Hematology/Oncology 2019-2020 Fellowship Season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received message from U-Mich that they received application and currently reviewing. Apparently they will let me know if I am offered interview by August 20.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Received message from U-Mich that they received application and currently reviewing. Apparently they will let me know if I am offered interview by August 20.
same. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Posting from my phone so can't use the proper format. Yale interview invitation today.

Reactions: 1 users
Interview Invitations/Rejections
(Please bold the new interviews added to keep track of changes)

Invitations:

University of Iowa: 7/17 ***
Texas Tech: 7/18 ***
Yale 7/18 ***

Rejections:

* IMG does not need a visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

****DO

I don't think so. Typically they'll reach out with either an interview offer or rejection according to the previous years thread. Any particular concerns?
My friends who have applied to other specialties still haven't heard anything. Just curious!

I submitted my application on July 15th but my LORs were not ready assigned until July 17th (EFDO processing delay), I'm worried that programs printed the applications for review on the 15th and are not going to consider mine since my LORs were not up and ready...Any advice?

I submitted my application on July 15th but my LORs were not ready assigned until July 17th (EFDO processing delay), I'm worried that programs printed the applications for review on the 15th and are not going to consider mine since my LORs were not up and ready...Any advice?

I don’t think a 2 day delay really matters. Most programs even have a deadline weeks after July 15. You should be ok.. You can check deadline of applications for each program you applied if that makes a difference then email them..

My friends who have applied to other specialties still haven't heard anything. Just curious!

Endo has. That's all I've heard of...but I also haven't been talking to anyone about it. :happy:

:) At least it was quick!

Guys my computer is acting funny, and I can't unbold Yale. Just FYI.

Invitations:

Yale 7/18 ***

Rejections:
UNC 7/19 ***

** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

****DO

On mobile again so not able to add to the list. UNC interview invite today.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think a 2 day delay really matters. Most programs even have a deadline weeks after July 15. You should be ok.. You can check deadline of applications for each program you applied if that makes a difference then email them..
[/QUOTE
Thanks @Onclover, I hope it's not going to negatively affect me. I applied to 45 programs so it's going to be difficult to individually email them all.

Anyone else has experience with late LOR upload and whether it affects the number of invites? My concern is that the programs have already printed my applications prior to the LORs and not consider the application since it’s incomplete... :(

Last edited:
If interviews are sent to other applicants and if you don’t get an interview invite, is it safe to assume that you will not get an interview in that place even without a rejection email? I have noticed that it rarely happens that interviews were sent on separate dates on previews years thread. But of course not everybody is a member of sdn ..

I would not assume that because you could still be in their pile for the next wave of interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
If interviews are sent to other applicants and if you don’t get an interview invite, is it safe to assume that you will not get an interview in that place even without a rejection email? I have noticed that it rarely happens that interviews were sent on separate dates on previews years thread. But of course not everybody is a member of sdn ..

Yeah SDN is such a small crowd. I think there's still a chance.

Endo has. That's all I've heard of...but I also haven't been talking to anyone about it. :happy:
I know someone who has a nephrology interview at a large academic center and another with a palliative interview at Yale. Statistically should be pretty quiet until august generally speaking.

May the interviews flow freely!

Invitations:

Rejections:
UNC 7/19

luckily not at the top of my list :p

From speaking with several 1st-year fellows that matched last year, their impression was that most programs send interviews in waves. So if you haven't been rejected, you are still in the game. Obviously, this is their impression and may vary from program to program.

Invitations:

Rejections:
UNC 7/19

luckily not at the top of my list :p
Please use the most up to date one so we all can keep track of what’s happening lol

Last year I received several interviews in September and even a late one in October. There is still plenty of time.

