• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
Jul 28, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi, I just recently graduated from my high school and started considering the medical career.
I went to a professional conservatory and have NEVER taken any biology and chemistry classes. I will be studying at Wesleyan University this fall. I was wondering how hard it would be for me to study the pre-med courses and whether it would be possible for me to get into medical school.

I know it would very challenging. But how challenging it would be?

Last edited:

TheaterOfTheme

7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi, I just recently graduated from my high school and started considering the medical career.
I went to a professional conservatory and have NEVER taken any biology and chemistry classes. I will be studying at Wesleyan University this fall. I was wondering how hard it would be for me to study the pre-med courses and whether it would be possible for me to get into medical school.

I know it would very challenging. But how challenging it would be?

Your exposure in high school doesn't really matter for college academics. I never took chemistry and got C's and D's in biology in high school because I was irresponsible. I am now graduating Summa Cum Laude in biochemistry and did well on the MCAT. It is really just dependent on your efforts and abilities (mostly effort).

I actually believe you have an upper hand being a musician. There are dozens of academic articles demonstrating that musicianship has a great positive effect on intelligence, learning, and ability in the sciences. Music served me very well in that I learned a tremendous amount of discipline which I applied to studying.

Reactions: 1 user

TheaterOfTheme

7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Also, welcome to SDN! You may want to choose an anonymous profile picture on here.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
Jul 28, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Your exposure in high school doesn't really matter for college academics. I never took chemistry and got C's and D's in biology in high school because I was irresponsible. I am now graduating Summa Cum Laude in biochemistry and did well on the MCAT. It is really just dependent on your efforts and abilities (mostly effort).

I actually believe you have an upper hand being a musician. There are dozens of academic articles demonstrating that musicianship has a great positive effect on intelligence, learning, and ability in the sciences. Music served me very well in that I learned a tremendous amount of discipline which I applied to studying.

Thank you so much for your reply!! Your experience is very encouraging!!!!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.