help! low gpa (2.4) do I have a chance OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
* Don't know how to post a question here, as i am fairly new to this site. I need opinions and responses as to whether i am deemed as a competitive applicant to an occupational therapy program( preferably at my university, Kean).

Current undergrad GPA( accumulative):3.426 (aiming for at least 3.5)

Current prerequisite GPA: 3.5

Settings observed: Rehab center( 60hrs), hand therapy clinic( 24hrs), hospital setting( 4hrs), low vision clinic (4hrs), home care (6hrs), Psychiatric Rehab center (20hrs). Total: 118 hours of observation/volunteering, with 6 different settings. I also intend to observe at a school setting( pediatrics) over break, so a possible 7 settings.

Extracurricular activities: Director of Public Relations of Asian Culture Club( 2009-2010), member of Association of Latin American Students(2009-2010), member of Student Organization Public Advertising Committee( 2010-2011), member of Filipinos Uniting Nation at Kean( 2011-present), and member/Public Relations committee member of Students of Occupational Therapy Association( 2010-present).

Awards: Dean's list ( spring '10), Dean's list( fall '10), Dean's list (spring '11)

*P.S.: I had already applied to the dual degree occupational therapy program last year, and managed to make it to the interviews. However, ultimately i was not admitted. The difference in my application this year is I added an additional 26 hours accumulated from another hand therapy clinic (4hrs), same home care setting( 2hrs), and a new setting: psychiatric rehabilitation center( 20hrs). These observations were a required assignment for my intro to occupational therapy class, which was an added prerequisite this year. My only fear is that there is a strong possibility that I may receive a B or B+ for my intro to occupational therapy class( my teacher is a hard grader). Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I currently have a 2.14 GPA at my university and I am currently taking courses at a local community college. My finanical aid was not approved for the 2011-2012 school year at my four year university so I decided to take classes at a local community college. I am doing well now and I really enjoy my classes. last spring semester I earned straight B's (even in ochem 1 !!!!) and I am currently taking the second part of ochem and Human A&P part 2 over the summer. I was wondering with my low GPA would that greatly affect my chances of getting into a OT school? I would like to do a post-bacc program after graduating and then apply to a OT or PT school.
Would getting into a post-bacc (after raising my undergrad GPA) greatly enhance my chances of getting into a OT or PT school? Thank you for your advice!! :)

Yes, gpa does matter for OT and PT school. Your chances are lowered because of your 2.14 gpa. That being said, however, there are still other things to keep in mind. Some programs only look into the last 60 or so units. Try calculating your gpa for your last set of units. Maybe this is a possibility for you.

Also, you may want to take the GRE and study a lot so that you do VERY well. Some schools are more forgiving to a lower gpa if there is a strong gre score.

A post bac program might help (as long as you do well), but will add semesters to the time before you apply to grad school. Ot grad school applicants are becoming stronger with each passing year. By the time you are ready, it may be extremely competitive.

There is also the OTA to OT route if other plans do not work out. Either way, good luck! If this is really what you want to do, you will make it happen. It is not unheard of for some applicants to try several years. You may want to apply to a few schools and ask for feedback on how to improve your app for the following cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not going to sugar coat it!

I can't say from your undergrad experience that you are cut out for OT if you want it as bad as you say your gpa would reflect that, reality check. The ones with the 3.0 and above gpa, good gre scores, and other requirements worked hard in undergrad to get into OT school and they deserve it. You didn't really want it that bad and OT schools can see that! I do believe we are all given a chance in undergrad to do well and the assistance is there if you seek it. The good news there might be other things you are good at that are not as hard to get into that still involve helping others with disabilities..such as special education!

Have you considered a career as a teacher with a bachelors degree you can do a teacher alternative program in special education such as this program, there are many others that offer accelerated programs for those with a bachelors: http://www.texasteachers.org/

You would get good tuition assistance as a special education teacher.

If you are struggling in those undergrad courses what makes you think you can pass graduate courses? Only other thing to do is to go back and fix your gpa, gre, and other requirements and work hard at it. This will cost you more money!

Last edited:
Well I didn't go out and have a party I was working while going to school in my first year of college and my job was stressful at the time. I was working as a cook at a restaurant that was located on the opposite side of the town my school is located. I had to drive to school and then as soon as classes were over I had to head to work and work until 10:00-11:00 p.m. and then wake up and go to commute to school. I have no monetary help from my parents so I have to work in order to buy the things I need. I didn't have a party I was just stressed out. I was starting my first year in college and on top of that working at a very demanding job. Also, I am still in my Junior year at the university. My last semester there I had a 3.2 spring GPA. So I was working on bringing my grades up. My school also has an Adjusted Resident Credit were you stay out for a year, come back to the university and start with a 3.3 GPA.

I'm not going to sugar coat it!

