Hawaii College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BlueSkyCA said:
you can not understand what I mean :p :p :p
EXACTLY!!

Members don't see this ad.

Please help me understand something. Are your multiple smileys indicative of some sort of nervous twitch you have? :rolleyes:

BlueSkyCA said:
If you are not my aim, you can not understand what I mean :p :p :p

I highly doubt that. Regardless of whom you may be aiming, no one can understand your point without at least popping a few blood vessels. :rolleyes: In all honesty, it's extremely difficult to comprehend anything you post. Do you honestly not see that???

I think some of y'all have had way too many buds!

bbank.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
FutureRxGal said:
Please help me understand something. Are your multiple smileys indicative of some sort of nervous twitch you have? :rolleyes:

I highly doubt that. Regardless of whom you may be aiming, no one can understand your point without at least popping a few blood vessels. :rolleyes: In all honesty, it's extremely difficult to comprehend anything you post. Do you honestly not see that???
:laugh: :laugh: Why am I be nervous? Does it make sense when you said something like that? :thumbdown: :p :p :laugh: :laugh:. If you still don't understand, just forget that. :D

FutureRxGal, I forgot to ask you that who has made me scared or nervous? If you can, let me know. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BlueSkyCA said:
FutureRxGal, I forgot to ask you that who has made me scared or nervous? If you can, let me know. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You know what? There is no need in continuing correspondence with an inept, incoherent troll. Your posts are nothing but rubbish, and I'm completely fine with putting them on ignore.

FutureRxGal said:
You know what? There is no need in continuing correspondence with an inept, incoherent troll. Your posts are nothing but rubbish, and I'm completely fine with putting them on ignore.
:p :p :laugh: :laugh: why are you so angry? Fine, if my "posts are nothing but rubbish", don't you need to get mad. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BlueSkyCA said:
:p :p :laugh: :laugh: why are you so angry? Fine, if my "posts are nothing but rubbish", don't you need to get mad. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

meaningless posts makes me mad.... to be honest i do not understand your post either but please take the fights else where.

kwakster928 said:
meaningless posts makes me mad.... take the fights else where.
:laugh: :laugh: kwakster928, come down. I did not fight or against anybody here. Don't you see that? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Don't get mad. Look back and read all of them to find out who wants to fight. Hope you know. :D

As BlueSkyCA appears to be acting up for the attention, I would suggest that we simply do not respond to incoherent posts.

If you have a point to make BlueSkyCA, we look forward to hearing it. There is no benefit to making a point if you are the only one who knows what you mean. If you become a pharmacist this is something you will need to keep in mind on a regular basis. Why not take this as an opportunity to practice your communication skills instead of just annoying everybody?

Members don't see this ad :)
BlueSkyCA said:
:laugh: :laugh: kwakster928, come down. I did not fight or against anybody here. Don't you see that? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Don't get mad. Look back and read all of them to find out who wants to fight. Hope you know. :D

excessive smile-ies makes me DIZZY!!!

someone please close this stupid thread! i beg you.

People still have HICP questions, so this thread stays open.

BTW, kwakster, you are in charge of whether or not you get angry. No one can get to you unless you let them. Don't waste your enegry getting mad. It is a useless emotion unless you can channel it to get something accomplished.

oh heaven's sake.......................... what other questions? let's sum it up and end it.

1. HICP is not accreditied!
2. you need crap load of money to go there.
3. school is shady at least for now.
4. it is a big gamble take it or leave it.
5. best business tatics i have ever seen.

bananaface said:
BTW, kwakster, you are in charge of whether or not you get angry. No one can get to you unless you let them.

very philosophical.... not mad tiny bit annoyed.

I'm all in favor of either closing this thread or moving it to "The Lounge"...oops, but it would be misconstrued as being disrespectful of HICP. Can we be sued for salamander? I don't know where to get those in LV.

Originally Posted by BlueSkyCA
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ad infinitum

I think what we have here is a failure to communicate. Some second-language learners that have been accepted to HICP are perceiving disrespect whenever anything negative about the school is discussed. They haven't yet acquired the deeper understanding of written English that comes with growing up with the language. Perhaps in their culture, it is disrespectful to be so straight-forward.

