GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

Discussion in 'Occupational Therapy [ O.T.D ]' started by Elbrus, Jan 26, 2009.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. 90sOT

90sOT

Nov 3, 2016

chickfilaregular, NPULFC and MrTL like this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. MrTL

MrTL

Feb 4, 2017
    Good advice 90sOT.

What's funny is that I noticed a lot of people who applied to both UIC and Rush... if they didn't get into one, they got into the other (if they weren't dismissed by both). Makes me wonder if they look for a certain type of student...

cns93 likes this.
  4. OThopeful43092

OThopeful43092

Sep 29, 2016
    Final Update! I was originally Rejected from University of Florida in March and by a totally crazy unexpected change just got an email on Friday saying they have an opening for me! Over the moon! GO GATORS! :clap:

University:
    University of Florida
    Major/Minor: B.A. Political Science (cum laude)
    Upper Division (last 60 credits) GPA: 3.8
    OTCAS GPA 3.7
    Pre-req GPA: 3.7
    GRE: 153 V 147 Q ( ugh) 4.5 AW
    Observation Hours: 24 inpatient at a hospital ICU, 120 at an outpatient Rehabilitation/hand therapy clinic, 34 both inpatient/outpatient hospital (Inpatient dealt with post op, oncology etc), ~25 hours in a nursing facility (geriatrics), ~20 hours in a Rehabilitation hospital
    220+ hours total

Volunteer: Homeless shelter, ICYE volunteer aborad in Costa Ria in a children's community center, Literacy council tutor, Food bank kitchens, Circle K Kiwanis, Greek philanthropies (Girl Scouts of America etc)
    Work experience: OT Aide at Outpatient Rehab, OT/PT Rehab Technician, Literacy Citizenship Test Tutor, Intern at a US Congressional Office, Legal intern at a Law Firm, various other restaraunt jobs all throughout college
    Other extracurriculars: Division III Cross Country/Track, KD Sorority Sister, Legal Honor Society Inductee, Triathlon team, College Dem political club, Political Phone bank sponser
    Awards: Midwest All Conference Academic Team, Certificate of Congressional recognition, Dean's List and/or President's list at each college I attended, graduated with cum laude honors from UF

Schools Applied to:
    Nova Southeastern University, Midwestern (Glendale AZ), Chatham U, University of Florida, East Carolina U, Phildelphia U, Tennessee State, Carroll University, Davenport U, Springfield College, Winston Salem State U, U Alabama Birmingham, U Central Arkansas, Milligan College, Towson U
    Interviews: Milligan College (declined), Nova Southeastern (10/12) Midwestern U (Arizona) (1/21) Chatham U (11/19), U St. Augustine, Towson U (declined), Tenn State (Declined), U Alabama Birmingham (declined)
    Acceptances: Nova Southeastern, Philadelphia U, U St. Augustine, (2/2/17) Davenport U,(4/2/17) Carroll U, (3/23) University of Florida (4/14)
    Waitlists: Chatham U, Winston Salem State
    Rejections: Eastern Carolina, U Central Arkansas PHD OT program, Springfield College (Accidentally didn't take one of their pre reqs)
    Attending: UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA!!!:soexcited:

2beOT, MrTL, wannabeOT2 and 2 others like this.
  5. OThopeful43092

OThopeful43092

Sep 29, 2016
    Will be giving up my spot at NOVA to some other deserving student!:)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  6. othopeful93

othopeful93

Feb 1, 2016
    I pulled myself off Rush's waitlist in February and just got notified I was accepted...having a bit of a mid semester crises so it's tempting, but I will be re notifying them I am not attending so those still waiting on Rush, they are still looking!

7. otlove23

otlove23

Feb 27, 2017
    Anyone on the NYU waitlist heard anything back?

8. AspiringOT1218

AspiringOT1218

Jan 3, 2017
    To follow that, has anyone on the Pitt waitlist heard anything back?

9. PuppyloverOT

PuppyloverOT

Feb 7, 2017
    I am giving up my spot in the class this week so at least one seat is opening up!

10. uark17

uark17

Apr 17, 2017
    Has anyone been accepted to Temple or waitlisted and then accepted and have any recommendations? They told me I was waitlisted about a month ago and I wasn't sure of the odds of getting in at this point. I have heard that it is good to be persistent with them, but I don't know how much is too much or what to say exactly.

11. AspiringOT1218

AspiringOT1218

Jan 3, 2017
    I just received my acceptance off of the waitlist this afternoon! SO excited! :) Good luck to you wherever you end up going!

12. PuppyloverOT

PuppyloverOT

Feb 7, 2017
    Best of luck! Pittsburgh is an awesome city and Pitt is a good research school. Thanks!

