Hard to get in and study for dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batman741

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this subject diffcult and hard to get in to?

it seems easier than being a doctor but my friends say that's not the case.....

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about the situation in Hong Kong where you are, but here in the United States, dental school isn't any easier than medical school... At least not at the school I'm in. Why? Because we take many the same courses as the med students do!

During my freshman and sophomore years, we take courses with the med students such as gross anatomy, histology, biochem, path, micro, etc. And at the same time we have to master many of the techniques too for the core dental disciplines like operative, fixed and removable prosthodontics, perio, etc.

Definitely more than meets the eye.

from what I know, the HK dental program is similar to its meds program in that it is also 6 years, directly from high school. The education system is based on the British model, and despite being Canadian myself I believe it's likely to be somewhat inferior to the U.S. in terms of producing good diagnosticians and skillful craftsman... not to mention they don't train a whole lot of people skills (which is the most important thing in making a good dentist)...