This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wayfinder

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN! Just looking for some feedback on my app's process, and job advice.
Degree: Biomedical Sciences Graduated May 2018 local state university
Cumulative GPA: 3.82 Science GPA: 3.81
MCAT Score: Test date April 2019 (Fingers Crossed! Just started studying.)
Targeted Application Date: June 2019 (Have started draft PS, Autobiography, and in-State secondaries)
Background: Female, White, FL resident, 23
Research: 230 hours (Biomedical research with tissue culture and DNA work + project design) + 1 poster
Clinical Volunteering: 110 hours hospital volunteer (ER, ICU, Nurses Station)
Paid Clinical: Easter Seals: 600 Hours as a camp counselor providing personal care, and support to children and adults with physical and mental disabilities.
Physician shadowing: 65 hr Pediatric Cardiology, 12 hr ENT, 10hr Family Practice, 20hr Rheumatology
Non-clinical volunteering/Employment: 1450 Hours Volunteer + 1800 Hours Paid as a Camp Counselor through the Serious Fun Network (SFN). (Working with children with life threatening and chronic illnesses. Providing care, support, helping facilitate activities and friendships between kids, helping them grow in confidence, Mentoring teenagers, being responsible for kid’s safety and well-being.)
Extracurricular activities: Art ~1000 hours Something that gives me great peace of mind. I have lead and facilitated with kids and other counselors, have been commissioned to make various projects for people. I was thinking of creating online art gallery or blog to post work.
Leadership:
-vTA Human Anatomy 88 hours + uTA Quantitative Biological Methods 45 hours
-Supplemental Instruction Leader for Biochemistry and Microbiology: 260 hours
-Program Assistant at SFN 800 Hours (Helping train 60+ volunteers, run programming, supporting the parents and their children living with chronic illness, continuously looking out for and supporting the emotional and physical safety of families and volunteers, helping a multi-million dollar fundraiser team, creating and leading activities, promoting of camp, etc)
LOR: In order: 1 MD, 1 my SFN boss, 1 non-science (close adviser), science #1 (tutored for class), science #2 (was also my research PI).

I know I currently do not have 15 activities, should this be a goal to strive for? Also am I lacking in any of the categories? I realize most of my experience has been in hands on medical camping which falls into the tricky borderline clinical and non-clinical category. Do I have enough primary care shadowing?

I have to work partially this spring, to pay living expenses. I wanted to do research (I loved it!) but live in a rural area and worry about commute time with MCAT prep. Also, I worry for my qualifications for a lot of the research jobs out there. Additionally, there are not many places employment near my current home. And if I move now I probably will not have enough money to apply this upcoming cycle. Will it hurt my application if I get a job at McDonalds or something that I would be comfortable quitting right before or right after my MCAT?

Finally, I applied for one final summer at SFN for a competitive leadership role. What can I say when a place changes your life it’s hard to leave. Anyone’s suggestions for fun service, non-for-profit, research, or anything that helps make a difference to others, gap year ideas would be appreciated!

Suggestions for Spring Improvements and Gap Year #2 plans?

Thanks for any suggestions and your time!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really have any good gap year ideas but your application already looks really solid. The only thing that's a little low is your research hours so if you do really well on the mcat and want to go to a big research school then maybe doing some more research could help. Only issue is it wouldn't be on your application if you don't start before your gap year. You could start earlier and then mention you'll be continuing throughout your gap year in the activities section.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't really have any good gap year ideas but your application already looks really solid. The only thing that's a little low is your research hours so if you do really well on the mcat and want to go to a big research school then maybe doing some more research could help. Only issue is it wouldn't be on your application if you don't start before your gap year. You could start earlier and then mention you'll be continuing throughout your gap year in the activities section.
Thanks for your feedback! I will continue my search for more research opportunities, post mcat. Depending on when I secure something, if it's not on my primaries, is it okay on secondaries to mention future plans? Or would it be okay to email the schools an update once I know what I am doing? Or would that be something I would mention if I was to receive an interview at a school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your feedback! I will continue my search for more research opportunities, post mcat. Depending on when I secure something, if it's not on my primaries, is it okay on secondaries to mention future plans? Or would it be okay to email the schools an update once I know what I am doing? Or would that be something I would mention if I was to receive an interview at a school?

Yeah most secondaries will ask you what you plan to do in your gap year and it will definitely come up in most interviews. Just make sure to crush the mcat!

If your do research activities after you apply they won’t really help. Schools just want to see you doing something productive. You have about double the research I had and I got an II from the only t20 I applied. Just focus on your MCAT. For your gap year just do something productive and fun. I haven’t done anything medically related during my gap year. Taught English overseas, worked at a grocery store in Colorado, and for my dads small engineering business back home. What you do after submitting with have an effect really at all if you’re not just sleeping on the couch all day

If your do research activities after you apply they won’t really help. Schools just want to see you doing something productive.
Thanks for the advice! Mcat is definitely coming first. Will doing research during this time help me with finding research in medical school? My understanding (which could be completely wrong) is some schools have built in programs for their students but others the students have to look for opportunities? Or is it easier for medical school students to find projects compared to undergrad?

Thanks for the advice! Mcat is definitely coming first. Will doing research during this time help me with finding research in medical school? My understanding (which could be completely wrong) is some schools have built in programs for their students but others the students have to look for opportunities? Or is it easier for medical school students to find projects compared to undergrad?
It should be much easier to find research in med school - and have your pick of projects!

If you want to do research in medical school you should have no issues. Some force projects and some you just ask and find. Whether you have no research experience or a lot you will be able to find some in medical school.