13. MOTmking

MOTmking

Jan 4, 2017
    Has anyone on here that's been accepted to Nova's MOT not found a place to live yet? I just found out I got in off of the high hold list. I have already committed to another program but Nova is really my dream school. I am from New York so I would be totally starting over in 3 weeks lol so I figured finding a roommate would be my first step.

14. aiwalker7

aiwalker7

Mar 21, 2017
    Hey I am renting a room for the summer from the Nova Housing Website, have you joined the Facebook group. I think there were a couple people looking for roommates on there! Message me if you need some more info on it!

15. mdOT17

mdOT17

Jul 24, 2016
    I found out that I got off the waitlist this morning for Emory and Henry! can't wait!! Where are my other E&H folk?? :)

16. _OThopeful_

_OThopeful_

Oct 25, 2016
    UPDATE!!

University: UC Davis
    Major: Human Development
    Overall GPA: 3.99
    Pre-Req GPA: 3.97
    GRE: 164 V, 154 Q, 5 AW

Extra-Curric: Work as a paraeducator at elementary school, internship at preschool/experience 1:1 with boy with autism, research assistant in aging/cognition lab and lab studying autism, VP/founding officer of pre-OT club, Arts-Music-Inspire club member (we did art/music with kids in hospitals and group homes), Davis Aggie Lions club member (community service), patient care volunteer with hospice organization, assistant riding instructor at equestrian therapy center (3 years, provided riding lessons to kids and adults with disabilities)

Volunteer/Shadowing: 202 total with 94 in skilled nursing, 24 in outpatient peds, 42 in elementary school, 42 in hospital/acute rehab

Applying: USC, Stanbridge College, St. Catherine University, College of St. Scholastica, University of Minnesota (Rochester), University of South Dakota (I have family all over and will go anywhere that accepts me!!)

Acceptances: USC, Stanbridge, St. Catherine, College of St. Scholastica (will be attending!)

Rejections:

Interviews: Stanbridge (01/27), University of South Dakota (Declined)

Waitlist: University of Minnesota (Rochester)

I definitely have a few (more than a few) gray hairs after this process. I am so thankful to have gotten into some great programs and have a new place to call home in the fall as I embark on my journey to become an OT. My advice to people applying/on this forum - believe in yourself!!! :)

futureOTforkids likes this.
  17. Melgardner

Melgardner

Dec 2, 2015
    University: Louisiana State University - Shreveport
    Major: Community Health
    Overall GPA: 3.66
    Pre-Req GPA: 3.66
    GRE: 149 Verbal, 152 Quantitative, 4.0 Writing

Extra-Currie: Worked as a therapy tech at a level one trauma hospital in both acute and outpatient areas, worked as a therapy tech at an outpatient pediatric center, worked at an orthotics and prosthetics office

Volunteer: Spent two weeks at a summer camp for the Muscular Dystrophy Association, once as a camp counselor and once as a cabin leader. Spent a semester as a "coach" for an after school program called "Girls on the Run" for girls ranging from 3rd to 5th grade. Spent a semester interning at a daycare/preschool that focused on "inclusive education" by combining children with disabilities and children without disabilities in the same classroom.

Applied: TWU, all campuses

Waitlisted: TWU

Acceptances: TWU Houston (as of this week)

Rejections: none

Interviews: none

OTeezy likes this.
  18. FutureOT13

FutureOT13

Sep 18, 2016
    Final Update for me. Feel free to ask any questions!!
    University: Jefferson College of Health Sciences and Thomas Nelson Community College- Associates in Science
    Major: Health Sciences with Minors in Psychology and Public Health
    Overall GPA: 4.0 (My major was easy, I'm not actually that smart in my opinion :))
    Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
    GRE: Verbal:153 Quantitative:152 Writing:4.5

Extra-Curric: Resident advisor for a year, substitute paraeducator at an elementary school, soccer referee for 5 years, babysitting a lot.

Volunteer: Special Ed. Summer school one year, Early childhood intervention intern for 80 hours, 3 mission trips to Latin America to work with special ed schools and orphanages, and special ed teacher's aide for an hour everyday for a school year.

Shadowing: 45 hours at adult outpatient, 40 at pediatric outpatient, 10 at elementary school, 10 at inpatient rehab

Applied: Jefferson College of Health Sciences and Radford University

Acceptances: Jefferson College of Health Sciences and Radford University

Rejections: None :)

Interviews: Jefferson College of Health Sciences

Currently trying to decide between Jefferson and Radford. I attend Jefferson and love it, but Radford is a lot cheaper. Any advice with this would be appreciated!! Is it better to go to the cheaper school or the school that is a little better???

19. dobber

dobber 2+ Year Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Pennsylvania

Cheaper is good, it doesn't matter where you went to school as long as you pass your boards in the end

FutureOT13 likes this.
  20. akk3

akk3

Apr 10, 2017
    Hello everyone! I am a current undergrad student studying OT. I have a question... I received a "C" in Anatomy and Physiology I, should I retake that class?

