Hematology/Oncology 2019-2020 Fellowship Season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! Congrats to all on wrapping up the interview season.

Hoping to get some input on how to rank. Currently planning for an academic career in hematology (leaning more benign) but would like to keep all possible career paths open. Strong, diverse clinical training is important to me. Interested in outcomes-based/public health oriented research.

Thanks in advance!

UC Denver
Jefferson
UNC
OHSU
UPenn
UPMC
UTSW
Yale
U Washington

Members don't see this ad.

When do programs have to submit their rank list? I saw 11/6 is deadline for programs to change their quota. But not sure if this also means programs’ rank lists are due 11/6 or is it 11/20 like the applicants?

Last edited:
How is fox chase cancer center for malignant hem/transplant?

Members don't see this ad :)

Hoping to get some input on how to rank. Currently planning for an academic career in hematology (leaning more benign) but would like to keep all possible career paths open. Strong, diverse clinical training is important to me. Interested in outcomes-based/public health oriented research.

Thanks in advance!

UC Denver
Jefferson
UNC
OHSU
UPenn
UPMC
UTSW
Yale
U Washington
I would say Penn and Washington would rank at the top for hematology.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks in advance!

UC Denver
Jefferson
UNC
OHSU
UPenn
UPMC
UTSW
Yale
U Washington

If you are interested in outcomes/public health research, something you should look for in a program is access to a good public health department/school. I have a similar focus and among the programs I interviewed at last year the large "research-conglomerate" university programs with good public health departments stood out to me. I didn't interview at Penn or UW but those programs publish great heme-onc outcomes-oriented research. I did interview at UNC and they are very strong in benign heme and is doing a lot of interesting outcomes work (google Ethan Basch).

Hi Good evening,

Can you please comment in my last final list. I am more interested in solids, looking for a more clinical oriented career. Not geographic limitations, but if possible, would rather to stay close to NY. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

-NYU wintthrop
-U. Minnesota
-SUNY Downstate
-The Brooklyn hospital
-Lehigh Valley
-Roger Williams, Rhode island
-Vidant Medical Center, North Carolina
-University of Mississippi
-St. Joseph, Detroit.

Thank you and Good luck to everyone!!!

Hi Good evening,

Can you please comment in my last final list. I am more interested in solids, looking for a more clinical oriented career. Not geographic limitations, but if possible, would rather to stay close to NY. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

-NYU wintthrop
-U. Minnesota
-SUNY Downstate
-The Brooklyn hospital
-Lehigh Valley
-Roger Williams, Rhode island
-Vidant Medical Center, North Carolina
-University of Mississippi
-St. Joseph, Detroit.

Thank you and Good luck to everyone!!!

University of Minnesota is your best program, as you have been told a number of times, and there isn't even a close second. You can rank programs however you want but an overwhelming majority of people who look at your rank list will think Minnesota should be #1.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations to all for coming to the end. Need input from seniors for ranking. Interested in malignant hematology especially Myeloma and BMT.
Fox chase/temple
Case western
Moffit
MCW
U Utah
Roswell park
U Nebraska
VCU
AGH
MUSC
U Cincinnati
U Conn
U Louisville
Cooper

Hello everyone! I need some help with my ranking. Interested in Solids

-Karmanos
-Roswell Park
-Medical University of South Carolina
-University of Oklahoma
-Stony Brook
-Boston University
-Roger Williams

Thank you!

Would ranking UCSD over U Michigan be a mistake...? (Purely to avoid winters and gain beaches) I’m interested in solid onc. Liked both programs a lot.
Thanks!

At the larger places, mal heme can be subdivided into practitioners focused in either of acute leukemias vs. lymphomas vs. myelomas/plasma cell disorders. Not sure if you are differentiated. Many of these great mal heme programs will have great BMT programs as well since BMT is can either be curative or a hail mary strategy.

