Status
Not open for further replies.

2+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I experienced a significant GPA drop from about a 3.7 to a 3.1 (by semester, cumulative did not significantly change) and I am wondering if and how I should address this in my essay? My GPA climbed back up after a couple semesters, so it's not just a downward trend.

The contributing factor for this was a major depressive episode. I lost motivation in a lot of aspects of life. This is a sensitive topic that I have only disclosed to a few people, so I'm not sure how much detail to provide in an essay or interview. Ideas...?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I think that that is high enough, and your momentary gpa drop was not low enough, to merit bringing attention to it. You may want to formulate a response if you are asked during an interview. I would not mention a bout of depression. Instead attribute it to "stress" and the "rigor" of the courses and tell them it was a "learning experience". These are safe words to use.

If you were doing things outside of class I would mention those as well. Just say you learned from that semester, and that your good work in subsequent semesters is evidence that you now understand what it takes to be a good student.

OP

2+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I think that that is high enough, and your momentary gpa drop was not low enough, to merit bringing attention to it. You may want to formulate a response if you are asked during an interview. I would not mention a bout of depression. Instead attribute it to "stress" and the "rigor" of the courses and tell them it was a "learning experience". These are safe words to use.

If you were doing things outside of class I would mention those as well. Just say you learned from that semester, and that your good work in subsequent semesters is evidence that you now understand what it takes to be a good student.
Yeah, I figured I would approach it that way. I was also engaged in research at that time and still learning how to study effectively. Thanks for your response!

Oct 26, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, I figured I would approach it that way. I was also engaged in research at that time and still learning how to study effectively. Thanks for your response!
Yup. I mean, you could talk about it in a secondary if you want. I just think it isn't significant enough that you would want to draw attention to it when it might go unnoticed. How does it appear on your AMCAS under the gpa summary page?

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I experienced a significant GPA drop from about a 3.7 to a 3.1 (by semester, cumulative did not significantly change) and I am wondering if and how I should address this in my essay? My GPA climbed back up after a couple semesters, so it's not just a downward trend.

The contributing factor for this was a major depressive episode that I slipped into when I tried to come out to my mom as queer and it basically shattered our relationship for a year. I lost motivation in a lot of aspects of life. This is a sensitive topic that I have only disclosed to a few people, so I'm not sure how much detail to provide in an essay or interview. Ideas...?
In your primary PS you do not need to mention this, stick to why medicine
on most secondaries you likely wont need to mention it either as it was 1 term thing
if you need to mention it and want to stay private, simply say something along the lines of stress over a family issue and leave it at that

Reactions: 010011
Status
Not open for further replies.