attention to?
Pretty sure there are a lot more similar DAT questions on 4/5. Pay attention to them by working your butt off and you are bound to flourish on the DAT, despite the very fact that you will be owned by these questions ...

Veru

5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2010
Status
There are quite a number of bio questions that come with pictures. Will the DAT have these up there too?

2ndFn

5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2009
Status
There are quite a number of bio questions that come with pictures. Will the DAT have these up there too?
There might be a question or two of this kind on the DAT. I remember someone on the forum saying he got a bio question with a slide attached along expecting you to interpret something from.

YumaZ

5+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Pretty sure there are a lot more similar DAT questions on 4/5. Pay attention to them by working your butt off and you are bound to flourish on the DAT, despite the very fact that you will be owned by these questions ...
There are two topics on the RC sections that are reminiscent of the moral and piano passages frequently reported on SDN, wondering how similar they are to the real thing.

Dmitry

5+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2010
Status
never taken the DAT so can't confirm if 4-5 are similar, but 4-5 have much better PAT quality (it doesn't look like they drew the shapes in MS paint anymore :p)

but yeah, it was ridiculously hard :(
Some of the angles are only 1-2 degrees apart. Will the real angle questions be that hard too?

Baquettes

5+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2009
Status
There are two topics on the RC sections that are reminiscent of the moral and piano passages frequently reported on SDN, wondering how similar they are to the real thing.
They are both comparable to the real ones as far as I have heard of, although I would think that the moral ethic passage is somewhat easier on the DAT.

Jul 7, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Some of the angles are only 1-2 degrees apart. Will the real angle questions be that hard too?
Yes, you will find angles that are approximately this close to each other on the real DAT (I think I read somewhere that the minimum separation is 2 degrees). Not all of the questions will be this difficult, but do expect to see 4-7 of these. Be as careful as you can without wasting time, and go with your gut instinct when angles seem to be identical. Good luck! :luck:

FlavorKey

5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2010
Status
Dental Student
They are both comparable to the real ones as far as I have heard of, although I would think that the moral ethic passage is somewhat easier on the DAT.
The ethic passage is doable. Just be aware that the passage is going to be a lot longer than the rest.

2ndFn

5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2009
Status
Anyone, please?
I was measuring some of the angles on the 2009 ADA sample tests, and they are like 1 to 2 degrees apart like you said. These would usually be on the acute angles, which are not impossible to discriminate when paying special attentions to the areas close to the vertex. Try it out again; you might get a catch there.

Dmitry

5+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2010
Status
Thanks much, guys. There obviously must be a reason why some of these angles are that freaking hard. I hope they won't show up too much on my DAT.:xf:

Baquettes

5+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2009
Status
Don't ever let the angles freak you out during the test. The ADA would usually mix some other easier sections of the PAT with these to make it a fair game for everyone. Just don't fret and give up too early before the test ends.

2ndFn

5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2009
Status
Don't ever let the angles freak you out during the test. The ADA would usually mix some other easier sections of the PAT with these to make it a fair game for everyone. Just don't fret and give up too early before the test ends.
Not really true. I have been noticing students plagued with tougher set of angle problems end up scoring lower on the PAT, but do agree striving to the very end regardless of what's out there.

ramseszerg

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 1, 2007
Status
Dental Student
Aha! That reminds me of the repeated DAT questions from Achiever when they debuted the first version. :idea:
I wrote on the 2nd, there was a repeated question on the RCT also LOL

Edit: I meant on the real thing.. there were 2 identical questions

RosenCreek

5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Was wondering the same thing. Anyone who have bought the 3 tests managed to pay only the differential to get the other two?

FlavorKey

5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Was wondering the same thing. Anyone who have bought the 3 tests managed to pay only the differential to get the other two?
Just write in to the company and ask nicely if you could do that. I am sure some kind of arrangement can be worked out for the upgrade.

YumaZ

5+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
I wrote on the 2nd, there was a repeated question on the RCT also LOL

Edit: I meant on the real thing.. there were 2 identical questions
Hey, ramseszerg, could you tell us more about what you get? Was it the question stem or the passage being identical on the real thing? Thanks.

Teen Zone

5+ Year Member
May 14, 2010
Status
Hey, ramseszerg, could you tell us more about what you get? Was it the question stem or the passage being identical on the real thing? Thanks.
I would think that the question stems are more likely to be identical rather than the passage itself, although the general consensus is that some of the RC topics from Achiever are quite on target with the real thing.

YumaZ

5+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
What about the p-value questions on QR? How likely are they to appear on the test? I tried flipping through my stats book and this topic seems to be overwhelming to me. Can anyone share a tip or clue here, please?

Aug 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
You are probably not going to finish the QR section on time. With so many other problems to work on, why worry so much about the p-values?:confused:

YumaZ

5+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
NVM. I think I will have to skip this p-value things for the moment. Too complicated for me, what to do?:(

Guppiess

5+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2010
Status
So, seriously, if I practice these passages on achiever, they are going to get me through with the piano on the real thing?

Aug 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Bump. Are these passages worth going through?
I think most of achiever RC is there to prepare you for the most difficult passage on the DAT. If you already have tests 4 and 5, why not give them a shot and see how badly you could have done on the real thing.

Baquettes

5+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2009
Status
Go through them, dude. These topics would help much if you pay serious attention to them!