This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CK1212

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I did not make the smart decision of pre-writing my diversity essay. I have received a couple of secondaries and am beginning to work on them now. My app isn't verified yet though, so I'm hoping to really nail down my diversity essay before they start flooding in.

One idea I had for my essay was talking about my perspective on tackling Public Health issues with a holistic approach through nutrition and exercise. I grew up part of an ethnicity with high cardiovascular disease and rates along with other lifestyle disease caused by poor nutrition and habits such as smoking (smoking is a large part of the culture). I talk about my passion for Powerlifting elsewhere in my application, and I was thinking about writing how growing up with such serious health problems being common in my community pushed me into a passion for fitness to avoid these problems. Pursuing knowledge about nutrition and exercise has been a big part of my life, including seeking research on these different topics. Since I have garnered a decent amount of knowledge in these fields, I help friends and family in my life with their own nutrition/training (something I haven't mentioned anywhere in my app). One idea I have always had for my future practice was to provide patients with nutritional and exercise guidance beyond the average internet Google search as a form of weight management and control for patients to help prevent chronic disease. I just don't know if this is a good topic to write about or appropriate for Allopathic schools since Osteopathic programs tend to emphasize the holistic approach more. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

One idea I had for my essay was talking about my perspective on tackling Public Health issues with a holistic approach through nutrition and exercise. ... Pursuing knowledge about nutrition and exercise has been a big part of my life ... Since I have garnered a decent amount of knowledge in these fields, I help friends and family in my life with their own nutrition/training ... I just don't know if this is a good topic to write about or appropriate for Allopathic schools since Osteopathic programs tend to emphasize the holistic approach more.
I think that this topic is fine. I would place less emphasis on the public health aspect (unless you've actually engaged in public health work or advocacy) and more emphasis on your counseling of friends and family, and how you hope that your experiences would be beneficial to your future colleagues/friends and patients.

I should also point out that Allopathic schools do also care about and emphasize holistic patient care. Being less holistic does not mean being non-holistic ;) . Though there is admittedly still a long ways to go in medicine to achieve these goals.