Had timing issues on May 18th test - should I do a quick turnaround repeat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student-of-life

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Reading the different discussions on SDN has been immensely helpful for me, so let me preface my post by thanking everybody in this community - there are some really special people on here, and seeing that has made me even more excited for med school. Okay, now for my question:

On my last two AAMC practice tests, I scored 516 and 517. I was aiming for at least a 515 on the real May 18th test. I knew the material real well but the time constraints hurt me, especially on the C/P section; I was too much of a perfectionist. I actually had to guess on about 15 questions in the C/P section because I ran out of time (I did jump ahead to do the non passage based questions but missed a couple passages). I do feel like I nailed the vast majority of those I did answer with thought, but the fact that I had to guess on that many scares me. I did have an issue with time on that section in the AAMC practice tests but never that bad since the first one I took. I was too careful. On the CARS sections in practice tests, I never ran out of time, and was only averaging about two wrong per section. But on the real test, I didn't have time to read the last passage so had to guess on the last 5 or so (the real CARS passages were much longer than on the practice). I think I did get just about every other question right though; again, I was too careful. On Bio, I think I had the vast majority right but ran out of time on the last passage so again had to guess on about the last six; not sure if I could have moved much faster on this as I was in the mindset of being quick at this point. I nailed Psych. Overall, I'm thinking I probably have a raw score of at least 40/59 for C/P, 46/53 for CARS, 50/59 for Bio, and 55+/59 for psych; I'm hoping this will give me at least a 127 for C/P, two 129s, and one 130 for a total of 515 but I'm not sure how bad the C/P is going to hurt me. For context, folks seem to think it was a particularly tough test so may have a generous curve (gleaned via the May 18th MCAT Reddit).

I honestly wish I could take another test tomorrow as I'd make sure I was much more expedient. I'm flirting with taking another one in two weeks (the closest available date). It's tough as I have other obligations starting this week so won't have a lot of time to study/review in the interim. I know I could always cancel the score if I feel I didn't do significantly better, but I also realize it's tough to gauge given the curve could be different. I realize that folks say the AAMC FL practice tests are a good predictor, but I didn't have to guess on nearly as many; that being said, this test was harder than the practice FLs. I'm concerned that if I wait for my score to be released (June 19th), I may be too late in this year's admissions cycle for a repeat / will not be as sharp on the content. I definitely don't want to wait another year to apply. However, I also realize it could look funky for me to retake in two weeks and then get the same score, and would for sure look bad if I score lower. Part of me feels like I should just chill on it and focus on my app and other responsibilities, and then make a game time decision on a possible retake when the score rolls in. Another part of me says: dude you have the momentum, and you've given it so much already - what's another couple hundred bucks and sacrificing two weeks?

Should I do a quick turnaround re-take or wait for my score? Looking forward to your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Damn this is quite the predicament. If you truly feel you can carry the momentum and manage your time well, I would retake. Blind guessing on C/P section is sure to tank your score, and you probably should have voided if it was a threat to achieving your target score. That said, I would definitely search for available tests, study if possible, and still plan on applying this cycle.

Again, if you feel confident that your performance was a fluke and can be corrected (and also move past it/shake it off), then by all means go ahead and retake. You just need to be damn sure that this retake will go smoother, but nothing is ever guaranteed. You can always void as you said.

If you opt to hold out for your score or retake and void (and apply in early June), then be prepared to retake the MCAT during your gap year and bolster your EC's for the next application cycle. Also you might want to revise your school list - I'm confused as to how you chose schools without an MCAT score.

Another possibility is waiting for your MCAT score before submitting your app, and submitting/holding off until the next cycle depending on whether you are content with your score.
Personally, I would go with this route. A retake in your case is akin to attempting a one rep max immediately after a failed attempt. You are distracted, shaken, and stressed. The fact of the matter is if you aren't ready to apply nor prepared to retake, then you really don't have a choice.

Ultimately, nobody can answer this question better than yourself.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm definitely not shaken, and would prefer thoughts from those who have already been through this process and accepted to medical school.

I would drop it at this point, but what precludes me from giving advice? If you score a 510 or lower on your test any idiot with access to the internet cant tell you that your choices for mid-tier MD schools are limited (unless URM).
Also most people who retake within a couple months of their first test usually never appreciably improve. What makes you think you are any different?

I would post in the pre-med subforum because you are more likely to find the same advice from more experienced individuals.

Edit: forget what I said about the applications and ****, as I cannot speak from experience. However, I do feel qualified to discuss the MCAT as I have gone thru this process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no reason to believe you have any credibility - I know nothing about you or your MCAT scores and you have blocked your profile visibility. You also made assumptions, such as that I was shaken. Also, I definitely scored above a 510 so you clearly don't have much of an idea how scoring works. As I said, I appreciate your input but would like advice from others who I know have successfully navigated the process to med school acceptance. Best wishes to you. Would appreciate thoughts from others; thanks!

