GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Undergrad: university of Michigan
Major: movement science
Cum gpa: 3.4
Pre req gpa: 3.2
GRE: 155 v 158 q 4.0 AW
Hours: 120 all settings
Extra cirriculars: Greek life, captain of sports team, research in hospital, coach.

Applying: u of m flint, central university, Wayne state, Regis, UCD, northeastern
Any thoughts on my chances or where to apply? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Undergrad: University of California, Los Angeles
Major: Psychology
CGPA: ~3.35
Prereq GPA: ~3.8
GRE: 155V 165Q 4.0AW
Hours: 670 Outpatient at UCLA Physical Therapy
Extracurriculars: President of an Ethnic Group, Mission trip to Uganda (exposure to clinics and patient settings there)

Applying: CSU Fresno, CSUN, Chapman, Midwestern U (AZ), Samuel Merrit, U of Miami, USC, U of Utah, U of Washington, West Coast, Western University

Any thoughts?

First of all, I would like to say that anything is possible given the right circumstances (how many people apply, where they apply, and what stats they have). I won't go into detail about where you stand in terms of your GPA. That information can be found everywhere. However, I do feel that many prePT students can and do get their hours in an outpatient setting. It is highly beneficial to have experience in more than one different settings (outpatient, inpatient, pediatrics, etc.). You just want to show that youre interested in this career and that you have dedicated some time to explore it and understand it. I am a CA resident. And I will tell you that the schools you are applying to are very competitive. ANY leg-up you can get on all the other applicants is a plus. If it's not too late for you, I would try to find an additional PT setting. Your stats are pretty solid. Many people with less significant stats than you get in to schools. And many people with more significant stats than you do NOT get in to school. Its a game we're all playing. You just have to play your cards right and let everything play out post-submitting. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Updated!

University:
Northern Illinois University
Major: Health Sciences-Pre-Physical Therapy Emphasis
Overall GPA: 3.70
Pre-Req GPA: 3.71
Last 60 credit hours GPA: 3.98
GRE First time: 148Q, 154V, 4.0AW
GRE Second time: 148Q, 149V, 3.0AW
GRE Third time: 151Q, 150V, 3.5AW
Hours: 113 outpatient hours & 22 inpatient hours
Extra-Curric: Pre-Physical Therapy Club: President, University Honors Program, Mortar Board Senior Honor Society, Student Health Advisory Council, Honors Student Association, Child Health Program
Recommendation Letters: Physical therapist (that I shadowed), supervisor (from Tour Guide job), biology professor, & military sergeant (from physical fitness class I took)

Applying: University of Illinois-Chicago, Northern Illinois University, Rosalind Franklin University, Bradley University, Governors State University, Indiana University, Indiana State University, University of Wisconsin-Lacrosse, Des Moines University-Osteopathic Medical Center, University of Toledo, Mayo School of Health Sciences, University of Nebraska Medical Center, & University of Jamestown

E-Submitted on: 7/24/16
Verified: 7/28/16

Interviews: Mayo School of Health Sciences, Rosalind Franklin University, & Des Moines University (All the rolling admissions schools I applied to)

Members don't see this ad :)
Updated!

University:
Northern Illinois University
Extra-Curric: Pre-Physical Therapy Club: President, University Honors Program, Mortar Board Senior Honor Society, Student Health Advisory Council, Honors Student Association, Child Health Program
Recommendation Letters: Physical therapist (that I shadowed), supervisor (from Tour Guide job), biology professor, & military sergeant (from physical fitness class I took)

Applying: University of Illinois-Chicago, Northern Illinois University, Rosalind Franklin University, Bradley University, Governors State University, Indiana University, Indiana State University, University of Wisconsin-Lacrosse, Des Moines University-Osteopathic Medical Center, University of Toledo, Mayo School of Health Sciences, University of Nebraska Medical Center, & University of Jamestown

Interviews: Mayo School of Health Sciences, Rosalind Franklin University, & Des Moines University (All the rolling admissions schools I applied to)
When did you hear from Rosalind?

I'm interested to know what you guys think my chances are? This is my first time applying and I'm not sure if my nontrad status will help or hurt.

Undergrad: ECU
Major: English Education
Cum GPA: 3.62
Prereq GPA: 3.5-3.9 (depending on retake policy)
GRE: 163V 153Q 4.5AW
Hours: 133 hrs (two outpatient facilities, inpatient neuro and general rehab unit, and school pt)
Extracurriculars: Hunger Fighters Organization, Co-Founded a Book Club at the high school where I worked, Sea Kayak Trip Instructor for an outdoor center during undergrad, Group Facilitator for "team building" (think ropes course) at same outdoor center, ESL Tutor

So far applying to: ECU, WCU, WSSU

With your stats, you should be fine regardless of your nontrad status. In most cases, with private institutions, at least, the nontrad status helps because they like diversity within their programs and having students from various educational and professional backgrounds. All I would suggest at this point is possibly get some more hours, just to boost your "weakest" area, which isn't even that weak. You seem to have a strong resume, just pay attention to your letters of rec and essay. Best of luck!

