Help deciding on Experience Options. How Important is Lab Animal Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maineroot

C/O 2021 (Accepted!)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am going into my final year of undergrad and I am applying to veterinary school this Summer. I have been offered two employment positions on campus for next year and am having trouble deciding on which to take because I originally thought I would have enough time during the week to do both and am now realizing I won't be able to. I will preface this by saying that I currently do not have any lab animal experience, but I have over 1000 hours of wildlife and exotic veterinary experience (300 of which is spent being a veterinary technician) and 300 hours of aquatic zoological medicine veterinary experience, 300 hours of veterinary research experience under a veterinarian, and 300 hours of large animal veterinary experience. I have a large about of zoological and large animal non-veterinary experience as well. I am trying to decide if not taking the lab animal experience position I will detail below is going to drastically affect my chances of getting into vet school.

The first position is a 10 hour per week position in the small animal research facility on campus taking care of laboratory mice. I will be breeding them, sacrificing them, managing their cages, performing simple data analysis as directed by my boss. I will not personally be conducting research, but I will be assisting with the husbandry involved with the research being done on them. It is a nice opportunity and will be a great learning experience, but I would prefer to take the next job offer instead of this one. This is NOT going to count as veterinary experience, but will count as animal experience.

The second position is a 15 hour per week position as an aide for LGBT Services on campus. I will be working in the office doing secretarial work and organizing events on campus and outreach programs for students that identify with this community. I will be facilitating discussions and events and booking speakers and performers to come throughout the year. I will also act as a resource to students who need someone to talk to about LGBT matters by offering them someone to listen to or other resources on campus that can help them. I feel like this is such a great opportunity for myself and is something I have wanted to do throughout my time at college but have not had time to do because of my want to gain veterinary experience throughout college.

I guess the advice I am looking for is to tell me whether or not turning down the lab animal husbandry job will be a terrible decision that will negatively affect my admission chances. I feel as though I will gain a lot from the LGBT services position and veterinary schools will like that I offered time in this way for my community. I am sad that I can't do both jobs, but I have already tried to figure out scheduling and it just won't work.

What should I do? I am a male, and applying to Wisconsin, Tufts, Cornell, Ohio, Florida, and Glasgow if that makes any difference.

Members don't see this ad.

You're applying this cycle (this summer) and your job wouldn't start until the fall, right? Then it won't matter, unless you apply again next year. Schools won't even know about the job you take unless you have hours in it before you submit your application.

Couple hundred lab animal husbandry hours isn't going to make or break your application. You have a good amount of diverse vet and animal experience already, I'd go with the job that you're passionate about. Vet med isn't everything.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At the end of the day, you're a person and you have to do things that make you excited and that you want to do. Just from reading your post we can all tell which job you'd like to take, and it's better for you in the long run to do it. I honestly think it would be a bit weird for any veterinary school to prioritize you adding a few hundred more animal/veterinary hours onto your already hefty number of hours over spending some time working with people in a meaningful way. Work/life balance is a thing, and most people don't do well having their life be all vet med all the time anyway.

It's okay to hold jobs and things that aren't related to animals at all! I worked a lot of people-oriented jobs in college and I had a few adcoms bring it up to me as a strong point of my application. I think it would only be an issue for you to take the LGBT job if you had very very little animal/veterinary experience, which isn't an issue here.

The Wisconsin supplemental application actually opens after VMCAS has been submitted and they ask what you have done after submission, so no matter which job you take, it's going to count for at least one of your schools.

Personal development is important, it's not something that should fall by the wayside just because you are trying to get into veterinary school. It sounds like you will find the LGBT job fulfilling, go for it, it might end up providing some great experiences you can talk about in your interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
I mostly agree with everything everyone has said above. My only other advice would be to take the laboratory animal job if you think you want to specialize in lab animal medicine after veterinary school. If you don't want to do lab animal or haven't considered it, go ahead with the job you want - it sounds like you have enough animal experience.

Reactions: 1 user
The Wisconsin supplemental application actually opens after VMCAS has been submitted and they ask what you have done after submission, so no matter which job you take, it's going to count for at least one of your schools.

Personal development is important, it's not something that should fall by the wayside just because you are trying to get into veterinary school. It sounds like you will find the LGBT job fulfilling, go for it, it might end up providing some great experiences you can talk about in your interviews.

That's really cool! I didn't know any schools did that.

While I am a lab animal lover at heart, I think the second job would be good for many reasons. It's clearly something you're interested in and it would show you aren't simply laser-beamed on vet med at all times. It would also be a great thing to discuss at interviews that would set you apart from all of the other applicants with more typical experiences.

Reactions: 4 users
I agree with everyone else- it probably wont make a difference for this cycles application and it is good to have interests outside of vet med. That said, lab animal experience can be really helpful for finding a job at a university if you plan to work.

While I am a lab animal lover at heart, I think the second job would be good for many reasons. It's clearly something you're interested in and it would show you aren't simply laser-beamed on vet med at all times. It would also be a great thing to discuss at interviews that would set you apart from all of the other applicants with more typical experiences.

I pretty much just 'ditto' everything TRH says, so...... that's what I'd lean toward, too. You already have 'enough' (as if that's ever really the case, right?) veterinary experience. I think adding something that is culturally relevant and shows some element of public interest and service outside of vet med will make you a much more interesting candidate than more lab animal work.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I decided to not do the lab animal experience position and take on the LGBT services position :).

Reactions: 1 user