GPA for Optometry School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wizzleg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am applying to optometry school this upcoming cycle. As an undergrad, I went to a community college for 3 years before I transferred my four-year (UC) school. I took all of my lower division requirements like biology, chemistry, ochem, physics, and calculus at my community college. My GPA at my UC is 3.4 but my overall combined GPA from both schools is 3.7. I wanted to know if optometry schools will only look at my UC GPA or will they look at my overall GPA?

I am just concerned because my UC GPA is slightly lower and if that will affect my admissions to an optometry school. My OAT scores were 340AA, 360TS

Members don't see this ad.

Where are you applying? Optometry schools will look at your overall GPA. I know some schools do not like community college credits, so do keep an eye for those before you decide to apply. OptomCAS calculates your science GPA and comes up with its own "average" for optometry schools to look at. If you retake a class in the same institution, they will replace the old grade with the new one. If you retook a class in a different institution, then they will take an average of the two grades. Your OAT scores and GPA are competitive enough to get you into any optometry school, just make sure that you apply early to maximize your chances and really show why optometry is for you. Hope this is helpful!

OptomCAS formulates several different GPAs so they will see both (transfer and combined).