HELP PLEASE!! :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Araa91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I am in some need of advice of whether I should retake some classes or do a post-bac program or just take a chance and apply.

my stats as of now:
B.S. Biology
cumGPA: 3.053 sciGPA: 2.89

Shadow Experience:
-Stepping stones program shadowing various doctors/PAs for a month

Work Experience:
- Peace Corps living and volunteering at a health clinic/schools for 2ish years
-Research Internship (for a semester) and Research Associate (after graduation)

Volunteer Experience:
-EMT-B for 3ish years

So if I take a chance and apply, I would be taking the MCATS this April and apply for 2018. However, although I may have a slim chance, I wont feel comfortable knowing that my application is lacking (especially in the GPA). Therefore I'm leaning towards my other options.

If anyone has any similar experience they'd like to share or advice of what to do and the logistics of the plan, that'll be appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

So I am in some need of advice of whether I should retake some classes or do a post-bac program or just take a chance and apply.

my stats as of now:
B.S. Biology
cumGPA: 3.053 sciGPA: 2.89

Shadow Experience:
-Stepping stones program shadowing various doctors/PAs for a month

Work Experience:
- Peace Corps living and volunteering at a health clinic/schools for 2ish years
-Research Internship (for a semester) and Research Associate (after graduation)

Volunteer Experience:
-EMT-B for 3ish years

So if I take a chance and apply, I would be taking the MCATS this April and apply for 2018. However, although I may have a slim chance, I wont feel comfortable knowing that my application is lacking (especially in the GPA). Therefore I'm leaning towards my other options.

If anyone has any similar experience they'd like to share or advice of what to do and the logistics of the plan, that'll be appreciated!!

Btw I'm mostly geared toward the DO route if anyone is wondering, so I'm looking into DO post bacs.

Members don't see this ad :)
UVM's program looks really strong from when I was making a backup plan.

If you've been an EMT, consider going medic. The hospital experience was really helpful. Great to be able to say that you have 600+ hours clinical experience. Plus, the physician relationships you'll make will lead to meaningful letters of rec. great to have a doc that can write about you managing a complex post arrest vented patient.

Plus, you'll be able to earn some good $$$ to pay for retaking classes while working a really fulfilling job. I was a medic through college and had a great experience on the job. Can't recommend enough, plus will look good for residency if you want to go EM

UVM's program looks really strong from when I was making a backup plan.

If you've been an EMT, consider going medic. The hospital experience was really helpful. Great to be able to say that you have 600+ hours clinical experience. Plus, the physician relationships you'll make will lead to meaningful letters of rec. great to have a doc that can write about you managing a complex post arrest vented patient.

Plus, you'll be able to earn some good $$$ to pay for retaking classes while working a really fulfilling job. I was a medic through college and had a great experience on the job. Can't recommend enough, plus will look good for residency if you want to go EM
Unfortunately my EMT cert expired when I was in the Peace Corps so now I'm looking into ER scribing.

Retake any science class that's an F or D, and then do (and ace) a post-bac or SMP.
No Ds and Fs thankfully but I have a straight trend with 7 or 8 Cs bringing me down. I'm thinking of retaking classes in Fall and applying for the VCOM post bac.

No Ds and Fs thankfully but I have a straight trend with 7 or 8 Cs bringing me down. I'm thinking of retaking classes in Fall and applying for the VCOM post bac.

Retaking C's may not be a great option anymore with the end of grade replacement. I think taking a few upper division science classes would be better and then trying to get into a post-bacc/SMP.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't recommend applying this upcoming cycle without GPA repair, it will be a complete waste of money. Focus on studying your tail off for the MCAT, then I would recommend a DIY post-bacc of all upper-level science (at least 16-20 credits) or a reputable all science master's at a medical school. I think SMP's can be worth it if you end up with a high MCAT (that's who they are geared for), but if you fall under 510 I wouldn't recommend dishing out the hefty price tag for a classic SMP like G-town, Tulane, Cinci etc.

Retakes, unless you have lots of D's or straight up failed, are not the way to go anymore under new AACOMAS guidelines. You just need to now "reinvent" and show schools you can handle rigorous science coursework.

What's your state of residence?

I wouldn't recommend applying this upcoming cycle without GPA repair, it will be a complete waste of money. Focus on studying your tail off for the MCAT, then I would recommend a DIY post-bacc of all upper-level science (at least 16-20 credits) or a reputable all science master's at a medical school. I think SMP's can be worth it if you end up with a high MCAT (that's who they are geared for), but if you fall under 510 I wouldn't recommend dishing out the hefty price tag for a classic SMP like G-town, Tulane, Cinci etc.

Retakes, unless you have lots of D's or straight up failed, are not the way to go anymore under new AACOMAS guidelines. You just need to now "reinvent" and show schools you can handle rigorous science coursework.

Maryland, so I'm thinking of applying to pcom, Lecom, and vcom post bacs. I'm not sure if vcom would accept though bc I have a 2.89 sgpa and they need 2.9.

Maryland, I'm looking into lecom, vcom, and pcom post bacs now. Vcom has a 2.9 scigpa minimum requirement and I have a 2.89 so I may just take a chance anyways.