Hematology/Oncology 2019-2020 Fellowship Season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Posting this for a friend who is not on SDN:

Having a difficult time ranking these specific programs.

-NYP/Cornell
-Mayo Jacksonville
-Stonybrook
-UF Gainesville
-Northwell/LIJ

@gutonc would appreciate your input.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

How would you rank these? Any input will be appreciated and thanks in Advance.

Brown
UTSW
RWJMS
UMASS
U.Rochester
Stony Brook
Northwell/LIJ

Members don't see this ad :)
Another rejection by OHSU. Just leave me alone lol

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Brown
UTSW
RWJMS
UMASS
U.Rochester
Stony Brook
Northwell/LIJ

I think Rochester could stand to be ranked higher, unless you didn't like it on interview day (i.e., it was raining that day, or they were aloof to you), or if you hate the idea of putting chains on your tires every winter.

My barometer for fellowship was the same barometer I used for residency which has served me well: how nice and even keeled the people seem. The culture of a place is something you should be able to sniff out within 5 minutes of the day starting. That's why I think a lot of this "rank for me" posts are kind of silly.

If you can't see yourself going anywhere that won't guarantee you a K award, then you need to rank order on the basis of NIH funding.

I think Rochester could stand to be ranked higher, unless you didn't like it on interview day (i.e., it was raining that day, or they were aloof to you), or if you hate the idea of putting chains on your tires every winter.

My barometer for fellowship was the same barometer I used for residency which has served me well: how nice and even keeled the people seem. The culture of a place is something you should be able to sniff out within 5 minutes of the day starting. That's why I think a lot of this "rank for me" posts are kind of silly.

If you can't see yourself going anywhere that won't guarantee you a K award, then you need to rank order on the basis of NIH funding.

Thank you for your input. I agree with you that it's primarily the feel on the interview day and if you see yourself a well fit with everyone. Where would you put Rochester?

@gutonc your thoughts?

Yeah I am interested in GI or thoracic oncology. Is MSK or DFCI better in these fields?
See, here's the difference between residency and fellowship interviews and decision making. In residency, your goal is to gun to the "top", whatever that means to you, in order to not limit your options down the line. In fellowship, your goal is to find the program and mentors that will allow you to pursue the type of career you think you want.

So the question goes back to you: Which of those programs did you feel had the better clinical and research mentors in GI and thoracic, for YOU?

I know the answer for me. But it may not be the same as the answer for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have thoughts on a few Southern California programs:
USC, Olive View, Harbor, City of Hope, Loma Linda

How does USC and City of Hope compare? COH has great, but with 18 months of research, it has the least amount of clinical rotations of all the places I visited. COH was also the only place where it seems like you won't really have your own clinic patients since you're just rotating through subspecialty clinics.

With Harbor and Olive View being more community-based, how do they compare with Loma Linda?

And UCSF-Fresno isn't in SoCal, but just wondering what the opinion is between that and USC.

Being a resident in one of those programs I would say:

City of hope>usc>loma linda > harbor = olive view.

Reactions: 1 user

Brown
UTSW
RWJMS
UMASS
U.Rochester
Stony Brook
Northwell/LIJ
What did you like more about Brown than UTSW? You could make a case for ranking UTSW first on that list. Northwell could also go above Stony Brook but not sure what your interview experience was like.

How many people are sending rank #1 emails? And does it even matter ? Anyone not sending them?

How many people are sending rank #1 emails? And does it even matter ? Anyone not sending them?

I'm wondering about this, too. My #1 program only had interviews in September, so it's highly likely that their rank list is already done. I asked my PD today and waiting to hear back.

Members don't see this ad :)
It makes little to no difference. If it makes you feel better, send one. If it makes you feel sleezy, don't.
I just replied to the update emails from the programs and add extra words expressing my love.

I'm wondering about this, too. My #1 program only had interviews in September, so it's highly likely that their rank list is already done. I asked my PD today and waiting to hear back.