I can't say from your undergrad experience that you are cut out for OT if you want it as bad as you say your gpa would reflect that, reality check. The ones with the 3.0 and above gpa, good gre scores, and other requirements worked hard in undergrad to get into OT school and they deserve it. You didn't really want it that bad and OT schools can see that! It sounds like you were the party type? needed a tutor? I do believe we are all given a chance in undergrad to do well and the assistance is there if you seek it. The good news there might be other things you are good at that are not as hard to get into that still involve helping others..such as special education!

Have you considered a career as a teacher with a bachelors degree you can do a teacher alternative program in special education such as this program, there are many others that offer accelerated programs for those with a bachelors: http://www.texasteachers.org/

You would get good tuition assistance as a special education teacher.

Not everyone is cut out to be an OT, just as not everyone is cut out to be a doctor, pharmacist, teacher, engineer, nurse etc..

You can't play application games all your life applying year after year...retirement savings, tuition payback, mortgage etc...should be worked on at some point. It's part of growing up and finding what works for your own talents. If I didn't get in my MOT after some time than it's not meant to be time to find other routes of income, at the end of the day you got to pay your bills.

If you are struggling in those undergrad courses what makes you think you can pass graduate courses? Only other thing to do is to go back and fix your gpa, gre, and other requirements and work hard at it like the rest of us. This will cost you more money!

Wow, I'm shocked. How could you possibly even ASSUME such negative notions based what little info futuredoc1215 supplied. Are you going to be this judgemental toward your patients? Wow.

Negative notions lol..the post is about a low gpa.. the gpa is what is negative! Who said it was futuredoc1215, the first post was regarding a low gpa. How is this assuming they clearly wrote they got gpa's like 1.4, 2.1 etc.. I was making the post in regards to simply being able to get into OT school. I am not a judgemental person the facts are the person has a very low gpa. I said party type because it might look that way. The OT schools are the judge!

OT schools aren't going to ask you WHY is your gpa low or care for reasons or excuses. It just has to be good or to bad. I think sometimes people sugar coat things and make it look like rainbows and sunshine. What's wrong with honesty? It doesnt mean the person won't EVER get into an OT school they can with hard work, it means a 1.4, 2.1 etc.. is not in favor. WOW to the fact I can be honest based on the facts given and help my patients with realistic goals.

Sorry..I'm hardball..you can have a list of reasons or excuses why your gpa is low...but I could give you a list of mine..my mom, a single mother had ovarian cancer through my undergrad passed away. I worked 2 jobs, paid my own school used tuition assistance for my bachelors and this MOT, I was stressed, and still got a good gpa and will start my MOT this fall and I just turned 23...you know what can I say.

My parents taught me when you really want something you will do it.. a low gpa (2.1 etc..) doesn't show that to a OT school.
This person will just need to work harder at it to meet requirements and get a high gre score.

That's why some of us are OT's others Doctors others Teachers etc...that is what makes us each unique..not everyone is cut out for certain careers.
I could never be a doctor, I'd look silly trying to get into a MD school. If I went to that section of the forum they would tell me get a reality check.

I wish everyone the best of luck in acceptance into a OT school! :)

Last edited:
Alright, let me clarify. You are right, the facts are that their gpa is low. From those small facts you insinuate they are a "party type". That is a judgement. Then you take it a step further and even suggest they explore a different career! Assuming they should apply to something"not as hard to get into". A judgement that you feel they can't become an OT. All I am saying is that you failed to think that there may be specific reasons other than negative ones that someone's gpa could be low. Being real doesn't mean assuming the worst about people.

Shocking...Oh my gosh...it's just so REAL a post on a forum hehe. Negative notions lol..the post is about a low gpa.. the gpa is what is negative! Who said it was futuredoc1215, the first post was regarding a low gpa. How is this assuming they clearly wrote they got gpa's like 1.4, 2.4 etc.. I was making the post in regards to simply being able to get into OT school. I am not a judgemental person the facts are the person has a very low gpa. I think sometimes people sugar coat things and make it look like rainbows and sunshine. What's wrong with honesty? It doesnt mean the person won't EVER get into an OT school they can with hard work, it means a 1.4, 2.4 etc.. is not in favor. WOW to the fact I can be honest based on the facts given and help my patients with realistic goals.

Sorry..I'm hardball..you can have a list of reasons or excuses why your gpa is low...but I could give you a list of mine..my mom, a single mother had ovarian cancer through my undergrad passed away. I worked 2 jobs, paid my own school used tuition assistance for my bachelors and this MOT, I was stressed, and still got a decent gpa and I just turned 23...you know what can I say.

My parents taught me when you really want something you will do it.. a low gpa (1.4 etc..) doesn't show that to a OT school.

