Program-Specific Info / Q's GPA and USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10ninja

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does USC look at your bachelor's gpa or OTCAS gpa in determining admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a response from Liz Carley, the director of admissions:

"to be a competitive applicant, my standard response is to look at each of the admission criteria and do your best to maximize each of the areas. That would include cumulative GPA (which would be hard to impact on short notice!), GRE score, prerequisite grades, the essay, and selecting recommenders who can attest to your suitability for the program academically as well as in light of the fact that occupational therapy is a helping profession. Of course all of your volunteer experience will be very valuable in terms of making a solid decision, your essay development, and ultimately your success in whatever program you enroll. We pay attention to the GRE score, and pay attention to the fact that the student has made an effort to maximize their score (i.e. studied and retook the test), but it does not dominate the decisions of the admission committee. The committee looks at each of the areas listed above in its efforts to make good decisions. Because programs are experiencing growing numbers of applicants, when I communicate with all applicants, I encourage them to consider more than one program since my hope is that there will be a place for all students who are strong candidates such as yourself. I hope that this is in some way helpful to you."

The cumulative GPA includes any classes taken after your BA, including your pre-requisites.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe Physio and Anatomy weigh pretty heavily in most programs, but their website says that courses should be passed with a 'C' or higher. I'd shoot for B and higher, especially if you are applying to multiple programs. Some programs require a B or higher in these courses. Good luck!

This was so helpful! Thank you both! I have a quick question: Is science gpa considered? That's the only area that I'm struggling. If only the cumulative gpa is considered, I should have a chance!

You should be good if you have a high overall gpa and didn't get below a B in any of the sciences. I had a B in chemistry and I got in...

Hey @MelloYello12! I got an A in Physiology, a B+ in Anatomy, and unfortunately, C-s in Bio 1 and Chem 1 from freshman year. So, according to OTCAS, my science gpa is a 2.8. I'm hoping that just the cumulative gpa is considered!

You never know. It's worth a shot so don't give up!

Reactions: 1 user