Last edited:
Not sure whether to laugh or cry haha. I'm not sure how much more I could have done to prepare - I took 7 practice tests in total and scored 516 and 517 on my last two AAMC FLs. I took them all under test conditions with time constraints, including breaks. If I don't have a solid score revealed on June 19th, do you think I would still have time to re-take and apply this cycle, assuming I get my primaries in early June? Any advice on putting myself in a good position to succeed in a re-take? ie should I continue reviewing content in the interim?

A few thoughts and please read these in the quiet calm voice that you might hear a Marine Drill Instructor yelling at a bumbling new recruit

1) Any applicant rushing to take the MCAT under any circumstances is making a freakin' huge mistake
2) Any applicant rushing to retake the MCAT while planning to apply is making a freakin' bigger mistake
3) Any applicant rushing to retake the MCAT without setting aside significant time ignores the "6P" principle
---Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
4) Now really why I am dressing you down,
--Any Applicant who says "they ran out of time" was not, repeat, not ready to take the G-d damn, mother freakin' exam in the first place
--The only reason you ran out of time is your own freaking, g-d damn fault. There is no student, I repeat no student, who has gone the college who does not have enough time read, no matter how slow, and finish the MCAT
--If you have not included proper timing discipline in your preparation, including all FL, they you havent prepared
--And you freakin' panic?

5) There is no reason, I repeat, there is no reason to think that in two freaking weeks, you will somehow overcome this timing and panic and magically do better on the MCAT. So stop with this freakin' cranial-rectal issue you got, get your freaking app in order and wait, I said G-d damn wait for your freakin' score

Dismissed
You forgot: "Now get on the ground and give me 20!"

Hi everyone. Reading the different discussions on SDN has been immensely helpful for me, so let me preface my post by thanking everybody in this community - there are some really special people on here, and seeing that has made me even more excited for med school. Okay, now for my question:

On my last two AAMC practice tests, I scored 516 and 517. I was aiming for at least a 515 on the real May 18th test. I knew the material real well but the time constraints hurt me, especially on the C/P section; I was too much of a perfectionist. I actually had to guess on about 15 questions in the C/P section because I ran out of time (I did jump ahead to do the non passage based questions but missed a couple passages). I do feel like I nailed the vast majority of those I did answer with thought, but the fact that I had to guess on that many scares me. I did have an issue with time on that section in the AAMC practice tests but never that bad since the first one I took. I was too careful. On the CARS sections in practice tests, I never ran out of time, and was only averaging about two wrong per section. But on the real test, I didn't have time to read the last passage so had to guess on the last 5 or so (the real CARS passages were much longer than on the practice). I think I did get just about every other question right though; again, I was too careful. On Bio, I think I had the vast majority right but ran out of time on the last passage so again had to guess on about the last six; not sure if I could have moved much faster on this as I was in the mindset of being quick at this point. I nailed Psych. Overall, I'm thinking I probably have a raw score of at least 40/59 for C/P, 46/53 for CARS, 50/59 for Bio, and 55+/59 for psych; I'm hoping this will give me at least a 127 for C/P, two 129s, and one 130 for a total of 515 but I'm not sure how bad the C/P is going to hurt me. For context, folks seem to think it was a particularly tough test so may have a generous curve (gleaned via the May 18th MCAT Reddit).

I honestly wish I could take another test tomorrow as I'd make sure I was much more expedient. I'm flirting with taking another one in two weeks (the closest available date). It's tough as I have other obligations starting this week so won't have a lot of time to study/review in the interim. I know I could always cancel the score if I feel I didn't do significantly better, but I also realize it's tough to gauge given the curve could be different. I realize that folks say the AAMC FL practice tests are a good predictor, but I didn't have to guess on nearly as many; that being said, this test was harder than the practice FLs. I'm concerned that if I wait for my score to be released (June 19th), I may be too late in this year's admissions cycle for a repeat / will not be as sharp on the content. I definitely don't want to wait another year to apply. However, I also realize it could look funky for me to retake in two weeks and then get the same score, and would for sure look bad if I score lower. Part of me feels like I should just chill on it and focus on my app and other responsibilities, and then make a game time decision on a possible retake when the score rolls in. Another part of me says: dude you have the momentum, and you've given it so much already - what's another couple hundred bucks and sacrificing two weeks?

Should I do a quick turnaround re-take or wait for my score? Looking forward to your thoughts.
It sounds like you have some test taking anxiety issues. Get those fixed first.

Do NOT take the MCAT until you're 100% ready, and all deficits are fixed.

Thanks for your thoughts. I honestly think a large part of it is just that I'm a slower test taker - always have been. I was barely finishing on the practice tests (and sometimes not, especially on C/P, even while scoring that well), and the real test was definitely more calculation heavy on the C/P and the passages on CARS were a lot longer. That being said, of course I realize that nerves play a role.