Hawaii College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anybody notice Mr. Monroe is no longer the contact person regarding concerns about the school's accreditation? The associate dean is now the contact person. I wonder what happened to Mr. Monroe.

http://www.islandpharmacy.org/accreditation/

Members don't see this ad.

When does school start again? It's getting pretty close.

vafcarrot said:
When does school start again? It's getting pretty close.

The official first day is Oct4. Orientation and our assessment exams will on
the week of Sept 27, an English refresher will on Sept 20 (optional).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not reading too much into the change of contact person. They did just begin a new admissions cycle.

Why are they offering an English refresher? I could understand a how a chemistry refresher would be useful, but not an English refresher.

I looked at the curriculum and it seems to include none of the didactic social skills (aka touchy feely) courses. That could be a problem.

Is the "TM" symbol necessary after the college name? It seems very...commercial.

/cranky

bananaface said:
I'm not reading too much into the change of contact person. They did just begin a new admissions cycle.

Why are they offering an English refresher? I could understand a how a chemistry refresher would be useful, but not an English refresher.

I looked at the curriculum and it seems to include none of the didactic social skills (aka touchy feely) courses. That could be a problem.

Is the "TM" symbol necessary after the college name? It seems very...commercial.

/cranky

The English refresher is optional and for communication skills, during P1 one of our courses is Communication Skills and the Language of Pharmacy .
I don't know why the TM... it might be legalities.

bananaface said:

/cranky

There might be some of that touchy feely stuff in the "Therapeutic Disease State Management" classes, depending on the course topic.

Something else I thought was a little odd is their URL. I thought schools had ".edu" exclusively. Maybe it means nothing, but it just struck me as odd.

ForgetMeNot said:
Something else I thought was a little odd is their URL. I thought schools had ".edu" exclusively. Maybe it means nothing, but it just struck me as odd.

Via Educause.edu:
"To obtain an Internet name in the .edu domain, your institution must be a postsecondary institution that is institutionally accredited by an agency on the U.S. Department of Education's list of Nationally Recognized Accrediting Agencies (see recognized accrediting bodies http://www.educause.edu/edudomain/eligibility.asp#regional ). "

LVPharm said:
Via Educause.edu:
"To obtain an Internet name in the .edu domain, your institution must be a postsecondary institution that is institutionally accredited by an agency on the U.S. Department of Education's list of Nationally Recognized Accrediting Agencies (see recognized accrediting bodies http://www.educause.edu/edudomain/eligibility.asp#regional ). "

p3ned!!!

bananaface said:
Hey are they nonprofit? If they aren't they should not have a .org address.

You may have a point...

From the Public Interest Registry FAQ (http://www.pir.org/faqs/general) :

3. What does "noncommercial" mean?

PIR advocates .ORG for noncommercial uses. Noncommercial endeavors are those not conducted or maintained for the purpose of making a profit. This wide range includes (but isn't limited to) charitable, artistic, scientific, personal, educational, social, cultural, and religious endeavors.

.ORG sites are run by clubs, incorporated and unincorporated not-for-profit organizations, industry associations, families, individuals, schools, foundations, and more. Even for-profit companies run .ORG sites devoted to their noncommercial activities, such as charitable or volunteer programs.

Many noncommercial organizations conduct commerce to support their activities. Examples include clubs that raise funds, hospitals, noncommercial Web sites that run advertising to support their operations, and so on.

BUT...

4. Who is allowed to register .ORG names?

.ORG has always been -- and will continue to be -- an open and unrestricted domain. Anyone is allowed to register and use .ORG domain names.

ICANN requires that .ORG remain an open and unrestricted domain.

PIR sees .ORG as an important resource and advocates strongly for .ORG's use as the home for noncommercial, non-profit and NGO interests on the Internet. Most Internet users expect to find noncommercial, non-profit and NGO sites in .ORG.

....they can register it anyways.

Why does every point that's mentioned about this school turn into something else somewhat shady?? I thought .org was solely a non profit domain also.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder why they registered islandpharmacy.org and hicp.org... both sites show the same thing.

vafcarrot said:
I wonder why they registered islandpharmacy.org and hicp.org... both sites show the same thing.
Hey, its COPYWRITED MATERIAL so don't you DARE copy it off the HICP website!!! lol

"The words Hawaii College of Pharmacy? and its Logo are protected by U.S. Patent and Trademark Laws. Any use of the trademarks without the express written authorization of HICP is in direct violation of U.S. Federal Patent and Trademark Laws.