I wish everyone the best of luck in acceptance into a OT school! :)

I'm glad that despite your circumstances you were able to keep your head above water, but some people can not and their GPA will reflect that. We don't need sugar coating we know this program is difficult. The required coursework alone is difficult. People have their reasons and just because someone could not do what you did and still keep a high GPA does not mean they did not have the drive to go to OT/PT/medical/dental/ school. My parents taught me the same things your parents did, but like I said things happen in people's lives that are out of their control. Your post was not helpful whatsoever. Like I said me and the other low GPAs are not looking for sugar coating or for someone to come on here and say: "nope, not possible, look somewhere else, tough ****."
You did not give advice at all. The only thing you said was: well, I'm not going to sugar coat anything, I had my circumstance and well if I can do it and have that happen to me I don't want to hear any excuses, what did you do party?" That's not helpful if anything you came off as condescending. Like I said we don't need you to sugar coat anything. A helpful post would have said: well I had a low GPA as well and it was difficult, but I did XY and Z to get into an OT/PT program or well since I had a low GPA I tried other programs that really held my interest, I went back to school to get a second degree, I did a post-bacc program, so on and so forth. Or someone helpful could have said: Well since you have such a low GPA have you tried to look into another program? or trying to get a second degree in a related field. No, I don't want to be a teacher, and no I don't want to teach special education just for the hell of it. Teaching is not my passion.
My condolences to your mother, but you were not helpful at all. I've been through many other forums on this website and asked the same question (mostly the pre-med forum) and had better responses, that were not sugar coated and very to the point, that were better than yours. If you want to sit up here and chastise a low GPA forum than I guess you can take your "advice" elsewhere.

You just want to hear what YOU want to hear and the truth hurts. It doesnt mean that person won't ever get into a program I was looking at the gpa facts..and okay some people can't get there gpa up regardless of circumstances. I don't think OT schools care? They have requirements it is what it is. I never said I had a low gpa ever, I said I had circumstance just like everyone else does but still got a good gpa. We all have our own circumstances and reasons, but it doesn't change the requirements, I wish it did! I'm sure with hard work you can do it and face all odds. You are taking it way to personal because this is a post about a low gpa at the levels of 1.4, 2.1 etc..I never directed this at you, you didn't even write this thread. My advice was very good work hard on the requirements and you can get into a OT school. I also gave another career option that works with disabilities for the person to consider if things don't work out the way they want. Not all hope is lost to work with disabilities!

Last edited:
You just want to hear what YOU want to hear and the truth hurts. It doesnt mean that person won't ever get into a program I was looking at the gpa facts..and okay some people can't get there gpa up regardless of circumstances. I don't think OT schools care? They have requirements it is what it is. I never said I had a low gpa ever, I said I had circumstance just like everyone else does but still got a good gpa. I'm sure with hard work you can do it and face all odds. You are taking it way to personal because this is a post about a low gpa at the levels of 1.4, 2.1 etc..I never directed this at you, you didn't even write this post. My advice was very good work hard on the requirements and you can get into a OT school. I also gave another career option that works with disability for the person to consider if things don't work out the way they want. Not all hope is lost!

Look, I know you understand what we are saying because you edited your initial negative response.

You just want to hear what YOU want to hear and the truth hurts. It doesnt mean that person won't ever get into a program I was looking at the gpa facts..and okay some people can't get there gpa up regardless of circumstances. I don't think OT schools care? They have requirements it is what it is. I never said I had a low gpa ever, I said I had circumstance just like everyone else does but still got a good gpa. I'm sure with hard work you can do it and face all odds. You are taking it way to personal because this is a post about a low gpa at the levels of 1.4, 2.1 etc..I never directed this at you, you didn't even write this post. My advice was very good work hard on the requirements and you can get into a OT school. I also gave another career option that works with disability for the person to consider if things don't work out the way they want. Not all hope is lost!

Look, I know you understand what we are saying because you edited your initial negative response to a more positive one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you see the first page of this thread? do you see the advice that was given to other people who had low GPAs? now look at your "advice" is it helpful? no. No I do not hear what I want to hear, your advice was not advice, plain and simple. And no I am not making it personal. You came onto a low GPA thread, posted your unhelpful two cents and then want to get mad when people call you out on your judgmental BS. like I said before we know it's difficult getting into these programs, that's the truth. Annnnnnd like I said before your post was judgmental and condescending. "My advice was very good, work hard on the requirements and you can get into a OT school." Ya don't say??? first off you said: "You didn't really want it that bad and OT schools can see that! It sounds like you were the party type? needed a tutor? I do believe we are all given a chance in undergrad to do well and the assistance is there if you seek it."