Undergrad: university of Michigan
Major: movement science
Cum gpa: 3.4
Pre req gpa: 3.2
GRE: 155 v 158 q 4.0 AW
Hours: 120 all settings
Extra cirriculars: Greek life, captain of sports team, research in hospital, coach.

Applying: u of m flint, central university, Wayne state, Regis, UCD, northeastern
Any thoughts on my chances or where to apply? Thanks!
You have slightly lower GPAs than me, higher GRE scores, but less hours. I initially got waitlisted for a Regis interview, ended up getting an interview, then waitlisted for admission. So take that information for what it's worth. Best of luck!

Undergrad: University of California, Los Angeles
Major: Psychology
CGPA: ~3.35
Prereq GPA: ~3.8
GRE: 155V 165Q 4.0AW
Hours: 670 Outpatient at UCLA Physical Therapy
Extracurriculars: President of an Ethnic Group, Mission trip to Uganda (exposure to clinics and patient settings there)

Applying: CSU Fresno, CSUN, Chapman, Midwestern U (AZ), Samuel Merrit, U of Miami, USC, U of Utah, U of Washington, West Coast, Western University

Any thoughts?
Your pre-req GPA and GRE scores should make up for your sub-par cGPA. The only thing I would suggest at this point is getting more experience in different settings- not sure what kind of hours/experience was actually logged in Uganda. Best of luck!

Undergrad: Kansas State University
Major: Kinesiology & Leadership Studies minor
Cumulative GPA: 3.56
Pre-Req GPA: 3.16
Last 60 hours: If I hold my 4.0 this semester, my last 60 hours will be just under a 3.9
GRE: V:157, Q:155, W:4.0

Extra Curricular: Competed regionally and nationally on a motorsports team for 7 years (2007-13) - finished 2nd in NASCAR Division III National points in 2013. In 2014 and 2015 managed a national touring Sprint Car team (30-50 hours/week pretty much all year round). Started a graphic design business from the ground up (2014). KSU intramural sports. Campus ministry student leader.

Getting First Aid/CPR/AED certified this week.

Observation: 116 hours (outpatient clinic, surgical center, in-patient rehab @ hospital)

Submitted PTCAS: 9/9

Verified on PTCAS: 10/6

Applied: Duke, Florida International, Northwestern, Ohio State, University of Iowa, KU Medical Center, Miami, Nebraska Medical Center, North Carolina (Chapel Hill), and South Carolina.

Interviews: Haven't heard back from any schools yet.

Accepted: N/a

Rejected: N/a

I feel like my Pre-Req GPA is killing me. I got C's in Chem 1/Chem 2 and A's/B's in everything else. I was advised not to retake the Chemistry courses by my pre-pt advisor. When I first came to college I was more focused on racing and I spent a lot (I mean A LOT) of time away from school. The race shop I work at is 140 miles from campus and I've been there or on the road racing around 45 weeks/year for the entire time I've been in college. Obviously my grades suffered but I really kicked it in gear my last few semesters and have done fairly well.

I'm hoping the admissions committees will see that improvement and look over my Pre-Req GPA. My cumulative (3.56) isn't terrible and will likely go up a little after this semester, but I feel like if I would have focused more on school my first couple years I could be at a 3.8-3.9. I know GPA isn't everything, so I'm hoping my GRE and unique/heavily involved EC's will help me out.

What do you guys think?

If you don't mind me asking, where did you end up getting accepted/waitlisted/interviewed? We have extremely similar stats and I am applying to a lot of the same schools this year.

University: University of South Florida
Major: Biological Health Sciences
Minor: Gerontology
Overall GPA: 3.97
Pre-Req GPA: 3.90
GRE: 155 V 156 Q 3.5 AW

Extra-Curric: Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society (VP, Historian); USF Club Basketball (Risk Manager), 2 part-time jobs at Campus Recreation (20-30 hours/week), undergraduate research, study abroad program, cultural competency program

Volunteer: 1oo outpatient (20 in orthopedic specialty), 40 inpatient (transitional care hospital)

Applied: Duke, Colorado, Florida, W. Carolina, N. Arizona, Midwestern-Glendale, Belmont, WVU, WashU in St. Louis, Mayo Clinic, Pitt (submitted: 8/14, verified: 8/28)

Acceptances: WashU in St. Louis (10/25), Mayo Clinic (11/10), Pitt (11/30), Florida (12/19)

Rejections: West Virginia, Duke

Interviews: Midwestern (9/2, declined), Mayo Clinic (9/9, attended 10/28), W. Carolina (11/15, declined), Colorado (12/9, declined) N. Arizona (12/12, declined), Belmont (withdrew app)

I'm going to Washington University in St. Louis! If you're in the Class of 2020, let's gooooo.

