GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Undergrad: California State University, San Marcos
Major: Kinesiology, Pre-Physical Therapy
Overall GPA: 3.04
pGPA: ~2.90 - 3.25 (depends on the school)
GRE: 144 V/149 Q, 4.0 AW - took the GRE three times and this was my best score :(
LOR: 2 PT's, 1 professor

Extracurricular: Senior citizen volunteer, elementary school volunteer, high school water polo team strength and conditioning trainer

Experience: +2000 hours outpatient (physical therapy aide), 40 hours inpatient, 23 hours SNF

Applied: University of Saint Augustine (San Marcos), Samuel Merritt University, Western University, Mount Saint Mary's, Loma Linda University, Touro College, Northwestern University, George Washington University, Northern Arizona University, Chatham University, Eastern Washington University, Wayne State University, Midwestern University (Downers Grove)

Rejections: Western University (too low of a pGPA), Northern Arizona University (incomplete apparently)

Interviews: University of Saint Augustine (San Marcos) [10/26]

Acceptances: University of Saint Augustine (San Marcos) [11/7]!!!!

Still have classes in progress and waiting to hear back from other programs but most likely going to attend USA San Marcos in May 2019!

To those of you with low stats, don't lose hope. Make yourself stand out, get your feet wet in multiple settings, and keep in touch with some of the schools to show how determined you are to become a PT!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
UPDATE

Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.29
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4 - 3.6ish
GRE: 152 V 151 Q 4.0 W

Extra-Curric: personal trainer, home health aide, physical therapy aide, fundraisers, played rugby, president of powerlifting club, etc etc

1500 hours of paid outpatient, 25 hours of pediatric school setting, and 50 inpatient hospital

Applied to: NYU, LIU, CSI, Drexel, Thomas Jefferson, Stony Brook, NYIT, Seton Hall, Touro and Marist!

Acceptances: none

Rejections: Thomas Jefferson

Interviews: NYIT (10/26), Stony Brook (11/30), Drexel (11/9), CSI (12/3)

Reactions: 1 users
Undergrad: California State University, San Marcos
Major: Kinesiology, Pre-Physical Therapy
Overall GPA: 3.04
pGPA: ~2.90 - 3.25 (depends on the school)
GRE: 144 V/149 Q, 4.0 AW - took the GRE three times and this was my best score :(
LOR: 2 PT's, 1 professor

Extracurricular: Senior citizen volunteer, elementary school volunteer, high school water polo team strength and conditioning trainer

Experience: +2000 hours outpatient (physical therapy aide), 40 hours inpatient, 23 hours SNF

Applied: University of Saint Augustine (San Marcos), Samuel Merritt University, Western University, Mount Saint Mary's, Loma Linda University, Touro College, Northwestern University, George Washington University, Northern Arizona University, Chatham University, Eastern Washington University, Wayne State University, Midwestern University (Downers Grove)

Rejections: Western University (too low of a pGPA), Northern Arizona University (incomplete apparently)

Interviews: University of Saint Augustine (San Marcos) [10/26]

Acceptances: University of Saint Augustine (San Marcos) [11/7]!!!!

Still have classes in progress and waiting to hear back from other programs but most likely going to attend USA San Marcos in May 2019!

To those of you with low stats, don't lose hope. Make yourself stand out, get your feet wet in multiple settings, and keep in touch with some of the schools to show how determined you are to become a PT!

Congrats on the acceptance! I had a lower GRE score too but also got accepted into a program! Goes to show numbers aren't everything. I wish you the best in PT school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I was wondering what you guys thought of my stats and perhaps what you think my chances are of getting accepted for my first cycle. I have been feeling a bit discouraged from the few rejections I have received thus far, and any encouragement would help and be greatly appreciated. I wish all of you the best of luck! :)

University: Western Michigan University
Major: Exercise Science:
Undergrad GPA: 3.59
GRE: 150 V, 150 Q, 3.0 AW (I know my writing score is pretty low/average, but I have talked to several people and even PTs who had the same score and they got into schools, so I’m trying not to worry too much about it lol)

Extracurriculars/Experience/Achievements: Recipient of a full athletic scholarship, played Division I Tennis at Western Michigan University, Deans list for nearly all semesters of my undergraduate studies, Academic All-MAC honors, All-MAC Second Team honors, Mid-American Conference Player of the Week honors, Worked 80+ hours as a Certified Nursing Assistant, Dog-sitter through Rover for over 3 years, Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED Certification through the American Red Cross

Volunteer
Volunteered at the Color Run, Volunteered at local downtown church for an entire weekend preparing and serving meals to the homeless and poor, Volunteered as a student-athlete at a local middle school’s fall festival

Observation Hours
450 hours Outpatient
30 hours Inpatient

LORs:
2 from Physical Therapists
1 from Exercise Science professor

Applied: Ohio State, Walsh, Toledo, Ohio U, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, Gannon (Erie), WVU, Marshall, Grand Valley State, Rosalind Franklin, Indianapolis, George Washington, Maryland (Baltimore), New England, MGH Institute of Health Professions, Medical University of South Carolina, High Point, Wheeling Jesuit, South College

Yes, I realize I applied to a ton of schools. This was my first time applying and I wanted to give myself a better chance at being accepted. I was also (and still am) super nervous lol.

