Has ANYONE heard from Drexel??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MariaLaNasa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to Drexel's MSP program about a month ago and just want to know how long I'm going to be in suspense. Has anyone heard anything??? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I got an over the phone interview with drexel's IMS program after about a month. I hope that helps.

I have a friend who applied to the MSP in January and got her acceptance this week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent in my app early on (Jan. or so), eventually got an interview in March, and waiting to hear back about admissions. Hang in there. Good news takes time... ;)

So do you remember what kinds of questions they asked you guys?

MariaLaNasa said:
I applied to Drexel's MSP program about a month ago and just want to know how long I'm going to be in suspense. Has anyone heard anything??? :confused:

Hey, I also applied to Drexel. I had my stuff sent out to them around mid March. I had my phone interview for the MSP program about a month later (two weeks ago). Like someone mentioned earlier, the interview is very easy- just be you:) Im still waiting to hear back from them also.....What can we do but wait.....

MariaLaNasa said:
So do you remember what kinds of questions they asked you guys?

I applied to Drexel on March 31 and had my phone interview two weeks later. I received my acceptance package for the IMS program yesterday and I have two weeks to decide whether or not I want to enroll.

The phone interview was extremely easy and it lasted about 40 min. She emphasized that it was a "no stress" interview. Here are some questions my interviewer asked me:

Why do you want to be a doctor?
What experiences have helped you prepare you to be a doctor?
What makes you unique?
Strengths and weaknesses?
Did you apply to medical school? Why didn't you apply?
What do you hope this program can do for you?
What do you think the biggest challenge facing healthcare today is?
What are you doing over the summer?

I hope this helps. By the way, did you go to UW-Madison too Maria?

Yup . . I'm graduating from Madison in two weeks. Just trying to figure out where I'll be next year!

so who else is heading out to Drexel next year??

Maria, did u find out if u got accepted?

Are there any MSP'ers that have found out if they got in?

I am accepted to the IMS program and plan on being there next year, unless i can get off a waitlist. Who else is planning on being at Drexel next year for any of the special medical programs. Might be nice to meet a few people before going.

pretty cool to read this post as i'm finishing up the IMS year. good luck to you guys next year. all i can say is that things get really "fun" when physio starts!

phishman10 said:
I am accepted to the IMS program and plan on being there next year, unless i can get off a waitlist. Who else is planning on being at Drexel next year for any of the special medical programs. Might be nice to meet a few people before going.

I got my letter today (May 9) saying I was waitlisted. Any other MSP ppl waitlisted?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied IMS early April and still nothing. I also applied to BU MA med.science post-bac. program. I'll give them some time though since its only been 3 weeks. To those Accepted into Drexels IMS, what should I be looking out for (big envelope, etc. )....

The acceptance came in a big manilla envelope that had enclosed all the information. I wish you guys luck and hope to see you next year.

got denied from IMS. good luck to everyone else!

Starting to worry . . I've called twice and sent an email requesting any information on the status of my app. I know they have it in full but . . just wish I knew!

Just remember that for the IMS, you have to do an interview before they accept you. My interview was ~4 weeks after my app was in and I was accepted ~10 days after my interview. (The interview was pretty laid back, over the phone). My acceptance also came in a fed ex envelope. hm. Good luck to everyone. I will be doing the IMS unless I get off a waitlist.

bump- anyone else think they might be going to Drexel's IMS?

Hi all

Just found out today that I will be interviewed next week via phone so I am pleased. Hopefully I dont trip over myself and reveal my inadequecies ;) . Wish me luck!!!

Tooth

MariaLaNasa said:

I was accepted into the IMS last year and due to personal problems I was granted a deferral to begin this August. I found the phone interview easy and casual, as I spoke with a former MSP student who was matriculating into an MD program. Good luck to those that are still awaiting news!

Good luck Tooth! I had mine last week and I'm completely obsessing over every word I said. However, it is very laid back amd friendly. I hope we both get good news soon!

