Goro’s guide to interviews (2023 edition)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pull up a chair and grad a cold one.

Interview season is here! Finally, here’s your chance to strut your stuff and show people why they should let you into their medical school. We take admissions interviews very seriously. Getting an invite means that we think you are academically prepared for medical school, and you meet the minimum demands of the profession's humanistic side by your numerous ECs.

The good news is that by getting an interview, you’ve survived a huge cut. Most interviewees represent 10-20% of the total applicant pool. And, at many places, just by setting foot on campus, you’re going to be accepted. But do NOT be complacent! People can and do bomb the interview.

Here’s some advice from experience gained over a decade of interviewing.

First, know the format. Some are 1 on 1, some are 2 on 1 or more. The interviewers may have your file, parts of your file, or be completely ignorant of what’s in your file. You may be also interviewed in a group of fellow potential students (which is how it’s done at my school). Your interviewers will most likely be faculty, with or without medical students on the panel, perhaps a layperson from the community, or a clinician not on the faculty.

You can get an idea of what the format is like, and the types of questions you’ll be asked by reading the Interview Questions section for the schools in SDN's Interview Feedback section: (School Rankings List | Student Doctor Network).

One of the best summaries ever on what interviewers look for can be seen here, thanks to the wise LizzyM. See post #3

Describe a good interview

For starters, here’s what you need to carry into the interview room:

People skills.

Being able to speak understandable English.

Demonstrate that you know what you're getting into.

Be familiar with the school. You’ll have to come up with a better answer to “why here?” than just “you invited me” or “I couldn’t get into (#1 choice school here).”

Be yourself!

Be confident. Be poised.

Know what's in your file.

Listen carefully. I will ding interviewees severely if I ask them X and they answer Y. Here’s one example: sometimes I ask people what their hometown is. They interpret this as an opportunity to tell me their life story, when the question really was "so, Jack/Jill, where are you from?"

Be prepared to get stressed. Some people are sweetie pies, and some are hard-asses (like me). We may deliberately rattle you to see how you handle stress. But there’s a difference between being probing, and being unprofessional.

Now, I'm sure someone is going to chime in that "yeah, but interviews are stressful", as if that’s going to excuse a poor performance. No doubt they are, but so are tying off a spurting artery on a MVA victim, or dealing with an acting out psychotic patient. Thus, with all the people we interview for our limited number of seats, the seats go to those who display grace under pressure. Panic is not an option for a doctor; clear-headed thinking is.

Do not lie. We have your app in front of you. We’re pretty good at catching liars. For example, Medicine can be a small community sometimes, and so your interviewer may actually know the person you shadowed.

If you’ve done research, you can very well expect to be asked about it. You should have an understanding of what you did, how you did it, what you found (if anything) and why you did it. If you were merely a tech following orders, and never engaged in any independent thinking, don’t pretend that you did.

Gravitas counts. Faculty and students don’t merely look at you as a potential student, but as a potential colleague. I try to image the interviewee wearing the white coat. I want to be comfortable with the idea of this person touching patients. I have a clinical colleague with an earthier criterion: “would you want this person to do a prostate exam on your dad?

We know the interview tricks, so please don’t try to digress the question from X into what great team player you are or how prepared you are. You’re more likely to get smacked back to the center.

If you’re in a group interview, pay attention when other people are speaking.

After the interview is over, don’t get your hopes up just because the interviewer is being polite. Most people are really poor judges of their own performance. We're specifically told not to give any tip-offs that might give false hope. Any one interviewer’s comments could also be worthless, because the AdCom as a whole or the Dean might overrule that interviewer.

I received a PM from someone who just had an interview. He asked " ...I saw what looked like a grading rubric... is it possible that you are literally evaluated on paper? But have you heard of such a thing? Also what's with the note taking? Like what gets written down exactly?"

With interviews, the interviewer does have a score sheet. Questions for the interviewee might be written down on them as well. Without going into too much detail, we score interviewees on their ability think, talk and to listen. We also give them an overall final score.

We write down notes about both good and bad things interviewees say do (like "babbling idiot"; "didn't answer Joe's question"; "really articulate"; "great answer!"). We also might jot something down to prompt a follow-up question. When we're done, we write our final summaries on the candidates (the more info we write, the better for our wily old Admissions Dean when he discusses the outcome with our Dean, who is the Ultimate Decider).

