HELP: Should I transfer? What should I do...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swtsong325

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a freshman just about to finish my first semester at a medium-large state school. I'm a psych major and on the pre-med track, but the school I'm at is considered to some as a "safety" school and a "party school" even though it isn't a community college.

I'm having an internal conflict right now: I'm not sure if I should transfer to another higher-tiered college, or if I should stay here and be in a sense "the big fish in small pond"...

I went to a pretty competitive and prestigious magnet high school, but I had a pretty bad/depressing senior year from family conflicts overlapping with school work and college apps to the point where I ended up only applying to safety schools and in-state schools. I had a 4.1+ weighted GPA and 22 credit hours from APs with a 33 ACT score.

It's not that this school is bad, I actually came to like it here and everyone here is really nice. But the atmosphere is definitely very different from what it was like at my old high school. It's not like school is a breeze since there's a lot of work load like reading textbooks (the normal college stuff), but the course itself isn't too hard since I'm getting 97s and 100s in most exams even in hard sciences. And at my dorm, everyone comes to me for help, and it's hard on me because I'm starting to get the feeling that not everyone here is as competitive and driven - unlike how my friend group was in high school. It's not that they're not smart, they all have things that they excel at that they're interested in, but the problem is that I don't share that same interest. At least as of now, there hasn't been a person that I could connect with in my grade concerning my medical career and passion. Although I have a really close friend group here, sometimes it feels a bit like I'm suffocating and a bit like I'm a lone wolf in the pack. And my mom is quite the helicopter parent, and she was quite disappointed and concerned that I hadn't applied to anywhere above safety schools. She keeps telling me that I should be at a more challenging school where I could feel more driven, but to be completely honest, although I do agree that the environment isn't as challenging and I do understand how she feels my regret for not having tried applying elsewhere, I feel that she just wants me to transfer because she doesn't like that I'm at a low-tiered school.

My goal for medical school is JHU, which I know is an extremely competitive school, but I know that I could be the top 1-3% at the school I am in now GPA wise. I could also get more research opportunities from professors. And since the course work isn't that hard, I could take online classes for myself to learn a language or learn how to code, as well as have time for extra curricular such as community service projects.

But if I transferred (assuming I actually get in), I would be in an environment that could drive me to work harder and be with people of similar interest that I could compete with to earn something that makes me feel accomplished. I would also have to accept that I wouldn't be the best, and I feel that my GPA would suffer since I may be an average student at a higher-tiered school since the course work would definitely be harder. There may also be more opportunities that were not offered here at my current undergrad, although it would mean that it'd be quite competitive to get. I may also not have as much leeway to do other things like online classes or extra curricular. But these are all predictions of what may happen since I'm not the overconfident-type and tend to look at things factually instead of hopefuls.

Another concern with transferring is talking with my counselors. I'm not sure how I would go about asking them about transferring since I haven't ever shown them any dissatisfaction with being here. I also feel bad for basically saying I want to transfer because it's not challenging or competitive here.

Any advice? Anyone with experience please give me feedback on what I should do.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Your decision is up to you, but here is what I would do in your situation:

1. Forget about what your mother thinks unless she is a medical school adcom.

2. If you can get a 4.0 or similar at this school relatively easily, stay there and use that extra time to get involved in and lead meaningful extracurriculars, demonstrate your commitment to medicine, and party. Just make sure that when the time comes you also put in tons of time and effort studying for the MCAT.

3. Find some mentors early (professors you get to know and take multiple classes with, research PIs, community leaders) and latch on to them. If you can have meaningful discussions with them and you really stand out as much as you say you do, you can get exceptional letters of recommendation.

4. Forget about JHU or any specific elite medical school. Not because they are hard to get into (although they are), but because you can't control where you get in and the admissions process usually seems random even for the mythical "perfect" applicant. You could get into Harvard and not even get an interview at JHU, and vice versa. Just aim for the top in general.

If you already enjoy your current school, I feel that is a huge impetus to stay. There are too many stories of people crashing and burning in hyper-rigorous cutthroat environments with no tangible benefit to medical school admissions for me to take that risk personally.

Obviously only n=1 but I have two friends who went to no name private undergrad in the middle of nowhere because they got nice scholarships, and now one is in Harvard's medical school and one is in Harvard's dental school. Both are ORM who did the above.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm a senior at a huge state school. I also struggled somewhat my first year with finding my place, but staying ended up being the best decision I could've made for my personal growth. I'm also having a very successful application cycle, in part thanks to the unique opportunities that are only accessible by being a standout student.

I understand the feelings you're having, but it's time to let go of your ideas of what "could've been" for your own happiness. No one cares anymore if you were an outstanding high school student (except perhaps your mother), and they'll only care less as you get older. Now is the time to push yourself instead of relying on competition with others to push you. If you feel the need to compete in order to "earn something that makes [you] feel accomplished" -- try entering a lab that really challenges you to learn new skills with mentors who motivate you, become a tutor, apply for grants to study abroad, or join an academic competition club to meet more driven peers. Is it really possible that you're the smartest or most competitive person at your school? Maybe, but it seems more likely you just haven't met everyone yet. ;)

Right now, it sounds like you're doing well, making friends, and have plenty of time to explore your interests. You can, of course, find a different environment at a more competitive school -- but I wouldn't underestimate the opportunities you have right where you are. You'll be in great shape come application season if you leave your school with a fantastic GPA, lots of time for self-exploration, and mentors who can speak to your drive. :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
this is ridiculous. people literally get into med school over people from deflating schools all the time... its crazy unfair but its the reality. speaking from experience, do not leave an easy 4.0. youd be stupid to go through what i did

You'll be fine, you can get into med school from any undergrad. It's what you make of it. I went to a public state school and knew people who got accepted to schools anywhere from Harvard to Penn State, while friends at nearby, prestigious private schools in the state are struggling to overcome low GPA's. I like 151 others' advice above.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you everyone for those advices, it makes me feel a lot better and more reassured. Hope you all also finds success and luck in whatever you all are trying to achieve!