Grades - really upset and feel hopeless :( I don't know what to do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rayatbh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really don't know who to go to advice about this and to be honest I'm kind of embarresed. I've been crying all day and I've never felt more stupid.

I'm taking molecular genetics and the class is pretty much based on just our test grades. On the first exam I got an 80, which I guess I was okay with because I barely had any time to study and was in a teribble situation the night before. I promised I would pick myself up the next time. I studied SO hard and I felt like I really understood the material. But I just got my grade and I got a 70. I know I probably sound ridiculous and a 70 isn't the end - but I'm really upset because my absolute hardest got me a 70 :(

I'm not sure if this matters but I have a 3.9 GPA and the only classes I've ever struggled with are science classes. I just wish I knew what I was doing wrong.

I'm really scared because I feel like this is going to keep happening to me in all the science classes I'm going to take - my hardest won't be enough.

I don't know what to do.

I'm sorry if this seems like an annoying thing to be upset about.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Cringe class... Get that B and move on.

If you tried your hardest and you got a 70, it's not because you're dumb. It's because you didn't study correctly for the class.

Molecular genetics requires understanding, not sheer memorization. As you go through your slides, think of exam questions that can be asked. "Poke holes" in mechanisms and think out what will happen if things go wrong. Uphill climb from here, but you can pull it off.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
The advice above is good, but I'd like to add that if you're getting a 3.9, you're clearly doing alright in other science classes.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you for the replies I really appreciate it.

I really don't think I solely memorized - I basically turned almost every point in her slides into a question and tested myself by trying to answer it. I also tried to add and some questions that I feel like she would try to ask.
Is this not a good way of studying? I don't know why I found the questions on the exam so difficult:(

Also, I feel like my GPA is only high because I came into college with a little over 40 credit hours because I took classes at my local university throughout high school. I'm a "freshman". Many of them were fun elective classes that I was able to do very well in. I'm afraid now that I'm starting to take science courses it's going to drop.

If this is a curved class, then no worries. And yes from now on, classes are going to get harder so select your classes carefully

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Is the class curved? If so, you're probably doing alright, especially while maintaining a 3.9 GPA so far. Molecular Genetics was one of the hardest courses within the biology program at my undergrad, so don't worry about it being a rough class! It hits everyone pretty hard. Just try to work on understanding rather than memorizing the material, as the above advice is good. Also try and find some tutors at your university who can help you out, preferable those who are around your same age, I've always thought they were a good idea if you are having a hard time with a certain class.

I basically turned almost every point in her slides into a question and tested myself by trying to answer it.

Thing is, multiple questions can come from any given point in molecular genetics.
Besides, the PowerPoint should ONLY be a guide, not the sole source of information. If it is, you're restricting your understanding of the material to the "tip of the iceberg", which could easily be the reason why you don't feel at ease with test questions. Always read the book first and then narrow your focus using the PowerPoint.

Reactions: 3 users
Talk to your professor. They write the exams so they usually have a good idea of how to prepare. Definitely go to office hours and try to really get at the meat of the material not just whatever is covered in lecture. If you can't teach something to a classmate in a couple of sentences, you don't get it and need to study it more or ask questions about it

2nd. You are a freshman. Many people hit this wall as freshmen. College is a different ball game. You can't let bad grades obliterate all of your self worth like that. it's not your fault you feel this way, our education system is built in such a way to encourage unhealthy levels of attachment between self esteem and academic performance. Do not hesitate to get help from your schools counseling center if this is affecting your everyday life.

You are a freshman. You *will* get better at school, trust me. Classes will get harder but you will get smarter. College is a time for growth and you can't grow without being challenged. The whole ordeal wouldn't be worth it at all if it was a walk in the park and we never changed intellectually from our HS selves.

Last edited:
How many science classes have you taken? It sounds like not many. If you are a freshman you'll have time to settle in and figure stuff out. Don't get all upset now. Try to salvage this class, get a tutor, talk to the teacher etc.. and try not to develop a mental block to science courses until you are really sure you have issues with science courses.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I really don't know who to go to advice about this and to be honest I'm kind of embarresed. I've been crying all day and I've never felt more stupid.

