Graduating in 3.5 years to work my last semester--is this okay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleeplessdreamer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a junior, applying to med school this cycle. I'm getting my BS in neuroscience, and will finish all classes required for my major this semester. All I need left is to work on my research thesis next semester (Fall 2018). Instead of taking fluff/filler classes next Spring (2019) "just because," I'd love to graduate a semester early to work (clinical or not). If I don't get any IIs or acceptances, I would then keep working and start preparing to apply for the next cycle. Any issues with this?

The only potential problem I can think of is I won't be able to carry my leadership positions through another year. For example, I wouldn't be able to apply to be president of an organization I'm deeply involved in because that would require a 1-year commitment. However, do I really need to focus on high leadership roles if I'll already be a senior who submitted my med school application?

I will have finished my major and two minors by Fall 2018, and my GPA is a 4.0. This is what makes me feel like there's no point in spending a semester taking electives. Also, paying for those extra classes isn't an issue (scholarship/financial aid). I just wanted to provide this extra information to help with responses.

Any insight is appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think as long as you have a good job in place (probably clinical would be better, but don't think its too big of a deal if its not) and you have some other extracurriculars (volunteering, shadowing etc) to balance out losing those leadership roles then it should be fine! Schools will see that you performed well academically and I believe will be understanding of you wanting to work/save money/whatever!

Why the heck would you want to work if you are going to graduate early and have good credentials for applying to medical school? You are better off doing things you enjoy doing during that time instead of absolutely pointless clinical roles that will earn you little to no money and teach you nothing. If I had that time off, I would drive across the country, go to Las Vegas, then maybe Europe, and catch up on all my hobbies that I couldn't do while in undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I'm a junior, applying to med school this cycle. I'm getting my BS in neuroscience, and will finish all classes required for my major this semester. All I need left is to work on my research thesis next semester (Fall 2018). Instead of taking fluff/filler classes next Spring (2019) "just because," I'd love to graduate a semester early to work (clinical or not). If I don't get any IIs or acceptances, I would then keep working and start preparing to apply for the next cycle. Any issues with this?

The only potential problem I can think of is I won't be able to carry my leadership positions through another year. For example, I wouldn't be able to apply to be president of an organization I'm deeply involved in because that would require a 1-year commitment. However, do I really need to focus on high leadership roles if I'll already be a senior who submitted my med school application?

I will have finished my major and two minors by Fall 2018, and my GPA is a 4.0. This is what makes me feel like there's no point in spending a semester taking electives. Also, paying for those extra classes isn't an issue (scholarship/financial aid). I just wanted to provide this extra information to help with responses.

Any insight is appreciated!!
Graduating early won't hurt you, so long as you can continue with some of your relevant ECs.

Reactions: 1 users
I graduated a semester early, currently working in a research lab (inorganic chem) on campus. My cycle went well, and I don't thing graduating early hurt me at all if anything it gave me something to put in my update letter. Although if paying for the classes isn't an issue then maybe you should consider staying, spring semester of your senior year is one to enjoy and share with your college friends!

While I understand your worry about the leadership positions, I think no adcom would hold it against you for stopping them because you graduated. The cost is not worth any benefit that the extra experience would provide, and I think it probably wouldn’t make any difference at all on your application.

Working is a great idea; clinical work experience is a good addition to your app and it will afford you a lot of insight into your future profession. Also, you’ll gain a perspective that much of your class will not have. Grinding out 12 hour shifts in an ER/Clinic busting ass will give you a different view of how hard it is to study in your preclinical years.

Reactions: 1 users
I recently graduated one semester early (3.5 years), matriculating this fall, and I personally do not regret my decision. I'm working 40 hours a week and still have plenty of time to do other things that I enjoy as well. It's possible!