Help with School List, highly appreciated {511 MCAT 3.66 cGPA}

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcSoup

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was hoping someone with a bit of experience could help me out with this. I'm trying to generate a list of 15 MD schools and 7 DO schools.

Demographic:
Questionably low income (family on border of being government assistance eligable), but not EDA.
White, NY resident.

I'm gathering a list of schools together and have the following:

MD:
Albany medical college, NY
New York medical college, NY
SUNY Upstate, NY
Stony Brook, NY
University of Rochester, NY
Commonwealth, PA
Wake Forest, NC
Drexel, PA
George Washington, DC

DO:
De Moines U, IA
NYIT, NY
Touro, NY

My Stats:
511 MCAT: 129/125/127/130
3.66 cGPA, 3.59 sGPA; majored in Physics, minor in Chem
Completed Undergrad at Stony Brook University

LoR:
1 from highly respected physics professor (might be impersonal though)
1 from physics faculty (Isn't technically a professor, but was an instructor for senior lab)
1 from non-medical work experience tutoring
1 from DO i'm currently working with
1 from MD I will obtain before applying

Experience: (kinda weak undergraduate, but great gap year experience)

Tutor through my school 1 1/2 years. Certified CLRA level 1 as I had one on one tutoring sessions, probably my biggest leadership role.

Writer for school paper 2 years. Wrote columns on health and science discoveries in physics, the subject of my mission statement.

Red Cross Club 1 year. Volunteered with some blood drives and such, but have no records of it for any specified amount of hours.

Hospital volunteering ~100 hours. Pretty minimal clerical role, no patient contact.

Gap year --> Medical Scribe in ED: This is where i'm getting the DO and MD LoR from and it's been a phenomenal experience so far since I get to work with EM Docs all the time, the field I specifically want to enter.

So i'm wondering if any of you know what schools i should add to this list. Most of the schools so far place me a bit above the average applicant (MCAT-wise), but i'm wondering if I stood a good chance at any other schools. To be honest, i just need to get into a US med school, not THE best US med school. Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

All your schools are reasonable choices but apply to all 4 SUNY's. Other schools you could add where you could receive an interview with your stats:
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Hofstra
Einstein
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Georgetown
CUNY may be accepting applications through AMCAS this year but you will need to check on this with the school.
For DO you could add LECOM, PCOM, VCOM, UNECOM

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help, you two. I'm going to look into these schools.

Hi,
I had very similar stats and background-- just graduated from Binghamton.
I did 16 MD schools and 2 DO schools.
I received interviews from only NY schools ( Einstein, Stony Brook, NYMC, NYIT, and TouroHarlem) despite having applied to many schools in PA and some in DC.
I was rejected post-interview from Einstein, wait-listed at SB and NYIT, and accepted to NYMC and Touro. I will be attending NYMC in the Fall.
Hope this helps!!

Congrats! and thanks for the good news. Do you mind telling me more about your stats / time of application? How was the interviewing?

I had a 504 MCAT, 3.4 sGPA, 3.8 cGPA, 3 years of research experience with a few poster presentations, I am a personal trainer and group fitness instructor which is what I wrote my ps about, I had 7 LOR and I believe they were all very strong (or so I've been told). I shadowed 2 physicians, one MD, one DO. I also did about 5o hours of hospital volunteering as well as several other community service hours that were non-medical related. I submitted my primary on June 18th last year and completed my secondaries by the end of August.
Interviewing was pretty good once I had some practice. NYIT was my first interview in October and that was a learning experience. After that I had 3 interviews in January and 1 in Feb. All of the interviews seemed to go well overall. I was really sad that I got rejected from AE--I have no idea what I did wrong, but that's the hard part about this process, you never know if it was something you did or said specifically or something that has nothing to do with you at all.
I applied to a lot of lower tier schools in NY and PA thinking that I only really had a good chance at those schools but I actually found that I was quickly rejected from them for whatever reason. If there's one thing I wish I knew last year at this time it's that I wish I had applied almost only to NY schools (even if they were more difficult to get into) because especially coming from a SUNY school, I think they gave me more consideration being that I have lived in NY my whole life and was attending a SUNY school and therefore would probably want to continue to live in NY. I feel that even though schools in PA probably know about the SUNY schools, they are less likely to consider NY students if they have thousands of in-state applicants to pick from.