Is there a certain weight that's given to these [interviewer’s] scores? At our school, just the "Overall Ranking" counts. This is averaged with those of the other interviewers. You need a certain number to be accepted. Even then, candidates do come up for discussion at times in the Adcom meeting. My score may be very divergent from the other interviewers (Drs W, X Y and student Z), and one of us will want it to be straightened out, one way or another in the meeting.

“So is it pass or fail? Or does having a very strong interview help you "beat" other applicants who have slightly better apps who had average interviews only?” With all due respect to my young correspondent, this notion that one interviewee is competing for one seat against other candidates (like tenure candidates at Yale) is 100% NOT true! We don't ration seats; it's always you competing against yourself.

Another person once asked: My MCAT is only xxx and sGPA y.yy so my question is, is it possible that these schools inviting me with the intention of placing me on an alternate list or a waitlist? Is that a thing that medical school admissions do?

I have to be the blunt New Yorker here: med schools have only a limited number of interview slots, and so they don't give sympathy ****s.

If you're being invited, it's because the Admission dean and/or the screeners think that on paper you look like a good candidate for being one of their students.

Here are some things that get people rejected immediately:

· Being unprofessional for any reason. An example is addressing a faculty member by their first name. Another is chewing gum during the interview. If you have a dry mouth, suck on a lozenge instead. BTW, the interview lasts all day. Acting unprofessionally during your tour, like yelling at a parking attendant, or trashing the school, or expecting the Admissions Office staff to hang up your coat or fetch you coffee is duly noted and affects your fate accordingly.

· Not taking the interview seriously, like showing up poorly dressed. This is suit and tie time (and nice dress/outfit/suit for the ladies). You're going into character. Yes, if the airline loses your luggage, we understand that.

· Do NOT be arrogant. People who think that they're God's gift to Medicine do not go into Medicine.

· Being too shy or nervous. Being quiet is OK; being monosyllabic or robotic is not.

· Not making eye contact is also a no-no (yes I'm aware that in some cultures, one does not look elders in the eye, but this is the USA and you need to look people in the eye here).

· Any hints of immaturity will be lethal for your chances. We expect you to be thoughtful and self-aware. Would you admit the gal who, when asked a hypothetical, "What would you do in this situation?" answers, "Oh, that wouldn't happen."

· Showing you're greedy.

· Showing any hint of entitlement. This includes the “I was accepted to XSOM, so what are you going to do for me?” The answer will be “Good luck and have fun at XSOM.

· Being clueless as to why you're choosing Medicine as a career.

· Doing this because your mom/dad wants you to be a doctor (or don't think you can be doctor).

· Completely lacking people skills (4.0 automatons are a dime a dozen, really).

· Showing that you're more interested in research than Medicine. This might be OK at Stanford, but it won’t fly at most other schools.

· Still being the hyper-gunner...I rejected a 4.0 gal who wanted to answer the questions I asked of another person in the interview panel. I don't want to admit someone who will be in my office whining about how they got a 95 on an exam and deserved a 96.

· Having a flat affect. This might be due to medication, or a mental or personality disorder. You ever meet someone who could never crack a smile? I don't want someone like that touching patients.

· Copping an attitude. I asked a woman why she didn't have any volunteer experience. She replied that she was too busy working. Fair enough, some people have lives, but she copped an attitude while delivering this, and I just wrote down "reject".

· Coming in with scripted answers and being unable to deviate from said script.

· Being ill-prepared for fairly common interview questions (e.g. Why this school? Why Medicine?)

· Thinking that always circling back to your accomplishments and how great you are impresses us.

· Making excuses for misdeeds. We had rejected someone once who had some fairly benign misdemeanors, but blamed it on the policemen who gave him the tickets.

· Don’t do show and tell. I don’t want you pulling out a binder with your resume or portfolio. Let your application speak for you.

· Being a babbling idiot. These are those people who can't answer a question concisely. I've sure you've met people like this...why bother using one word when ten will do? I suspect that they’re thinking for an answer while they're speaking, so the mouth is going while the brain tries to come up with something.

· It’s OK to gather your thoughts, but it’s not OK to blank out. This group includes the people who do something like this (and I am NOT making this up!):

goro: So tell me about this trip to Honduras
Interviewee: Well, we went there for a mission trip and...what was the question?
goro: (thinking: reject!)

Or the guy who, when asked "How does your hobby relate to the practice of Medicine?", and can't even say "It doesn't", and definitely can't even BS an answer, but sits there in a coma?