Accepted: None so far (still anxiously waiting)
Rejected: Thomas Jefferson, MGH Institute of Health Professions, Ohio U
Waitlisted: Waitlisted to interview at Toledo (was told they interview 130 applicants and I was in the top 20% of the 120applicants on the waitlist so it's possible I could get chosen?), waitlisted to interview at Uindy (but they said their waitlist was extensive so its doubtful I'll get offered an interview)

University: University of Wisconsin - Oshkosh
Major: Kinesiology - Strength and Conditioning Emphasis
Undergrad GPA: 3.50 (started pretty rough in my early years and turned things around)
Pre-requisite GPA: 3.5-3.6
GRE: 150V, 153Q, 4.0W

Extra-curriculars/Experiences:
4.5 years NCAA football, National Championship appearance as a senior, Honor Roll, Dean's List, NSCA-CSCS, CrossFit Head Coach, Strength and Conditioning Intern/Coach at collegiate level, Personal Trainer and Wellness Coach at YMCA, Research experience in exercise, 40+ hours CNA in long-term care facility, Volunteer with Be The Match and Old Glory Honor Flight for veterans.

Volunteer/Observation Hours:
620 Outpatient (2 different clinics) as PT Tech
40 Inpatient rehab and acute care PT/OT (still observing)

LORs:
1 from a PT I worked for, 1 from professor (strength and conditioning program director), 1 from my current supervisor/gym owner, and 1 from my collegiate football coach.

Planning to apply:
Early Decision UW-Madison

This is my first application cycle. I'm feeling pretty confident about my chances of getting in. I will be meeting with the director of admissions in a couple weeks to tour the facilities and get some more information. Really hoping I can leave a lasting impression. Any suggestions on questions to ask or what I can do to improve my chances are greatly appreciated. Good luck to everybody!

Update!

Applied:
UW-Madison, UW-La Crosse, Carroll University, Concordia University, Regis University, Mayo Clinic

Denied:
UW-Madison

Interviews:
Concordia University (11/17)

Interview Update
Undergrad:
University of Massachusetts Lowell
Major: Exercise Physiology
Overall GPA: 3.32 (Last 40 credits 3.9)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.25
GRE Scores: Q 148 V 147 AW 4.0
Hours: 1,500+ outpatient as an PT aide on Air Force Base
LOR: 1 PT, Owner of Air Force Base PT clinic, 2 professors

Applied: Baylor U Hybrid, South College, UNE, U of Mary, Franklin Pierce (NH), Western U, High Point U, Wheeling Jesuit, Gannon U, Plymouth State, Husson U, AIC. MCPHS, West Coast U
Acceptances: None
Interviews: Wheeling Jesuit
Rejections:
Baylor University

Pumped I even got an interview as I have pretty below average stats

Update: interview, waitlist, rejection

Applied: Baylor U Hybrid, South College, UNE, U of Mary, Franklin Pierce (NH), Western U, High Point U, Wheeling Jesuit, Gannon U, Plymouth State, Husson U, MCPHS, West Coast U, Dominican College, RMUoHP

Acceptances:
None

Interviews:
Wheeling Jesuit (11/9), Dominican College (12/7)

Rejections:
Baylor University, RMUoHP (didn't meet the GRE minimum), Gannon U Erie (didn't accept a pre-req)

Waitlist: MCPHS (waitlist to interview...)

Hey everyone, I was wondering what you guys thought of my stats and perhaps what you think my chances are of getting accepted for my first cycle. I have been feeling a bit discouraged from the few rejections I have received thus far, and any encouragement would help and be greatly appreciated. I wish all of you the best of luck! :)

GRE: 150 V, 150 Q, 3.0 AW (I know my writing score is pretty low/average, but I have talked to several people and even PTs who had the same score and they got into schools, so I’m trying not to worry too much about it lol)

Extracurriculars/Experience/Achievements: Recipient of a full athletic scholarship, played Division I Tennis at Western Michigan University, Deans list for nearly all semesters of my undergraduate studies, Academic All-MAC honors, All-MAC Second Team honors, Mid-American Conference Player of the Week honors, Worked 80+ hours as a Certified Nursing Assistant, Dog-sitter through Rover for over 3 years, Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED Certification through the American Red Cross

Volunteer
Volunteered at the Color Run, Volunteered at local downtown church for an entire weekend preparing and serving meals to the homeless and poor, Volunteered as a student-athlete at a local middle school’s fall festival

Observation Hours
450 hours Outpatient
30 hours Inpatient

LORs:

Applied: Ohio State, Walsh, Toledo, Ohio U, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, Gannon (Erie), WVU, Marshall, Grand Valley State, Rosalind Franklin, Indianapolis, George Washington, Maryland (Baltimore), New England, MGH Institute of Health Professions, Medical University of South Carolina, High Point, Wheeling Jesuit, South College

Yes, I realize I applied to a ton of schools. This was my first time applying and I wanted to give myself a better chance at being accepted. I was also (and still am) super nervous lol.

