Haven't heard back from potential LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aharr157

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished taking some DIY post bacc classes this year and I got A's in all but 2, anyway, I emailed 2 professors last week asking to discuss them potentially writing me a LOR. I knew one fairly well, he even recommended me to tutor and one was my premed advisor, but it's been radio silence. Should I email them again or try to approach them in person?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to a world of uncertainty and annoyance. I can't abide "LOR collection season".

Shoot off another email, and if still no response, than I'd leave it at that unless you have a means to casually bump into them.

Context is king. If you're 100% certain they're not the type to write a bad letter, a polite nag is in your interest.

If they might write a bad letter, I'd take radio silence as polite rejection.

Members don't see this ad :)
I finished taking some DIY post bacc classes this year and I got A's in all but 2, anyway, I emailed 2 professors last week asking to discuss them potentially writing me a LOR. I knew one fairly well, he even recommended me to tutor and one was my premed advisor, but it's been radio silence. Should I email them again or try to approach them in person?

Thanks!!
My go to move is to reply to your first email so that when you send the "Just reaching out again.."email, they see the original one too. Usually works! One follow up is warranted, and if they don't respond, cut them loose.

If you live close to the school and it's not a long drive, then YES. In person is also more polite, and at least you won't have to wait around for an email reply.

Thanks for replies guys! I guess I'll give them one more week ( the semester just started) and see if they reply, if not I'll just "occasionally" pop by their office hours. Harder to ignore and to say no in person