In Zoom interviews, it's noticeable when people reading another screen (like their phone), talking to someone else out of camera view, or looking down at a paper or tablet/laptop and reading off answers.

During the interview day:
You’re interviewing the school as much as they’re interviewing you. You’re potentially going to give $250K+ and four years of your life to this place, so be sure to ask them questions, especially to the students there, such as “why did you come here? Why didn’t you go to the other schools you interviewed at? What are the best things? What are the worst things?” Ask this of Faculty too!

What about MMIs?
Here’s some great advice:

Crayola227's interview tips

HomeSkool's Guide to Multiple Mini Interviews

See my post here for things that you should be asking about:

Goro's Guide to YOUR Interview Questions (2018 edition)

If applicable, also see:

Goro's Guide for YOUR Interview Questions at a DO School (2018 ed.)

AFTER the interview:
Unless the school specifically welcomes LOI or updates, your work is done. If you're wait-listed, don't pester them, lest you be seen as someone who can't follow simple directions, or feel so entitled that the rules don't apply to you. People do get off wait lists, but one more LOR, or having just gotten new job at the hospital, or submitted a paper, isn't likely to convince the Dean of Admissions to move you up.

So after the interview, this is where we, the Adcom come in. We meet and go over the candidates. For >75% of you, you're in. The other 25% we talk about. Many of you will have passionate advocates. We look over and discuss anything problematic, like a low sGPA, or how you were shy or nervous. If you're a borderline candidate, this is where a great set of LORs or essay may save you.

Many schools use a scoring system more like boxing or Olympic gymnastics. You are judged by several different people. The total scores determine your fate.

But even that is not absolute. For example, let's say that I may love you and give you a 10/10, but W, X, Y and Z might give you a 6, 7, 5 and 2. That's an average of 5 (20/4). You need a 7 or more to be accepted, while a 3 or worse will be rejected. So the Admissions dean now lists you as "wait list".

In the Adcom meeting, I argue that the candidate was a great kid, strong upward trend, decent MCAT, yada yada, etc etc. Y is also at the meeting, but his argument doesn't carry as much weight amongst the Adcom. W, X and Z didn't come to the meeting, and all we have are their notes to go on, and there's nothing damning among them. So I sway the committee to move the candidate to "Accept" status.

Here's a different scenario: Despite all interviewers loving you, the Dean has concerns about your GPA. The Dean loves high GPAs. So he overrules the committee, and onto the waitlist you go.

I see tons of posts concerning thank you cards. If you like being polite, go ahead and send one to the Admissions Dean. But contrary to pre-med urban legend, they have ZERO effect on your fate. By the time they’re received, the admissions committee has probably met or the interviewers have already sent in their recommendations.

One last word of advice: Treat every interview like it's the only one you'll ever get.

And good luck! I hope to meet some of you. But always have a Plan B.

Quick notes for interviewees at DO schools.

Everything on the other post holds true, but you also need to show that you know something about Osteopathy. Please don’t simply parrot what you read on Wiki, there’s more to it than that. Those people who have shadowed DOs and compared and contrasted them to MDs will know what I mean.

You will need to articulate the reasons of “Why Osteopathy”, and “why our school”, because the curriculum will be pretty much the same wherever you go (but the delivery will be different).

Do NOT bash MDs. Some of your interviewers will be MDs, or married to them. If you’ve had poor experiences with allopathic medicine, that’s OK to discuss.

If you’ve seen OMM or OMT in action, that’s a plus.

If you’ve shadowed a DO, that’s a plus.

If you have a DO in the family, that’s a plus.

Be serious about this as your career choice. Don’t look back. If you really want to go to an MD school, well, go for an MD school. We don’t want to see posts next summer entitled “Accepted at DO school but wait-listed at MD.. Do I reapply?”

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 55 users
Coming in with scripted answers and being unable to deviate from said script.

How are you able to distinguish someone with scripted answers from someone who has a robotic personality or from someone who has mastered eloquence/articulateness? Or from someone who has thought about this for so long that the answers just come out perfectly?

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you able to distinguish someone with scripted answers from someone who has a robotic personality or from someone who has mastered eloquence/articulateness? Or from someone who has thought about this for so long that the answers just come out perfectly?
Have you ever watched a politician reading from a teleprompter something that s/he didn't really want or say (think Der Tru...er, He Who Must NOT Be Named). It's quite a distinct way of speaking. Another variant is how bad actors read try to read a script. Just say out loud right now into a voice recorder: "My MCAT is a true reflection of what I am capable of".

