Gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pp531

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello eveyone, I am new to SDn bt had a quick question. would you advise someone who had a current GPA of 2.8 california resident to apply? they still have 3 semesters to finish for a BS, maybe still time to raise the GPA. Should they apply for 2008 or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello eveyone, I am new to SDn bt had a quick question. would you advise someone who had a current GPA of 2.8 california resident to apply? they still have 3 semesters to finish for a BS, maybe still time to raise the GPA. Should they apply for 2008 or not?

apply EARLY the first day, get all A's the next 3 sememsters....ALL A's...NO EXCUSE....and kill the DAT's...if you don't get in, apply next year... you should have a good shot

If you don't raise your GPA... Good luck even if you score well on the DAT.

As encouragement to raise your GPA... My roommate has gone through two application cycles without an interview. He scored a 25 on the DAT, but had a 2.75BCP

Raise your GPA as much as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
3 semesters to finish,, that means that you probably have somewhere around 80 credits or so? Maybe if you get like all A's (especially science classes!) on your remaining classes, then you might raise it to like a 3.2 or so? then you denfinately would have a chance. Otherwise, post-bacc or masters would be ideal, in my opinion.

I've heard quite a bit that GPA is important. I think if you have a really low GPA, you'll have an uphill battle unless there's something else really special about you that stands out.

Be sure to include some upper level division sciences so schools can see that you can handle them.

Since I was in a somewhat similar situation, let me tell you what happened to me. I applied last year, and didn't get in, and then, I graduated. I decided to take upper level classes this year (400's and up) and have scored well. My DAT's 20/21/22, and my letters of recommendation were all good. I also set myself appart by being as involved in dentistry as possible. This year, I applied semi early and did get into one school ( I was actually going to wait one more year, but just applied to two schools and got into the one I wanted this year). I suggest applying on the first day. Anyway, hopefully this helps.

Based on the collective summary of answers you will generally find here regarding a GPA question of that nature, you need to load those last semesters with some intense classes and score well. Attaint at least a 3.7 each semester, get involved with dentistry and shadowing and dominate the DATs. You should not be in any hurry to go to dental school at all. You want to apply showing your best and maximum potential. Best