Waitlisted: Waitlisted to interview at Toledo (was told they interview 130 applicants and I was in the top 20% of the 120applicants on the waitlist so it's possible I could get chosen?), waitlisted to interview at Uindy (but they said their waitlist was extensive so its doubtful I'll get offered an interview)

Hello, I read through your stats. In my opinion (I'm not a grad school admissions chair, I'm a student just like you), being an athlete in college is cool and definitely helps your resume/experience. But as far as how you stated you were basically very good by receiving All-Mac honors etc., I don't find that necessarily most important when applying to PT school. You also have to realize most people applying to schools likely have had Deans list nearly all semesters and are likely CPR certified. As far as volunteering, it definitely helps that you have volunteered at places you have however that's not necessarily the most important thing (in my opinion). I see you have a good amount of observation hours but only in two locations? Can you possibly expand on where those hours were. In my opinion, you need to have hours in many more settings. It doesn't even have to be many hours at each, maybe 30 hours at 3-4 different settings. Because everybody volunteers at Athletico so you have to do things that others applicants wouldn't do. As far as your grades and GRE, they're fine. I wouldn't really stress over grades that much. Maybe you can retake GRE next cycle if you don't get in this year. So I'd definitely get exposed to PT in more settings if I were you, and make your personal statement amazing. You'll be okay. Everything happens for a reason. You seem like a very upbeat person just by the way you type lol so I'm sure you'll be a great PT. Again, this is all just my opinion so take it or leave it. I wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
: Ohio State, Walsh, Toledo, Ohio U, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, Gannon (Erie), WVU, Marshall, Grand Valley State, Rosalind Franklin, Indianapolis, George Washington, Maryland (Baltimore), New England, MGH Institute of Health Professions, Medical University of South Carolina, High Point, Wheeling Jesuit, South College
Hello, I read through your stats. In my opinion (I'm not a grad school admissions chair, I'm a student just like you), being an athlete in college is cool and definitely helps your resume/experience. But as far as how you stated you were basically very good by receiving All-Mac honors etc., I don't find that necessarily most important when applying to PT school. You also have to realize most people applying to schools likely have had Deans list nearly all semesters and are likely CPR certified. As far as volunteering, it definitely helps that you have volunteered at places you have however that's not necessarily the most important thing (in my opinion). I see you have a good amount of observation hours but only in two locations? Can you possibly expand on where those hours were. In my opinion, you need to have hours in many more settings. It doesn't even have to be many hours at each, maybe 30 hours at 3-4 different settings. Because everybody volunteers at Athletico so you have to do things that others applicants wouldn't do. As far as your grades and GRE, they're fine. I wouldn't really stress over grades that much. Maybe you can retake GRE next cycle if you don't get in this year. So I'd definitely get exposed to PT in more settings if I were you, and make your personal statement amazing. You'll be okay. Everything happens for a reason. You seem like a very upbeat person just by the way you type lol so I'm sure you'll be a great PT. Again, this is all just my opinion so take it or leave it. I wish you the best of luck.

Hey! Thanks for your response. I appreciate any feedback, so I do appreciate it. :)

I chose to include my athletic honors for a few reasons -- I have a friend that got into OSU and he was a student-athlete in college as well, and he recommended that I list all athletic honors and achievements. I have also heard from the PTs that I shadowed (who were collegiate athletes) that any athletic experience was highly regarded and added value to an application.

I feel as if I have a sufficient number of observation hours, just comparing to a lot of the other applicants' stats that I've seen on here. I guess in my original post, I didn't explain the two settings that I shadowed in very well... haha
In the outpatient setting, I shadowed at a sports medicine clinic for 450 hours with two different therapists (which was awesome because I got to see how the both of them practiced and treated patients). I saw a variety of patient populations/diagnoses such as: sports/athletics, geriatric, neurological, pediatric and orthopedic/musculoskeletal. In the inpatient hospital setting, I shadowed one physical therapist in an acute rehab unit and saw a lot of the following: geriatrics, orthopedic/musculoskeletal, cardiovascular/pulmonary, integumentary (wound management).

Since I have already applied to all of my schools for next year, I feel as if it's too late to add hours at this point... you know? Most schools have reviewed applications, so it wouldn't make a ton of sense to add more hours at this point. Plus I feel as if I have a good amount of hours, just based on the hours of others I have seen.

Based on my stats and whatnot, do you think I have a good shot at getting in somewhere this cycle? My family and boyfriend keep telling me to stop stressing and doubting myself, and that I will "for sure get in". However, I realize how competitive the PT application process is and try to maintain a realistic outlook on the entire thing, instead of getting my hopes up and being over-confident, you know? Haha

Interview UPDATE

School: University of Tennessee - Knoxville
Major:
Kinesiology/Psychology (also received an Associates in Business while attending undergrad)
Undergrad GPA: 3.67
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5
GRE: 157, 158, 4.5

Extra-Curricular: Sigma Alpha Lambda Honor Society (President); Kinesiology Student Association; Volunteer at a home for disabled children (3 years); Camp counselor at a camp for disabled children

Observation: 170 hours under a Physical therapist (3 settings; all outpatient)

Honors: Dean’s list & scholarships

LORs: 2 PTs; 1 advisor; 1 volunteer supervisor

Applied to: Old Dominion; Radford; Virginia Commonwealth; Murphy Deming (Mary Baldwin); Hampton; Emory & Henry; Shenandoah.

Acceptances: Murphy Deming
Rejections: n/a
Interview: Murphy Deming (10/26); Emory & Henry (11/17); Radford (11/16); Shenandoah (12/17)

Hey! Thanks for your response. I appreciate any feedback, so I do appreciate it. :)

I chose to include my athletic honors for a few reasons -- I have a friend that got into OSU and he was a student-athlete in college as well, and he recommended that I list all athletic honors and achievements. I have also heard from the PTs that I shadowed (who were collegiate athletes) that any athletic experience was highly regarded and added value to an application.

