GPA issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rxdream

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Need some inputs please. My GPA is only 2.58. Do I have a chance of getting into a pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad.

Rxdream said:
Hi Everyone

Need some inputs please. My GPA is only 2.58. Do I have a chance of getting into a pharmacy school?
Probably not. Do you have any more pre-reqs so you could bring up your GPA? Is the 2.58 only your pharm pre-reqs averaged in, or are there classes that have nothing to do with math or science that are bringing down your average? If it's your math and science that are low, you might want to retake them to pull up your GPA. Otherwise I would say your chances are pretty slim.

Rxdream said:
Hi Everyone

I think it depends. It depends whether you have e.c. activities, experience, good pcat scores, strong letter of recommendation, etc. that can improve your overall outlook. It depends on what school you're looking at, and what they're looking for in their applicants. However some schools require atleast a 3.0 gpa to even apply... and some schools only look at your pre-req. gpa...

My cumulative gpa is around yours, and my math and science is 3.5+... I have gotten all sorts of comments from both ends about my chances of getting in. GPA is not the only thing that matters, but if you can, retake some classes and boost it up. I believe the chance is still there :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, your total application is really what will decide your chances of getting in. (just my opinion, other people may disagree)

1. do you have a degree yet? if not, then just take, and retake classes to bring up your gpa. if so, then get back into school part time as quick as possible, which shows great initiative. I graduated a couple of years ago, with a not so stellar gpa. I had a biology degree, with no direction. However, I have been back in school now for 2 years part time, while working full time. My gpa is higher now, because i retook some classes and got better grades in them, and took other prereqs that I was delinquent in. DO WELL IN THESE CLASSES!!!!

2. Get a job that uses your scientific knowledge, lab assistant, research assistant, and get some pharmacy experience.

3. Lead some organizations, (not just be members), for this will show leadership qualities.

4. Basically work on everything else if your gpa cant be changed that much.

I have worked for 40hrs+ and taken 2 classes each semester for two years, with lots of late labs and classes (til 10 sometimes), however, you have to do what u must do to get to where u want to be. I have gotten interviews, so i hope my hard work pays off.

P.S.

Do, (not try to do), but do well on the pcat.

This is just my two cents

Find a new major :p it only gets harder

It never hurts to try. As long as you meet the minimum, you can still be in the game. Some schools do not set a minimum just to accept students with really high GPAs. If schools normally or only accept students with 3.0+, then they would set their minimum at 3.00 (The pharmacy school in Monroe, LA will begin to raise their minimum next year to 3.00).

But whether you have a 4.0 or a 2.5, it also doesn't hurt to have a back up plan either.

My parents always told me to not let people discourage you. Those people may be jealous. Or they may be in the same boat as you and may want to eliminate competition. Don't let them make you feel bad. Again, it DOESN'T HURT TO TRY.

Hope this helps. :)

Chubba Chubbs

legaia ,

Just out of curiosity, are you in pharmacy school to know that it only gets harder? I have friends in pharmacy schools that said that once you're in (which is the hardest part), it's basically all memorization.

ChubbaChubby said:
legaia ,

Just out of curiosity, are you in pharmacy school to know that it only gets harder? I have friends in pharmacy schools that said that once you're in (which is the hardest part), it's basically all memorization.
yes and i have friends that would completely disagree with your friends...
that is BS about getting in being the hardest part

bbmuffin said:
yes and i have friends that would completely disagree with your friends...
that is BS about getting in being the hardest part

Absolutely true.

During my last semester of undergrad, I took Organic II + lab, Biochem + lab, Micro + lab, Physics II + lab, and a senior research project which required a 30 page paper.

Pharmacy school is much more difficult than that and more time consuming.

I wouldn't say pharmacy school's that much harder (I went to a tough undergrad university). It's more about time management. My aunt works with a girl who's pre-pharm, and my aunt keeps complaining that I study too much and never have much time unlike that girl who's pre-pharm -- and I don't even study half as much as most of my classmates.

