MD & DO Help. Can I still become a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreamislandcaptive

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, I will be going back to community college in the fall to be restart my journey. The issue I am having is that I failed a few classed due to personal issues. I was suffering from depression and I didn't know. I recently received medication for it and I am ready to face the world. I failed(Sociology, psychology and public speaking). Also I had a health science focus high school curriculum and was able to shadow a primary care doctor for a month. I am currently working on my CNA currently and I am hoping to start volunteering in a month.

1)Best places to volunteer?

2)How to go about research opportunities in Community college?

3)A good timeline?

4)Best schools for oos residents? I live in FL.(I have a projected GPA of cGPA: 3.7-3.9 ; sGPA :3.5-3.7

P.S. I've worked over 500 hours as a caregiver
You can become a DO with grade replacement

Hello, I will be going back to community college in the fall to be restart my journey. The issue I am having is that I failed a few classed due to personal issues. I was suffering from depression and I didn't know. I recently received medication for it and I am ready to face the world. I failed(Sociology, psychology and public speaking). Also I had a health science focus high school curriculum and was able to shadow a primary care doctor for a month. I am currently working on my CNA currently and I am hoping to start volunteering in a month.

3)A good timeline?

4)Best schools for oos residents? I live in FL.(I have a projected GPA of cGPA: 3.7-3.9 ; sGPA :3.5-3.7

Yeah you totally can, you just have to work hard, plan accordingly, and apply selectively

1. Teaching hospital/clinical that will let you see interactions between healthcare professionals and interact with patients
2. Find a bunch of labs you like and cold email them. One will stick
3. Don't apply until your GPA is above or at a 3.5 cum/sci. A 3.7 will be better
4. Ahh can't help you here dude.

Good luck man. Study for your mcat

3)A good timeline?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I'm reading this correctly you seem to be many years away from applying. How many credits do you currently have? What is your current GPA? Who did you provide care to as a caregiver? Was it a job? You need a wide range of ECs-clinical and non clinical. I've never heard of much research in CCs but you'll have to check this out yourself. If you will eventually transfer to a 4year college/university you can probably wait on the research and actually many schools don't require it. Nobody but you can set a timeline for you. Especially since we have no idea how far along you are on your comeback trail. Don't worry about a list of schools until you know when you will be applying. It's really not important now.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Yes, it's still quite possible. Be just be aware that med school is a meat grinder, and I've seen it break even healthy students. Go into this eyes open.

I have a soft spot for people who work in hospice or nursing homes.

You won't find them in CC; you have to find them at nearby 4 year schools or research centers.

That's on you. Apply when you have the best app.
3)A good timeline?

All DO schools and the low-tier private MD schools, plus VCU and EVMS