I'm sure Bluesky, Lizard, et al. are intelligent people that can comprehend the hell out of an ochem book; they're most likely very pleasant people also. But obviously there's a communication gap here. They're taking it personally, getting frustrated, and lashing back the best they can. It's easy to pick on the kid that's different, that's frustrated, and that talks weird - but is it satisfying? Sure it's fun to talk smack on a message board; but where's the fun in beating down on an underarmed opponent?

Microbus out

64microbus said:
It's easy to pick on the kid that's different, that's frustrated, and that talks weird - but is it satisfying? Sure it's fun to talk smack on a message board; but where's the fun in beating down on an underarmed opponent?

Microbus out

Fair enough, Microbus. I'll leave 'em be. On a related topic, I've met my fair share of ESL pharmacists here in Vegas, many of them competent and very good pharmacists. When they have patients to counsel, they try their best to communicate in an effective manner, in the best way they can. I've also met my fair share of poorly communicating pharmacists who purposely minimize their contact with patients. They don't counsel effectively at all, and have the techs do much of the other talking. They hide behind the counter filling and do little else. If pharmacy in community practice was simply about dispensing medication, I would have no problem with it, but it isn't. They do a disservice to the public because they have expertise that they are unable/unwilling to share with patients, expertise that can minimize harm to patients, and save lives. I have no problems with ESL pharmacists, as long as they are the former, not the latter. Let's hope that some of our "less coherent" posters will choose to become the former.

I realize you are trying to be a peacemaker, microbus. But, I am kind of bewildered by your position. How do you figure that English as a second language or cultural differences play in? It seems like a random excuse for poor intrapersonal relations.

I also don't think it's fair to infer that people with English as a second language are more likely to misunderstand, get mad, and lash out. It is actually kind of a degrading way of thinking about people.

To everyone who hates me,
Wow, wow,...you guys seem hate me as you guys don't like Hawaii College of Pharmacy huh? However, I am still :laugh: :laugh: I just wonder why why why...and laugh...

To bananaface,
"As BlueSkyCA appears to be acting up for the attention, I would suggest that we simply do not respond to incoherent posts.

If you have a point to make BlueSkyCA, we look forward to hearing it. There is no benefit to making a point if you are the only one who knows what you mean. If you become a pharmacist this is something you will need to keep in mind on a regular basis. Why not take this as an opportunity to practice your communication skills instead of just annoying everybody?"(from bananaface)

Wow..wow... do you pay attention to me, and am I be known to everyone? :laugh: :laugh: Finally, I get what I want to. I think there is someone who understand what I said. Sometimes, I like talk a little, but someone have to think much to understand what I want to express. That's it, and it is my way to give it back to people's act. I express my views with humor indirectly. Thanks for your concern, and you also must help people who actually seem unqualified to become a good pharmacist. I am practicing and improving my skills now, not communication skills but self-defence by humor :laugh: . If I lack communication skills, people don't need to get mad. So, am I clear now? :D

All right, how about everyone quit this bickering back and forth? If this thread doesn't get back on topic and continues to degenerate I will be forced to close it.

I apologize, Brill...I'm just acting like an a*s ;). This thread serves a useful purpose: for the exchange of pertinent information regarding the HICP program. HICP will succeed/fail without the need of our collective punditry. As for the incoherent poster(s), hopefully they now know that they will have some work to do to become better communicators.

64microbus said:
I'm sure Bluesky, Lizard, et al. are intelligent people that can comprehend the hell out of an ochem book; they're most likely very pleasant people also.

Just to make a point... If you go back through the thread, you'll see that the first Lizard was banned from the forum for being a troll and the "other" Lizard is on probationary status. Unless certain posts begin showing improvement, I have no choice but to think that perhaps this is yet another, if not the same, Lizard.

Hi Brill,
I am sorry about that, Brill. Actually, I don't want to go so far like that, but some persons don't want to stop. Can you see that?

:laugh: LVPharm, I said that you don't need to get mad if you can not understand what I want to express :laugh: :laugh:

"As for the incoherent poster(s), hopefully they now know that they will have some work to do to become better communicators." (from LVPharm).
"Thanks for your concern, and you also must help people who actually seem unqualified to become a good pharmacist. I am practicing and improving my skills now, not communication skills but self-defence by humor :laugh: " (from BlueSkyCA)

:laugh: FutureRxGal, I don't think I will be banned because of sele-defence by humor :laugh:

Now, I learn that you guys also have sad, angry, and unhappy feeling like others.
I don't want to talk more. Stop now, ok?

bananaface said:
I realize you are trying to be a peacemaker, microbus. But, I am kind of bewildered by your position. How do you figure that English as a second language or cultural differences play in? It seems like a random excuse for poor intrapersonal relations.

