Graduate/Apply in 3 or 4 Years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marquis_Phoenix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can graduate with a 4 years honors degree in 3 years. I'm not sure whether there is any benefit to it, other than the time that would be shaved off it.

Disadvantages

1) One less year of experiences, which is particularly important for publications - a difference of having 2 years, versus 3 years of research experience under your belt.
2) Potentially lower grades in fourth year courses when taking them in third year.
3) Placed into a different applicant pool if pursuing/completing graduate degree.

Advantages

1) One less year in training through the medical process.
2) Option to complete a Master's degree in a year, and apply with a very strong research application.

Options

1) Graduate in 3 years, apply to medical school = higher chance of being turned down by top schools given the competitiveness of the pool and relegated to a second-choice school (the objective being PhD/MD or HST)
2) Graduate in 3 years, finish Master's in a year, then apply on equal standing with other 4 year applicants.
3) Stick around for 4 years and take an extra fourth year courses of interest.

Members don't see this ad.

I was totaly in your shoes 1 year ago. I decided to go for it and do the honors degree in 3. If i get rejected then i still have a years worth of stuff planned, and about 40% of the first year class is composed of 2nd year applicants. Really cant hurt you! expecialy if you get in.

Things are looking ok for me at this point... i applied late though