HELP!!!! Which one is the right choice. MD,Pa,PT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which one would be the best choice for my situation?

• DPT

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • PA

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • MD

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

DocScott254

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My life dilemma with career choices is that I am not sure which one would be the best choice for my current life situation(Med School, PT School, or PA School). A little background about myself is that I was a Corpsman for about 8 years(Mostly spent with the Infantry and finished off my contract working in a ER in the D.C. area). I am currently working as a personal trainer/strength coach and will be graduating with my B.S. in Exercise Science 12/14/2018. I am also married with kids.

So worries of course are that I will not be able to work while in grad school, the time spent away from family, and the amount of time it will take before I am actually working in my chosen career path.

Med school has always been the ultimate goal but of course life happened so I had to readjust. I feel as if I am a little behind the power curve plus I have a family that I need to provide for as well(Side note my wife is in Nursing school)

Physical therapy is also appealing due to the option of opening my own clinic/gym and being my own boss. Plus I get both Medicine and Fitness in one.

PA is also a great option for me due to the time it takes and the amount of medicine I will be able to do. But the downside with being a PA for me is that I will always have to work under a doctors license which worries me because I would hate to work under a Lazy or A-Hole provider.

I do love medicine and I know one of these professions is for me but not sure which one is the best for me and my current situation.

I apologize for the length and typos.
Also thank you for your advice/help

Members don't see this ad.

You can only choose not to attend medical school if you successfully apply. If you are ok with never knowing, don't apply. If you are ok with not attending, apply and then decide. If you are not ok with being a PA, PT, then the answer is clear.

Reactions: 1 user
You can only choose not to attend medical school if you successfully apply. If you are ok with never knowing, don't apply. If you are ok with not attending, apply and then decide. If you are not ok with being a PA, PT, then the answer is clear.

Honestly I would be ok with either of the 3 choices. With med school being my top choice. So what makes it hard for me is the impact it will have on my household. Of course becoming a Dr. would be amazing but I may not be able to do that because I am no longer just worrykng about “Myself”

So if you have been through or know of someone that is in the same shoes as me that would be great. I’m really just looking to see which one is the least impactful on a persons family and household.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly I would be ok with either of the 3 choices. With med school being my top choice. So what makes it hard for me is the impact it will have on my household. Of course becoming a Dr. would be amazing but I may not be able to do that because I am no longer just worrykng about “Myself”

So if you have been through or know of someone that is in the same shoes as me that would be great. I’m really just looking to see which one is the least impactful on a persons family and household.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
There are many nontrads on here who have gone through what you are contemplating. I'm not one of them, hopefully they chime in. From what I understand, the medicine + happy household route can definitely work, with two essential caveats:

1) Your spouse must be 100% supportive
2) You must be 100% supportive of your spouse

You see, you're going to be working/studying 80hrs/wk for 4 yrs of med school + ~4 yrs of residency. Your spouse has to be on board with that. Also understand that your spouse is going to be working just as hard to keep everything else together. You must fully appreciate their burden, and constantly make an effort to show it, or your double marriage (medicine + spouse) is doomed from day 1.

So, can you come home from a 24 and cook a quick dinner for the family? Listen attentively to your spouse's day? Walk the dog? Wrestle with your kids? I could be wrong but consistently neglecting normal tasks like these will likely lead to a broken household or divorce.

If you feel all that is doable, the financial sum > 0, and you can't imagine doing anything as happily as medicine--sign up and don't look back.

Medical school --> PM&R. Don't worry about not being able to work while in school if you have GI Bill or VRE. You'll get BAH with those assuming you qualify (after 8 years, you should unless it was reserve or something).

Your reasonings lead me to suggest PT. You stated no down sides, and a desire to work for yourself in that field. The education may be kinder to a family, and you may be able to get into that program sooner, it will likely be less expensive and taxing on life...

Only choose med school if absolutely nothing else will suffice, if the family you love and want to keep supports you 100%, and you see yourself as nothing but a physician.

Thank you for your service!

Rule of thumb I’ve noticed and have used for myself: If you see yourself doing something else, don’t do MD/DO.

Nothings a certainty, but you seem as though being a PT would work. You don’t work under someone’s license as a PA (that you expressed concern about) and aspire to have your own shop and autonomy.

My concern was wife and kids and will be utilizing Voc-Rehab (pending soon) to cover all our tuition and living costs. Do you have GI Bill or used it for your B.S.? That will play a strong factor in taking care of family finances if you still lean towards MD/DO route.