Harvard (MD-PhD affiliate) vs UNC (MSTP) - non-trad PhD field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masala58413

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I'm extremely lucky to be in this position. But I'd be lying if I didn't say that this hellish application cycle is ending with a pretty tough choice. I've gone through this application cycle interviewing for both MSTP and MD-only programs. I want to pursue doctoral work in a non-traditional social science. Several schools did not have such programs or would not provide full funding. I have GRE scores on file and the preliminary materials to apply for social science PhD programs. But there's still quite a bit of updating to do; grad application won't be a walk in the park.

At Harvard, I was deferred to the MD-only pool and invited to affiliate into my doctoral program of choice. This is all contingent upon applying to and gaining admission to a PhD program at Harvard/MIT. I have four potential departments to which I could apply during MS1 and/or MS2 year. I am told that about 40% of Harvard MSTP students pursue this route, and that the MD-PhD office helps you to tailor your application. Once in, you are funded and stipended through graduate school and MS3/MS4 years. To recap, this route comes with some uncertainty and I will have to pay for the first two years of medical school.

At UNC, I have been accepted and fully funded to the MSTP program ($33k stipend per year). However, there is a catch. Because I'm in the social sciences, I will have to apply to my doctoral programs of choice and hope I get in by the end of MS2. Having spoken to faculty in my departments of interest, they're pretty sure that I will get admission into the PhD. I am guaranteed funding throughout this process, but there is still that uncertainty.

I know I probably won't get a solid plan until I go to Second Look for each. However, I just need some help framing my thinking. I'm also wondering how much prestige matters after the Step 1 P/F change. I'd love to get the input of non-trad MSTPs or affiliate students. Here's a pro-con list so far:

HarvardUNC
Pro
  • Been my dream school for a long time
  • Amazing research within my field
  • Endless opportunities to collaborate with top scholars
  • Strong history of non-trad PhD candidates; will likely have other MSTP students in same field
  • Boston!
  • MSTP full funding ($33k per year)
  • Strong likelihood of getting grad admission
  • I like big, Southern state schools - went to one for undergrad :)
  • Extremely friendly and supportive MSTP community
Con
  • Have to pay for MS1-2 (and potentially a small part of MS3-4 if the program is low on funding)
  • Uncertainty of applying for graduate programs
  • Ultra-competitive student vibe? Would love input
  • Potential loss of prestige
  • Few non-trad MSTPs; expecting tension between med and grad departments and will have to do some trailblazing
  • Overwhelmingly in-state student body
  • Still have to go through the process of grad application

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@Fencer @Lucca
I hope you two don’t mind me tagging you to this post. I don’t know much about MD/PhD but through your interactions on the forums I know you both do so I tagged you.

Go to Harvard, better long term opportunities. I don’t see you having any problems getting intro graduate programs there

Money won’t be too big of a deal in the grand scheme of things

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Go to Harvard, better long term opportunities. I don’t see you having any problems getting intro graduate programs there

Money won’t be too big of a deal in the grand scheme of things

whether your end goal is to be a physician or mainly a researcher/scientist, the Harvard name may open up lots of opportunities. UNC also sounds like a terrific program and is nothing to sneeze at but the faculty at Harvard are world class imo.

@Fencer @Lucca
I hope you two don’t mind me tagging you to this post. I don’t know much about MD/PhD but through your interactions on the forums I know you both do so I tagged you.

fwiw I voted for Harvard. People won’t like to hear it but in science and academic medicine prestige matters *a lot*. If this was HMS vs another top MSTP id say otherwise but as it stands HMS name is more than worth the price if you’re serious about being an academic physician scientist, arguably even more so if you want to go into industry /private sector.

people will argue things like step 1/ clerkship grades / AOA/papers published / grants won ultimately matter more. Maybe that’s true. Even probably it is. Well, Step1 is going P/f by the time you graduate as an md PhD, HMS has no AOA and virtually everyone honors every clerkship, the MSTP has like a 100% F30 grant rate.

trust me when I tell u that ur life will be one million times better / easier when u don’t have to stress about all the med school hoop BS going to a prestigious P/F true unranked school without AOA. Use your energy to then focus on science. imo worth the money

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Thank you to everyone for your input so far, especially @Lucca

My gut is telling me Harvard so far, especially given that I'm going to have to go through the social science grad admission process either way. Will go into all the Revisits with an open mind and financial aid will be a big factor. But it's good to know that I'm not crazy for leaning toward HMS affiliate

Reactions: 1 users