I have been advised to send one, and I did. On the trail I was told things like - "we want to hear from you and we consider a candidate's interest in our program when we rank". I think it can't really hurt - programs like to match people who want to come. But I don't think your ranking would magically go up because of an email.

It's similar to the emails that some of the PDs are sending out now to say you will match here if you choose to or you are a very strong candidate etc.

Last edited:
I have been advised to send one, and I did. On the trail I was told things like - "we want to hear from you and we consider a candidate's interest in our program when we rank". I think it can't really hurt - programs like to match people who want to come. But I don't think your ranking would magically go up because of an email.

It's similar to the emails that some of the PDs are sending out now to say you will match here if you choose to or you are a very strong candidate etc.
Which is to say that it's complete bull****.

Any input on University of Cincinnati program? I am interested in solid oncology and planning to work in medium tier academic center +\- private practice.

@gutonc: any opinion on
colorado vs ohsu. I like both programs a lot. Portland and colorado are also great places to live. Colorado appeared to
be a bigger program during interview but not sure.. Thanks for the input

Anyone have any insight into the 3 New Orleans programs? LSU and Tulane especially seemed a bit difficult to differentiate even on the interview days, although since they use the same continuity clinic and rotate together on BMT maybe the answer is that there isn’t a major difference.

Anyone interview at Loyola?
If so, do you recall the call schedule? My notes make it seem like you’d be on call the entire month of BMT (which doesn’t make sense).

Can anyone comment on the best programs for benign hematology exposure? Not applying this year. No geographic preference, prefer clinical research/exposure to heavy basic science emphasis.

Hopkins (except they want you to single board it seems)
Mayo
UPENN
UWashington
Vanderbilt
UNC

can i get someone's opinion on bu, umass, tufts. they're under the big names of dana farber, bidmc but how would someone rank them if one's interested in solids. thanks so much!

can i get someone's opinion on bu, umass, tufts. they're under the big names of dana farber, bidmc but how would someone rank them if one's interested in solids. thanks so much!
What was your impression during your interview and what is important for you? I think UMass is stronger for malignant hematology and transplant. For solids, I'd personally rank BU > UMass > Tufts.

I would like to hear the opinion of the members here. Based on the reputation, which of the following program are more well known? Where would fellow get good work-life balance and get good training at the same time?
Goal - Malignant Hematology
Leaning towards academic / but open to private practice.
1. Medical College of Wisconsin
2. VCU
3. Baylor
4. UC Irvine

@gutonc i am finalizing my ROL as well, do you think it will make difference if not interviewed by PD while he interviewed others? I know we still need to rank by our interest, but appreciate your advice.

Since Thomas Jefferson is acquiring FCCC, will it impact the heme/Onc fellowships at both places in anyway? Any idea?

Since Thomas Jefferson is acquiring FCCC, will it impact the heme/Onc fellowships at both places in anyway? Any idea?

The answer to your question is probably 'yes' with a few caveats.

First, the deal is not even finalized yet so the odds of it affecting the incoming class of fellows is small, if it even becomes official in the first place (this is a hundreds of millions dollar deal which creates potential for it to fall through).

Secondly, changes to health systems simply don't happen overnight. Jefferson will still be reliant on their fellows for staffing their hospitals, and FCCC will still be reliant on their fellows. I suspect any significant changes would take years to be felt in any major way. Is it possible that 5 years from now Jefferson staffs both facilities with Jefferson fellows? Sure. But all programs have already submitted their quotas for incoming July 2020 fellows which brings me back to my first point.

I used to think that @gutonc was a little harsh in his snarky responses on this board. After following more closely this year and reading some of these questions, I get it.

Now I’m starting to wonder how you rein in any sarcasm at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I used to think that @gutonc was a little harsh in his snarky responses on this board. After following more closely this year and reading some of these questions, I get it.

Now I’m starting to wonder how you reign in any sarcasm at all.

100% this. We are all so freaking neurotic.

