GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone attending USF? Would love to connect to people going there!

Members don't see this ad :)
University: 7 Sisters (Mt. Holyoke, Wellesley, Smith)
Major: Political Science
Undergrad GPA 3.20
Overall cumulative GPA (PTCAS): 2.999
Post-Bac GPA 2.57 (2Fs)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.01 (PTCAS) but as high as 3.404 for another school
Last 60 Hours: 2.57
GRE: 162 V 152 Q 4.0 A
Other: currently taking Physics II and will take Precalculus

Work: Non-Trad student, 8 years working as a personal trainer and 2 in non-profit admin. I worked full-time while completing pre-reqs and this shows.
Observation Hours: 60 (and counting) outpatient orthopedic,10 pediatrics, 25 inpatient, 5 Orthopedic Outpatient (Abroad), 7 Aqua therapy
Volunteer: Humane Society 2 hour/week average, Nutrition Education, HIV Prevention

Applied: Arcadia, Seton Hall University, The Sage Colleges, University of New England, Widener, New York Medical College, Alvernia, MCPHS University, TJU,Franklin Pierce NH, American International College, Touro Bayshore
Interviews: none
Wait listed: MCPHS University 4/9
Acceptances: none
Rejections: The Sage Colleges, University of New England, Widener, New York Medical College, Alvernia,TJU,Franklin Pierce NH

Last edited:
Hi everyone I am new to this forum. I will be applying for the next cycle. I would appreciate some advice regarding my questions:
My Stats:
cgpa: 3.2
prereq: 3.3
GRE (Taking it May)

My questions:
1. I have two Cs in my prereq. ( physics 1 and Chem 1B). Did any of you have two Cs and still get accepted?
2. People who got accepted/waitlisted, did you have any D's on your transcript and then retook the classes?
3. If you retook classes did you get less then an A? I retook chem 1B but I got a C :/ not my best subject.

I can't do much about my gpas therefore, I am studying my butt off for the GRE and hoping to get in somewhere the first time around.

Thank you!

Hey I had a C in orgoChem1 a D in orgoChem2. I retook orgoChem2 and got a C. I also got a D in Cell Biology. I know these classes are not considered prerequisites but they were on my transcript.

I did have a B- in Calculus (which is a prereq) and a C- in Physics 2 but I retook it and received an A. My cGPA was around a 3.43.

Anything is possible! I got accepted to 2 of the 3 schools I applied and waitlisted to the 3rd. Like you said study for the GRE! Remember, the application is not based solely on grades so make sure you have strong recommendations and clinical experience hours. However, do make sure you check the schools you are applying to because some specifically state you cannot have Cs in more than one prereq and some even require a B or better. Just do your research and good luck!

Hi everyone I am new to this forum. I will be applying for the next cycle. I would appreciate some advice regarding my questions:
My Stats:
GRE (Taking it May)

My questions:
1. I have two Cs in my prereq. ( physics 1 and Chem 1B). Did any of you have two Cs and still get accepted?
2. People who got accepted/waitlisted, did you have any D's on your transcript and then retook the classes?
3. If you retook classes did you get less then an A? I retook chem 1B but I got a C :/ not my best subject.

I can't do much about my gpas therefore, I am studying my butt off for the GRE and hoping to get in somewhere the first time around.

Thank you!

depending on the school, some allow 1 C or 2 C or no C.. definitely look up the requirements and reach out to schools to find out what their exact requirements are..
most schools also won't take a course lower than a C if it is a pre-req so i suggest taking the class over but again, sit down with an advisor from a school you want to apply to/go to and they can tell you what you need to be accepted
when you retake a course, some schools will take the higher of the two grades and some will average.. again, ask the schools because they are all different
your stats are on the lower side as a lot of gpa's accepted are 3.5+ so i recommend retaking courses! good luck!

Is anyone on the alternate list @ Columbia? Also, does anyone know how likely it is to be accepted off of the alternate list?

Thanks and best of luck to everyone!

Is anyone on the alternate list @ Columbia? Also, does anyone know how likely it is to be accepted off of the alternate list?

Thanks and best of luck to everyone!

I was put on the alternate list with a "75% chance of acceptance into the program." They said they don't rank - im assuming they do some sort of a tier system

Nope, no reason given. They just said I wasn't selected and wished me luck in future endeavors. My best guess is that I am both out of state and out of region. Public programs have been historically known to prefer in-state applicants, or at least in-region. With that being said, I would say yes, my GPA and GRE scores were not nearly high enough to be competitive with the other few out-of-state applicants who DID get accepted.