MariaLaNasa said:
Good luck Tooth! I had mine last week and I'm completely obsessing over every word I said. However, it is very laid back amd friendly. I hope we both get good news soon!

I attended Drexel's MSP program last year and it is the only reason I got into Medical school this year. Everyone was super nice and supportive (not competitive). I was called on a Friday before July 4th and had to wait all weekend to be accepted. My roommate was called during orientation and got off the waitlist in August ( 3 people got in off the waitlist). About the interview the first two questions I had were:

1) Why did you get a C+ in Gen Chem 3 ? (the only C of my life!)

2) Why do you have a withdrawl in X class? (the only withdrawl of my life)

Be prepared to be honest about your weaknesses, but also have reasonable explanations for things such as why you got a C+. After that it was a very easy interview. My friends are working in the admissions office all summer helping and I will call them and see what their timelines look like. Don't be worried if you don't hear anything until June or July because they just finished Finals and now are beginning to work on applications. I will let you know if I hear anything. Good luck

stcathm said:
I attended Drexel's MSP program last year and it is the only reason I got into Medical school this year. Everyone was super nice and supportive (not competitive). I was called on a Friday before July 4th and had to wait all weekend to be accepted. My roommate was called during orientation and got off the waitlist in August ( 3 people got in off the waitlist). About the interview the first two questions I had were:

1) Why did you get a C+ in Gen Chem 3 ? (the only C of my life!)

2) Why do you have a withdrawl in X class? (the only withdrawl of my life)

Be prepared to be honest about your weaknesses, but also have reasonable explanations for things such as why you got a C+. After that it was a very easy interview. My friends are working in the admissions office all summer helping and I will call them and see what their timelines look like. Don't be worried if you don't hear anything until June or July because they just finished Finals and now are beginning to work on applications. I will let you know if I hear anything. Good luck
I am new to this forum, what kind of gpa do they look for. I have 2.7 with mcat score of 32. Is there chance for me, please help

I received my application for drex. earlier this month, however i was reading and it said to apply early b/c spots usually fill up before the application due date. Would it be too late to apply now 5/24/2005, and what stats do they usually look for, or better said,for the people that have gotten in, what were your stats?

Thanks for the help!
R~

It's official . . I'm entering the MSP program next year. Who's with me??

MariaLaNasa said:
It's official . . I'm entering the MSP program next year. Who's with me??

Just wanted to say congratulations :D ! Now, go enjoy your summer.

Good luck in the fall!

jeepgirl said:
Just wanted to say congratulations :D ! Now, go enjoy your summer.

Good luck in the fall!

Just had my interview today. The chick I spoke with was super nice and I think it went well. Anyway good luck to you all!!

Tooth

I just got scheduled to phone interview with Drexel.. Im a bit nervous, any advice from former interviewees would help. :eek:

ghadiel said:
I just got scheduled to phone interview with Drexel.. Im a bit nervous, any advice from former interviewees would help. :eek:

I've done the phone interview. Its pretty laid back, but having it over the phone has its advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantage is not having the luxury of the non-verbal cues that you usually get from interviews that tell you when to stop gabbing...so be careful not to ramble.

Anyway, questions were very standard. Such as: Why do you want to go into medicine? Weaknesses? Strengths? lots on volunteer/healthcare experience... Why do you like the program? etc. I believe that the woman asked me my opinion about the current healthcare situation, malpractice etc. They also asked me about my past applications to med school, how many waitlists did I get, from what schools etc...Which I found a bit odd. Overall, it was very standard and ~45 minutes. Read up on the program and show them you are interested. Goodluck.

Thanks for the insight. I'd like to walk away from this with a positive result so at least you've given me a clue of what to expect.