Last edited:
University: William Paterson University
Major: BS - Biology
Overall GPA: 3.22
Pre-Req GPA: 3.10
GRE: 152V 153 Q 4.0 AW

Volunteer: 200+ outpatient, 50+ inpatient (hospital), 100+ outpatient pediatrics

Applied:
Columbia University
Dominican College
Drexel University
Kean University
Long Island University - Brooklyn Campus
Mercy College
Misericordia University
New York Institute of Technology
New York Medical College
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey (Newark/North Campus)
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey (Stratford/South)
Seton Hall University
Stony Brook University (both campuses)
Touro College (both campuses)
University of Scranton

(submitted: 8/14, verified: 8/24)

Recommendation Letters: 2 PT's, an Athletic trainer, and a former professor. (4 total)

Acceptances:

Rejections: NYMC

Interviews: NYIT 11/11 Kean 11/14 Rutgers North 11/18

Last edited:
Update: 11/24

Major:
Kinesiology
Minor: Biological Sciences
Cum GPA: 3.65
Pre-req GPA: 3.75 - 3.9 depending on school
GRE: 158Q 160V 4.0AW
Hours: 1500+ outpatient ortho, 45 inpatient acute, 4 inpatient peds rehab

Extra Curricular/Volunteering: Emergency Department volunteer at two major hospitals, Pacer in local half marathons, Volunteer at various professional track & field meets, Human Cadaver Lab TA, Trail maintenance with Nature Conservancy, Food Waste Collection volunteer, Aquatic Therapy volunteer in a pediatric inpatient rehab hospital

Work: (Graduated undergrad in 2013, so I've really bounced around afterward) Resident Assistant in undergrad, EKG Technician, Fitness Attendant, Personal Trainer, CPR Instructor, Patient Transport in an outpatient cancer center, worked at a running shoe store for a bit, currently full-time as a PT Aide

Recommendation Letters: 2 academic, 2 PT's

Applying: GWU, Columbia, Mercer, Emory, LIU-Brooklyn, Boston U, MGHIHP, Drexel, Duke, University of New England

Interviews: Drexel (9/30), Columbia (11/18), Mercer (1/14 asked for alternate date from 11/19 offer due to Columbia interview), GWU (11/11), LIU-Brooklyn (11/2 - declined), UNE (10/21 - declined)

Rejections: N/A

Acceptances: Columbia University (11/21)

I've been lurking on SDN for quite some time and have found this thread helpful for the application process, so just wanted to add to the conversation. Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Loved the visit at Columbia. Feeling very fortunate about this opportunity. If anyone else heard back or has questions about the school, feel free to message me!

Last edited:
Hello,
I am waiting on some recommendation letters but everything else is done and the transcripts have been verified. Should I just submit now? Is this late even though its before the deadline?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
I am waiting on some recommendation letters but everything else is done and the transcripts have been verified. Should I just submit now? Is this late even though its before the deadline?

As long as all the missing pieces have been requested (transcripts, GRE scores, and recommendation letters), and you've filled in the required information for the remainder of the application (EC's, PT hours, work, personal info, essay, school-specific questions), then go ahead and submit. Not late in the cycle yet!

As long as all the missing pieces have been requested (transcripts, GRE scores, and recommendation letters), and you've filled in the required information for the remainder of the application (EC's, PT hours, work, personal info, essay, school-specific questions), then go ahead and submit. Not late in the cycle yet!
Thank you so much for this! Good luck!

University: Springfield College (MA)
Major: Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.66
Pre-Req GPA: 3.75
GRE: Verbal: 160, Quantitative: 150, Writing: 3.5

Extra-Curriculars: Missions Trips (Haiti, Nicaragua), Exercise Science Club, Community Outreach Events, Varsity Football, Olympic Weightlifting, Be The Match Foundation

Volunteer: TBI, Amputee, Out & In-patient, Acute (40hrs), Outpatient Orthopedic (162hrs), Weisman Children's Hospital Pediatric (40hrs). 242 TOTAL

References: 2 Professors in major, 2 Physical therapists.

Applying: Northeastern, U of Miami, Belmont, Delaware, FIU, MGH, Temple, Boston U, Seton Hall

Interviews: Temple 9/9, Delaware 9/12, UMiami 10/14 or 10/28.

^^^Anyone going?

Thoughts?

Major:
Business Administration, University of Arizona (prereqs taken post-bachelor's)
Cum GPA: 3.27
Pre-req GPA: 3.82 (PTCAS) - 4.0 (for schools which replace)
Last 60 GPA: 3.906
GRE: 163Q 152V 4.0AW (highest between 2 tests, otherwise 163Q, 150V, 4.0AW for highest single test)
Hours: 1800 outpatient orthopedics as a technician, 100 inpatient hospital, 40 outpatient neurology, 30 outpatient pediatrics/aquatics

Volunteering: Consultant/event showcase representative for a non-profit working with refugees, Feed My Starving Children volunteer, Hospital Rehab Department volunteer

Recommendation Letters: 2 PTs, 1 academic, 1 personal

Applying: TWU, Angelo State, UTEP, TTUHSC, A.T. Still, NAU

Interviews: TBD, applications sent out a week ago

Last edited:
Just wondering if I even have a chance anywhere? This is my second time applying and I havent been able to retake any classes due to working full time and finances. But this time around I added more observation hours in diverse settings. Anyone think I have a chance at any of these schools? Thanks!