Now play it back. How did it sound????

The scripted answers also are the same, no matter who is speaker.

Someone who's robotic, rather, talks in an emotionless tone for the entire interview.

Articulate people are exactly that. You pick up on it right away. And at our school, we are supposed to assess people on their communication skills. Doctors have to be able to communicate with patients, after all.

Reactions: 4 users
Listen carefully. I will ding interviewees severely if I ask them X and they answer Y. Here’s one example: sometimes I ask people what their hometown is. They interpret this as an opportunity to tell me their life story, when the question really was "so, Jack/Jill, where are you from?"

So, I've also heard some adcom advice (I think somewhere here on SDN) that one word answers are also a black mark on one's interviewing skills. How I interpreted that is that for a question like "so Jill, where are you from?", it be an invitation to talk briefly about my life growing up, at least as it pertains to why I am pursuing medicine or how it impacts myself as a future doctor. If asked of me, I wouldn't have thought to just give my answer of "Anytown, Anystate." How can I balance these opposing pieces of advice?

Reactions: 1 user
So, I've also heard some adcom advice (I think somewhere here on SDN) that one word answers are also a black mark on one's interviewing skills. How I interpreted that is that for a question like "so Jill, where are you from?", it be an invitation to talk briefly about my life growing up, at least as it pertains to why I am pursuing medicine or how it impacts myself as a future doctor. If asked of me, I wouldn't have thought to just give my answer of "Anytown, Anystate." How can I balance these opposing pieces of advice?

Jill, where are you from?

Is the question "tell me about your life growing up"???????

at least as it pertains to why I am pursuing medicine or how it impacts myself as a future doctor.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar-attributed to Sigmund Freud

Your response here would be more lethal. If I ask you a simple question, I expect you to understand it. Not every question or answer has to be framed in "Why Medicine?"

Getting back to your post, an extremely short answer to a complex question, or one that requires you to explain your answer, will also be lethal. Even in normal discourse, if you're asked a question like, "So, your hobby is reading?", don't you think that "Yes, I like the works of Steinbeck and Faulkner" would be a better answer than "Yes"?

Reactions: 2 users
Jill, where are you from?

Is the question "tell me about your life growing up"???????

at least as it pertains to why I am pursuing medicine or how it impacts myself as a future doctor.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar-attributed to Sigmund Freud

Your response here would be more lethal. If I ask you a simple question, I expect you to understand it. Not every question or answer has to be framed in "Why Medicine?"

Getting back to your post, an extremely short answer to a complex question, or one that requires you to explain your answer, will also be lethal. Even in normal discourse, if you're asked a question like, "So, your hobby is reading?", don't you think that "Yes, I like the works of Steinbeck and Faulkner" would be a better answer than "Yes"?
Thank you, that was helpful.

What are your suggestions for tackling a small group discussion/interview?

@Goro what are your opinions on piercings besides the traditional ear lobe i.e nose ring, cartilage piercing etc.?

So around 75% of those that were interviewed get accepted? I suppose that makes sense. MD schools do it the same way; right?

So around 75% of those that were interviewed get accepted? I suppose that makes sense. MD schools do it the same way; right?
At my school? Sounds about right.

A rough rule of thumb is that for any given school, multiply the number of seats by 2-3x to get number of accepts.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro Is it okay to give cliche answers if you personalize them and explain why they make you a good candidate/what you learned from them? Or would that be a negative for me as a candidate?

@Goro Is it okay to give cliche answers if you personalize them and explain why they make you a good candidate/what you learned from them? Or would that be a negative for me as a candidate?
It depends on the question in your answer. This is almost impossible to answer without being there in the room with you.

And what is this mania with the " what did I learn from it?" Unless you're asked specifically, that there's no need to add that to an answer.

I'm a firm believer in answering questions from the heart.

Show up with one of those at a medical school interview and I will reject you on the spot!
Wait... would a tiny nose stud like the ones that South Asian women often have be considered unprofessional?
This doesn't apply to me , I don't have one, but my understanding is that they can't easily be taken out.
And it is pretty common in the USA- a least two of my South Asian- American female friends have them, as well as my mother.