Last year I received several interviews in September and even a late one in October. There is still plenty of time.
Good to know,

I made a list by date last year of when interviews were first received.
UT Southwestern 7/18***, 7/20***
7/18​
Yale 7/18***, 7/18*, 7/23***, 7/26**
7/18​
MD Anderson 7/19***, 8/3*, 8/14***, 9/12****
7/19​
BIDMC 7/20*, 8/28***
7/20​
Georgetown University 7/23***
7/23​
Medical College of Georgia 7/23*
7/23​
VCU 7/23***, 7/23****
7/23​
DFCI 7/24*
7/24​
St Louis University 7/26****
7/26​
University of Michigan 7/26***
7/26​
Ochsner Medical Center 7/27***, 7/27****
7/27​
Mount Sinai 7/30***
7/30​
NYU 7/30***
7/30​
Rutgers/Robert Wood Johnson 7/30***
7/30​
Texas Tech, Lubbock 7/30**
7/30​
University of Florida 7/30***
7/30​
Duke 7/31***, 8/1*
7/31​
University of North Carolina 7/31***
7/31​
Buffalo 8/1***, 8/13*
8/1​
East Carolina 8/1*, 8/1****
8/1​
East Tennessee State Uni 8/1*
8/1​
Medical College of Wisconsin 8/1****, 8/1***, 8/1*, 8/1***, 8/20**
8/1​
NIH/NCI 8/1**, 8/7*, 8/8***, 8/29****
8/1​
University of Iowa 8/1**, 8/1***
8/1​
University of South Florida 8/1***, 8/1****
8/1​
University of Virginia 8/1***, 8/1****
8/1​
University of Kentucky 8/2***, 8/2***, 8/2****
8/2​
University of Maryland 8/2***, 8/2****
8/2​
University of Rochester 8/2***, 8/14*
8/2​
University of Southern California 8/2***
8/2​
LSU 8/3***, 8/3***, 8/3****
8/3​
Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville 8/3****, 8/3***, 8/3**, 8/10*, 8/22**
8/3​
Penn State Hershey 8/3***, 8/8***, 8/28***
8/3​
University of Cincinnati 8/3***, 8/3*, 8/3****
8/3​
UMKC 8/3**, 8/3*
8/3​
Vanderbilt 8/3***, 8/3***, 8/3****
8/3​
Fox Chase/Temple 8/5***8/23*
8/5​
UC Irvine 8/6***
8/6​
UCSF 8/6***, 8/10***
8/6​
University of Massachusetts 8/6***
8/6​
Mayo Clinic, Phoenix 8/7***, 8/10***
8/7​
UCONN 8/7***
8/7​
UF Jacksonville 8/7*
8/7​
Mayo Clinic Rochester 8/8***
8/8​
Tufts 8/8***
8/8​
UCLA 8/8***
8/8​
University of Washington Fred Hutchinson 8/8***, 8/8*
8/8​
Brown University 8/9****
8/9​
Georgetown-Washington Hospital 8/9***
8/9​
Ascension St John 8/10****
8/10​
Einstein (Philly) 8/10***, 8/10*
8/10​
Gundersen Health 8/10****, 8/14*
8/10​
Methodist Hospital (Houston) 8/10***, 8/16*
8/10​
Montefiore/Einstein (NY) 8/10***
8/10​
OHSU 8/10***
8/10​
University of Missouri Columbia 8/10*
8/10​
WVU 8/10*, 8/16****
8/10​
Dartmouth-Hitchcock 8/11*
8/11​
Boston University 8/13***
8/13​
Cornell/NYP 8/13***
8/13​
University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital 8/13***,8/13**, 8/13*
8/13​
UTHSC San Antonio 8/13***, 8/20***, 8/20****, 09/04**
8/13​
Olive View/UCLA 8/14***
8/14​
Carolinas Medical Center 8/15***, 8/23***
8/15​
Jefferson 8/15***,09/06***
8/15​
Ohio State University 8/15***, 8/21****
8/15​
Harbor-UCLA (City of Hope Research Track) 8/16***
8/16​
Northwestern 8/16***
8/16​
University of Chicago 8/17***, 8/21***, 8/28**
8/17​
University of Minnesota 8/17***
8/17​
Henry Ford/Wayne State 8/20*, 8/20****, 8/20**
8/20​
Indiana University 8/20***
8/20​
Loyola University 8/20***
8/20​
MUSC 8/20***, 8/20*, 8/31***
8/20​
Orlando Health 8/20*
8/20​
University of Arizona 8/20*
8/20​
University of Louisville 8/20***, 8/20*, 8/20****
8/20​
University of New Mexico 8/20**
8/20​
University of Wisconsin 8/20***
8/20​
Emory University 08/21***
8/21​
Detroit Medical Center/Wayne State University (Karmanos Cancer Institute) 8/22****
8/22​
Drexel 8/22***, 8/22*, 9/6****
8/22​
UAB 8/22***, 8/22****, 8/22*
8/22​
UPenn 8/22***
8/22​
Allegheny 8/23*
8/23​
Rush University 8/23**
8/23​
Tulane 8/23****
8/23​
University of Tennessee 8/9***, 8/9*, 8/9****, 8/23**
8/23​
Cleveland Clinic 8/24****
8/24​
Roger Williams 8/24*
8/24​
Wake Forest 8/24***, 8/27****
8/24​
WashU 8/24***
8/24​
UCSD 8/25***
8/25​
Baylor-Houston 8/17***, 8/17*, 9/4****
8/27​
Cooper Univ Hospital/CMSRU 8/27***, 8/27*, 9/12*
8/27​
Johns Hopkins 8/27***
8/27​
Lankenau 8/27***, 8/27*
8/27​
MSKCC 8/27***
8/27​
University of Illinois at Chicago 8/27****
8/27​
Columbia/NYP 8/28***
8/28​
Maimonides 9/4*
9/4​
Northwell/Hofstra 9/4***
9/4​
Scripps 9/11 ***
9/11​
Kaiser Permanente Nor Cal (SF) 9/12***
9/12​
University of Mississippi 9/12**** 9/13***
9/12​