I think you definitely have a chance! Our stats are almost identical and I was fortunate enough to get into two schools (APU and Loma Linda).

Undergrad: UIC
Major: Biology
cGPA: 3.75
pre-req GPA: 3.64-3.75 depending on how schools calculate it
GRE: 152 V, 161 Q 4.5 AW
Observation Hours: around 100 hours outpatient ortho (mixed in with sports), 25 outpatient neuro, 25 inpatient acute care (150 hours total)
Extracirriculars: 2 years of missionary work prior to college, pre-PT club, high school tutor in Pathways to Biology
Applying: UIC, Rosalind Franklin, UNMC, Drexel

E-submitted: 9/7

Gah!!!! I'm so relieved but nervous at the same time! Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
I'm still technically on 2 wait-lists for Regis and UF, but obviously my hopes aren't high this late in the process.

With the application cycle having already started, I'm going through it again. I am planning on taking the CSCS exam within the next month.
Here are a quick run-through of my stats:

cGPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.33
GRE: 154V/153Q/4.0W (2nd attempt)
Hours: 1000+ ortho outpatient, 75 sports outpatient, 15 subacute, 15 acute

I had plenty of extra-currics throughout college.

What would anyone suggest for me to do, or any tips for this next cycle other than the CSCS? Anything helps, thanks!
What did you use to study for the CSCS, and how long did it take you to prepare for it?

What did you use to study for the CSCS, and how long did it take you to prepare for it?

I have yet to take it because of a busy schedule, but everything I've heard is to study Essentials of Strength & Conditioning 4th Edition. Obviously having taken some sort of exercise physiology recently will make it easier than a few years break, but the book is really good. Make sure you get the 4th edition because it has a lot different than the 3rd considering the writers are different. Best of luck!

Well, here goes round 2 of applying:

Institution: Georgia Gwinnett College
Cumulative GPA: 3.50
Pre-Req GPA: 3.36
GRE: 154V/153Q/4.0W

Hours: 2000+ outpatient (orthopedic) as a PT technician/aide
75 outpatient (sports)
20 inpatient (sub-acute/rehabilitation)
15 inpatient (acute)
15 outpatient neuro (Shepherd Center)

EC's: 4 year college athlete, National Society of Leadership and Success, Kappa Omicron Nu Exercise Science Honor Society, B.E.A.R.S Club (Bridging Exercise and Real Science)

Applying: UF, UNF, MUSC, Florida Gulf Coast University, Nova Southeastern- Ft. Lauderdale, Mercer

I applied to UF last year, waitlisted, and they told me that my GPA and GRE scores were competitive with students who were accept, but my letters of recommendation had minimal information in the written comments section and my essay could improve in content and construction. Not glaring faults, in their words, just minor improvements.

Anyone else who has been accepted to these programs have any insight as to my chances?

Best of luck to everyone applying this year!

I have yet to take it because of a busy schedule, but everything I've heard is to study Essentials of Strength & Conditioning 4th Edition. Obviously having taken some sort of exercise physiology recently will make it easier than a few years break, but the book is really good. Make sure you get the 4th edition because it has a lot different than the 3rd considering the writers are different. Best of luck!
Thanks! Would you recommend getting the NSCA study packages? The ones that include the specific practice questions?

Thanks! Would you recommend getting the NSCA study packages? The ones that include the specific practice questions?

It all depends on how comfortable you feel with the material and studying on your own. I've heard that the test is nothing like the practice tests, and that the practice questions help, so I guess it all varies from person to person. Sorry, I'm not much help in that aspect since I haven't taken the exam yet.

Institution: Texas A&M University
Cumulative GPA: 3.9
Pre-Req GPA: 3.87
GRE: 164V/158Q/4.0W

Hours: 105 outpatient (orthopedic), 40 inpatient (SNF), 40 inpatient (geriatric sub-acute rehab, same place as SNF), 41 inpatient acute-care hospital, 7 hours of outpatient while studying abroad in Australia

EC's: ~500 hours of volunteer work, 480 of those as a camp counselor for 4 years in row

References: Two PTs and one professor in my major

Applying (in order of preference): TWU *tied with* TX State, UTHSCSA, UNT, UTSW

Interviews: UNT 10/30

I feel like I have a good shot at all of them, but I don't know! I especially want to know my chances at the top 3!

Last edited:
University: UNC Wilmington
Overall GPA: 3.67
Pre-Req GPA: 3.82
GRE: V: 157 Q:153 W: 4.0

Extra-Curric: Worked as fitness supervisor at my university rec center for 2.5 years, strength coach at local sports conditioning center for my semester-long internship, participated in multiple MDA walks throughout last 4 years, current therapy tech at regional rehabilitation hospital.