However, undergrad GPA is important because a lot of the stuff you learn should have some retention to help you get through pharmacy school. Those of us who have had prior experience in biochemistry, physiology, etc. find it much easier first year, but even the prereq's are important. Remembering your general chem, orgo, and micro will come in handy so be sure to get good grades, as well as trying to learn something from the classes ;)

Yeah, I definitely agree with most ofyou....i am in my fourth year of pharmacy school ( almost there, I graduate in Sept!) Sure, pharmacy school can be all memorization, but you need to study more to retain it! Trust me, you will need this on rotation, you start to realize how important everything is on your clinicals. I hope this helps....good luck to all of you first years. Congrats to anyone who got into CCP ( I am an AGO student there).

Yes, I agree that pharmacy schools look at the total application...BUT...most of them, like most medical schools, do an initial screening of your numbers. If you don't meet the cutoffs for PCAT and GPA, you will not get a supplemental application, the pharmacy school will not read your personal statement, letters of rec, etc. Most schools suggest 3.0 as a minimum. I personally would not apply with less than a 3.0, and 3.3 is even safer. I'd suggest boosting the GPA before applying. You could have joined the Peace Corps, cured cancer, ran marathons, and been a pharmacy tech extraordinaire, but the admissions committees will not know that unless they look at your application, and they won't look at your application unless your numbers are good enough. Focus on boosting the GPA, and if you're applying to PCAT schools, shoot for the 90s, because with a low GPA, that's where you'll need to be. Best of luck to you.

I personally haven't used any of my undergraduate stuff past my 1st year in pharm school.. the important stuff to retain... as stated by the 4th year... is the stuff you learn that pertains to drugs/pharmacy/stuff you learn in pharmacy school.

memorization may work to pass your classes but it will become more and more difficult as you move on because they expected you to actually LEARN the material...

I'm in my 1st year of pharmacy school. There is A LOT of information to retain and NEVER enough time to learn and understand everything. Memorization is important. You're going to dispense drugs, not create them.

ChubbaChubby said:
legaia ,

Chubbs,

No, I applied and got rejected. I have no idea what pharmacy school is like. I only write random useless information. The thing is, pharmacy school is competitive, almost all applicants have good grades/pcats/EC now a days.

legaia said:
Chubbs,

No, I applied and got rejected. I have no idea what pharmacy school is like. I only write random useless information. The thing is, pharmacy school is competitive, almost all applicants have good grades/pcats/EC now a days.

Of course i'm a pharmacy school. I dont' know of anybody in my class that got in sub 2.8. And that 2.8 guy got a 99 on the pcats. So. if you dont' have good grades, u better do well on your pcats or u have no hope :(.

I have a pharmacology test friday and i have to memorize the endocrinology section thats like 120 pages of notes for a measily 20 question test.

Oh well. hopefully i'll get 18 of those 20 correct.

My friend told me that she had a 2.7 and 70 pcat score. But she's a 1st year pharm student with me. I was quite surprised. So you really don't know how the admissions committee will decide. Don't get too discouraged by others. Unless somebody has a mom or dad on the admissions committee, no one really knows how people are picked. You may get lucky. But do try to bring your grades up if you can.

Use the test packets! There are tons of old exams that circulate throughout some of the best pharmacy schools in the country. Use them wisely young ones. They sometimes go by the name study guide.

gdk420 said:
Use the test packets! There are tons of old exams that circulate throughout some of the best pharmacy schools in the country. Use them wisely young ones. They sometimes go by the name study guide.

This is probably the best way to ace your exams. Knowing how the professors ask their exam questions will help you a lot!!!

Now a note to the OP, screw it, if you applied to all of the pharmacy schools in the USA, Canada, Europe, Asia, Middle East and etc. you will still be rejected. Sorry for being too truthful but it is true!!! However you may get into a non-accred. school like THE ONE mentioned on this forum MANY MANY TIMES!!! I think it is located on an island somewhere, but do a google, you might find your answer. :thumbup: