help!!! what do I do junior year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kgamon8

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I'm going to be a junior in the fall and am kind of nervous. if it matters I have a 3.74...
Freshman year: worked in biochemistry lab
Summer: did research at state medical center, poster, no publication
24 hours of volunteering at recreational therapy center for kids (I have been doing this since high school but my job didn't allow me to contribute more time
Sophomore: Continued work in biochem lab but was university funded and produced a poster
Began to volunteer at cat shelter (i mostly do it for therapy to keep me sane) roughly 70/80 hours?
Peer Mentor for incoming freshmen to the honor's program
Wellness Advocate, worked with student health center to promote sexual, mental, and physical health amongst the student population. Became CPR, first aid, and suicide prevention trained also learned how to administer rapid HIV tests
Summer: 1 month study abroad China (does this even count lmao), working in a different lab at the med center for the summer, volunteering at the therapy center with adults, volunteering at a non-profit community technology center, helping adults with computer issues and teaching kids the bare basics of coding
Junior year:
so I'm trying to figure out what I want to do. I for sure am working in the school's HIV clinic and continuing to be a mentor and volunteering at the cat shelter.
a couple of other things I could do are possibly be a TA for a genetics class or intern for a community-based health outreach (to be determined what exactly).

I am debating whether I should continue to work in the biochem lab. For one thing, I think my boss is done with me after he got a year without paying me as I was university funded, and now I would come back without that funding. Also, the postdoc who does the more human-based research is leaving and I'm not sure I could contribute my best work to protein analysis. Also the other undergrads in the lab stay in the summer, but I go home, mainly because I like the experiences I can get doing research at the medical center. I think commitment is important, but also isn't getting new experiences? But then those students can work their best without the stress of school and build strong relationships with the prof.

I could also contact a behavioral research lab on campus because I have a psych minor and was really intrigued by biopsychology.

I am kind of stubborn about volunteering and only feel like doing it when I actually think I make a contribution. For this reason, I resent volunteering at the local hospital because I know they mostly do clerical work, but I always could.

Also is it terrible if I have no shadowing and might get like 10 hours this summer? It's super hard to get shadowing opportunities at school and now that I work full-time in the lab for the summer I feel bad leaving to shadow some mornings.

I am just feeling kind of down because I turned down a full time opportunity to work at the therapy center this summer for the lab position bc it paid more and I thought it "looked better" and then I could use the hours there as volunteering. But I wish I had worked there because I love the kids so much and I could actually socialize...I am worried that I'm not staying true to myself and just trying to look good to make up for my GPA but then here I am wondering what activities to do..yikes!

Members don't see this ad.

Just generally... your gpa is fine. It will be better defined when you get your MCAT so I wouldn't take unwanted measures to make it go higher. As a general rule try not to spread yourself too thin. You want to be able to have a cogent conversation about each of your activities without necessarily checking every possible box of activities. Definitely don't do that which you don't feel like doing. There seems to be plenty that you enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Pre-med checklist - Admissions - School of Medicine - Wayne State University

perhaps this helps for just a general guideline... Not exactly what you need, but I would say this is the bare minimum you need...

You are doing fine, I would take some time off if you can from your "Adult" responsibilities and enjoy life! Go camping with some friends, explore up/down down, go to the beach... whatever, just breath, you are doing great! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-med checklist - Admissions - School of Medicine - Wayne State University

perhaps this helps for just a general guideline... Not exactly what you need, but I would say this is the bare minimum you need...

You are doing fine, I would take some time off if you can from your "Adult" responsibilities and enjoy life! Go camping with some friends, explore up/down down, go to the beach... whatever, just breath, you are doing great! :)
I wish!! This darn research position goes until the 10th.. then I start 9-5 training for my school job the 14-16th..then school the 17th. Hoping to relax on the 4th and to go to a music festival in July though.

Reactions: 1 user
but I was wondering what to do junior year. Maybe give up research for the year? I don't know

I have a scarily similar application to yours. Like almost exact. What I'm doing next year (my junior year too) is trying to expand by non-clinical volunteering, get some more clinical volunteering hours, continue my research, shadow, and stay involved in some clubs and maybe add 1 more. I was going to tutor more but I just don't feel I have enough time to devote to all these things. One thing I might say is if you don't have any leadership positions in any clubs or organizations to try and find one, overall your application looks good to me.

I have a scarily similar application to yours. Like almost exact. What I'm doing next year (my junior year too) is trying to expand by non-clinical volunteering, get some more clinical volunteering hours, continue my research, shadow, and stay involved in some clubs and maybe add 1 more. I was going to tutor more but I just don't feel I have enough time to devote to all these things. One thing I might say is if you don't have any leadership positions in any clubs or organizations to try and find one, overall your application looks good to me.
If I took a break from research how bad would that be... And can my leadership be being a mentor and being a TA?

but I was wondering what to do junior year. Maybe give up research for the year? I don't know
Give it the fall semester and see if you want to continue... if during the semester you feel like its too much, give two weeks notice and find yourself a TA or mentorship job. This will act as your leadership... You seem to have plenty of research time, so if you wanted to, you could give notice now, and move on from there... you have a strong application already in the making, so continuing in this lab is up to you at this point. Honestly, unless you are trying to hit the top 10/20 in the nation, with your track record and your drive you got this in the bag... :)

Long story short, its up to you. You already have research time, and have shown commitment. your leadership can come from TA/ mentorship jobs. At this point, you decide what is best for you and your mental/ emotional health. I would say that leadership looks better than research! :)

See here for value points of different activities by @Lawper:

A Compilation of Essential SDN Wisdom

Honestly, one of the top sources for me.

If I took a break from research how bad would that be... And can my leadership be being a mentor and being a TA?

I was also a tutor/TA but I read a post once that said some consider it more "teaching experience" rather than leadership experience. That's why I pursued some other avenues for leadership roles. But in no way is being a TA not good.