I'm taking molecular genetics and the class is pretty much based on just our test grades. On the first exam I got an 80, which I guess I was okay with because I barely had any time to study and was in a teribble situation the night before. I promised I would pick myself up the next time. I studied SO hard and I felt like I really understood the material. But I just got my grade and I got a 70. I know I probably sound ridiculous and a 70 isn't the end - but I'm really upset because my absolute hardest got me a 70 :(

I'm not sure if this matters but I have a 3.9 GPA and the only classes I've ever struggled with are science classes. I just wish I knew what I was doing wrong.

I'm really scared because I feel like this is going to keep happening to me in all the science classes I'm going to take - my hardest won't be enough.

I don't know what to do.

I'm so sorry to hear you are feeling stressed out!
First off, a 3.9 GPA is great. I'm not sure what your science GPA is but getting a B in one class is not going to break your GPA. There will always be other science classes. It's true that study strategies may be different for different classes. Genetics, I felt, was a ton of memorizing, yes, but also tons of understanding. See if your prof gives out practice exams and focus your time on those. I personally didn't really do the book problems as they weren't representative of what came up on exams, but I did do my prof's practice exam problems that he gave out. Start those and studying really early, make it a point to go to office hours. About reading the book, do it if it helps you-myself and many others didn't because our prof's lectures were sufficient, but each class is different, so make sure this would work before trying it. I just felt it helped me focus my efforts best.
Lastly, in my personal opinion, genetics was one of the most difficult science classes I've taken, and not all of them were as difficult.

Try to get a B, learn from your mistakes and move on... It will not kill your GPA or your med school hopes. Hopefully the class gets curved

Seek out your school's learning or education center for help with study tips, habits etc.

More importantly, go visit your school's counseling center, because it appears that the mere thought of performing less than A level is so severely upsetting it's affecting you in a pathological way.

A poor grade is not a loss of face or a sign of weakness (and neither is seeking help).

I don't know what to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seek out your school's learning or education center for help with study tips, habits etc.

More importantly, go visit your school's counseling center, because it appears that the mere thought of performing less than A level is so severely upsetting it's affecting you in a pathological way.

A poor grade is not a loss of face or a sign of weakness (and neither is seeking help).
I disagree, realistically speaking, most med students are type A personality. intrinsically we strive to be the best, and any sign of weakness is woven into a cloth of insecurity. also, medicine is a field where competency and confidence are regarded as important traits, and these factors discourage a student from seeking help when needed. im tired of admins telling people to seek help w/o addressing this issue. they live in delusion.

I disagree, realistically speaking, most med students are type A personality. intrinsically we strive to be the best, and any sign of weakness is woven into a cloth of insecurity. also, medicine is a field where competency and confidence are regarded as important traits, and these factors discourage a student from seeking help when needed. im tired of admins telling people to seek help w/o addressing this issue. they live in delusion.

What? You're arguing that it actually is a weakness to seek help? If someone has an anxiety disorder that's affecting their performance and wellbeing but they are too afraid to get help, I wouldn't say that's a sign of confidence.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd assume wanting to be the best would be the prime reason to seek help. That's not weakness, nor does it imply a lack of confidence... In fact, I think it's quite the opposite. I think someone who's competent knows where he lacks. And if that person is confident enough in his abilities to grasp the material with a little help, that's exactly what he/she will do. A type A person would use every resource available to succeed.

What? You're arguing that it actually is a weakness to seek help? If someone has an anxiety disorder that's affecting their performance and wellbeing but they are too afraid to get help, I wouldn't say that's a sign of confidence.
I'd assume wanting to be the best would be the prime reason to seek help. That's not weakness, nor does it imply a lack of confidence... In fact, I think it's quite the opposite. I think someone who's competent knows where he lacks. And if that person is confident enough in his abilities to grasp the material with a little help, that's exactly what he/she will do. A type A person would use every resource available to succeed.
I have no issue w/ people seeking help and I agree w/ both of you. Personally, i have a brah who i confide w/ when i go too hard studying. My point is that even though med schools have resources to assist students in these aspects, i.e. counseling, therapy, etc. The environment of medical school is still a deterring factor. I'm glad they pushed forth pass/fail instead of grading scales to alleviate some of the pressure, but we still have a long way to go. I hope the olympus gods of medicine will take a look at how med school is structured and promote a more suitable learning environment. Oh, that along w/ residency (i would hate to work 200 hrs a wk)

You are giving not merely poor advice, but dangerous advice. If the OP had hematuria, would you tell them to ignore it and push on. Your attitude trivializing mental health issues is appalling.