Do you see the first post of this thread? people are giving advice on what programs to do, talk to counselors, try post-bacc programs, etc, etc. No **** sherlock, do well on the requirements and you should get into OT school. We know that, that is why we are in the low GPA thread because we didn't do well on the requirements while in undergrad and want some advice on how to correct our wrongs. Going into the special education/teaching field is like night and day. That career option you gave was unhelpful as well and does not relate to the field we are trying to get into.
"I don't think OT schools care? They have requirements it is what it is" Ya don't say I didn't know grad schools/medical schools/PT schools/Dental schools had requirements, tell me more about this amazing fact I just found out today!!! It sounds amazing!!!!!!
Like I said, your "advice" was judgmental, condescending, and very very unhelpful. And I know you didn't direct your post at me, but for someone to sit up here and say: "well I'm not going to sugar coat anything," and "well what did you do while in college party?" I'm going to call you out on your BS. because you have people on here with low GPAs (myself included) who don't need your condescending unhelpful BS. What we need are people who are going to say: well it is difficult in your situation, but have you tried a related health field? Have you tried getting into a post-bacc program, have you tried getting a second degree, have you tried talking to your counselors about your situation, here are some links to schools, here are some links to some post-bacc programs, try googling health care related fields, OT schools, PT schools, and see what you come up with. did you say any of that? no. so please like I said we here with low GPAs don't need your condescending, judgmental, unhelpful advice. so kindly step off.

I'm not worried about the advice everybody gave that's not mine the original person also asked what are my chances, I gave that. I'm not EVERYBODY to each their own man this is a open forum, nobody is going to step off. You act like we are suppose to be your counselor and ask you whats wrong and how can we help you and all that jazz. This is a forum and I gave MY own personal advice and two cents and it was honest and upfront.. deal with it. Not saying anymore on this subject cause you clearly want to hear what you want to hear, it's obvious! I also directed this for a 1.4 and 2.1 type gpa which I don't think you said you had!! I wish you the best in getting into an OT program with hard work you can do it and look into smaller colleges that get less applicants could help you too, and if not at least there are other career options to explore that do work with disability! :)

I edited only the party comment since you two took it to extreme..but I'm not going to give you cookies cause EVERYBODY else is in their post... meant and do mean what I say. Again good luck..and if you want to have the last word feel free it doesnt' mean my post didn't answer the original question, what are my chances. Period.

Last edited:
I'm not worried about the advice everybody gave that's not mine. I'm not EVERYBODY to each their own man. I gave MY advice and two cents and it was honest and upfront.. deal with it. Not saying anymore on this subject cause you clearly want to hear what you want to hear, it's obvious! I also directed this for a 1.4 and 2.1 type gpa which I don't think you said you had!! I wish you the best in getting into an OT program with hard work you can do it and look into smaller colleges that get less applicants could help you too, and if not at least there are other career options to explore that do work with disability! :)

Yep.

Team OTCareer!

If you have a 2.1 you're not going to get into ANY graduate program - let alone a medical program. If you want GOOD advice go talk to a college admissions counselorhttps://www.google.com/search?hl=en...w&ved=0CFEQvwUoAQ&q=college+counselor&spell=1, not a bunch of current/future OT students and hopefuls. Thanks for the laughs "futuredoc"!

*falls off short pier*

Thanks for the laughs? Are you laughing at their bad gpa or their unfortunate circumstances? Futuredoc1215 simply asked a question on an open forum. OTCareer assumed the worst and was 'honest'. You should go back and read the posts (the non edited ones). OTCareers response says a lot about what type of person they are.

You must be confused...the post was never about futuredoc1215 this person mentioned having a 3.2 something gpa, it was in regards to the 2.1 person who posted.. I answered the question What's my chances? You came and attacked the post, I than edited it to make YOU feel better and you still went at it let me go shoot myself for the honest reality that a low gpa is negative .. lol I mean give it up it's just goofy already like that's enough.

Last edited:
You must be confused...the post was never about futuredoc1215 this person mentioned having a 3.2 something gpa, it was in regards to the 2.1 person who posted.. I answered the question What's my chances? You came and attacked the post, I than edited it to make YOU feel better and you still went at it let me go shoot myself for the honest reality that a low gpa is negative .. lol I mean give it up it's just goofy already like that's enough.

Perhaps some context may help here:

Take a look at the posts on this thread again. Futuredoc DOES ADMIT to having a 2.1 GPA. (Sorry futuredoc, not trying to rub it in.) Which could explain why futuredoc et al. does not appreciate your responses.

I currently have a 2.14 GPA at my university and I am currently taking courses at a local community college. My finanical aid was not approved for the 2011-2012 school year at my four year university so I decided to take classes at a local community college. I am doing well now and I really enjoy my classes. last spring semester I earned straight B's...

Pretty sure he/she said they have a 2.1 -

The hilarious squabbling made me laugh, hence the "thanks for the laughs" comment.

I didn't attack any post, I stated my opinion (I actually agree with you, OTCareer). My opinion is that you will not get into any grad program with a 2.1.

As to why I commented, s/he asked what her chances were, I gave my answer. If you can't take a little criticism, constructive or otherwise, then don't put yourself out there for it!

I think it's sad that some people thing that just because we didn't get it right or completely had it together at 19-20-21 in undergrad that we don't deserve a bright future, or we're lazy, or just not cut out for OT. Get off your high horse. I didn't even know what OT was until I graduated college! It's easier to do well when you're laser focused on a set goal and know what you want in life. And sorry I don't have a big enough sob story to make me deserving of this career???

Anyways...