Reactions: 6 users
So I’m guessing not to many interviews yet

So I’m guessing not to many interviews yet
Definitely looks that way. Statistically last year there were <20% offered this month, with more coming later than early. Most (first wave) seem to come early to mid august.

Cheers!

Invitations:
Yale 7/18 ***, 7/22*
UNC

Rejections:
UNC 7/19 ***

** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD
****DO

Confirmation from duke abt application being reviewed

On mobile, but Thomas Jefferson invite today!

Invitations:
Yale 7/18 ***, 7/19***, 7/22*
UNC
Thomas Jefferson 7/23***

Rejections:
UNC 7/19 ***

** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD
****DO

I just realized that I posted my question on program rankings in the wrong place so I am re-posting here. A thread from several years back listed the top programs as MD Anderson, Memorial Sloan Kettering, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, and the National Cancer Institute/NIH. Can someone advise if this still holds true? If so, why would you consider these “top” programs? How much is just branding?

I just realized that I posted my question on program rankings in the wrong place so I am re-posting here. A thread from several years back listed the top programs as MD Anderson, Memorial Sloan Kettering, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, and the National Cancer Institute/NIH. Can someone advise if this still holds true? If so, why would you consider these “top” programs? How much is just branding?
The question is just as ridiculous here as it was in it's own thread.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

These days so many of those awards can be purchased. It's all BS and branding, go where you feel comfortable.

Invitations:
UNC
Thomas Jefferson 7/23***

Rejections:
UNC 7/19 ***

** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD
****DO

UNC actually invited me AFTER sending me the rejection :p

• Wow
Those who received invitations, would you mind sharing your Step scores (just a ballpark)?

Just a little background abt me , I finished residency in 2015 and working as faculty and was a chief resident ,currently doing a masters in research scores are average 220 234 238 ongoing small research project

Invitations:
UNC
Thomas Jefferson 7/23***
NYU 7/23***

Rejections:
UNC 7/19 ***

** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD
****DO

Those who received invitations, would you mind sharing your Step scores (just a ballpark)?

Received 2 interviews thus far (UNC, Thomas Jefferson). I'm a DO graduate. USMLE Step 1 = 223; USMLE Step 2 = 240; COMLEX Level 1 = 556; COMLEX Level 2 = 665; COMLEX LEVEL 3 = 599.