Volunteer: 50 hrs outpatient clinic, 100 hours volunteer inpatient rehab, 1300 hrs + as therapy tech

Applying:
East Carolina University NC 08/25/2016
Elon University NC 08/25/2016
George Washington University DC 08/25/2016
Marymount University VA 08/25/2016
Old Dominion University VA 08/25/2016
Radford University VA 08/25/2016
Shenandoah University VA 08/25/2016
University of Delaware DE 08/25/2016
University of Maryland - Baltimore MD 08/25/2016
University of Maryland - Eastern Shore MD 08/25/2016
Virginia Commonwealth University VA 08/25/2016
West Virginia University WV 08/25/2016
Western Carolina University NC 08/25/2016
Winston-Salem State University NC 08/25/2016

Acceptances: GWU, UMD Baltimore, UDel, ODU, Marymount, Winston-Salem State U.

Attending: UMD Baltimore

Rejections:

Interviews: All

Last edited:
Hello,

I've been following this network for a while, and just recently this thread, but am just now posting:happy:. This is my third time applying to PT school, so I'm trying to make the best decision on where to apply this time just because it's a lot of money. I would love to hear anyone's opinions or get some advice.

Here are my stats:

Undergrad: Winthrop University
Major: Exercise Science, Business Admin Minor
GPA: 3.42
Pre-Req GPA: 3.05-3.3 (depending on what school) (mostly B's :()
GRE: 147V 152Q 4.0W (took 4 times :mad:)
Observation Hours: 3000+ (in 4 different settings) 40 pediatrics, 40 hospitol, 1000 sports therapy, the rest in outpatient
LOR: 1 academic, 2 PT's, 1 community service supervisor (for UM Baltimore)
Extras: Student Athlete (Leadership award), Member of SAAC, Member of a Sorority (held a position), Honors Society for Major (held a position), CPR certified, current pt tech at outpatient clinic, Volunteer with Boys and Girls Club, Children's Attention Home, Breast Cancer Education and Awareness (sorority)

I'm thinking URI, UNE, Umass Lowell, MCPHS, Wingate, Mary Baldwin, maybe The Sages and NYU? UM Baltimore?
I've finished my application and just waiting to e-submit once I think I've picked the best schools for me.

Any advice would be awesome! Thanks!

Update:
University: U of Cincinnati
Major: Exercise & Movement Science
Overall GPA: 3.61 (Last 50: 3.88)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4
GRE: 150Q, 152V, 4 AW

Extra-Curric: Rehab Aide @ UC Medical Center (Acute Inpatient, 600+ hours), Health Sciences Club, College of Allied Health Sciences Ambassador, Intramural Sports, Tutoring, University Health Screening Assistant

Volunteer: Cincy Reds Split-the-Pot Fundraiser, Cincy Children's Inpatient/Outpatient PT/OT, American Heart Association Heart Mini, and more. 500+ obs hours in orthopedic rehab, acute inpatient, pediatric inpatient/ outpatient.

Letters of Rec: 1 from an exercise physiologist (professor), 1 from physician (professor), and one from a PT (who is also the PT supervisor at my hospital).

Applying: U of Cincy, Mt. St. Joseph, Toledo, Ohio U, University of Findlay, Marshall, Indiana State, Walsh, Bellarmine

*Attending info session at Mt. St. Joe Sept. 30th*
Acceptance: n/a
Rejection: n/a

Submitted: 8/28
Verified: 9/1

Grades/GRE are average. Hoping my essay/ extra-curriculars can pull their weight. :shifty: Thoughts?

Hello,

I've been following this network for a while, and just recently this thread, but am just now posting:happy:. This is my third time applying to PT school, so I'm trying to make the best decision on where to apply this time just because it's a lot of money. I would love to hear anyone's opinions or get some advice.

Here are my stats:

Undergrad: Winthrop University
Major: Exercise Science, Business Admin Minor
GPA: 3.42
Pre-Req GPA: 3.05-3.3 (depending on what school) (mostly B's :()
GRE: 147V 152Q 4.0W (took 4 times :mad:)
Observation Hours: 3000+ (in 4 different settings) 40 pediatrics, 40 hospitol, 1000 sports therapy, the rest in outpatient
LOR: 1 academic, 2 PT's, 1 community service supervisor (for UM Baltimore)
Extras: Student Athlete (Leadership award), Member of SAAC, Member of a Sorority (held a position), Honors Society for Major (held a position), CPR certified, current pt tech at outpatient clinic, Volunteer with Boys and Girls Club, Children's Attention Home, Breast Cancer Education and Awareness (sorority)

I'm thinking URI, UNE, Umass Lowell, MCPHS, Wingate, Mary Baldwin, maybe The Sages and NYU? UM Baltimore?
I've finished my application and just waiting to e-submit once I think I've picked the best schools for me.

Any advice would be awesome! Thanks!

Similar to me, your GPA and GRE are right in the middle of the pack (average). However your "extras" stand out, as it appears you're very involved.