You are giving not merely poor advice, but dangerous advice. If the OP had hematuria, would you tell them to ignore it and push on. Your attitude trivializing mental health issues is appalling.
what a poor analogy comparing apples and oranges. you clearly did not understand the point i was trying to make or simply ignore it. I want us to improve on the status quo by addressing these issues and you are simply trying to restrict my agenda by distorting my statement.

How are your classmates doing on the exams? It's possible that this class is curved and a 70 or 80 translates to a high B or an A.

I have no issue w/ people seeking help and I agree w/ both of you. Personally, i have a brah who i confide w/ when i go too hard studying. My point is that even though med schools have resources to assist students in these aspects, i.e. counseling, therapy, etc. The environment of medical school is still a deterring factor. I'm glad they pushed forth pass/fail instead of grading scales to alleviate some of the pressure, but we still have a long way to go. I hope the olympus gods of medicine will take a look at how med school is structured and promote a more suitable learning environment. Oh, that along w/ residency (i would hate to work 200 hrs a wk)

I personally want you to be tested in a controlled environment to see how you handle stress and learn to cope with it, as opposed to when my life is in your hands. But that's just me...

In my experience, the reading the book is a waste of time unless the professor is specifically testing out of the book, especially if book information constitutes a majority of the exam information.

I would review all the powerpoints and memorize and understand everything. Memorizing a step and understanding why a step occurs in a mechanism are two separate things. I also found it helpful to break down topics into overarching themes.

Is the class curved? If so, you're probably doing alright, especially while maintaining a 3.9 GPA so far. Molecular Genetics was one of the hardest courses within the biology program at my undergrad, so don't worry about it being a rough class! It hits everyone pretty hard. Just try to work on understanding rather than memorizing the material, as the above advice is good. Also try and find some tutors at your university who can help you out, preferable those who are around your same age, I've always thought they were a good idea if you are having a hard time with a certain class.

Unfortunately she doesn't curve the course at all. I've never had a teacher at my university curve anything.
I'm glad other people found it challegneing though. Hopefully I can pick myself back up. I'm actually studying it right now lol :)

Thing is, multiple questions can come from any given point in molecular genetics.
Besides, the PowerPoint should ONLY be a guide, not the sole source of information. If it is, you're restricting your understanding of the material to the "tip of the iceberg", which could easily be the reason why you don't feel at ease with test questions. Always read the book first and then narrow your focus using the PowerPoint.
This time I'm going to read the chapter (while following along with the lecture), create a question answer outline, do the homework, and go over tons and tons of practice problems. Does this seem high yield? Should I read the book before or after the lecture?

Thank you :)

Talk to your professor. They write the exams so they usually have a good idea of how to prepare. Definitely go to office hours and try to really get at the meat of the material not just whatever is covered in lecture.

You are a freshman. You *will* get better at school, trust me. Classes will get harder but you will get smarter.

You are right. I just need to figure out how to tackle college science courses.
About talking to my professor though...she's really very very unapproachable and rude. Me and many others in the class have experienced her called us dumb or being very unhelpful when we ask for help. That's another reason this class is really upsetting me. The professor seems very unpassionate about teaching and helping students succeed - and I don't feel like the test correlates with what she teaches us but that could just be me.
I know I shouldn't blame the teacher for my difficult time in the class, but I think not being able to seek help from her makes things a little more difficult :(

This time I'm going to read the chapter (while following along with the lecture), create a question answer outline, do the homework, and go over tons and tons of practice problems. Does this seem high yield? Should I read the book before or after the lecture?

It personally helped me to attend lecture, read the notes from it thoroughly, and then if confused, read the book. My professor would test all from the lecture notes. But if your professor is different, maybe you should read the chapter. That said, I still think it's best after the lecture. The lecture helps you understand big ideas, once you get that it's easier to fill in details from the book

I hope if my doctor doesn't understand something he does a consult to a doctor who does..(aka, seeking help)

Anyways OP, you sure do have a crappy instructor... Maybe seek out someone who tutors for molecular biology at your tutoring center?
How much of your grade are the exams worth?
Maybe you might have a chance to pull out a B+ or A- if your college grades like that?
A B+ wouldn't be that bad compared to a single B.

I'd suggest: 1) glancing over the chapter before and during lecture just so you have a better idea of what is being discussed.
2) After the lecture, actually read (and understand) the chapter.
3) Focus on whatever topic was emphasized during lecture and in the PowerPoint slides.