Help me decide: UDM or MWU-AZ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dawglala

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Both schools gave me really good feeling. Which school would you choose? Also, I am currently single and would not mind dating locals or fellow students. Which place is easier to meet girls? I plan to do hpsp so cost isnt a factor.

UDM
pro:
people are really nice there, and students seem happy. Coming from LA I was impressesed that strangers would actually smile at me in pizza hut and subway. That left me a really good impresson.
people seem more honest and down to earth in general
no problems getting patients.
more diversity: arabs, indians, blacks, and of course whites. more extic food choices. more diverse female pools to choose from.

cons:
cold winter. I never lived in a place that snows before and not exactly looking forward to. is driving in snow dangerous? do we really need to shovel?
being in detroit. i heard that even though there is security, students still get their car stolen.
no sun? I was there for two days and did not see the sun for once. quite a change from cali.

MWU-AZ
pros:
nice facilities, happy students
no grad programs, more exposures to different procedures
no snow
board after first year, nice to get it done with
campus with different programs, more available female pools to choose from.

cons:
new program. maybe at a disadvantage in specializing
unbearable summer heat

any advice wpuld be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I would choose UDM. But if you need to find a wife or girl friend or somethin lol, then I would look to mwu-az. Also if your freakin out about snow, and the cold, then I dont think UDM is such a great idea.
When did you go interview? Winter is just peeping its head out. But it is the better school and cheaper (i know you have hpsp).

Girl=mwu-az
strong clinic= udm

the rest is up to you

UDM: Being in detroit.

MWU-AZ: no grad programs, more exposures to different procedures
no snow, board after first year

This would answer it for me. As a qualification, I lived in Arizona for 14 years and my father's side of the family is all from Detroit. Yes, it's hot in Phoenix but you can blast your A/C all the time. This is not as easy to do in California due to cost (I lived there for 12 years as well). I was never more hot than in San Diego because people in SD do not use A/C much (too expensive, stubborn?). Yes, it is necessary to run the A/C in SD sometimes :) In AZ, everywhere you go inside is nice and cool. And at Midwestern, everywhere you go inside is nice and new too! That clinic is amazing!

Regarding your concern with specializing, what do you think the adcoms will say when you tell them you've done a ton of RCTs, surgical extractions and fixed and removable prosth b/c every case that walked in the door was yours to complete and wasn't rushed upstairs to the specialty departments.

Oh and BTW, there is a ton of great food and stuff to do in Pheonix. I wouldn't worry about that one bit.

Good luck to you!

I had the choice between UDM and Nova and I am going to nova. I am from Detroit.

I love the city (amazing sports town) but there is a definite depressing factor you get from commuting into the city everyday. However, UDM is an all around amazing program.

And the winters are brutal cold...as in almost 3 months in the 20-30s, not much sun + snowstorms.:thumbup: They build character