I applied to MSP program about a month ago, i have an interview this week, on tuesday. I am really getting nervous about it, now that its coming up. What are the things that they look for. I am so nervous, do you guys think that getting an interview is a good thing? What kind of MCAT scores and GPA's are they looking for? Gosh, I am glad i checked this before my interview next week:)

The MSP program is for student who had below a 27 on the MCAT, but a good GPA. The IMS is for students who had poor undergrad GPA's but above a 27 on the MCAT. So each program is tailored to helping you improve your weakness. The IMS program is one year and your take the 1st year of med school via satelite. It is a way to prove to med schools that you have the ability to do well in med school if they accept you. The MSP is 1 year with the option of 2 years to get a masters and the second year you will be with the IMSers. I have to be honest more MSPers got into med school this year than IMSers just because on average their mcat scores went up about 7 points and they boosted their GPA and they took anatomy and pharmacolgy with the med students so they proved themselves in that regard. However, If you are a hard worker you can get into med school from either IMS or MSP. If you do well enough you get an automatic interview at Drexel's med school and I got into Temple and friends from both MSP and IMS got into Jefferson so the schools in Philadelphia know how good the program is and look highly upon your applications. Good luck!

hey stcathm,

I know this might be a difficult question, but from your perspective, about what percentage of IMS students got into med school the following year? THanks

PAPPAPPAP said:
hey stcathm,

I know this might be a difficult question, but from your perspective, about what percentage of IMS students got into med school the following year? THanks

To be honest I am not really sure. Some got in right off the bat to all different med schools, but a lot were waitlisted. It is hard to tell in the summer when everyone leaves if they got in off the waitlists, but I know a lot who did. Also if you don't get in the year of IMS you can do a second year of research and re-apply. A bunch have gotten in the second year. (I think you get a masters if you stay the second year after IMS which looks good.) Laura Magnano is the head of admissions and she gave me percentages when I called. She is very honest ... let's just say that they have a better matriculation rate then schools like UPenn's post bac. Also in the hall at drexel they tell you where everyone got into school and what schools prefer students from Drexe's program. They just e-mailed everyone to find out where they got in, where they got interviews and waitlisted so I think they are compiling all the stats right now.

I turned in my application a month ago, had my interview 2 days ago, and got my acceptance yesterday. How many people are living in the student housing they have available? It seems like a relative good value. Where's everyone else living? Orientation is August 1!! That's one month to turn my life upside down.

Hi all-

Proud to say I just got my acceptance. :thumbup:

Ive been out of school since '96 working as a global manager at a large pharma company. Took Fund of BioMed Sci (BioChem/Mol Bio) at UMDNJ last month and got an A, and then took the MCAT in April and got a 32. Along with my work experience this was able to overcome my poor undergrad performance.

Now I have to sell my house and buy another in philly :eek: no way Ill be there by the beginning of classes but I guess Ill have to figure out how to make it work.

Look forward to meetin you other accepteds during orientation week.

E

You might want to read the acceptance letter along with all the information they gave. From the papers I received, orientation for IMS begins August 1st (at least for IMS, unless you're MSP and the situation is different) and its mandatory. Just don't want you to show up later and loose your seat. So, PLEASE double-check your papers.

I'll be in the MSP in the fall...when are you moving out there and do you have housing yet??

Hi All,
I'm wondering what were your stats when you applied to the IMS program?

thanx
:)

Does Drexel offer any grants or scholarships for financial aid or is it pretty much all loans?

Thanks!

alEXatosu - So did you get accepted the day after your interview?

My interview is this Friday and I am anxious and excited to find out about an acceptance. About how long did the rest of you have to wait for the acceptance? ALso... have you guys been able to secure loans for the program? I have read about people having trouble so I am just hoping it is not as bad as it sounds... Thanks ALL...

JPagan said:
alEXatosu - So did you get accepted the day after your interview?

My interview is this Friday and I am anxious and excited to find out about an acceptance. About how long did the rest of you have to wait for the acceptance? ALso... have you guys been able to secure loans for the program? I have read about people having trouble so I am just hoping it is not as bad as it sounds... Thanks ALL...

yep, the day after...and i'm still waiting to hear from financial aid too. :confused:

alEXatosu said:
yep, the day after...and i'm still waiting to hear from financial aid too. :confused:

Well hopefully I will find out as soon.. Maybe since it is first thing Friday morning I could hear before the weekend, haha Ya right, well I am sure it will be a long weekend...