I also don't think it's fair to infer that people with English as a second language are more likely to misunderstand, get mad, and lash out. It is actually kind of a degrading way of thinking about people.

To me it's obvious that this person(s) is perceiving disrespect, when most of the time none was intended. Why? I'm not sure and I'm no expert but I'm guessing that in their culture it's considered disrespectful to be so direct in opposing their views. And when you do oppose their views, it might be considered good etiquette to acknowledge that their views have some merit rather than merely going for the "win." It's sort of like 17th century letter writing in England. When Newton was writing to somebody he loathed, he would tell them how wonderful they were, then go on to tell them how wrong they were. With more socialization in our country this person will understand how we communicate and not take it so personally when others oppose their views.

I'm not saying all second-language learners would misunderstand, get frustrated, and lash out; I'm saying this one is. Sure, this person(s) has less-developed interpersonal skills, but what are we going to do about it? Make fun of them?

Microbus out

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

-Albert Einstein

"If the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch." -M

Microbus, what I am getting at is that you assumed that a group of people are not native English speakers. But, for all we know English could be their first language. Having/using poor communication skills does not mean one has English as their second language. I realize you are trying to be kind. And, I don't want to put you down for that at all. I just don't see how you made the inference that you did.

I worked with a Nigerian pharmacist during my internship. He has been in America only 3 years and his written English is immpeccable. The same is true of the ESL students in my class.

This writing actually sounds more like a computer translation to English. For fun, a friend of mine would type a paragraph then run it through a language translator to a foreign language and then run it back through to English. We were rolling on the floor laughing at the translations because they were so incoherent.

If a person actually writes this poorly, they need to drastically improve their grammar to stand a chance of getting into pharmacy school. Written essays and personal statements are required for a reason. Pharmacy requires great communication skills.

Since when do langauage translation programs yield the word "suck"? ;) There are moments of clear writing. I am certain that all said in the case you are referring to is fully intentional. It sounds as if there was a truce called anyway, so it may be a moot issue.

I have a general theory that some of the distractions are put on to close this thread. Not responding to provocation is the best way to keep the thread from degenerating. Perhaps we should change the subject back to HICP and just proceed for the benefit of all who have questions about the school.

bananaface said:
Microbus, what I am getting at is that you assumed that a group of people are not native English speakers. But, for all we know English could be their first language. Having/using poor communication skills does not mean one has English as their second language. I realize you are trying to be kind. And, I don't want to put you down for that at all. I just don't see how you made the inference that you did.

Seven years of teaching public school in California.

Either (s)he is a second-language learner, or the writer is a native English speaker that went through elementary, middle, high school , and at least some college here in America, and is trying to pursue a career in pharmacy - yet has only developed their grammar skills to a 4th? grade level. I'm thinking the former is more likely.

I agree with you that the thread should return to focusing on HICP. The school itself provides plenty of fodder for us to feed on without going off on these tangents.

Microbus out

Edit: This was my 100th post whoooooooohooooooooooooo!!!!! :p

64microbus said:
Seven years of teaching public school in California.

Either (s)he is a second-language learner, or the writer is a native English speaker that went through elementary, middle, high school , and at least some college here in America, and is trying to pursue a career in pharmacy - yet has only developed their grammar skills to a 4th? grade level. I'm thinking the former is more likely.

I agree with you that the thread should return to focusing on HICP. The school itself provides plenty of fodder for us to feed on without going off on these tangents.

Microbus out

Edit: This was my 100th post whoooooooohooooooooooooo!!!!! :p

Microbus,

For some reason unbeknownst to us, English is a touchy subject here. I tried to address the issue and....

Check it out: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=141781

FutureRxGal said:
I thought we were all agreeing to return this post back to the original topic? :thumbdown:

By the way, congratulations, Microbus, on your 100th post. :)

Oh hell no! I know you didn't just :thumbdown: me. :eek:

Just kidding. :) But isn't the topic pretty dead by now?

JD_USD said:
Oh hell know! I know you didn't just :thumbdown: me. :eek:

Just kidding. :) But isn't the topic pretty dead by now?