I feel as if I have a sufficient number of observation hours, just comparing to a lot of the other applicants' stats that I've seen on here. I guess in my original post, I didn't explain the two settings that I shadowed in very well... haha
In the outpatient setting, I shadowed at a sports medicine clinic for 450 hours with two different therapists (which was awesome because I got to see how the both of them practiced and treated patients). I saw a variety of patient populations/diagnoses such as: sports/athletics, geriatric, neurological, pediatric and orthopedic/musculoskeletal. In the inpatient hospital setting, I shadowed one physical therapist in an acute rehab unit and saw a lot of the following: geriatrics, orthopedic/musculoskeletal, cardiovascular/pulmonary, integumentary (wound management).

Since I have already applied to all of my schools for next year, I feel as if it's too late to add hours at this point... you know? Most schools have reviewed applications, so it wouldn't make a ton of sense to add more hours at this point. Plus I feel as if I have a good amount of hours, just based on the hours of others I have seen.

Based on my stats and whatnot, do you think I have a good shot at getting in somewhere this cycle? My family and boyfriend keep telling me to stop stressing and doubting myself, and that I will "for sure get in". However, I realize how competitive the PT application process is and try to maintain a realistic outlook on the entire thing, instead of getting my hopes up and being over-confident, you know? Haha

thanks for expanding on those things. Yes the athletic background definitely include all honors but in my opinion that's not important but like I said I'm just a student like you. Okay that clears things up for the observations hours...thanks. But still the quantity of hours does not matter that much in my opinion (IMO). You def want at least a couple hundred which you have but what's more important IMO is how you translate those observation experiences into your personal statement and school-specific essays. Seriously, I took almost two months to finish my personal statement and I really feel as if my personal statement contributed to me getting accepted into a program. Yes it is too late basically to get more observation hours so if I were you I would not go out to try to get more right now.

As far as what I think if you'll get in... I have no idea but I can tell you that you've met the academic standards most programs are looking for. It's good that you applied to a lot of schools. Try not to stress so much, but I would not think "you'll forsure get in." Because unfortunately the majority of applicants don't get in their first time applying. You've already applied so now it's a waiting game. My advice to you if you get an interview----> Be very personal. Talk about your life experiences and how they have led you to almost be lured into PT and how its a calling for you. Be genuine but don't memorize questions. Try to just talk to the person like a decent human being. They're just trying to get a sense of your personality.

You'll be okay, it's rough out here applying to pt school, especially if you're currently taking classes as an undergrad like many(myself included). But here's the thing, even if you don't get in this year if you're truly passionate about a career in pt you should be willing to improve your application for next cycle. I know a lot of my friends at my university say, "if I don't get in I'm just going to go into nursing or something else health related." But that's completely missing the point. Step one: Be passionate about PT and know you want to do it for the rest of your life. Step 2: Do absolutely everything in your power and control to be accepted into a school. If you don't get in first time, you must improve your application and reapply. If you're passionate about PT, you will be willing to. That's also why at many interviews they ask "if you don't get in what are you going to do?" That's a very important question at an interview. If you say "idk maybe look into nursing or something else." That's a big red flag to them in that you're probably not truly passionate about PT. What you should likely say is, "I'm going to do everything in my power to improve my application for next cycle and re-apply and if I don't get in next year I'll reapply next year." That's an important question.

Look I only got accepted into one program so far but I have gotten interviews at almost every school I applied to with similar academic grades as you (and I'm not an athlete.) You'll be okay. Try not to stress as hard as it is. I truly am rooting for you and once you get an interview, it is your time to shine because you're basically already accepted.

I hope this helps a little bit and if you have any other questions we can exchange emails or something.

University: Queens College
Major: Exercise Science
Undergrad GPA: 3.954
Pre-requisite GPA: 3.9ish
GRE: 153V, 152Q, 3.5 W

Extra-curriculars/Experiences:
Tutor (High schoolers), Volunteer at a consulate, NYC cares, Teacher at an Arabic Institute.
170 hours Inpatient rehab (Acute therapy, Neurology, Med-Surg)
20 hours Outpatient hospital
57 hours Outpatient clinic
Honors: Dean's List, Presidential Scholar

LORs:

2 PT's, 1 Prof

Applied: LIU, SUNY Downstate, Touro College, Hunter College, Stony Brook, Chatham University, Drexel University, NYIT, MCPHS,

Interviews: Stony Brook (11/30), NYIT (11/9), Chatham (11/3), MCPHS (11/27) Hunter (11/20)

Acceptances: N/A
Rejections: N/A

I reaaaally want to enter the Hunter program. I know its crazy competitive but it's seriously my dream. I would still be happy with Stony or Downstate but Hunter is definitely on the top of my list.

UPDATE: Went for my NYIT interview and it went pretty well. There were 3 interviewers and you were chosen by one to be interviewed. The guy I had was super chill we had a good conversation but they're apparently tight on spots so nothing is certain. He asked pretty general questions and it lasted a good 15 mins. I remember the coordinator saying there were only like 20 spots left from 45

UPDATE: Went for my NYIT interview and it went pretty well. There were 3 interviewers and you were chosen by one to be interviewed. The guy I had was super chill we had a good conversation but they're apparently tight on spots so nothing is certain. He asked pretty general questions and it lasted a good 15 mins. I remember the coordinator saying there were only like 20 spots left from 45
I was there on 10/26 and they told us there were only ~12 spots left. I was waitlisted unfortunately.