Just a little background abt me , foreign graduate, I finished residency in 2015 and working as faculty and was a chief resident ,currently doing a masters in research scores are average 220 234 238 ongoing small research project

I am a current PGY7 at the NCI so let me take a crack at this.

The question that you should be asking is what kind of career are you looking to have. If you are considering a clinical job, many employers are interested in graduates from fancy institutions because patients may find such an oncologist attractive. A brand name is one factor that may instill confidence or desirability, particularly in the opaque world of health care delivery where patients often do not understand the product they are getting. The counter argument is that graduates from top academic programs often have less clinical experience than other graduates which may put them at a disadvantage when it comes to efficiently generating clinical RVUs for a practice. That's what I mean when you need to consider what kind of career you are looking to have. It is important to be honest with yourself.

I think the NCI is a bit different than the other programs on this list. It is a federally funded institution and a national resource. While we usually have one fellow a year pursue community/hospital practice, I think if that is your goal then you would be better served to go to a less academic program. For me, this has been the most wonderful experience of my professional career.

Pros
- Every patient seen is on a phase 1/2 clinical trial. No insurance is required. Tax dollars pay for everything. Patients are pre-screened and highly motivated. Fellows get screening packets the week before, patients get same day labs, imaging, path review, clinic visit, with a plan. All for free. It feels like cancer Disneyland.
- Rich history.
- Extremely smart peers and attendings. Many MD PhDs. Many are older with years of prior experience.
- Opportunity to write and run clinical trials as a fellow.
- Opportunity for basic science and translational research.
- My salary is $129,000 with great government benefits.
- No call. Day is over at 5 PM with no after hour pages.
- You are on the cutting edge of cancer therapeutics. Combination immunotherapy and cellular therapy experience.
- Highly desirable to industry after graduation.
- Opportunities for non-traditional careers. I am currently in a joint program with the FDA where I spend a whole year as a medical officer reviewing INDs/NDAs. The NCI pays for my salary during this time and it counts towards double boarding. Exposure to CTEP and other electives in the world of drug development.
- Ability to build relationships with leaders in the field.

Cons
- Lighter clinical requirements may make post-fellowship transition more difficult if your goal is to be a local community oncologist.
- Limited exposure to grant writing - everything is internally funded. This is both a pro and a con.

Spend the interview season doing some soul searching about what you want out of fellowship. Look at recent graduates and see where they end up. Don't discount the importance of branding, but assess what is the underlying basis of a fancy name, and ask what matters to you.

If anyone has specific questions about NCI, feel free to ask.

Reactions: 8 users
Hey everyone, never posted on this site before but have been lurking since applying to med schools.

Invitations:

Rejections:
UNC 7/19 ****

** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD
****DO

Best of luck to everyone

Invitations:
University of Iowa: 7/17 ***, 7/17*
UNC
Thomas Jefferson 7/23***, 7/23*
NYU 7/23***, 7/24 *

Rejections:
UNC 7/19 ***

** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD
****DO

Received program email stating ERAS unable to release visa status to the programs, the the interview categories can be only identified as AMG vs IMG this year, so I don’t think requiring visa sponsor will affect your package.

Received program email stating ERAS unable to release visa status to the programs, the the interview categories can be only identified as AMG vs IMG this year, so I don’t think requiring visa sponsor will affect your package.

It think this was clarified by the program. They are not able to identify if US citizen vs GC vs Asylee vs Refugee. It only states Authorized to work in US without a visa. Visa requirement is still identified by programs

Got a call from program coordinator today that they will offer me interview. Still waiting for confirmation email. I am not sure if this is usually done by programs.

Got a call from program coordinator today that they will offer me interview. Still waiting for confirmation email. I am not sure if this is usually done by programs.
I think it happens for residency interviews , so will not be uncommon.

Hm I actually haven't heard of that before! Interesting!
I guess until interview season is over I'll answer calls from phone numbers I don't recognize. Haha,