P.S. you can add schools to your 'designations' after you E-submit. Submit as early as you can!!

University: UNC Wilmington
Overall GPA: 3.67
Pre-Req GPA: 3.82
GRE: V: 157 Q:153 W: 4.0

Extra-Curric: Worked as fitness supervisor at my university rec center for 2.5 years, strength coach at local sports conditioning center for my semester-long internship, participated in multiple MDA walks throughout last 4 years, current therapy tech at regional rehabilitation hospital.

Volunteer: 50 hrs outpatient clinic, 100 hours volunteer inpatient rehab, 1300 hrs + as therapy tech

Applying:
East Carolina University NC 08/25/2016
Elon University NC 08/25/2016
George Washington University DC 08/25/2016
Marymount University VA 08/25/2016
Old Dominion University VA 08/25/2016
Radford University VA 08/25/2016
Shenandoah University VA 08/25/2016
University of Delaware DE 08/25/2016
University of Maryland - Baltimore MD 08/25/2016
University of Maryland - Eastern Shore MD 08/25/2016
Virginia Commonwealth University VA 08/25/2016
West Virginia University WV 08/25/2016
Western Carolina University NC 08/25/2016
Winston-Salem State University NC 08/25/2016

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews: UM Baltimore 9/28

When did you hear from UM Baltimore?

Slight Update: PTCAS verified 9/13

Undergrad:
UIC
cGPA: 3.73
pre-req GPA: 3.64-3.75 depending on how schools calculate it (self-reported pre-req GPA: 3.69, so right in the middle)
GRE: 152 V, 161 Q 4.5 AW
Observation Hours: around 100 hours outpatient ortho (mixed in with sports), 25 outpatient neuro, 25 inpatient acute care (150 hours total)
Extracirriculars: 2 years of missionary work prior to college, pre-PT club, high school tutor in Pathways to Biology
Applying: UIC, Rosalind Franklin, UNMC, Drexel

E-submitted: 9/7
Verified: 9/13

Major: Exercise Science Pre-PT
Overall GPA: 3.47
Pre-Req GPA: 3.35
GRE: 153 V 155 Q 3.5 AW

Extra Curricular:

College Football Division 1 athlete Volunteer hours at dog shelter and school races

Observation: 30
outpatient orthopedics, 50 inpatient pediatrics

Applied: Mercer University, Augusta University, Emory University, University of North Georgia, Georgia State University, Armstrong Atlantic University, Brenau University finished Applying to all 8/28/16
Interviews: As of now Augusta (9/1/16) gave me one super early at only two weeks after i submitted, but i had to push it back for football to November 18 instead of October and i dont know if that will hurt my chances. I havent heard anything else but i will update!
Acceptances:N/A

Last edited:

Overall GPA: 2.98 (calculated by PTCAS)..... yeah. Im pretty mad about not hitting the 3.0 mark.
Pre-Req GPA: 3.23 (calculated by PTCAS)

GRE First: 151 (Verbal), 149 (Quantitative), 3.5 (Writing)
GRE Second: 154 (Verbal), 154 (Quantitative), 3.5 (Writing)

Extra-Curricular: Worked as a group trainer, exercise specialist, and group exercise instructor at my university wellness clinic. Some volunteering for my school at a local nursing home.

Observation Hours: 108 Outpatient (2 different clinics)

Certifications: CPR/AED, NSCA-CSCS

LOR's: 1 From PT, 1 From in major professor, 1 from my supervisor at the wellness clinic was also a professor of mine.

Applying To:
AT Still University of Health Sciences, D'Youville College, High Point University, Mount St Mary's University, Nova Southeastern University - Fort Lauderdale, Old Dominion University, Rockhurst University, Shenandoah University, Touro College (both),
Touro University Nevada, University of Illinois at Chicago, University of Jamestown, Western Kentucky University, Wheeling Jesuit University

E-submitted: 9/02

Verified: 9/14 (I emailed them about it and it verified like right as I did it IDK if that helped or what but it was taking a long time.)

------------------

Acceptances: Hopefully all of them! :)

Rejections: But, for sure a couple since I didn't hit the 3.0 cGPA. (sadface)

Interviews:

(I have very low GPA's I know, but I have faith! My last 60 hours are like 3.7+, got deans list my last semester, some very solid LOR's, and from the feedback I have gotten people seem to think my essay is great. Im really hoping to get into high point. It is their first time accepting students, I went down there and the directors were fantastic. Had an amazing vision for the program and I want to be part of that. They are amazing sport PT's, and their biomechanics professor and movement analysis labs are best in the country. Honestly if I get the interview there I know I will nail it they already know my face, I got a feel for what they are looking for, and I am 100% ready.)

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!

Last edited:
University: Northern Illinois University

Interviews: Mayo School of Health Sciences (done), Des Moines University (done), Rosalind Franklin University, St. Ambrose University
Acceptance: None yet
Rejections: None yet

This website has been really helpful for me. So here are my stats. Applying the second time.