OP I can understand where you're coming from. My undergrad is not impressive due to various reasons and just not knowing what I wanted in life. I would definitely suggest acing your last 60 units for the schools who pay attention to that portion of your academic career.

All the person can do is work at the requirements.

Last edited:
Perhaps some context may help here:

Take a look at the posts on this thread again. Futuredoc DOES ADMIT to having a 2.1 GPA. (Sorry futuredoc, not trying to rub it in.) Which could explain why futuredoc et al. does not appreciate your responses.

Futurdoc mentioned a 3.2 right here this person had decided to improve and work on it they do not have a 1.9 1.8 2.1 or 2.4 type of gpa my original post was in regards to someone who is at current has a low gpa and asking what are my chances on this low gpa which was made for the first OP. Again let me say Futuredoc and Liztor replied..but it was for the first OP who at current has a low gpa and wants to know the chances on THAT PARTICULAR GPA. You want to steal the thread and the post was for the OP.

Well I didn't go out and have a party I was working while going to school in my first year of college and my job was stressful at the time. I was working as a cook at a restaurant that was located on the opposite side of the town my school is located. I had to drive to school and then as soon as classes were over I had to head to work and work until 10:00-11:00 p.m. and then wake up and go to commute to school. I have no monetary help from my parents so I have to work in order to buy the things I need. I didn't have a party I was just stressed out. I was starting my first year in college and on top of that working at a very demanding job. Also, I am still in my Junior year at the university. My last semester there I had a 3.2 spring GPA. So I was working on bringing my grades up. My school also has an Adjusted Resident Credit were you stay out for a year, come back to the university and start with a 3.3 GPA.

Let me break it down for you: I gave a response I said look let me be real with you here.. it's not in good favor it doesn't look like you wanted it that bad you have to work at it, you can face all odds I did it (not a sob story was saying that if I can do it you can do it), I mentioned another career option not in a rude way in a way to say look there are other careers out there too just in case. Why re-mention what everybody already said..oh well why don't you try occupational therapy assistant, I gave another option instead of being a repeat to open up there career options. I said if you cant pass undergrad its going to be awful hard to pass grad school or even get into grad school. I said its not a good idea to apply year after year after year if you keep being rejected on that gpa at some point you need to pay your bills and make a career the only way is to find your talents in something else you love or work on the OT requirements. I questioned the OP like a party type? need a tutor? to see what was going on. I also said it doesnt matter about your circumstances or reasons to a OT school so you have to work at what you want to achieve. If your offended by the facts well you will be even more with a rejection letter. I'm not out to get anybody my post was just upfront with that person, they can call the admission offices and might get the same type of reality. If they work at it like I've said over n over n over n over n over n over n over they can do it. I believe that anybody can reach any dream or goal if they work at it.

It doesn't matter what I say you say or anybody says on this forum, what matters is that you apply and see what the OT schools do they are the judge. You need to read the question....Does anyone know any OT school that has low (<2.4, doubt any exist!) gpa requirement or one that looks at last 60 or 90 units? Do you think I even have a chance with OT schools? Or even any graduate school? What should I do, be a bum forever? If you read the question they are asking about that particular gpa they are not saying I'm going to get a 3.0 later they want to know about the current situation they want to know what are the chances NOW and what can I do NOW.

I gave them an answer for that gpa the chances are possible rejection for a 1.9 , 1.7, or 2.4 or that type of low gpa. They also said they were slaughtered in science courses a lot of OT is science look at the facts. I answered the question in my own way the OP was saying they want to be an OT really bad it's all they every wanted, and I said it won't look like you wanted it that bad even though they feel they do or maybe your not cut out for it like you think maybe there is another path for you but on that gpa it's going to be hard for a OT school to believe that if not you have options on that gpa don't worry you can work with disabilities maybe special education teacher the OP was worried about being a bum I gave them a possible career path or to work on your gpa and gre scores, and other requirements.

You never know OP might enjoy being a special education teacher if you read the OP they said they enjoy special needs the OP works with developmental needs and autism wants to work with pediatrics or kids you see that and work with kids as a special education teacher, what's wrong with this possible career path if your having a lot of trouble with the OT requirements both fields are about making a difference and helping those with special needs. The OP also said ANY graduate school that means they are open to other career options! If this OP cant get into any grad school the advice was helpful they have opportunities to do an accelerated teacher program on the bachelors they have and make a living in something they just might enjoy.

Last edited:
Since your GPA is on the low side, make sure you really buckle down and pull good grades for the remainder of the prereqs and other classes to help your GPA. Honestly, I don't even think straight B's will be good enough. To be on the safe side, shoot for a 3.5 minimum GPA to boost your overall GPA. Also, make sure you do SUPER well on the prereq courses because I personally feel the prereq GPA is more important than your cumulative. Look for schools that look at last 60 or 90 credits or schools that may have lower minimum requirements. To be honest, you will have to apply to a lot of programs to increase your chances. Also, those programs have to be all over, not just centered around wherever you are from.

