Ha ha young hopefuls your pain is just about to begin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BooMed said:
It's really annoying me that there are two of these threads.

Q--If things get too tough next year, let's run off and become hand models. We'll spend all day trying on engagment rings, cashmere gloves and hand lotion. Can't be too bad, right?
Alas, I have ruined my hands due to an unfortunate sledding accident when I was 11 or 12. Sigh. But I suppose I could still do the gloves. :smuggrin:

Syranope2 said:
I'm sorry, I just found this reply funny, maybe because I was in the same situation a few years ago. I'm an MS2 right now, and there is no way in the world I knew what I was getting in for. I thought I knew. I, too, did "research on the rigors of med school." Research all you want, but I promise you that you have no clue what it's like until you're here. Yeah, I'd heard about how difficult medical school could be and how everybody hates to be there sometimes, so I anticipated it. But I couldn't have guessed what it was really like.

That said, there is no place I'd rather be at this point in my life than right here.

There is no way that med school is worse than I've already made it in my head. I wouldn't be surprised to have a heart attack within the first year. I'm honestly scared ****less! My fears about not being able to "handle it" is what kept me from trying medicine for so many years; there are still days where I question my intelligence to be going down this road. But there's no other route to do what I want to do and now that I'm hooked I don't think I'd be happy doing anything else.

So I'm going to buy stock in NoDoze, buckle down, shut the hell up, and do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
This entire thread is a joke. The OP is probably just a high school student. Actually, I've experienced worse than med school, I've found graduate school to be more stressful. In grad school being junior faculty and a student and being a researcher was worse than being a med student. More duties and more difficult coursework. Med students/physicians like to think that what they are doing is the hardest. Also, in grad school attendance is necessary, when many would prefer to be off studying. Now as a med student I have the luxury of just being a student.

Getting through school is not about how innately intelligent you are but rather how much work you put into it. Life is all about balance. If you obsess about any one part of your life, you're going to be unhappy. If going into medicine ensures you will have a heart attack by age 30, then perhaps you're putting too much pressure on yourself.

before going to the next step in every phase of life, someone has told me how insanely hard it was going to be...going to an ivy league school...taking orgo...the MCAT...and it never was completely unlike anything i'd experienced before, just more difficult or more work.

when meeting current med students on interviews, i always think to myself, "if they can do this, i certainly can!" it's really not going to be that different, just tons more work. whatev, bring it, i'm bored of work by now! ;)

somewhere2010 said:
when meeting current med students on interviews, i always think to myself, "if they can do this, i certainly can!" it's really not going to be that different, just tons more work. whatev, bring it, i'm bored of work by now! ;)
I agree. I'm not even scared of going to school with a bunch of you Ivy kids. :p :laugh:

You're out of your minds. I totally expect medschool to be a real adventure and a great experience. Don't know what you idiots did wrong, but I'm going to have a LOT of fun. :cool:

so what do you advise us to prepare formedschool? there's no way you guys can stop us so might as well give us advice to be prepared so the adjustment isn't that hard.

speaking of adjustment, what were your majors? nonsci or science

Everyone at every level in every profession loves to complain. I'm in med school. Sometimes it's hard, sometimes undergrad was hard, sometimes junior high was hard. I'm sure that being a coal miner is hard too.
People are funny. :)

valedictorian said:
You're out of your minds. I totally expect medschool to be a real adventure and a great experience. Don't know what you idiots did wrong, but I'm going to have a LOT of fun. :cool:

Yeah...Keep expecting that. Just setting yourself up.

Don't you get it?! People are gonna die!!!!!!!

... :laugh: though i find someone w/ a neutrophil avatar claiming not to be nerdy also funny. (Just cause u're a med-nerd doesn't mean u can't have a life by definition. accept who you are!)

why are all these med students coming on here and whining? if life is so hard shouldnt you be studying and making **** better instead of signing on to a pre-med forum and cackling about how knee-deep in crap we are going to be soon?

what a buncha nerds...no wonder you hate med school

Pass :thumbdown:

FACS said:
Ha ha, I read your happy little threads about how happy you are to have "gotten in". Little do you know what you are actually heading toward. A world of pain awaits you. Enjoy. :smuggrin:

STFU.

medicine to me is not work. medicine give me energy. it's like doing a hobby that i love to do. i love seeing people and patients. even to the people that i can't do much for, i still try my best at it.

a world of wonder and joy awaits me. for those that don't truly want to be doctors, a world of pain awaits for them.

theunderdog said:
STFU.

medicine to me is not work. medicine give me energy. it's like doing a hobby that i love to do. i love seeing people and patients. even to the people that i can't do much for, i still try my best at it.

a world of wonder and joy awaits me. for those that don't truly want to be doctors, a world of pain awaits for them.

*gag* the OP was obviously just trying to scare everyone (and i don't agree w/ him at all, I'm a 2nd year and still enjoying it a lot), but the amount of gag-worthy counter-comments it has produced is awe-inspiring. all happy shiny people here.

solitude said:
I love it when medical students/residents/physicians come on here and whine about how crappy life as a doctor is. The saddest part is that they actually think their life is ****ty. What a crock of crap. There are billions of people on this Earth that would give anything to even have the opportunity to receive the education and security from the medical profession, not to mention the recognition and fulfillment. I pity anyone who feels the same way as this ***** poster.

Very well put solitude!