Oh hell no, you didn't just misspell something again!!

I couldn't help it........this was TOO tempting!

AmandaRxs said:
Oh hell no, you didn't just misspell something again!!

I couldn't help it........this was TOO tempting!

Touch? AmandaRxs. :D

Can I nominate this thread to be the longest thread ever at SDN? :) Is there any other one that's longer?

Has anyone, who is attending HICP, moved to Hawaii yet? How is it? How's campus, prices, transportation, etc? :)

Hi everyone,
I just sent my application to Hawaii 2 weeks ago and I just there still processing it. Does anyone know how long does it take for the school to reply back and how are the acceptance rate now. Thanks :)

In early March I was accepted to HICP and I payed my $1000 deposist, thinking I was going to attend in the fall. Luckily, a few weeks later I was accepted into UOP. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on getting my 1000 dollar deposist back. I recently just got back from Europe and my credit card debt is at around $1000. I already tried calling the school and whoever answered the phone bascially said the deposist is non-refundable. But didnt their website also state they were in pre-candidtate status way back when the site first appeared? So werent they technically lying to the applicants? Also what other evidence can I bring up to some how try to get my deposist back? Sorry this post has been too long and i dont really feel like skmming the over 300 something posts.

StephenChan UCI said:
But didnt their website also state they were in pre-candidtate status way back when the site first appeared? So werent they technically lying to the applicants? Also what other evidence can I bring up to some how try to get my deposist back? Sorry this post has been too long and i dont really feel like skmming the over 300 something posts.

its website still states it has turned in its application to be reviewed at the ACPE June 2004 meeting which is a lie:

http://www.islandpharmacy.org/accreditation/

The website also states "Currently, the College works with a variety of private lenders to arrange loans for qualified students....In addition to working with students to obtain private student loans, the College also awards a variety of scholarships to qualified students based on merit and financial need" which is BS.

http://www.islandpharmacy.org/admission/finaid.asp

I would call them and tell them if they do not return your deposit, you will file a formal complaint to the ACPE about their deceptions and you will file a law suit in small claims court against the university.

StephenChan UCI said:
In early March I was accepted to HICP and I payed my $1000 deposist, thinking I was going to attend in the fall. Luckily, a few weeks later I was accepted into UOP. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on getting my 1000 dollar deposist back.
Whether you get the deposit back depends on a few things:

1) Did they state the deposit was non-refundable?
2) Did you know they were non-accredited when you sent in the deposit?
3) Would you still be going to HICP if you had not been invoted to UOP?

If you answer "yes" to any of these, you may have a difficult time getting the deposit back.

StephenChan UCI

If you refer to www.hicp.org under fees and tuition you'll find that it states

Deposit Fee
Students granted admission into the College receive a written formal offer from the Assistant Dean of Admissions and Student Affairs. Students offered admission have ten (10) working days to notify the College, in writing, whether they wish to have a place reserved in the class. Additionally, the student's written acceptance of the College's offer must be accompanied by a check or money order for $1000, payable to the Hawai?i College of Pharmacy?, to reserve a seat in the class. This money to reserve your seat is non-refundable, but is applicable towards your first year?s tuition.

The last line says the deposit is non-refundable. I know every person who was interviewed and accepted was told about the accreditation status and there was written notification of this. HICP has also updated their website about their accreditation application. I hope this information can help your situation. You?re always welcomed to ask more questions or post if you have further concerns. Good Luck at UOP and I wish you much success.

BMBiology said:
its website still states it has turned in its application to be reviewed at the ACPE June 2004 meeting which is a lie:

http://www.islandpharmacy.org/accreditation/

The website also states "Currently, the College works with a variety of private lenders to arrange loans for qualified students....In addition to working with students to obtain private student loans, the College also awards a variety of scholarships to qualified students based on merit and financial need" which is BS.

http://www.islandpharmacy.org/admission/finaid.asp

I would call them and tell them if they do not return your deposit, you will file a formal complaint to the ACPE about their deceptions and you will file a law suit in small claims court against the university.

To follow up on this,

About the accreditation they have updated their application on their website.

Concerning financial aid, they did have lenders at one point but because of the current accreditation status they are unable to help in this aspect of school. If and well the school gets candidate status, student will have more financial options at that time. HICP is doing what they can to help students.

Thanks for your valid concerns.