University: University of Puget Sound
GPA: 3.67
pGPA: 3.81
GRE (First Attempt): 160V 155Q 4.5AW
GRE (Second Attempt): 166V 161Q 4.0AW (Annoyed it went down)
Observation: 492 outpatient, 105 outpatient military, 60 in-patient military

Prior active duty, current USAF reservist

Applied: US-Army Baylor
Interviews:
Accepted:

Good luck to everyone applying!

My second time applying and hopefully the last. I was really disappointed that I did not get in last year after being told by professors, advisors, and physical therapists that I would get in to at least one. Do you think I have a shot this cycle? Good luck to everyone applying. :)

University: California State University
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.86
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7-3.8 depending on the school
GRE First time: 147Q, 150V, 3.5AW
GRE Second time: 151Q, 153V, 5.0AW
GRE Third time: 145Q, 156V, 4.0AW
Hours: 500 outpatient hours and 100 pediatric hours
Recommendation Letters: 4 total: 1 physical therapist from pediatrics as a student volunteer, 2 physical therapists from the same outpatient clinic (internship that turned into an aide position), and kinesiology major professor

E-Submitted on: 9/17/16
Verified: Hopefully pretty soon

Applying: CSULB, CSUN, Chapman, Eastern Washington, NAU, UCSF/SFSU, Pittsburgh, Puget Sound, Washington, SDSU
Interviews: None yet
Acceptance: None yet
Rejections: None yet

This is my first time applying. I'm hoping it's also my last!

University
: University of Portland
Minors: Chemistry & Neuroscience
Overall GPA: 3.83
Pre-Req GPA: 3.74-3.84
Last 60 credits: 3.97
GRE: 152Q, 157V, 4.5AW
Hours: outpatient orthopedics & occupational/industrial health (400); elementary school setting (15); SNF (20); Inpatient acute neuro (24). Populations observed: pediatrics, geriatrics, sports, women's health etc.
Recommendation Letters: 4 Letters; 1-Organic Chemistry professor (also supervisor), 2-professor in major, 3-PT, 4-PT.
Applying: CSF, University of WA, University of Puget Sound, Pacific University, USC, Western U of health sciences, NAU, U Colorado, Regis, Wash U of St. Louis, Augusta University.
Interviews: N/A
Acceptances: N/A

Best of luck to everyone applying this cycle!

UPDATE - ACCEPTANCE!

Major:
Exercise and Rehabilitative Science
Cum GPA: 3.9
Pre req GPA: 3.87
GRE: 149, 149, 3.5 AW
Hours: 105 TOTAL: 85 hours outpatient (which included ortho, peds, neuro, geriatrics, etc.), 20 hours inpatient acute
Recommendation letters: 3 total - 1 from PT I connected very well with at outpatient clinic, 1 from my supervisor at my internship, and 1 from my professor/advisor from my school.

Applied to: UW MADISON (Early Decision)
Accepted: UW MADISON

This is a tremendous weight lifted off my shoulders, and I wish the best of luck to everyone this cycle. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message.

Reactions: 1 users
UPDATE - ACCEPTANCE!

Major:
Exercise and Rehabilitative Science
Cum GPA: 3.9
Pre req GPA: 3.87
GRE: 149, 149, 3.5 AW
Hours: 105 TOTAL: 85 hours outpatient (which included ortho, peds, neuro, geriatrics, etc.), 20 hours inpatient acute
Recommendation letters: 3 total - 1 from PT I connected very well with at outpatient clinic, 1 from my supervisor at my internship, and 1 from my professor/advisor from my school.

Applied to: UW MADISON (Early Decision)
Accepted: UW MADISON

This is a tremendous weight lifted off my shoulders, and I wish the best of luck to everyone this cycle. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message.
Did you even have an interview to do? That was quick and CONGRATS!!!!

Did you even have an interview to do? That was quick and CONGRATS!!!!
Hey!

UW Madison does not have any interviews, no! They have 3 supplemental essays that are huge considering that they don't.

Hey!

UW Madison does not have any interviews, no! They have 3 supplemental essays that are huge considering that they don't.
Okay gotcha! Congrats again I hope we're working in the same field some day haha

I was also accepted to UW-Madison via Early Decision! Good luck to all!

Did you hear anything from UF? What are your stats? UCF is my top choice, so I'm just wondering where I stand with you.

About 95% of UCF's acceptances are Florida residents. I went to their DPT open house and their admissions head told us that they don't really look at people out of state because once people see the out of state tuition anyway they reject the offer so they try to avoid that. They also won't even really look at you unless you have a 3.5 GPA. They take the top 400 people with the best stats, look at their applications a little closer and then invite I think around 120-150 people to interview and then make decisions from there. They focus heavily on your pre-req and last 60 credit hour GPA's, your GRE scores, your letters of rec and your observation hours (which they cap at 180 hours so having 180 hours will look the same to them as 2000 hours). They like to see a variety of settings rather than all of your hours spent at one or 2 places. Hope that helped, good luck!

