Help Ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OverEasy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really appreciate help ranking these programs on reputation and possibility of fellowships:

KUMC
U of Louisville
Medical College of Wisconsin
U Toledo
Case Western MetroHealth
UMDNJ Newark
UMDNJ New Brunswick
SUNY Upstate
Advocate Lutheran
Michigan State (East Lansing)
East Carolina
U Arkansas
Wright State
SUNY Downstate
U of South Florida

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would really appreciate help ranking these programs on reputation and possibility of fellowships:

KUMC
U of Louisville
U Toledo
Case Western MetroHealth
UMDNJ Newark
UMDNJ New Brunswick
SUNY Upstate
Advocate Lutheran
East Carolina
U Arkansas
Wright State
SUNY Downstate
U of South Florida

Thanks for the help!

Go to the respective websites of each of these programs and see where grads match. It's time consuming, but that is by far the best way to determine reputation. Also, check out where grads practice as hospitalists- this can also help determine how respected grads are at other institutes.

KUMC
U of Louisville
U Toledo
Case Western MetroHealth
UMDNJ Newark
UMDNJ New Brunswick
SUNY Upstate
Advocate Lutheran
East Carolina
U Arkansas
Wright State
SUNY Downstate
U of South Florida

Thanks for the help!

Wisconsin > KU > Arkansas . . .

Everything else, place it as you see fit

Members don't see this ad :)
Wisconsin > KU > Arkansas . . .

Everything else, place it as you see fit

C'mon man (ESPN style) ;)....Kansas and Arkansas over Louisville? Both these programs rarely send grads outside for fellowships.

Also I would be interested to know how UMDNJ matches...considering they are on the east coast, and regional factor does come into play for fellowships.

C'mon man (ESPN style) ;)....Kansas and Arkansas over Louisville? Both these programs rarely send grads outside for fellowships.

Also I would be interested to know how UMDNJ matches...considering they are on the east coast, and regional factor does come into play for fellowships.

I'm just not that familiar with Louisville.

Also, I think it's important to point out when it comes to mid tier university programs, especially those in the midwest, the biggest reason people don't match outside of their home institution is not so much because they can't but because they are not interested. Many people that stay in the midwest for residency, do not do so because they couldn't make it into a coastal program, but rather because they are from the midwest and prefer to stay in the midwest

I'm just not that familiar with Louisville.

Also, I think it's important to point out when it comes to mid tier university programs, especially those in the midwest, the biggest reason people don't match outside of their home institution is not so much because they can't but because they are not interested. Many people that stay in the midwest for residency, do not do so because they couldn't make it into a coastal program, but rather because they are from the midwest and prefer to stay in the midwest

Agreed - I have noticed a lot of those kinds of applicants on the trail, who are applying to midwest places (often remote) because they want to be in their midwest.

Louisville is a very good training program. I have a friend there. But you do get worked hard. So I think if you want to also enjoy a lot of quality time outside of work, maybe another place may be better. But I would def rank it above UAMS for sure, maybe even KUMC.

This is just not true - and I went to UofL for medschool. In the past two years, we have had people goto San Antonio, Virginia, Mayo - Rochester, Boston U, Drexel, Louisville, Kentucky, Indiana, George Washington. In the past 3 years we also sent people to North Carolina, Duke, UAB, and St. Louis. Don't get me wrong, UAMS matches their own, but others do go elsewehere.

Don't know much about KU, but their chief resident called our cheif resident asking how we match so well.