Graduating with low GPA... What are my options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artfreakpdc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
So, I will be graduating from UC Davis in June, but not on a happier note.
I realized that I don't like my major until really recently (which is Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior), and it has been dragging me with classes that I just never found interesting (the Neurobiology part).
Anyways, this dragged my GPA catastrophically, and at this point, my overall GPA is 2.77, and my science GPA? Don't even ask.
I'm also an Art Studio minor (I'm a painter), and I spend some time working on my art projects. I have amazing extracurricular experiences that I am excited to write on my future application, including my own art exhibitions, volunteering in India and Peru, and working as an intern at many different dental offices for four years.

I've been wanting to become a dentist for a really long time. It has been my only goal since high school. College did not go the way I expected it to be, no matter how hard I studied, went to office hours, attended group study sessions, etc. I'm so miserable, and I really don't know what to do at this point and am in dire need for assistance.

At this point, I have been talking to my mentors and advisors, and the best options for me is to either attend pre-health post-bac at San Francisco State University or California State University, East Bay, or sign up for Open University program at a local state university or community college and retake the core pre-requisite classes that I did not do well in. In the meantime, they believe I should find an office that I can shadow/intern in.

Also, I have not taken my DAT yet. I plan to start studying for the test this summer.

But what are your opinions on my current plan? Do you think I have a shot at getting into SFSU or CSU's post-bac programs? Do you have any other feedbacks that you can provide, or are there any other advices that you can give me? I'm very desperate to become a dentist, and I am seriously in need of your help. Thank you everyone. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone.
So, I will be graduating from UC Davis in June, but not on a happier note.
I realized that I don't like my major until really recently (which is Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior), and it has been dragging me with classes that I just never found interesting (the Neurobiology part).
Anyways, this dragged my GPA catastrophically, and at this point, my overall GPA is 2.77, and my science GPA? Don't even ask.
I'm also an Art Studio minor (I'm a painter), and I spend some time working on my art projects.

I've been wanting to become a dentist for a really long time. It has been my only goal since high school. College did not go the way I expected it to be, no matter how hard I studied, went to office hours, attended group study sessions, etc. I'm so miserable, and I really don't know what to do at this point and am in dire need for assistance.

At this point, I have been talking to my mentors and advisors, and the best options for me is to either attend pre-health post-bac at San Francisco State University or California State University, East Bay, or sign up for Open University program at a local state university or community college and retake the core pre-requisite classes that I did not do well in. In the meantime, they believe I should find an office that I can shadow/intern in.

Also, I have not taken my DAT yet. I plan to start studying for the test this summer.

But what are your opinions on my current plan? Do you have any other feedbacks that you can provide, or are there any other advices that you can give me? I'm very desperate to become a dentist, and I am seriously in need of your help. Thank you everyone. :)

do u struggle in the lower division bio/chem/ochem courses? if so i think its better that you repeat these classes and take the DAT after.

yea college is a drag when classes is boring but hang in there June is around the corner

Reactions: 1 users
do u struggle in the lower division bio/chem/ochem courses? if so i think its better that you repeat these classes and take the DAT after.

yea college is a drag when classes is boring but hang in there June is around the corner

I struggled in the later portion of Organic Chemistry (especially with NMR), but I did quite okay. My GPA tanked because of upper division classes that I did not do well in as well as elective Neurobiology classes that I had to take (which are mostly reading research papers and learning deeply about the brain). :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I struggled in the later portion of Organic Chemistry (especially with NMR), but I did quite okay. My GPA tanked because of upper division classes that I did not do well in as well as elective Neurobiology classes that I had to take (which are mostly reading research papers and learning deeply about the brain). :(

I am graduating this June from UC Irvine and neurobiology in irvine (similar to ur neurobio/physiology/behavior) is only saved for the most gunner premed but still only a portion of those do well. Thus, the majority of the class just remain as general biological science major. I heard not great things about this major.

So did you join this major because you like neuro a lot? or because it is the hyped up specialization of bio major?

if u have the study habit, you can pull 2.7 to 3.3 GPA after 1 year of taking 20 units semester classes/semester in community college! must be able to maintain As of course. For GPA 3.4-3.5, probably 2 years. But dont rush taking the DAT, pull ur GPA up first and gain some confidence.

you are looking at two years re-doing stuff to be ready to submit the application in my opinion. or you can look into SMP (specialized master program) where you just need to do well in this program 1 year and the selected schools will just take this year to judge ur academic record and lessen the weight they put on your 4-year neurobio major program.