Go here to see program profiles and average GPA admittance that are partnered with OTCAS.

https://portal.otcas.org/applicants2012/instruction/otcas_designations.htm

Use this to sift through programs that you may have a chance in. For the most part, big name schools like D1 schools will be VERY VERY hard to get into because they have hundreds of competitive applicants each year. Also, get lots of observation hours in with at least 3 different populations (pediatrics, geriatrics, mental health, etc) More hours the better. I'd say shoot for 100 hours min. as well.

With your circumstance, you probably should take the GRE and it is critical for you to get a good score. Also, really work on your personal statement and get that down to a T. Express why OT, what made you want to become an OT, how your experience through work/volunteer/etc has shaped you into potentially becoming a professional and ethical future therapist. Really sell yourself here and have either professors or a person with great writing skills look over your statement. Get it perfect! and you are also going to need 3 really good references/recommendations.

hope this information helps. Know that applying to universities isn't cheap, but the more you apply to the better your chances are. Also, I encourage you to not only apply 1 year. If you don't get in your first year applying, get more hours or volunteer take leadership and help yourself out. You have to stand out in your personal statement based on your GPA.

Best of luck to you.

Hello!
First off, what a great discussion! It is great to hear good and constructive advise from all sides! First off, I do agree with some posters that GPA is heavily considered but ofcourse a well rounded student is a must. I too have a low GPA in my undergrad and pursuing a 2nd career in OT. I still work fulltime and I'm retaking courses to help get my GPA up as much as possible. So far I have been able to pull it up from a 2.4 to a 2.75 overall and have a 3.7 in my pre-req's though I know it will be an uphill battle in doing applications this year I'm trying to remain positive. i would also like to add that I do have an MBA but from what most schools are telling me they don't factor my GPA from graduate school into the equation....which is good and bad. Good because it would be less credits that i have which would make any effort seem miniscule...bad b/c I did better in graduate school than in my undergrad. So here's my question....
In filling out applications...I have taken 2 classes in my undergrad and got B's (Stat and Sociology) I am scheduled to retake these classes in the fall. Would it be better to leave them blank as not having ever taken them or better to list the B's that I have and then submit an updated trascript? I just don't want to be passed over simply b/c either I don't have the full pre-req's yet or my grades in my pre-req's are not enough to even get me an interview.
And my last question....
I'm applying a second time to one of the schools I'm applying to this year....Is a second year applicant looked at little bit more than a new applicant? Meaning chances of even getting an interview (provided they see improvement) better than a new? I know most out there can only speak from their own experiences and many might not even know....Maybe I'm just looking for a silver lining...but I would still like someone's opinion...good or bad...I have thick skin...lol! Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know any OT school that has low (<2.4, doubt any exist!) gpa requirement or one that looks at last 60 or 90 units?

There are OT schools that only look at pre-requisite GPAs. There are OT schools that only look at the last 60 hours of undergraduate. There are OT schools that only look at the last degree. There are OT schools that put much more weight on recommendations and interviews and a smaller emphasis on grades. But there are a large number of schools that will use your undergraduate GPA as a way to screen you out before you even get consideration.

To Futuredoc1215, your straight B average is a big improvement over your C average, but you will need to be making a lot more A's in the future to have a chance of getting into OT school. Not necessarily now while working all those hours, but later on if you retake any classes.

For now, getting a degree in another area that allows you to do some of the things you would like to do in OT sounds like a good idea. If you have 3-5 years off you can pay off a little student loans, save up a little for grad school and retake classes you did poorly in. Plus you will be able to catch your breath and get out from the heavy burden you have now.

To everyone on this board, compassion is one of the things that OTs are supposed to have a lot of.:love: Why don't we have compassion for each other? If somebody posted a sharp response, maybe they were having a really bad day.

Hello... I am in a similar situation... I graduated from a small school in Maryland with a cumulative of 2.74, but a 3.0 in my major (exercise science). I applied to 4 schools last spring and was shut down by all... My GRE's were pretty awful, however I am retaking them soon and reapplying to new schools in the winter/spring... do I have any chance? I shadowed two OT's for a total of 55 hours of shadowing and am a male... how much does that help?? Thanks guys!

Some schools don't look at overall GPA but just pre-requisite GPA. Check the websites for any schools you are interested in and see what they say. If that is the case, retake any pre-reqs you made below a B in. A's are ideal.

Study a bunch for the GRE. Vocabulary flashcards, test taking strategies, etc.

Do more volunteer/shadowing hours. 55 seems like a bare minimum.

I still don't know if that would make enough of a difference. Did you get strong letters of recommendation?

Are you still living in Maryland or the mid-Atlantic region? I'm in N. Virginia, and perhaps we could split up researching schools in the area. I also have GPA issues, but mine were due to poor grades in any class involving computer programming. Then I went and chose computers as a profession and wondered why I hated it. <hint of sarcasm>

Some schools don't look at overall GPA but just pre-requisite GPA. Check the websites for any schools you are interested in and see what they say. If that is the case, retake any pre-reqs you made below a B in. A's are ideal.