When did you submit to Drexel btw? I interviewed there as well on Friday.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was there on 10/26 and they told us there were only ~12 spots left. I was waitlisted unfortunately.
How long did they take to send you an email? And Drexel still hasn't responded to me. I'm assuming that they probably never will but who knows.

How long did they take to send you an email? And Drexel still hasn't responded to me. I'm assuming that they probably never will but who knows.
I interviewed the 26th and received a response the 31st from NYIT. Your stats look amazing though, you'll be fine!

I don't really remember how long my essay was, sorry. I didn't meet the GRE requirement, but I realized too late...because I had already submitted my app via PTCAS. I am pretty sure they are going to send me an automatic rejection, so I didn't really write much.[/QUOTE]

is Gannon an accredited institution?

thanks for expanding on those things. Yes the athletic background definitely include all honors but in my opinion that's not important but like I said I'm just a student like you. Okay that clears things up for the observations hours...thanks. But still the quantity of hours does not matter that much in my opinion (IMO). You def want at least a couple hundred which you have but what's more important IMO is how you translate those observation experiences into your personal statement and school-specific essays. Seriously, I took almost two months to finish my personal statement and I really feel as if my personal statement contributed to me getting accepted into a program. Yes it is too late basically to get more observation hours so if I were you I would not go out to try to get more right now.

As far as what I think if you'll get in... I have no idea but I can tell you that you've met the academic standards most programs are looking for. It's good that you applied to a lot of schools. Try not to stress so much, but I would not think "you'll forsure get in." Because unfortunately the majority of applicants don't get in their first time applying. You've already applied so now it's a waiting game. My advice to you if you get an interview----> Be very personal. Talk about your life experiences and how they have led you to almost be lured into PT and how its a calling for you. Be genuine but don't memorize questions. Try to just talk to the person like a decent human being. They're just trying to get a sense of your personality.

You'll be okay, it's rough out here applying to pt school, especially if you're currently taking classes as an undergrad like many(myself included). But here's the thing, even if you don't get in this year if you're truly passionate about a career in pt you should be willing to improve your application for next cycle. I know a lot of my friends at my university say, "if I don't get in I'm just going to go into nursing or something else health related." But that's completely missing the point. Step one: Be passionate about PT and know you want to do it for the rest of your life. Step 2: Do absolutely everything in your power and control to be accepted into a school. If you don't get in first time, you must improve your application and reapply. If you're passionate about PT, you will be willing to. That's also why at many interviews they ask "if you don't get in what are you going to do?" That's a very important question at an interview. If you say "idk maybe look into nursing or something else." That's a big red flag to them in that you're probably not truly passionate about PT. What you should likely say is, "I'm going to do everything in my power to improve my application for next cycle and re-apply and if I don't get in next year I'll reapply next year." That's an important question.

Look I only got accepted into one program so far but I have gotten interviews at almost every school I applied to with similar academic grades as you (and I'm not an athlete.) You'll be okay. Try not to stress as hard as it is. I truly am rooting for you and once you get an interview, it is your time to shine because you're basically already accepted.

I hope this helps a little bit and if you have any other questions we can exchange emails or something.

Thanks for your feedback! This is all so true and extremely helpful and it certainly gives me hope that I DO have the chance to get accepted into a program. And even if I do not get in on my first try, I can focus on improving my application and try again. But of course, fingers crossed that I can land a few interviews and get into a program. :) I do believe everything happens for a reason and that we all end up where we are meant to be, so I keep reminding myself of that when I get overly stressed about the entire process...

Also, congrats on getting accepted--thats awesome! Which school did you get accepted to? I'd love to exchange emails -- not sure how to do that on here though -- I'm assuming there's a private message option, lol

Volunteer

Observation Hours
450 hours Outpatient
30 hours Inpatient

LORs:

Out of curiosity did you get an email from MGH about not being admitted? Or did you just not receive an invite to the open house?

I got an email
Oh okay. By the way, I believe the reason you didn't get into MGH is due to your AWA GRE score. On MGH's page on PTCAS it states that their minimum for the writing section is a 3.5. Unfortunately most schools won't consider your application if you don't meet all of their minimums.

I don't really remember how long my essay was, sorry. I didn't meet the GRE requirement, but I realized too late...because I had already submitted my app via PTCAS. I am pretty sure they are going to send me an automatic rejection, so I didn't really write much.

is Gannon an accredited institution?[/QUOTE]

Gannon (Erie, PA) is accredited. However, Gannon (Ruskin, FL) is in candidacy. They mentioned that there is a high chance that they will be accredited after the first batch of graduates. If they do not receive accreditation, they will use Gannon (Erie)'s accreditation to allow us to take the NPTE.

Anyone going to be at Concordia university of Wisconsin’s interview on Saturday?

Thanks for your feedback! This is all so true and extremely helpful and it certainly gives me hope that I DO have the chance to get accepted into a program. And even if I do not get in on my first try, I can focus on improving my application and try again. But of course, fingers crossed that I can land a few interviews and get into a program. :) I do believe everything happens for a reason and that we all end up where we are meant to be, so I keep reminding myself of that when I get overly stressed about the entire process...