Based on what i've seen, your GRE is right up there with the average for Madison's scores, however your GPA is on the lower end of the spectrum. It definitely has to be that and the fact that you're out of region. Thanks for the response!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
University:
Major:
Overall GPA: 3.2
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5
GRE: Q151 V150 A4

Extra-Curric: intramurals, bsu, laso, science learning community etc

Volunteer: about 2000 I was a full time aide

Acceptances: Rutgers

Rejections: Like 8 lol

Last edited:
University of Houston
Major: Biology with a minor in Kinesiology
GPA: 3.61
Prerequisite: 3.8
GRE: Q 158 V 154 AW 4.5

Extra Curr: 250+ hours volunteering various settings

I was accepted into UF and USF!

still haven't heard from touro, when did you apply/hear back?
Hi, I haven't heard back from Touro yet, either. I'm also waiting to hear from Arcadia, American International College and Seton Hall.

Anyone currently accepted at U Miami, but on the fence about another school? I'm currently on the waiting list and hoping to get a seat.

Is anyone changing their mind about attending Rutgers South or Stockton University? I am currently waitlisted at both and hope to get in one of the two. Thanks!

Oh okay! Let me know if you have any question about USF's program to help your decision! :)
I've heard of lots of people applying to USF with good stats, but getting denied because of a missing requirement. Do you know anything about this?

Final Update!

University: University of Georgia-
Major: Biology
Last 40 hr GPA: 3.41
Prereq GPA: 3.01-3.55
Post-Bac: 4.0
GRE: 152V|160Q|4.5AW

EC: Basketball coach/captain for campus organization, Intramural sports year round, Community Outreach Officer - Homeless projects and nursing home volunteer at 2 church ministries, Worship Team Leader for 2 campus organizations and 2 church ministries.

PT hours (~1300+ hours):
Volunteer: Acute Care (21 hours), SNF (50 hours), Private Outpatient Ortho (31 hours)
Work: Outpatient Hospital (940 hours), OP Ortho (300+ hours) Inpatient Rehab (50+ hours)

Applied: Georgia Regents University (8/24), Chapman (8/24), Angelo State University (8/31), University of North Georgia (9/3), Georgia State University (9/28), Mercer (9/30), Emory and Henry College (10/15), Hampton University, University of St. Augustine (San Marcos) (12/15)

Interviews: GRU (10/9), Angelo State (11/6), Emory and Henry College (12/4)
Rejections: UNG, GSU, Mercer, Chapman, Hampton, USA
Wait list: GRU
Acceptances: Emory and Henry College (1/19), Angelo State University (4/21)
Attending: Angelo State University!

It was a rather stressful process, but it was so worth. I'll be withdrawing from Emory and Henry College's fall cohort very soon for anyone waiting patiently on their alternate list.
For those of you starting school in the summer... scary how time flies, huh? wOw.

Good luck to everyone else and good luck to next year's applicants. It sucks during but it pays off. Cheers.

Reactions: 3 users
University: Stetson University
Major: Integrative Health Science
Minor: Public Health Studies
Last 60 Credit Hours GPA: ~3.85
Prerequisite GPA: ~3.5
Cumulative GPA: ~3.6
GRE: 155V 159Q 4.0AW
Observation Hours: ~100 in various settings

Applying to UCF, USF, UF, UNF, FGCU, & University of St. Augustine

Any tips or advice for these schools or my stats?

University: Stetson University
Major: Integrative Health Sciences
Minor: Public Health Studies
Last 60 Credit Hours GPA: ~3.85
Prerequisite GPA: ~3.67
Cumulative GPA: ~3.59
GRE: 155 V, 155 Q, 4.0 AW
Observation Hours: ~200 hours in various settings (SNF, Outpatient, Acute, Neuro)

Extracurriculars: Former D1 athlete, Anatomy and Physiology tutor, Health and Medical Statistics tutor, Club Golf, Community Emergency Response Team

Will also be working in an ALF this summer as a rehab tech.

Applying to UCF, St. Augustine, UF, UNF, FGCU, USF, UNC, and Duke

Looking for some advice for application process and thoughts on my stats? Thanks

My Stats:
GRE (Taking it May)

My questions:

Thank you!

1) This is kind of late but I actually had about 4 C's (A&P I+II Lectures, Chem I Lecture+Lab) and I got accepted into a program this year!
2) I had no D's. Only C's on my transcript and a C- here and there
3) I attempted to retake classes but only rose a lab grade from a C- to a B.