Study a bunch for the GRE. Vocabulary flashcards, test taking strategies, etc.

Do more volunteer/shadowing hours. 55 seems like a bare minimum.

I still don't know if that would make enough of a difference. Did you get strong letters of recommendation?

Are you still living in Maryland or the mid-Atlantic region? I'm in N. Virginia, and perhaps we could split up researching schools in the area. I also have GPA issues, but mine were due to poor grades in any class involving computer programming. Then I went and chose computers as a profession and wondered why I hated it. <hint of sarcasm>

I am in PA right now and will be doing more shadowing hours in September to get my volunteer numbers as high as possible. I looked up schools that I think I could get into this time around, and so far I have chosen Keuka College, Nova Southeastern Univ., Quinnipiac, Salus Univ., and VCU. I am retaking the GRE in late Oct. or early Nov. I want to be all applied by Thanksgiving, which I think the schools will like. Do I have time to retake a course? I got a C in anatomy, B in exercise phys, C in human phys, and the rest were B's. Thanks!

It depends on the school as to whether they would like it by Thanksgiving or not. It depends. VCU is highly ranked, so I would count that as harder to get into than the other 4 virginia schools. Radford is a fairly new program but requires a lot of pre-reqs.

Because of the overall requirements of the graduate school, I think VCU requires a 3.0 in the last 60 hours of college coursework. Even though they don't say that on the website.

do you think think with 100 shadowing hours, hopefully better scores on my GRE, good letters of recommendation, and a solid personal statement that I could get in? I'm applying to St. Francis, Nova Southeastern, Quinnipiac, and Salus University. I will go ANYWHERE to get in. Should I explain in my personal statement why my GPA is only a 2.75? Thank you!! Sorry too!

Hi everyone, I was wondering if any of you would like to give your input on my stats and let me know what you think I should do or have any advice on anything...

I'm male junior and I go to a school in Minnesota (not the U) and have a GPA hovering around 3.07 at the moment with only 6 classes to go until I graduate and apply to OT schools. I am looking to apply to schools out of state that don't require the GRE since I am not all that great at test taking. I also would like to go to school in a warmer climate since I am sick of the Minnesota weather and would like a change. My only dilemma I think is that my GPA will be low and I got a couple of lower grades in things like
Abnormal Psych: C
Child Psychology: C+
Anatomy: withdraw, fail (in summer), C
OTHER PRE-REQS
Stats: B+
Human Development: B
Physiology: taking it in summer of 2013.

I would like to avoid Biology and Physics if I can, but I don't mind Chemistry. I realize that no biology pretty much throws out all of Florida's schools. :( but who likes rain anyways?

I understand that going out of state will likely cost me a lot more money, and I will essentially go where I get accepted, but do any of you have any suggestions? Have any of you found one school to be easier to get into? My goal areas are CA,AZ,NV,TX,FL and maybe NC. I know I will apply to UMN, St. Catherine, and UMN Rochester as backups and maybe even go there if I get accepted if money becomes a deciding factor.

I plan to graduate in December of 2013 (3 1/2 years) with a BS in Exercise Science and a minor in Sports Medicine.

I work as a physical therapist aide in the Mayo Clinic Health System (inpatient hospital) and have been there working for 1.33 years now. I have over 825 hours of observing PT's, OT's and SLP's in our physical medicine department, and work with Orthopedic Surgeons, PCA's, RN's, Pharmacists and so on a daily basis.

My letters of recommendation look like they will be solid from many different people and have options that range from (2 PT’s) (3-4 OT’s) and 1 (school advisor from U of Utah)

HOW AM I LOOKING? ANY SUGGESTIONS? I WOULD LOVE ANY FEEDBACK (positive or negative) THANKS

MaverickMikeOT:)

Hi MaverickMikeOT,

Your work experience and observation hours will work in your favor. Keep up the great job. You could improve your chances here by adding observation hours in other settings like schools, nursing homes, psychiatric facilities, outpatient clinics, etc. Aim for at least 3 settings total.

Your GPA is neither good nor bad. Is your last 60 credits GPA higher than your overall GPA? Some schools only look at last 60. Do whatever you can to get As in all your courses from now until you graduate. Schools like to see an "upward trend" in your grades so if you have a B average now and start getting an A average, that will work in your favor.

Your prerequisite grades, again, are ok but not very competitive. OT schools see your grades in these (especially anatomy and physiology) as indicators of how well you could handle the type of courses in OT school. Their logic being "if he can't get a B or higher in undergraduate anatomy, how will he maintain a B or higher average in graduate school"? If you have the opportunity to take anatomy again to get a higher grade, do it. Get an A in physiology. Retaking abnormal and child psych would probably also be a good idea if you have the time.