Can someone help me decide between Penn and Columbia? Interested in academics, trials, drug development in solid tumors. I like NYC but not opposed to living in Philly. Columbia is certainly improving itself, recruiting new people, and they seem to have a well-rounded program. Penn seems to be more established, but I'm kind of concerned about finding mentorship based on what the fellows have been saying (that it can be more difficult than expected), which I think is a big deal. Not sure how much I want to do a Master's either.

I would put BU==Tufts > Umass. Umass seemed clinically heavy with little to none research (did not hear anything substantial that their fellows were doing as part of research)

I interviewed at UAB but didn't get to talk to any fellows and hence have no notes on their call schedule or rotation schedule :(
Can anyone share some info about their program!

Now I’m starting to wonder how you rein in any sarcasm at all.
By not spending much time here anymore. Otherwise I'd have to ban myself.

Reactions: 1 users
Would appreciate any advice or thoughts about the following programs. Interested in academics, solids, immunotherapy. I feel I could justify ranking the first four in any way. @gutonc

- Hopkins
- Mayo (very strong overall but not sure how strong their immunotherapy research is and not sure why it doesn't attract higher caliber fellows)
- BIDMC (do you think this should be higher? Harvard program but doesn't seem to be as good as the top tier programs to me. Correct me if I'm wrong)
- Yale
- UPMC
- Fox Chase (clinically felt better than any other program but not much immunotherapy research, unless you all know otherwise)
- Mount Sinai (cost of living seems prohibitive but do you think it's significantly better than UPMC?)
I would pick Hopkins if you are interested in immunotherapy.

I would agree that they're all relatively similar in rep/opportunities. But Philly and B'More over Portland? That's just nuts.
Yes. Baltimore and Philadelphia over Portland for those on the East Coast.

Anyone offer any thoughts about St. Elizabeth's Medical Center in Boston? Its academic affiliate is Tufts, but faculty is DFCI. Also not clear to me if they qualify for public loan forgiveness as the hospital is owned by Steward Health (private-profit), while GME is via Tufts. Thank you.

Anyone offer any thoughts about St. Elizabeth's Medical Center in Boston? Its academic affiliate is Tufts, but faculty is DFCI. Also not clear to me if they qualify for public loan forgiveness as the hospital is owned by Steward Health (private-profit), while GME is via Tufts. Thank you.

Wouldn't qualify for PSLF as you're employed by hospital as a fellow.

Good morning doctors, I understand that most of us are here with our certified list, just waiting... While waiting, I am wondering if I should rate Lehigh valley (Pennsylvania), above SUNI downstate and The Brooklyn Hospital (Uhmmmmm). I know we should rate based on our experience, but I feel that I had similar experience in those programs. I would greatly appreciate any input about those programs. Thanks!!!!

How to rank the following programs:

University of Cincinnati
West Virginia Uni

What are y'alls thoughts about CCF vs Emory? Interested in solids, academic vs hybrid practice . Thought the overall vibe was better at CCF, tbh... would you say about similar in quality/reputation/research/ etc?

@gutonc and @IMapplicant , Which one is better Dartmouth vs VCU. Any suggestions would be really helpful. Thanks
I didn't interview at Dartmouth so can't speak much to that. As far as VCU, I think it is especially great if you want to go into private practice - you work hard clinically, but learn a lot with the varied clinics (VA and academic starting year 1), inpatient rotations etc. PD is also pretty awesome and will work with you/flexible. Research seems to be growing.

I have no clue which one would be better for you. What are you looking for and what were your impressions during the interview?

I am interested in Solid, Dartmouth is Comprehensive, but Lebanon is a small town to live. VCU is clinically strong and Richmond nice area to live.

I didn't interview at Dartmouth so can't speak much to that. As far as VCU, I think it is especially great if you want to go into private practice - you work hard clinically, but learn a lot with the varied clinics (VA and academic starting year 1), inpatient rotations etc. PD is also pretty awesome and will work with you/flexible. Research seems to be growing.
Thanks for you reply. Location is the issue for me for Dartmouth, although it is a comprehensive care.