21. MrTL

MrTL

Feb 4, 2017
    Yes. Most schools require a B or higher in Anatomy and Physiology I & II to even look at your application. I recommend looking at the school admission requirements for the schools you may want to apply to and contact them if needed.

22. loolin123

loolin123 2+ Year Member

May 9, 2015
    Please review my stats and let me know what I can improve! :) Thank you.

University:
    California State University, Fullerton
    Major: B.S. Health Science
    Overall GPA: 2.75
    Pre-Req GPA: 3.2 - 3.8 (depending on school)
    GRE: 149V, 147Q, 3.5 AW (Will be retaking in August 2017)

Job Experience:
    1000+ hours in-home behavioral therapy for children with Autism (current job)

Volunteer:
    400+ hours in inpatient and outpatient rehab (both peds and geriatric)
    100+ hours outpatient sports therapy (PT/OT/OTA) (current)
    I am thinking about volunteering at a nursing home, but that will happen after the first round of schools in 2018 if they don't accept me.

Applying to:

AT. Still, Touro University, Midwestern University, University of St. Augustine (San Marcos), USC, CSUDH, Stanbridge University, SJSU, West Coast University
    (Should I apply to more schools? I am not able to move out of state further than Nevada at the moment)

23. PNW_OT

PNW_OT

Apr 26, 2016
    9 schools is plenty! It would be exhausting and expensive to apply to more. You will surprise yourself. Make sure you apply as early as possible for rolling admissions schools or they won't give you a chance. Submit your application to Midwestern by end of August and AT Still by the end of September and you should be good for their interviews. Anything after that and you will very likely be waitlisted or not even contacted for an interview.

futureOTforkids likes this.
  24. dbarajas

dbarajas 2+ Year Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Did A.T. Still say why they rejected you?

25. OTeezy

OTeezy

Jun 14, 2017
    University: Cal State Dominguez Hills
    Major: physical education
    Overall GPA: 3.23
    Pre-Req GPA: 3.65
    GRE: pending (taking next month)

Hey guys, I'm new here.
    Question:Since my overall GPA is low, Do you think I should retake A&P 2 and development psychology to get A's. I currently have B's in both. Also, I'm limited to schools to apply because I can't move away to far right now. My choices are LSUHSC-shreveport, LSUHSC- New Orleans, TWU (Texas), and possible UCA (Arkansas)

26. nOTeworthy

nOTeworthy

Nov 12, 2016
    Retaking them would help, yes. If you're applying this cycle, I wouldn't bother unless you're able to take the courses this summer. And remember, the earlier you submit all your documentation, the better. Many schools accept students on a rolling basis. The class may be full before the deadline has passed. So take that into consideration. If you choose not to retake the courses, focus heavily on the LORs and personal statement. They can make or break you. Surely it's what makes the difference between lower GPAs getting in and perfect GPAs getting rejected.

OTeezy likes this.
  27. luminosity

luminosity

May 26, 2017
    Hey guys,

Does anyone know how GPAs from different schools are combined on OTCAS and/or looked at by schools?!

I went to a different school my freshman year and ended up transferring to the school I plan to graduate from this summer and I also took some pre-reqs at a community college (so in total I have 3 different transcripts), and I was just wondering how the cumulative GPA would be calculated.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

28. empassOT2018

empassOT2018

Jun 16, 2017
    Grade Point Averages (GPA’s)

you just combine them all

-update- actually i take this back. i think it depends on the school whether they look at the graduating BA gpa or the total cumulative gpa.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    luminosity likes this.
  29. OTeezy

OTeezy

Jun 14, 2017
    HI! I'm here in Shreveport after moving back from undergrad. Did you apply to LSUHSC Shreveport?

30. empassOT2018

empassOT2018

Jun 16, 2017
    Has anyone had an interview at Stanbridge University before? Would anyone care to share the details?? Thank you!!

31. Aot007

Aot007

Jun 27, 2017
    Okay so here are my stats

University: Florida A&M University
    Major: B.S. Health Science Pre-Occupational therapy
    Overall GPA: Cum 3.17 (2.97 according to OTCAS, should go up retook 2 prereqs)
    Pre-Req GPA: 3.0 - 3.5 (depending on school)
    GRE: 143V, 143Q, 4.0 AW (Will be retaking in August 2017)

Job Experience:
    1000+ hours outpatient clinic as a therapy aide (current job)

Volunteer:
    20 acute care
    20 skilled nursing
    20 outpatient (not including my work hours)

Need some advice about where I should apply, I want to stay in Florida but I wouldn't mind going out of the state. Im trying to be positive as this will be my 2nd year applying :(

neoscarecarecrue likes this.
  32. neoscarecarecrue

neoscarecarecrue 2+ Year Member

Jan 4, 2015
    posted in wrong forum

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017