I think there are a ton of other factors that contribute to a person's acceptance. I did a ton of community service and I think that helped a lot in my application. I had about the same GPA you have so it is possible! Good luck!

University: UCSD
Major: General Biology
Overall GPA: 3.54
PTCAS Pre-req GPA: 3.4
GRE: 148 V, 158 Q, 4.0 AW
Observation Hours: 20 inpatient, 321 various outpatient (orthopedics, neurological, pediatrics, geriatrics, sport)
Extra-Curricular: High school special education assistant, TA for nutrition and metabolic biochemistry, sports clubs supervisor, volunteered at braille center and retirement home (4 years), Global Medical Brigades (2 years), Sorority leadership positions, AVID tutor.

Applied: Arcadia, California State University, Fresno, Creighton, Elon, Franklin Pierce, George Washington, Rutgers, Thomas Jefferson, University of Maryland, University of South Florida, USC, Winston-Salem Sate, Shenandoah University, University of New England

Interviews: Rutgers, Creighton, UNE (declined), Thomas Jefferson, Elon (declined), Shenandoah University (declined), Shenandoah University (decline), UNE (declined)

Waitlists: USF, Fresno

Acceptances: Creighton, Rutgers (Newark), Thomas Jefferson

Rejections: University of Maryland, USC, Winston-Salem State, George Washington, Arcadia

Attending: Creighton University

Reactions: 1 users
University: San Francisco State University
Major: Biology (concentration Physiology, minor Chemistry)

cGPA: 3.56 (lowest grades were C- in ochem 2 and a C+ in chem2, both extenuating circumstances. Includes abnormal and dev psych, death/dying, and a couple grad-level bio courses)
Pre-req GPA: 3.46
GRE: 162 V, 162 Q, 4.5 W (90/83/80 percentile)

Observation: 225 inpatient, 142 outpatient (all in one rehabilitation hospital, various departments)
Other: 3 yr Primary research + mentoring (includes middle author paper, grants, symposiums, etc), Community leadership (4 years) Computer Repair/Medical Scribe work experience. Took a year off before applying, in all going to start DPT classes after being out of a major uni program for nearly 4 years.

Applied: Samuel Merritt, St. Ambrose, UCalifornia San Fran/San Fran State U, UNevada Las Vegas, U Pittsburgh, U Washington, West Coast U

Interviews: All but Pittsburgh/Washington (no-interview schools)
Waitlists: All but Washington (rejected) and WCU, initial position 30 to 70
Rejections: Washington
Acceptances/attending: WCU

In all, 11 applications (including last year) and 10 effective rejections. Pretty humbling, but a buddy of mine also tried 2 years to get into grad school and was rejected 7 out of 8 times - and now works at an R1 uni. Gonna make it count >:3

Where else did you apply if you don't mind me asking?
I applied to 3 schools in TX- UNTHSC, TWU and UTMB

I was waitlisted at all of them!

Looks like Florida wants me more than Texas haha

I applied to 3 schools in TX- UNTHSC, TWU and UTMB

I was waitlisted at all of them!

Looks like Florida wants me more than Texas haha
What factors are you mostly looking at for USF and UF?

I've heard of lots of people applying to USF with good stats, but getting denied because of a missing requirement. Do you know anything about this?
Yeah that happens a lot. But thats the same for every program. Each school wants their own set of required classes, volunteer hours, etc. and if you didn't take a certain class or didn't get the required grade in that class, they don't accept your application.

What factors are you mostly looking at for USF and UF?
I have never visited the schools before, I am trying to attend the open houses before I make a decision.

I know USF and UF have great programs! So I guess it will just come down to personal preference such as location/living areas.

Does anyone know how many people have been taken off the wait list at Indiana University Purdue University in Indianapolis? This school is my original alma mater, but I guess I am their subpar pick. :/ School does not start for them till August, but I went from #32 to #19 to now higher than that. Thoughts anyone?

Just got an interview at TJU. Did anyone else get one? Anyone know what the interview process is like?

I haven't done this yet.. Maybe because I didn't want to hear what other people thought of my chances.. I read enough though to have a good idea on my own. But now that I am in a program I am comfortable sharing this info..

I am going back to school after almost 8 years off!