Logo.gif

bananaface said:
Thant logo does not match the rest of their site. What a blunder in web design.

It also bugs me that they interchange "Hawaii" and "Hawai'i". Either spell it with the apostrophe or don't. :rolleyes:

/rant
quit your salamandering....you're jelous

Caverject said:
quit your salamandering....you're jelous

Caverject, that is "your"...as in "your jelous"

Get it right next time.

LVPharm said:
Caverject, that is "your"...as in "your jelous"

Get it right next time.
no....it's you're as in "you are". The word "your" is used describing something you are involved with or own, such as your school or your home town.

Caverject said:
no....it's you're as in "you are". The word "your" is used describing something you are involved with or own, such as your school or your home town.
You left the "a" out of jealous, CJ. :D Rembember your good friend sarcasm?

Your al jelous off me grammer skillz! :smuggrin:

Caverject said:

Oh, you were trying to be grammatically correct! My mistake...

Did you actually make that yourself? Shouldn't you be studying? ;)

FutureRxGal said:
Also, University of North Texas (Ft. Worth).

UNT is opening a new pharmacy School??!?!?...nothing on their website says so.... :confused:

is this school about to start or what? i would love to know how they really operate. where did our HICP friends go?

HAWAII COLLEGE OF PHARMACY? IS NOT ACCREDITED
BY AN ACCREDITING AGENCY
RECOGNIZED BY THE UNITED STATES
SECRETARY OF EDUCATION.

Note: In the United States, many licensing authorities require accredited degrees as the basis for eligibility for licensing. In some cases, accredited colleges may not accept for transfer courses and degrees completed at unaccredited colleges, and some employers may require an accredited degree as a basis for eligibility for employment.

(Seen posted on www.hicp.org)
At least they're honest.

FutureRxGal said:
Also, University of North Texas (Ft. Worth).

Do you happen to know when North Texas is supposed to be opening or where I might be able to find more information about it.

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this site. I want to apply to HICP for next year admission. I would like to know what the GPA range is for those who got admitted to this school.

How expensive is the housing near the college?

Thanks so much.

You know that you have to pay for tuition out of your own pocket right? You can't get a loan there for school since it is not accredited. If you happen to have 30k lying around though and are not worried about the possibility of not being able to sit for your boards, then by all means apply!

I don't know if this has been posted or not but I found this news story to be interesting.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Sep/10/ln/ln09a.html

I understand that this may be a separate school than what is being referred to in this thread, but how come in the article it is proposed as the state's first college of pharmacy? Wouldn't the school opening in 8 days actually be the first? It simply seems shady to have no mention of HICP in the article if it really is getting ready to open.

250 students??? Surely that can't be accurate if the school is only renting out space and is a start-up school?

The Hawaii College of Pharmacy is spending about $250,000 to launch a three-year doctorate program. The school has temporarily leased lecture-hall classrooms in Kapolei for its first incoming class and expects to break ground in about six to eight months on buildings on its 5.7 acre property in Kapolei.

Tuition is set at about $28,000 per year.

So, they are using 10 student's tuition to pay for the school? Where does all the other money go? There should be about 2.5 million left over!

The University of Hawaii says about 35 to 40 open pharmacist jobs are available with that number increasing every year and a shortage going beyond the number of jobs advertised.

Can anyone make sense out of this sentence? I've read it about 5 times with no luck...

PS. There is no way that their class size is 250. I heard they are hoping for 100 students.

Well, lets hear from the students who started at Hawaii yesterday. How was it? :)

jdpharmd? said:

The University of Hawaii says about 35 to 40 open pharmacist jobs are available with that number increasing every year and a shortage going beyond the number of jobs advertised.

QUOTE]

Well from reading another article posted, I think it is saying that 35 - 40 pharmacist positions open up every year in the state. That number is increasing every year and causing a shortage. The number of pharmacist jobs advertised do not accurately depict the shortage. I think that was a little bit of funky English. I didn't understand it reading it alone.

That whole "pre-enrolled" bit sounds a bit wierd to me. I am not even sure what that really means. If it would not hurt the students so much, I would almost hope that they failed in attaining their accredation status. I think the entire process that they underwent to begin this school was and is unfair to the applicants and I hope that this does not become a business model that becomes widespread.

Well, I'll jump in here. I found a blog from a student at HICP. He's from CA and last updated on Sept. 27 writing that there are 230 students. He said they expect about 150 to graduate. When he first was interviewed the class was expected to be about 130. I can only assume that more students translates into more tuition money! Now the wait is to see if it gets accredited.