I understand if you don't want to take the GRE. But keep in mind that taking it opens up opportunities to apply to more schools, plus a good GRE score can help to offset a mediocre GPA. Taking a GRE class is helpful to many people in raising their score.

It sounds like you are graduating a semester early. Good job! What do you plan to do after you graduate? If you don't have much lined up yet, consider staying in school one more semester to raise your grades. Another possibility is to graduate, then go to a community college for a semester or two to re-take some of your prerequisites for higher grades. CC classes tend to be (but not necessarily) easier to get good grades in.

I don't think there are many schools that are considered easy to get into since most have many more applicants than they have seats. However, I am not familiar with schools in the south so hopefully some other people will have some better insight for you on that.

Good luck!

Hi All,

I have a 2.877 Cumulative GPA in Mass Communications and I am seriously considering OT school. I know that my GPA is low, so I wanted to write on here to see what schools people have gotten into with low GPAs, as I know they are weighted heavily in the decision process. I just receive an A in Human Growth and Development in a masters level class, PSYC 500. I am planning on applying in 2014 so I can take all my pre req classes, volunteer and do sufficient research. Can everyone please write there stats, gpas, volunteer hours, ect on here! Thank you so much! :)

Hey guys! It's definitely been helpful reading your posts while going through this grueling application process.
I applied for the OT (Bachelors to masters program) last year and I unfortunetly was denied. I didn't realize at that point just how competitive the programs really are. When I applied last year my overall GPA was a 3.3, my prereqs were a 3.85, observation hours- 20hrs inpatient rehabilitation, 20hrs pediatrics, 20hrs vision rehabilitation. I also had over 151 hours of volunteer work

Since then I have decided to finish my Bachelors in Health Science which I will be finishing in December 2013. In January and February I will be sending out my applications for masters OT programs. The program I'm most interested in is Western Michigan University's program. Has anyone applied to this program in the past? That or Wayne State, Grand Valley State, anything in Michigan?

Western Michigan University only look at your last 60 credits, your prereqs, observation hours, leadership hours and volunteer hours.
I'll be finishing up my undergrad with my last 60 credits equaling- 3.85 GPA, my prereqs-3.85 and so far I still only have 60 observation hours.. I'll definitely be adding more hours on to that through the summer.
So my question is, is this competitive enough? It's so hard to say whether someone will get into a program or not and extremely heart wrenching when you receive that letter that says denied! I hope I won't be seeing that again this year, wish me luck!! :D

Goodluck everyone!!

For everyone worried about their low GPA or any other area that's lacking -- there is ALWAYS a chance, so don't lose hope. Nothing is out of the question. If your undergrad GPA sucks, but you have yet to take your prerequisites, you MUST aim for A's and nothing less in order to show the application committee that you are a different student than you once were. In other words, there needs to be some semblance of academic growth and progress on your transcript as a show of faith.

For those who have taken their prerequisites and can no longer boost their GPA or show academic progress, although I would certainly recommend having a GPA that at least hovers around the 3.0 mark to have a legitimate shot at getting accepted, you simply have to recognize that because of your subpar academic record, you need to REALLY stand out in all the other areas. Rack up the volunteer hours. Do community service. Study like hell for the GREs. In other words, show the application committee that you're unique and committed not only to OT, but to the general realm of helping people in this world. In this respect, the personal statement is huge. I cannot understate that this is the KEY to your future acceptance/rejection.

Think about it, when an applications officer looks at your file, the first thing they'll see is your GPA and will basically categorize you as a yay or nay from that point on. You've already taken a huge hit compared to other candidates, so you'll really need to WOW them with your statement. And listen, because if I'm a reviewer, I don't want to hear yet another sob story about how you want to help people because your grandfather had a stroke when you were 5 -- that makes you no different from any of the other candidates. And all things equal, if you have the exact same story as the next person, I'm accepting the one with the higher GPA. In other words, take a risk. Show me WHY you're unique. Show me that you're not just in this for the money. What is it about your past experiences that can convince me that you're committed to OT and invested in helping others? I think a common mistake that applicants make is trying to directly connect the dot of why they want to do OT, so all they do is tell sob stories of someone they know with a disability. Prove to me that you've wanted to help people all your life. Show me that you've been committed. Get involved in community service and all that other jazz. Sell yourself. Good luck!

What is considered a good GPA? I applied for PT in the past and they calculated a 3.20 with their systems cumulative process. I am waiting for OTCAS to verify mine now.

I know everyone looks at the GRE as a really annoying barrier in the application process, but I would look at it as a good opportunity to show that you can excel at something controllable. It's really just a marathon for your brain. Train hard, use your resources, and make that your only goal for a focused period of time.

If you can post above average scores on the GRE, you have a great argument for why your GPA doesn't tell your whole story. I guess what I'm saying is: see the GRE as an opportunity, not a burden. Just like running, you can probably make it a lot further than you think! :)

Reactions: 1 user
The program I applied to does not look at the GRE though I took it for PT at one point and scored a low of 282