Wait... would a tiny nose stud like the ones that South Asian women often have be considered unprofessional?
This doesn't apply to me , I don't have one, but my understanding is that they can't easily be taken out.
And it is pretty common in the USA- a least two of my South Asian- American female friends have them, as well as my mother.
Well I hate looking at those, but those are so common that I won't penalize anybody for it.

of course they can be taken out -

Reactions: 1 users
One of my hobbies I put down is writing poetry, but I've had 2 interviewers so far take that to mean I liked reading it instead... (I'm guessing they didn't read my descriptions). It's like with sports where I like to play them but not watch them.

When asked about it Ive just talked about why I like to write poems and how it helps me destress:

For example:

Interviewer: I see you like poetry, are there any poets you particularly like?

Me: something along the lines of "I dont actually read much of it. I mainly just like to write poetry for myself as a way to get my thoughts down on paper and sort through them when I'm stressed out."

Would it be better to just look for an author I like and then use them to answer a question like this instead? One of my interviewers seemed fine with this answer but another seemed dissatisfied. To be fair that one seemed dissatisfied with most of my answers so felt like a poor interview overall (at my top choice no less :().

That’s the one I have and I have to go to my piercer to get it taken out as it’s impossible for me to do it myself. I assume since i’m east asian and it’s not part of our culture, the interviewer may not approve :(

@Goro what kind of answer would you like to hear from the “tell me about yourself” question?

@Goro what kind of answer would you like to hear from the “tell me about yourself” question?
I never ask that question, because I despise canned answers.

My advice is to answer the question as if your long lost Aunt Sophia visits you from Poland and asked you, "So, subdermallight sweetie, tell me about yourself".

I never ask that question, because I despise canned answers.

My advice is to answer the question as if your long lost Aunt Sophia visits you from Poland and asked you, "So, subdermallight sweetie, tell me about yourself".
I will probably laugh in my interviewers face now when I’m asked, THANKS Goro

Cartilage is pretty nonspecific. Is it a nose ring? Then probably want to take that out.
No just on my ear. I am female by the way. I already had a couple of interviews so i got nervous. Ill remove it for the future ones but now im nervous i didnt make the best impression

Last edited:
No just on my ear. I am female by the way. I already had a couple of interviews so i got nervous. Ill remove it for the future ones but now im nervous i didnt make the best impression
If it's one of those small rings, it should be fine. But if you look like you fell asleep face forward in a box full of fishing tackle, I'd work on Plan B.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
If it's one of those small rings, it should be fine. But if you look like you fell asleep face forward in a box full of fishing tackle, I'd work on Plan B.
Just for you, @Goro
If you haven't seen this comic strip, can you guess the character's name?
content.php.gif

During a group interview, do we answer individually and then discuss things with each other (interviewee’s and adcomms)? Or is it one interviee at a time?

I went to grab a cold one, but got caught by an RA, and now got an IA. Just kidding. ;)

This is amazing! I wish I had this when I was applying to medical school.

At my school? Sounds about right.

A rough rule of thumb is that for any given school, multiply the number of seats by 2-3x to get number of accepts.

I always thought that there were more accepts than seats to cover people who chose other acceptances, but 2x-3x seems high. What happens if a school accepts 3x the amount of seats and the majority of those people accept?

I always thought that there were more accepts than seats to cover people who chose other acceptances, but 2x-3x seems high. What happens if a school accepts 3x the amount of seats and the majority of those people accept?
The Admissions Deans engage in black arts to ensure these things don't happen. How they do it is still a mystery to me.

Just as an example, at my school
We interview ~500
accept 350
seat ~100

IF the Admissions Dean guesses wrong, schools usually offer incentives to people to delay matriculation for a year. And the Dean loses his/her job too.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
During a group interview, do we answer individually and then discuss things with each other (interviewee’s and adcomms)? Or is it one interviee at a time?
The way we do it it's one person answering a question put specifically to them at a time. Having the group answer the same question gives you the same answers.

The way we do it it's one person answering a question put specifically to them at a time. Having the group answer the same question gives you the same answers.
So from an adcom perspective, what exactly is the point of doing the group interview? From the applicant perspective it seems just like a 1 on 1 interview but broken up with other people's questions scattered in between your own

So from an adcom perspective, what exactly is the point of doing the group interview? From the applicant perspective it seems just like a 1 on 1 interview but broken up with other people's questions scattered in between your own
You seem how people interact as a team. This gives you insights that won't be found in a 1:1 interview. For example, if someone spaces out, doesn't list to their other interviewees, looks bored, fidgets, gives dismissives looks when another person is talking, you learn a lot about that person.