University: University of Montana
Major: Environmental Studies (BA)
Overall GPA (PTCAS) : Undergrad 3.19: Post Bac- 4.0: Cum- 3.38
Pre-Req GPA: 3.68
GRE: 162 V 152 Q 5.0 AW

Observation: ~110 hours, in 5 settings
inpatient- acute, rehab, snf //// outpatient- sports, peds, dry needling, aquatics

Recommendations- I feel like this was one of my strongest components of my application.

Applied: University of Montana, Northern Arizona University, Idaho State University

Interviews: na
Acceptances: ISU
Waitlist: na
Rejections: UM, NAU

Katelly, thanks for sharing your stats!

I have a couple of questions, why do you think the letters of recommendation was one of the strongest components of your application?

were you able to read your recommendations before you put it in PTCAS application online?

How many LOR have you obtained?

Thanks for your help in advance

Is anyone attending American international college for dpt this summer? Looking to connect with others in the program!

University: San Francisco State University
Major: Biology (concentration Physiology, minor Chemistry)

cGPA: 3.56 (lowest grades were C- in ochem 2 and a C+ in chem2, both extenuating circumstances. Includes abnormal and dev psych, death/dying, and a couple grad-level bio courses)
Pre-req GPA: 3.46
GRE: 162 V, 162 Q, 4.5 W (90/83/80 percentile)

Observation: 225 inpatient, 142 outpatient (all in one rehabilitation hospital, various departments)
Other: 3 yr Primary research + mentoring (includes middle author paper, grants, symposiums, etc), Community leadership (4 years) Computer Repair/Medical Scribe work experience. Took a year off before applying, in all going to start DPT classes after being out of a major uni program for nearly 4 years.

Applied: Samuel Merritt, St. Ambrose, UCalifornia San Fran/San Fran State U, UNevada Las Vegas, U Pittsburgh, U Washington, West Coast U

Interviews: All but Pittsburgh/Washington (no-interview schools)
Waitlists: All but Washington (rejected) and WCU, initial position 30 to 70
Rejections: Washington
Acceptances/attending: WCU

In all, 11 applications (including last year) and 10 effective rejections. Pretty humbling, but a buddy of mine also tried 2 years to get into grad school and was rejected 7 out of 8 times - and now works at an R1 uni. Gonna make it count >:3
I'm trying to figure out how you got rejected from so many places when your stats are so good...

Just got an interview at TJU. Did anyone else get one? Anyone know what the interview process is like?
Interviewed in January and got waitlisted. It's a group (3 applicants) interview with 2 admissions faculty followed by a tour of the campus.

With USF people see minimum of 3.2 prerequisites and believe they meet the requirements, But they don't realize you can not have a single C in any class. It states you need a 3.2-4.0 in every class, as well as your overall GPA. If you school does -/+ system, that also means you can not have a B-. That's why so many people waste their money for this school and then are unsure why it says that they don't meet the requirements.

Reactions: 2 users
Final Update

Major: Psychology with a minor in Biology
Overall GPA: 3.46
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4
GRE: 154 V 157 Q 5.0 AW

Extra Curricular:

Business manager/writer for the school newspaper, Society of Women Engineers (worked with other members to get local girls interested in STEM), Women's Mentor Program, Active Minds, Relay for Life, intramural volleyball, tour guide.

Observation:
47 outpatient orthopedics, 20 outpatient pediatrics/aquatics, 30 SNF, 10 elementary school

Applied: New York Medical College, NYU, Sage, Stony Brook, Sacred Heart University, University of Scranton
Interviews: NYU (11/6), NYMC (11/13), Stony Brook (declined)
Acceptances: NYMC (11/23), NYU (11/25)
Rejections: Sacred Heart (1/4), University of Scranton (1/6), Sage

Emailed Sage and they told me I was rejected, however, I still haven't gotten an official admissions notification.

Attending:
New York Medical College!

I received a phone call on Sunday evening from Sage College offering me a spot in their program. I've turned it down since I'm already attending NYMC. I guess they have a kind of waitlist that they don't inform students about because I was under the assumption I was rejected. Spots opened up after students from their 3+3 program didn't get the needed grades for this semester.

With USF people see minimum of 3.2 prerequisites and believe they meet the requirements, But they don't realize you can not have a single C in any class. It states you need a 3.2-4.0 in every class, as well as your overall GPA. If you school does -/+ system, that also means you can not have a B-. That's why so many people waste their money for this school and then are unsure why it says that they don't meet the requirements.
I spoke to someone at USF today and they said that all that mattered was the 3 GPA's they look at to be above 3.2.