Wondering what my chances are for being admitted to a DPT program. All feedback appreciated. My stats are as follows:
pre-req GPA: 3.58
cum GPA: 2.8
last 60 credit hours GPA: 3.6
GRE: 154 V, 160 Q, 4.0 AW
I also have a fair amount of volunteer experience, as well as strong recommendations.

Undergrad: Oregon State University
Major: Exercise and Sports Science
Cumulative GPA: 3.71
Pre-Req GPA: 3.68
Last 60 hours: 3.9 (I think)

Letters of Recommendation: (3 total): Kinesiology Professor (whom I got close to), PT, Supervisor from work (2 years)

Extra Curricular: IMPACT, Kidsthletics, EPIC, BLS/FA+CPR Certified, Anatomy and Physiology TI

Observation: 800+ hours outpatient ortho (Three settings, Aide @1), 700+ hours Acute Rehab(Geriatrics, Joint Rehab, CVCU, NTCU, ICU, etc) by June 2017 (Aide), very little peds.

Submitted PTCAS: 9/16

Verified on PTCAS: 9/22

Applied: Pacific, Loma Linda, UNT at Fort Worth, Arkansas State University, NYIT, Nazareth, George Fox University

Accepted: N/A

Rejected: N/A

Good luck to everyone applying! Power through!

Last edited:
Undergrad: University of Florida
Major: Nutritional Sciences
Cumulative GPA: 3.17
PTCAS GPA: 3.18
GRE: 149V, 153Q, 3.5W
Letters of Recommendation: (4 total): Biology professor, former employer (politician), 2 PT's

Extra Curricular: 70+ hours in a pre-health society (worked with disable children to get them to become more active), Food Science & Human Nutrition Club, Power-lifting Club, Political Intern for 2 years

Observation: 32 at an Orthopedic and Sports Clinic, 35 at a Sports Medicine Institute, 3o inpatient hours, currently working on hours in a pediatric PT clinic (should have 30 by December)

Submitted PTCAS: 8/20

Verified on PTCAS: 8/25

Applied: Long Island University - Brooklyn Campus, Touro College - Manhattan Campus, NYU, CUNY, UF, USF, Augusta, UAB, ASU, and Brenau

Rejected: CUNY

Last edited:
Undergrad: University of Denver
Major: Biological Sciences (cum laude)
PTCAS Cumulative GPA: 3.79
(Self-reported) Pre-req GPA: 3.75
Last 60 Semester Credits: 3.84
GRE: 161V, 152Q, 5.0W
Letters of Recommendation: (3 total): Biology professor, Former employer (Intramural/Club Sports director), 1 PT

Extra Curricular: Vice president and team captain of men's club ice hockey, American Heart Association CPR/AED certified, 60 hours of research in human dynamics lab/center for orthopedic biomechanics (tracing CT scans to make 3D images/models of pelvis), intramural sports referee and adult hockey scorekeeper at my university, completion of an EMT-basic training program, iLEAD international leadership while studying abroad in Australia, cooking matters classroom assistant, middle school science fair judge.

Observation: 30 in Craig Hospitals inpatient TBI/spinal cord injury floor, 76 in Craig Hospitals outpatient TBI/spinal cord injury floor, 24 at Porter Adventist acute care hospital, 13 at Swedish Medical Center acute care hospital, 30 at Seaport 17th skilled nursing facility, 50 at Forsters PT outpatient sports/orthopedic.
= 97 inpatient, 126 outpatient = 223 total hours

Submitted to PTCAS: 7/20

Verified on PTCAS: 8/4

Applied: California State University-Northridge, Mount St. Mary's, University of San Francisco/San Francisco State University, Pacific University
Still Applying to: San Diego State University* (Not on PTCAS)

Rejected: N/A

San Diego State University is my top choice, anyone with info on my chances there/experiences there would be appreciated!
I've been browsing these forums since 2012 when I knew I wanted to be a PT, cool to finally have my stats on here!

Last edited:
Undergrad: California State University of Bakersfield
Major: Kinesiology/Exercise Science
PTCAS Cumulative GPA: 3.31
(Self-reported) Pre-req GPA: 3.69
GRE: 143V, 151Q, 3.5W
Letters of Recommendation: (3 total): Chemistry professor, 2 PT

Extra Curricular: Former Division 1 Athlete, Former Professional Soccer Player, Volunteer for Ronald McDonald House, Volunteer for a Division 1 college.

Observation: 1500 Outpatient, 40 Hospital/in-patient setting

Applied: A.T. Still University for Early Decision (8/14)

Interview: A.T. Still University (9/13)

Accepted: A.T. StillUniversity (9/23) via e-mail

GPA: 3.96
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 155 V 154 Q 4.0 W
Hours: 112 (45 SNF, 45 inpatient, 22 school/pediatric)
Extras: DIII athlete, SAAC member, lab assistant, youth camp volunteer

Applied to: UW-La Crosse
Accepted: UW-La Crosse