Graduates accepted into Competative residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

priceng

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how or where I can find info for DO graduates that were accepted into some of the more competative residencies? The type of info I would be interested in is their graduating GPA their scores on COMLEX/ and or USMLE scores, any research they may have done to get into a particular residency etc, etc. I know that it will probably be a bit different for each residency. I'm just talking about generals here.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how or where I can find info for DO graduates that were accepted into some of the more competative residencies? The type of info I would be interested in is their graduating GPA their scores on COMLEX/ and or USMLE scores, any research they may have done to get into a particular residency etc, etc. I know that it will probably be a bit different for each residency. I'm just talking about generals here.

FAQ -> DO match lists. Or just go into the Osteo forum and look at the badass lists forming for 2010. Highlights include ACGME derm and radonc :eek:

What's funny though is that the tides will soon shift with regards to what students want. Rads, from what I understand, is about to take a kick in the nads, and PC fields are going to get some incentives for the next decade or so, and then move into managed care where you can probably ride out a decent SALARY with perks and no business sense or headaches.

What's funny though is that the tides will soon shift with regards to what students want. Rads, from what I understand, is about to take a kick in the nads

Why?

Members don't see this ad :)
Osmosis?

What's funny though is that the tides will soon shift with regards to what students want. Rads, from what I understand, is about to take a kick in the nads

Why?

Why?

Healthcare legislation is putting more emphasis on primary care.

Healthcare legislation is putting more emphasis on primary care.

And, I'm pretty sure, regulating imaging payments much, much more closely. I think a redistribution will occur, with PC becoming more popular again. Could be wrong though ... there is a chance it may be past the point of no return, and 32 million newly insured will only be the final nail in the coffin. I personally thing the concierge/cash for service PC model is going to start gaining legit momentum in this new wave, and I really support that.

GPA's and board scores are private and would have to be released individually.

And, I'm pretty sure, regulating imaging payments much, much more closely. I think a redistribution will occur, with PC becoming more popular again. Could be wrong though ... there is a chance it may be past the point of no return, and 32 million newly insured will only be the final nail in the coffin. I personally thing the concierge/cash for service PC model is going to start gaining legit momentum in this new wave, and I really support that.
I see the concierge model gaining alot of momentum too. It's an interesting approach because you could see substantial gains with a few of those high end patients depending on how big your retainer fee is and not have to churn through patients so fast just to keep your head above water.

I see the concierge model gaining alot of momentum too. It's an interesting approach because you could see substantial gains with a few of those high end patients depending on how big your retainer fee is and not have to churn through patients so fast just to keep your head above water.

Yeah, it's hard to say "a lot" of momentum ... but I think now is the time it will, if ever, you know?? I think it's a tough game to start from scratch, but if the PC model really does turn into a huge push for managed care (think something like Kaiser), then it will pretty much be the biggest catalyst that the concierge model could ask for. I really like it, and I've seen some cool applications of it.

All Fields go through a boom where they start banking and the residencies become very competitive. Then after a while, so many people try to go into the field and then the bubble bursts and the money moves elsewhere. Up till now, the most competitive residencies have been Radiology and Surgical Subspecialties like Ophtho, Ortho, ENT, etc.

But keep in mind that insurance will now be heavily cutting reimbursements for procedural fields. And PC fields will get a small bump. There will still be a small difference in salaries though.

So what I'm trying to say is go into something you like. Would you still go through 4-5 years of residency and fellowship for radiology and spend your life in an office reading images without much patient contact (interventional is diff) if you will only be making $200k then instead of $400k? If your answer is yes, then it's the right field for you.

Would you still go through 4-5 years of residency and fellowship for radiology and spend your life in an office reading images without much patient contact (interventional is diff) if you will only be making $200k then instead of $400k?

After 4 years of residency dealing with patient contact, "rounding," and mundane busy paperwork, most residents realize that is EXACTLY why Radiology is so awesome!

After 4 years of residency dealing with patient contact, "rounding," and mundane busy paperwork, most residents realize that is EXACTLY why Radiology is so awesome!

lol I know. I can see why some people might hate patient contact.