I spoke to someone at USF today and they said that all that mattered was the 3 GPA's they look at to be above 3.2.
I'm not sure if they changed it but according to why my application was not even given the chance to be looked at this year was because of a GPA that was not one of those 3. I took some DPT graduate courses during undergrad and got a C in one, which taking it as an undergrad means you get a B in the class according to my universities GPA calculations. Unfortunately PTCAS views it differently and calculates the C grade. Anyways I have a 3.7 overall, 3.62 science and math, way above 3.2 under every section except one where I have a 3.14 (this is only one section, not one of the main sections) and this made my application thrown out. So go to your PTCAS -> go to GPA calculations -> and next to every course there is a GPA calculation. All of those are supposed to be above a 3.2 according to why my Application wouldn't be reviewed. Hopefully they changed it though because a lot of people have complained about why they have been receiving that email when they met the main minimum criteria. [hopefully that little rant made sense and you can figure out where to look if applying to USF the next cycle.]

I'm not sure if they changed it but according to why my application was not even given the chance to be looked at this year was because of a GPA that was not one of those 3. I took some DPT graduate courses during undergrad and got a C in one, which taking it as an undergrad means you get a B in the class according to my universities GPA calculations. Unfortunately PTCAS views it differently and calculates the C grade. Anyways I have a 3.7 overall, 3.62 science and math, way above 3.2 under every section except one where I have a 3.14 (this is only one section, not one of the main sections) and this made my application thrown out. So go to your PTCAS -> go to GPA calculations -> and next to every course there is a GPA calculation. All of those are supposed to be above a 3.2 according to why my Application wouldn't be reviewed. Hopefully they changed it though because a lot of people have complained about why they have been receiving that email when they met the main minimum criteria. [hopefully that little rant made sense and you can figure out where to look if applying to USF the next cycle.]
It made perfect sense. Lol. That's crazy if they still do that. I'm hoping the person I talked to was right. All my GPA's are above 3.2, but I did get a C freshman year so it worries me a little.

It made perfect sense. Lol. That's crazy if they still do that. I'm hoping the person I talked to was right. All my GPA's are above 3.2, but I did get a C freshman year so it worries me a little.
Just check and see if all your GPAs when calculated are above a 3.2, mine wasn't just because I didn't have any other A&P courses in the "other" category to raise it because my A&P classes were in A&P Biology section. I was just mad I wasted my money and their minimum requirements are either not clear enough or they tossed my application for no reason because I had been talking to an admissions person from there since I started undergraduate. I did change my mind of wanting to go there luckily but still, I did spend the money on the application before I started realized this and would've appreciated the chance to have my application reviewed. Best of luck though!!!!

Just check and see if all your GPAs when calculated are above a 3.2, mine wasn't just because I didn't have any other A&P courses in the "other" category to raise it because my A&P classes were in A&P Biology section. I was just mad I wasted my money and their minimum requirements are either not clear enough or they tossed my application for no reason because I had been talking to an admissions person from there since I started undergraduate. I did change my mind of wanting to go there luckily but still, I did spend the money on the application before I started realized this and would've appreciated the chance to have my application reviewed. Best of luck though!!!!
Yeah I know what you mean! Are you in a program now?

Katelly, thanks for sharing your stats!

I have a couple of questions, why do you think the letters of recommendation was one of the strongest components of your application?

were you able to read your recommendations before you put it in PTCAS application online?

How many LOR have you obtained?

Thanks for your help in advance

I had 4 LORs. I read one of them. I had to really hassle my boss to get around to writing it, but when he finally did he called me into his office and wrote it right there in front of me. He had me direct him about important points to make. The other two were from PTs, one who turned out to be a good friend of mine and the other who gave me a lot of really positive feedback about my future as a PT. She was really encouraging and really appreciated all the questions I asked when I was shadowing her. The last one was from my anatomy professor who is a great teacher. I took his class because I heard he was the best and most personable anatomy professor at my school. I also took the summer session of A&P 1 so he really got to know me more than he would have during a normal semester.

I also felt like my GPA was pretty weak going into all this. I did have a year of straight As in pre-reqs to add to my application by the time it was all said and done which definitely helped but ASU didn't know that when they rejected me, and UM didn't really care.

After speaking with UM they said the biggest thing I could do to improve my application would be to retake the prereqs that I had Bs in from undergrad. Chem and stats. I was ready to do that this year before I got accepted at ISU.

Hey folks. Is anyone waitlisted at Seton Hall? AIC or MCPHSU?