Babycatcher2B

10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Any thoughts on Iserson's or First Aid for the Match?

I was told by a 4th year that Iserson's Guide to Residency was a great book to get and a must have when applying for residency programs. However, I sat in Barnes and Nobles and looked through the book and I decided that it was too many pages and not worth buying. And if I needed to read it I decided that I would just go Barnes and Noble and read the sections I needed to read. Instead I bought First Aid for the Match. My question is what are everyone's thoughts on these kinds of guides to getting into residencies and matching. Should I go to the store and buy Iserson's too? Any preference between First Aid and Isersons? Any parts of either books that you found absolutely necessary. I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts. :)

nykka3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
los angeles
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Any thoughts on Iserson's or First Aid for the Match?

I was told by a 4th year that Iserson's Guide to Residency was a great book to get and a must have when applying for residency programs. However, I sat in Barnes and Nobles and looked through the book and I decided that it was too many pages and not worth buying. And if I needed to read it I decided that I would just go Barnes and Noble and read the sections I needed to read. Instead I bought First Aid for the Match. My question is what are everyone's thoughts on these kinds of guides to getting into residencies and matching. Should I go to the store and buy Iserson's too? Any preference between First Aid and Isersons? Any parts of either books that you found absolutely necessary. I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts. :)
Iserson's did seem wordy, and I didn't even read the old copy I borrowed. First Aid for the Match seemed useful. I looked at my friend's copy briefly. My academic affairs office was VERY helpful and created workshops and binders full of stuff to prepare us for the interview season successfully. Check with your academic affars office, OBGYN department, and current MS4's at your school. Also do a search on this forum and the ERAS/NRMP forum for additional help. The main hurdles are completing your personal statement and getting your LOR's in on time. I would suggest getting these done first and allowing your LOR writers enough time to finish the letters. Meet with your school's PD and chairman to decide what program's are best for you to apply to. Some programs also require a chairman's letter. Also creating the right match list is also important in securing a residency spot.

Global Disrobal

Along for the ride
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2002
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
I agree with Nykka's post, except that I enjoyed Iserson's. Being a US-IMG it helped me immensely as I did not have a dean's office that was willing to provide other resources.

Also be sure to seatch and find the thread where a sample excel worksheet was posted. That was mighty useful as well.

On a related note, I don't know what the rest of the folks feel about on this issue, but any of you object to us (residents) putting up our personal statements as a guideline for the medstuds on a thread here???

About the Ads
OP
B

Babycatcher2B

10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2008
Status
Medical Student
On a related note, I don't know what the rest of the folks feel about on this issue, but any of you object to us (residents) putting up our personal statements as a guideline for the medstuds on a thread here???

I'd really appreciate it!!!:)

mules05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2005
Status
I'd really appreciate it!!!:)
I'd appreciate that as well....or if people aren't comfortable posting them, maybe just a rough idea of what you wrote about or how you started it? I'm completely at a loss as to where to start!

noles925

Resident
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I feel your pain, as I was in that exact position one year ago. It took me months to finally come up with a good personal statement. The things that I found most helpful were the following.

Although everyone wants to be creative, you don't want to lose sight of the purpose of a personal statement. This is your opportunity to personalize your application. They want to know about you. An interesting opener is nice, but don't lose focus of the entire statement by letting your creativity consume you.

Important things to include in my opinion are:
- why are you interested in Ob/Gyn?
- what are your personal strengths/what will you bring to a program
- what are you looking for in a program
- what are your career goals - private vs. academic, fellowship, etc.

Also, I would try to keep it as close to one page as possible. After being on my medical school's admissions committee, I completely understand the beauty of being short and sweet.

Hope this helps!

ozzidoc

10+ Year Member
May 12, 2007
California & England
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I feel your pain, as I was in that exact position one year ago. It took me months to finally come up with a good personal statement.
Thanks noles, that's really helpful :)

About the Ads