And yes, we have observed these behaviors, and rejected people for it.

Remember that Medicine is a team sport, so we ideally look for team players.

Reactions: 5 users
You seem how people interact as a team. This gives you insights that won't be found in a 1:1 interview. For example, if someone spaces out, doesn't list to their other interviewees, looks bored, fidgets, gives dismissives looks when another person is talking, you learn a lot about that person.

And yes, we have observed these behaviors, and rejected people for it.

Remember that Medicine is a team sport, so we ideally look for team players.

That makes sense. When I think “group interview” my mind went to Question poses to Bob, Bob answers, then group can discuss. I’m REALLY glad you cleared that up for me. Thanks.

Reactions: 3 users
so I’ve been fortunate enough to receive a few interviews so far and in each on I was asked “what will you do if you’re not admitted this cycle”. I had a fairly decent answer about analyzing my weak points etc but I’ve recently received my first acceptance and I was wondering if I should mention that if I’m asked the question again or if I should just stick with my original response

so I’ve been fortunate enough to receive a few interviews so far and in each on I was asked “what will you do if you’re not admitted this cycle”. I had a fairly decent answer about analyzing my weak points etc but I’ve recently received my first acceptance and I was wondering if I should mention that if I’m asked the question again or if I should just stick with my original response

Original response

EDIT: Congratulations!

Mention the accept and watch them squirm.

I learned the hard way to not ask that question that way.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Mention the accept and watch them squirm.

I learned the hard way to not ask that question that way.
So just mention the admission and then I assume follow it up with something about being interested in *insert program/trait of school im interviewing at*?

So just mention the admission and then I assume follow it up with something about being interested in *insert program/trait of school im interviewing at*?
nope just say "well, I've already been accepted." And leave it at that until the follow up question is asked, like " what was your plan B?"

nope just say "well, I've already been accepted." And leave it at that until the follow up question is asked, like " what was your plan B?"
Can't that backfire as sounding haughty? ( not that I think I'll be in that position...but js).

Fortunately I have an interview coming up, but I'm curious if there is anything in particular I should bring with me to the interview? Do I have a notepad with bullets of the questions I want to ask, or do I just commit to memory before the interview?

Also, I have just submitted a research article for publication. Is that something I bring up in the interview, or something I update the admissions committee about for the other programs I have applied to?

Fortunately I have an interview coming up, but I'm curious if there is anything in particular I should bring with me to the interview? Do I have a notepad with bullets of the questions I want to ask, or do I just commit to memory before the interview?

Also, I have just submitted a research article for publication. Is that something I bring up in the interview, or something I update the admissions committee about for the other programs I have applied to?
Do NOT do show and tell.

Submitted manuscripts are worthless. You know why? Because I could send my shopping list written in crayon to Nature and I could still truthfully write in my CV that it's a "manuscript submitted".

The idea of someone whipping out a pad with questions just rubs me the wrong way. Your mileage may vary with other interviewers. Let's poll some of my wiser colleagues:
@HomeSkool
@gyngyn
@gonnif
@LizzyM
@Moko
@Catalystik
@Mr.Smile12
@Med Ed
@Angus Avagadro

Do NOT do show and tell.

Submitted manuscripts are worthless. You know why? Because I could send my shopping list written in crayon to Nature and I could still truthfully write in my CV that it's a "manuscript submitted".

The idea of someone whipping out a pad with questions just rubs me the wrong way. Your mileage may vary with other interviewers. Let's poll some of my wiser colleagues:
@HomeSkool
@gyngyn
@gonnif
@LizzyM
@Moko
@Catalystik
@Mr.Smile12
@Med Ed
@Angus Avagadro

it’s not that hard memorizing some questions I’m sure

Do NOT do show and tell.

@HomeSkool
@gyngyn
@gonnif
@LizzyM
@Moko
@Catalystik
@Mr.Smile12
@Med Ed
@Angus Avagadro
1) Sure, drop the fact you had been part of a research team and your paper was recently submitted. As Goro noted, your mileage will vary but probably won't matter.

2) As an interviewer using conversational interviews, I like it if you had a pad of paper and some questions on it. I would hope you asked everyone the same questions and got different answers. :) I write and take notes if I were a candidate. That said, those better be really good questions worth writing down my answers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users