Graduated with low GPA, out of school for 4 years now. What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paxromanra

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a 2.6 biology major 3 years ago and have been out of school since. After working, now I’m really trying to get into Dental school and not sure what steps I need to do. I’ve applied to some local graduate programs but have been denied. What should I do?

What can I do to put me on a fast track to Dental school? Any advice is welcomed, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If 2.6 is your science GPA, what’s your overall GPA? If the over all is below a 3.0 then you won’t meet the minimum requirements at most dental schools. I would go to the local community collage or university and start taking science (bio and chem) classes to raise both the science and overall GPA. Also all the requirement classes need to be at least a “C” to be acceptable.

If 2.6 is your science GPA, what’s your overall GPA? If the over all is below a 3.0 then you won’t meet the minimum requirements at most dental schools. I would go to the local community collage or university and start taking science (bio and chem) classes to raise both the science and overall GPA. Also all the requirement classes need to be at least a “C” to be acceptable.
I’m taking some of the harder science classes at my local community college. It’s possible to raise your gpa through this way even though i graduated elsewhere with a Bachs?

If the gpa is low, back to school you go

Reactions: 1 user
I’m taking some of the harder science classes at my local community college. It’s possible to raise your gpa through this way even though i graduated elsewhere with a Bachs?
Yes, when you apply, all of your courses from every institution will be compiled to generate your application GPA.

It's going to take a while. Keep taking classes for 1-2 years, do well on the DAT, volunteer, shadow and apply to many private schools.

If you can, take your classes at a 4-year institution, even though some schools accept courses from CC's. I know that a lot of schools prefer (some even require) classes to be from 4-year institutions since they are "more rigorous."

It's going to take a while. Keep taking classes for 1-2 years, do well on the DAT, volunteer, shadow and apply to many private schools.
Whats the benefit to applying to many private schools?

Whats the benefit to applying to many private schools?
Private schools will take more people with lower stats on average. Of course, the OP should apply to his state schools too but given the lower stats he should have a better shot at private schools.

Sent from my XT1575 using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
post bach or masters. 2.6 is just too low for them to even consider you.
raise the overall GPA to 3.0, then you can start to think you may have a chance.

let's say you graduated with 120 credits, with 2.6 GPA.
IF you take 40 credits of course and get 3.8, then your GPA would be around 2.9.
If you get 4.0 for those credits, you might be closer to 3.0, but not quite, so to be safe, you would at least need to take 40, but more the better.

Similar situation. ....i got accepted into UNCG for their post-bacc program to start in May...it's really just a 2nd degree program where they advise you on which classes to take. The advantage here would be the possibility of getting North Carolina residency for their state dental schools. Look into SIU Medprep (app closed 01/16), FIU (app opens 02/15), Elms college, rosemont college, San fran (app closes 03/01).... you are eligible for these programs as there is a 2.5 gpa requirement but they are all still competitive as people with higher gpa's apply also.

Good luck and update us on what you decided to do.