Also, congrats on getting accepted--thats awesome! Which school did you get accepted to? I'd love to exchange emails -- not sure how to do that on here though -- I'm assuming there's a private message option, lol

No problem. We're all on a team here just trying to get into PT school. It helps everyone if we all work together! So I'm pretty new to SDN but I think you can do private messages but you have to kind of manually enable it. I tried to start a conversation with you (private message basically) but it did not let me send it. I think you have to click on your name in the top right part of screen, then click privacy, then check "post messages on your profile page" then select members only. Maybe that will work... I've never tried it before. But I just did that on my end so if you do it and try to send me a message I'll look out for it

University: Kennesaw State University
Majors: Exercise Science
Cumulative GPA: 3.29
GRE: 155 V, 154 Q, 4.0 W
Extra-curricular: Exercise Science Club, Academic Quiz Bowl Participant, PC chair for sorority, part time job throughout all 4 years

1000 Outpatient
20 Outpatient Balance and Spinal Cord
40 Inpatient

Certification:
CPR and First Aid
LORs: 2 Physical Therapist, 1 Chemistry Professor, 1 Employer

Applying: University of Colorado, Franklin Pierce (AZ and NH), Rocky Mtn University of Health Professions, Midwestern University, Augusta University

Interviews: Augusta University (10/19), Midwestern University(11/5),
Acceptances: Midwestern University (11/14) :D
Rejections:
RMUoHP

University: Kent State University
Major: Exercise Science/Pre Physical Therapy
Cumulative GPA: 3.81
PreReq GPA: 3.9
GRE: Verbal 148 Quant 152 Writing 4.5
Extra Curricular: Service Chair of Honors Fraternity, worked in an exercise science research lab, a student ambassador for 2 semesters, dance team for 1 semester, volunteer @ the Barber National Institute.

Volunteer/Work Experience: 500 + hours working as a PT Tech, 20 hours @ outpatient children's clinic, 8 hours @ inpatient acute care.

LORs: 2 PTs I work with, 1 Professor, 1 former boss

Applied: Chatham, Gannon (Erie), Slippery Rock, Ohio State University, Radford

Interviews: Chatham (11/03), Radford (11/16)

Accepted: Gannon (11/14), Radford (11/20), Chatham (11/21), Slippery Rock (12/14)

Rejected: N/A

Last edited:
First time posting! I know my chances are low with my pGPA, but hoping for the best this cycle!

University: Northwestern University
Major: Dance and Psychology
Undergrad GPA: 3.37
Postbacc GPA: 4.0
Pre-requisite GPA: 3.0-3.2 depending on school, only applying where I meet the minimum
GRE: 156V, 159Q, 5.0 W
*Included a statement in my application saying that many of my prerequisite courses were taken during a time of serious injury/chronic pain, leading to me having spinal surgery over winter break of my junior year. I know this affected my grades in these courses, but it did give me a lot more exposure to PT as a patient.

Extra-curriculars/Experiences: Research Assistant in a psychology lab, Research Assistant on a dance science project, student admissions council (host prospective students and show them around campus/tell them about the school), president/founder of an a cappella group, member of 3 dance groups, performed in and choreographed for many dance shows on campus, choreographed a musical on campus, executive board/public relations chair for my dance group, volunteer at 2 animal shelters

Volunteer/Observation Hours: Over 350 (with 250 more in progress) working as a rehab aide in an outpatient clinic; 34 unpaid at outpatient clinics; 11 in occupational outpatient, 7 in wellness outpatient, 25 in inpatient

Certification: Adult and pediatric CPR, AED, and first aid

LORs: 1 PT (the manager of the clinic where I work), 1 psych professor who runs the lab I worked in, 1 dance professor who mentors the graduating dance majors

Applying: Northwestern, Rosalind Franklin, UIC, NYU, Touro, Franklin Pierce (NH and AZ), GWU, Hampton, UMiami, Emory, Regis

Interviews: NYU (12/7)

Acceptances:

Updates:
Received invitation for Touro supplemental app (11/2)

Hey! We applied to similar places, and I wanna work with dancers, so feel free to PM me and we can chat! I tried to message you but it didn’t let me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

UPDATE!!

University
: University of Louisiana at Lafayette
Undergrad GPA: 3.43
Pre-requisite GPA: 3.1-3.4 depending on school
GRE: 1st test: 149V, 150Q, 3.5W, 2nd test: 150V, 148 Q (A few schools I applied to super-score the GRE if you took it more than once so that’s why I included both.)

Extracurriculars/Experiences: Office Of Orientation camp mentor, Personal Trainer through my University, Activity Coordinator for Recreational sports division, Exercise Physiology Subject x2 in published research study (Blood/glucose level & Bod Pod as well as VO2 Max Test), D.R.E.A.M.S Foundation Volunteer, Officer in Sigma Chi Fraternity, The Big Event school-wide day of service volunteer, Habitat for Humanity Volunteer

Awards/Achievements: Dean’s List x4, President’s List x1

Volunteer/Observation Hours: ~1200 Hours outpatient Orthopedic Clinic

LORs: 2 PT ‘s, 1 Mentor

Applying: FranU, LSUHSC Shreveport, St. Augustine (Austin, TX), Texas Tech, USC, Nova Ft. Lauderdale, William Carey, Alabama State University, University of South Alabama

Interviews: St. Augustine (Austin,TX) 11/16

Rejections: LSUHSC Shreveport, Alabama State University (on a technicality of observation hours.)