Reactions: 1 user
I am graduating this June from UC Irvine and neurobiology in irvine (similar to ur neurobio/physiology/behavior) is only saved for the most gunner premed but still only a portion of those do well. Thus, the majority of the class just remain as general biological science major. I heard not great things about this major.

So did you join this major because you like neuro a lot? or because it is the hyped up specialization of bio major?

if u have the study habit, you can pull 2.7 to 3.3 GPA after 1 year of taking 20 units semester classes/semester in community college! must be able to maintain As of course. For GPA 3.4-3.5, probably 2 years. But dont rush taking the DAT, pull ur GPA up first and gain some confidence.

you are looking at two years re-doing stuff to be ready to submit the application in my opinion. or you can look into SMP (specialized master program) where you just need to do well in this program 1 year and the selected schools will just take this year to judge ur academic record and lessen the weight they put on your 4-year neurobio major program.

At a community college? Is that really wise?

apology, that advice is for if the OP is to choose the cheapest option for post bachelor, which is at a community college.

I would think a 4 yr University would be better. A bit more expensive but if you "pursue" a 2nd degree, you are legible for financial aid.

I would think a 4 yr University would be better. A bit more expensive but if you "pursue" a 2nd degree, you are legible for financial aid.

for my state CA, cal grant runs out at 4 year mark, and fed grant runs out at 6 year mark, and fed grant doesnt cover all tuition.

for my state CA, cal grant runs out at 4 year mark, and fed grant runs out at 6 year mark, and fed grant doesnt cover all tuition.
Well. First of all, you should have thought of doing better if you are worried about $$ in the first place. Any path you take from now on will be expensive and you should know that. You had your chance to do well, and after you graduate, you will be on your own. Many postbac students either use their savings or pull out loans. Scratch out CC as post-bac: not a wise move graduating from 4 year university.
Now, the real question that you should be asking to yourself is whether you really tried your best and you ended with 2.77 GPA or not. Do you think you can start getting As? If you think you tried everything within your power and that's the GPA you got, then forget about Dschool. If you think you can improve by changing your study habits and get better grades, then stick to your dream. Before moving forward, think about it very hard. Academically, dental school will be very challenging due to volume. The amount of information that I have to study, it feels as if I was studying for undergrad finals for every test in dschool.
If you have no clue whether you know you can do better or not, enroll in those postbac programs or open university (I know SFSU is more competitive to get into, try CSUEB), and try your 1st term doing postbac.

Reactions: 2 users
Well. First of all, you should have thought of doing better if you are worried about $$ in the first place. Any path you take from now on will be expensive and you should know that. You had your chance to do well, and after you graduate, you will be on your own. Many postbac students either use their savings or pull out loans. Scratch out CC as post-bac: not a wise move graduating from 4 year university.
Now, the real question that you should be asking to yourself is whether you really tried your best and you ended with 2.77 GPA or not. Do you think you can start getting As? If you think you tried everything within your power and that's the GPA you got, then forget about Dschool. If you think you can improve by changing your study habits and get better grades, then stick to your dream. Before moving forward, think about it very hard. Academically, dental school will be very challenging due to volume. The amount of information that I have to study, it feels as if I was studying for undergrad finals for every test in dschool.
If you have no clue whether you know you can do better or not, enroll in those postbac programs or open university (I know SFSU is more competitive to get into, try CSUEB), and try your 1st term doing postbac.

Good point. I would not criticize him though. For all we know, something drastic may have happened that threw him off track during college. Life happens. You should re-prioritize what went wrong and address those issues. Once you have done that, put everything into studying and try to get a post bac GPA of at least 3.7+. Knock it out of the park. If you did everything you could and still couldn't pull off the necessary grades, there's a chance you may have to reconsider dentistry. Let's hope you pull through buddy.

Reactions: 1 users
2 year SMP is your best bet getting a 4.0. Other than that, I don't see any other option really that would make you somewhat competitive :(.

Good point. I would not criticize him though. For all we know, something drastic may have happened that threw him off track during college. Life happens. You should re-prioritize what went wrong and address those issues. Once you have done that, put everything into studying and try to get a post bac GPA of at least 3.7+. Knock it out of the park. If you did everything you could and still couldn't pull off the necessary grades, there's a chance you may have to reconsider dentistry. Let's hope you pull through buddy.

btw, i am just a commenter, not the OP, lolz it seems like these comments take me as the OP