HELP: Getting a loan before scholarship kicks in.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shadownght12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From my understanding, the Army bonus is not disbursed for a few weeks after the first day of Dental School. I was really hoping to use that money to get my apartment situated in Chicago at least a few weeks before then....would I be able to get a bank loan to cover those costs and pay it back when the scholarship kicks in (I'm estimating about 5K to get furniture, first months rent, bills, etc.)? How would I go about that? Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously though, carry your credit card bill for two months until your bonus comes in then just pay off your credit card bill right away. Avoid any loan fees with minimal interest paid on the credit card. Not generally a good idea for everyday living but fits your situation.

I got my first credit card last year, but my credit line is only 1K.

If you can't get a higher credit limit then don't buy as much stuff. If it'll only be for a month or two you could get by with the bare essentials. You don't really need ALL of your furniture immediately when you move in.

If you can't get a higher credit limit then don't buy as much stuff. If it'll only be for a month or two you could get by with the bare essentials. You don't really need ALL of your furniture immediately when you move in.

No offense but HOW THE HECK would he even afford 2 months of rent with 1k?? You cannot "get by" with that little in Chicago! I would recommend getting a loan through the school. That's what I'll be doing while I wait for my US Navy Scholarship bonus to come in. Best of luck!! =)

No offense but HOW THE HECK would he even afford 2 months of rent with 1k?? You cannot "get by" with that little in Chicago! I would recommend getting a loan through the school. That's what I'll be doing while I wait for my US Navy Scholarship bonus to come in. Best of luck!! =)

I was thinking about doing the same, do you know when loans through school are disbursed??
Thanks.

I couldn't tell you how much rent is in Chicago nor do I care to know, I was speaking strictly on other non-essential things. All I was saying is don't spend more than you have to before getting your money. The less you borrow the better. I'm also assuming he has more money to his name than a single one thousand dollar credit card. He doesn't have to deck out his apartment for the first month he's living there. Just get a mattress and few other essentials so he doesn't have to take out more loans than necessary.

Just get a mattress and few other essentials so he doesn't have to take out more loans than necessary.

A mattress?! What is he, a celebrity? Just sleep on the floor like a real man. Use that mattress money to buy ammunition so you can hunt for your food.

Ammunition is expensive. Lay snares to catch wabbits.

When I was in school there was a HEAL loan, I think that's what it was called. It was $10,000 and I applied through my school. You can use it for whatever you want. I also lived a lot off my credit card, and was a frequent customer of Goodwill and craigslist for furniture. But hey, that's the life of a student.