Extremely ecstatic to have gotten an interview! If anyone has some tips or insight to the interview process, let me know!

UPDATE!!

University
GRE: 1st test: 149V, 150Q, 3.5W, 2nd test: 150V, 148 Q (A few schools I applied to super-score the GRE if you took it more than once so that’s why I included both.)

Extracurriculars/Experiences: Office Of Orientation camp mentor, Personal Trainer through my University, Activity Coordinator for Recreational sports division, Exercise Physiology Subject x2 in published research study (Blood/glucose level & Bod Pod as well as VO2 Max Test), D.R.E.A.M.S Foundation Volunteer, Officer in Sigma Chi Fraternity, The Big Event school-wide day of service volunteer, Habitat for Humanity Volunteer

Applying: FranU, LSUHSC Shreveport, St. Augustine (Austin, TX), Texas Tech, USC, Nova Ft. Lauderdale, William Carey, Alabama State University, University of South Alabama

Rejections: LSUHSC Shreveport, Alabama State University (on a technicality of observation hours.)

Extremely ecstatic to have gotten an interview! If anyone has some tips or insight to the interview process, let me know!
hey! is your st. augustine interview for the spring start date or the fall?

UPDATE!!

University

Congrats on your interview! I just got accepted to USA Austin for the Fall! Are you interviewing for Fall or Summer?

Congrats on your interview! I just got accepted to USA Austin for the Fall! Are you interviewing for Fall or Summer?
Congrats Dr. Dough, I also got my USA Austin Fall acceptance email yesterday.

Are you a Texas native or coming from out of state?
Also do you plan on committing to U.S.A? Or are you waiting to hear back from other schools?

Congrats again:clap:

UPDATE!!!!!

University
: University of St. Thomas (MN)
Overall GPA: 3.79 (undergrad alone: 3.89)
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.55 or higher depending on the school
GRE: 154 V, 160 Q, 5.0 AW

Extracurriculars: Catholic Medical Association, Dean's List every semester (3 years), Concert Choir, Festival Choir, St. Paul's Outreach, and 6 years volunteering on missions trips.

Observation hours: 103 outpatient, 2 inpatient in 6 different settings. 44 of the hours were done volunteering as a PT Tech.

LOR: 2 from PT's. One I have known since I was a child and the other from a shadowing experience.
2 from professors. One is my advisor and the other I have taken numerous courses from.

Applied: University of Minnesota, St. Catherine University, Mayo Clinic, Concordia (MN), Marquette, University of Illinois at Chicago, Northwestern University, University of Iowa.

Accepted: St. Catherine University, Mayo Clinic (11/15)!!

Interviews: Mayo Clinic (9/14), University of Iowa (declined), Concordia (declined)

Waitlisted: University of Minnesota, Mayo Clinic (11/2)

Rejected: N/A

I will more than likely be attending Mayo and I’m ecstatic!!

Congrats Dr. Dough, I also got my USA Austin Fall acceptance email yesterday.

Are you a Texas native or coming from out of state?
Also do you plan on committing to U.S.A? Or are you waiting to hear back from other schools?

Congrats again:clap:
wait how are you guys getting acceptances for the fall already? I spoke with the counselors and they all said that they were looking at springs right now before focusing on falls.

has anyone heard back for an interview at kean university?

wait how are you guys getting acceptances for the fall already? I spoke with the counselors and they all said that they were looking at springs right now before focusing on falls.
I emailed st Augustine San Marcos about an update (submitted app on October 15) and later got a separate email saying I got an interview for December 13 yesterday. I also saw that they were still trying to fill up summer and spring on the automatic reply emails. Maybe they’re gonna start emailing people this upcoming week.

I emailed st Augustine San Marcos about an update (submitted app on October 15) and later got a separate email saying I got an interview for December 13 yesterday. I also saw that they were still trying to fill up summer and spring on the automatic reply emails. Maybe they’re gonna start emailing people this upcoming week.
Congratulations on the interview!! I also applied to st Augustine and sent Chelsea the email with my number one school and secondary school! If you don’t mind me asking, what were your stats? I just want to see what my chances of scoring an interview are! Thank you and congratulations!

Congratulations on the interview!! I also applied to st Augustine and sent Chelsea the email with my number one school and secondary school! If you don’t mind me asking, what were your stats? I just want to see what my chances of scoring an interview are! Thank you and congratulations!
Thank you! I’m pretty sure this is like the second school we have in common lol. I had San Marcos set as my primary and Austin as my secondary.

Here are my stats:

University: UCSD
Major: Human Development
Undergrad GPA: 3.01
Post Bacc: 3.4
Overall GPA: 3.21
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.4 (upward trend)
St Augustine looks at last 60 and I haven’t calculated that but it’s probably around 3.4
GRE: 149V, 148Q, 5.0AW
LORs: 2 Outpatient PTs [1 is a supervisor, 1 has 30+ years experience], 1 Professor [Physics]

Extra-Curric: Pre-PT club, Kaibigang Pilipino, Hospice Volunteer

Work: Activity Assistant at Nursing Home, Outpatient Physical therapy aide, Acute Rehab Tech, Behavioral Technician

Observation: Acute Rehab (190 Hrs), Outpatient PT Department (1800+ Hours), Pediatric Outpatient (40), Adult Day Health Center PT (70 Hours),

Thank you! I’m pretty sure this is like the second school we have in common lol. I had San Marcos set as my primary and Austin as my secondary.

