H1B Visa Denials/Delays for Incoming Physicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tromner.hammer

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I'm wondering who else among us has been affected by the H1B visa denials for incoming IMG physicians. It's getting super close to start date and orientation. Apparently about 1000 of us are affected. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything at all on this?

Feel free to DM if you don't want to post publicly.

Thanks.
 
This is also happening for people transitioning into fellowship. “Buy American, Hire American” will cripple this country’s future.
 
Same issue here. My spouse H1b still in process even one month after premium processing application.What status is your visa application in?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same issue here. My spouse H1b still in process even one month after premium processing application.What status is your visa application in?

1.5 months after premium processing, denied. Apparently they are going to re-open the denials, but no movement so far 🙁
 
Received this from the program director today.

The AAMC is pleased to report that that the DHS Office of Academic Engagement has said they are working with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to get resolution for each of the remaining cases of medical residents applying for H-1B visas using AAMC prevailing wage data. We are hopeful that this resolution will allow medical residents to start programs on time without too much disruption.


It is our understanding that there will be no formal public announcement, but that clarifying guidance has been issued internally for USCIS staff conducting reviews. Pending petitions will be processed and allow the use of AAMC data for prevailing wage determination. Any program that received Requests For Evidence (RFE) regarding prevailing wage should respond indicating that clarifying guidance has been issued within USCIS and additional evidence is not necessary. We have also heard reports of approvals for applications that were previously denied without any new action from the petitioner.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am also affected. I'm a rising PGY2 and was on OPT for a year, my H1B application was completed last month and I got an RFE. So frustrating, I can't get back to work until this is resolved. It makes absolutely no sense what they are doing
 
Mine was approved late last week - there is hope. Still waiting for the papers, but at least it was approved! I'm sending good vibes for you all!
 
any other updates? If it's approved for 1 year, do you have to pay for the application for renewal? who is paying the fees, the university or hospital or you? can you transition to a green card during residency?

Has anyone worked as a resident and research assistant simultaneously?
 
Hopefully your university pays but they should have requested an H1B for 3 years. No, you cannot have 2 jobs nor is it feasible. Yes, you could transition to a green card of you meet requirements, but that is a lengthy process.
 
I am also affected. I'm a rising PGY2 and was on OPT for a year, my H1B application was completed last month and I got an RFE. So frustrating, I can't get back to work until this is resolved. It makes absolutely no sense what they are doing
Hi,
kinda in the same boat as you, was your H1b finally approved?