Here are my stats:

St Augustine looks at last 60 and I haven’t calculated that but it’s probably around 3.4
LORs: 2 Outpatient PTs [1 is a supervisor, 1 has 30+ years experience], 1 Professor [Physics]

Work: Activity Assistant at Nursing Home, Outpatient Physical therapy aide, Acute Rehab Tech, Behavioral Technician

Observation: Acute Rehab (190 Hrs), Outpatient PT Department (1800+ Hours), Pediatric Outpatient (40), Adult Day Health Center PT (70 Hours),
Hey! Are we supposed to send Chelsea an email after we applied? When I emailed her, she just told me that fall apps will be looked at within the next 2 weeks (been about a week and a half)

Hey! Are we supposed to send Chelsea an email after we applied? When I emailed her, she just told me that fall apps will be looked at within the next 2 weeks (been about a week and a half)
I got an email last night from Chelsea asking to write my top program so I said San Marcos residential followed by st Augustine residential as my backup!

Here are my stats:

Haha yeah I believe the other one was U of mary? (Still haven’t heard regarding waitlist) :(. I emailed Chelsea last night with San Marcos being my primary so by the time she Submits my app for review I highly doubt I’ll hear from them soon! Was it a long time after you sent Chelsea the email with your top school that you heard back from admissions? I’m assuming they’re bombarded with paper work so it’s likely they’re working on spring still :(

Hey guys I recently finished my applications to the following schools and was wondering how competitive I was and which schools I had a chance in receiving an interview! Thank you!! Here are my stats

Major: Biology pre-professional
cGPA: 3.4
Last 60(excluding current semester, will go up hopefully!): 3.72
pGPA:
3.65(Usciences)
3.55 Temple
3.66 St. Augustine
3.60 AT Still
3.59 Plymouth State
3.71 Midwestern-Glendale
3.59 Emory & Henry
3.61 University of Lynchburg
3.50 MCPHS

GRE:147/149Verbal and Math 4.0 Writing.

Observation hours:
200 completed 100 pending outpatient geriatrics (worked as a PT aide/volunteer)
50 completed outpatient ped's

total=350 hours in two settings.

Please let me know what you guys think! Thank you!

Applied: USciences, Temple St.Augstine (California), AT Still, Plymouth State, Midwestern-Glendale, Emory&Henry, Lynchburg, MCPHS
Planning: Franklin Pierce(NH),University of Mary

Interviews: University of Mary, University of Sciences, University of New England
Accepted: N/A
Declined: N/A
Waitlisted: Midwestern-Glendale(interview waitlist) MCPHS (interview waitlist-missing 1 pre req) university of mary.

I applied back in early October and did the pre-phone interview two weeks after.

Chelsea told me I’d need to show intent to retake anatomy before she forwards my apps to be reviewed. Long story short, I tried to petition for my anatomy lab units after the pre phone interview (they don’t accept separate labs) but she has only responded once (been over a month already). Just last week, I showed my intent to retake cuz it seems like there’s no other ways to get around it.

I think she just has so many other priorities before the fall apps

I got an email last night from Chelsea asking to write my top program so I said San Marcos residential followed by st Augustine residential as my backup!
What’s the point of telling them our top schools? I’d assume to list USAHS as top choice to be safe but I don’t understand why?

Once you submitted it, you would have to tell her that your application is ready to be reviewed. That email should have included your top choice campus and whether you would like to waitlist for that campus or choose a secondary campus.

Haha yeah I believe the other one was U of mary? (Still haven’t heard regarding waitlist) :(. I emailed Chelsea last night with San Marcos being my primary so by the time she Submits my app for review I highly doubt I’ll hear from them soon! Was it a long time after you sent Chelsea the email with your top school that you heard back from admissions? I’m assuming they’re bombarded with paper work so it’s likely they’re working on spring still :(

For U of Mary, they said you’ll see more movement on the waitlist in January after people from the first round of interviews made their decision and then again in febaruary(second round of interviews). I’m currently sitting at #33 on the waitlist and they said it’s still likely I could get in since they’ve typically accepted up to #35.

I emailed Chelsea my choices the same time I submitted my app on October 15. I heard back a month later on November 16. I think Susan (admissions specialist) got back to me about an interview because I emailed chelsea the day before about my application status.

I applied back in early October and did the pre-phone interview two weeks after.

Chelsea told me I’d need to show intent to retake anatomy before she forwards my apps to be reviewed. Long story short, I tried to petition for my anatomy lab units after the pre phone interview (they don’t accept separate labs) but she has only responded once (been over a month already). Just last week, I showed my intent to retake cuz it seems like there’s no other ways to get around it.

I think she just has so many other priorities before the fall apps

That’s interesting they made you do a pre phone interview
What’s the point of telling them our top schools? I’d assume to list USAHS as top choice to be safe but I don’t understand why?

From my understanding, you want to list your top choice because there’s more than One USA location. You list your top choice and then you have to let them know if you get placed on a waitlist for that top school, if you want to remain on the waitlist for that school or see if a spot is open for you at a different location. You can’t be waitlisted at one school and trying to go for another spot at a different campus.