One can do clinical and health disparity research anywhere i feel as you would need collaboration and less of a research team - e.g team science

Since you may be swayed to solids, i would rank

Moffitt
CWRU (likely has broader range of solid tumor program...but i sense some turmoil at CWRU....i heard that it is poorly run but this needs verification) vs. Nebraska (known for lymphomas - james armitage who likely has or close to retirement, julie vose and younger faculty member like Matt lunning)
UAB vs. MCW toss up but i think i would prefer the south

Rest i don't know much about except that UK is a small program but big new and nice hospital. They are more popular for their basketball and that Cardiology is the name in town. Nothing much going on with their onc/heme program

Thank you so much :D Greatly appreciate your advice!!

Can anyone comment on these programs. Conflicted on how to rank these on my list.

UConn
WVU
UVM
SUNY Downstate

unsure if I want solid or liquid. Prefer to be in NYC area however not necessarily restricted if overall the program is better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone comment on these programs. Conflicted on how to rank these on my list.

UConn
WVU
UVM
SUNY Downstate

unsure if I want solid or liquid. Prefer to be in NYC area however not necessarily restricted if overall the program is better.
I'd swap UVM and WVU personally. But you can leave it as is and be fine.

Hello everyone! I need some help with my ranking. Interested in Solids

-Karmanos
-Roswell Park
-Medical University of South Carolina
-University of Oklahoma
-Stony Brook
-Boston University
-Roger Williams

Thank you!
Looks fine to me. I'd personally move BU up to 3 or 4, but perhaps the frigid winters in the Upper Midwest and Great Lakes are preferable to those in New England.

Could you please help me rank? Interested in solids, possibly GU or GI but not fully decided. No geographic preference.

1. Dartmouth
2. Boston University
3. Brown University
4. OHSU
5. UMass
6. Medical University of South Carolina
7. Tufts
8. University of Arizona
9. UConn
10. Saint Louis University
11. UMass Baystate
12. Medstar Georgeotown
13. University of Mississippi
14. SUNY Downstate

Could you please help me rank? Interested in solids, possibly GU or GI but not fully decided. No geographic preference.

1. Dartmouth
2. Boston University
3. Brown University
4. OHSU
5. UMass
6. Medical University of South Carolina
7. Tufts
8. University of Arizona
9. UConn
10. Saint Louis University
11. UMass Baystate
12. Medstar Georgeotown
13. University of Mississippi
14. SUNY Downstate
Seems fine if you liked them that way.

Congratulations to all for coming to the end. Need input from seniors for ranking. Interested in malignant hematology especially Myeloma and BMT.
Fox chase/temple
Case western
Moffit
MCW
U Utah
Roswell park
U Nebraska
VCU
AGH
MUSC
U Cincinnati
U Conn
U Louisville
Cooper

Any recommendations?

Hey guys, good luck with the upcoming match! Was wondering if I could get advise on the following programs. I am interested in malignant heme (leukemia and lymphoma > myeloma), BMT +/- CAR-T

Cornell
UT Southwestern
City of Hope
Moffitt
Uni of Utah/Huntsman
Uni of Maryland

Hi.... new here,
Would love input on how to rank Univ of West Virginia vs Roger Williams Medical Center-RI.
Thank you!

Can someone help me in ranking these programs?

-U.Miami/Jackson (Liked the faculty but fellows do continuity clinic in Jackson which is a county hospital and can get really busy)
-U.Cincy (I liked the program but I don't know why it's not good on paper ?? - Have some geographical preference to Ohio area too)
-U.Nebraska (They got rid of the taxing inpatient onc service and don't have any primary service now. Fellow spots increased to 3. But it's omaha)
-U.Mass

Anyone have any thoughts about Tulane program, I interviewed there really early in the season and I don’t think I asked all the questions I should have. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, appreciate it. Would you personally switch anything in this list?
I'd personally put OHSU, Brown and maybe BU above Dartmouth but I think you should rank the way you liked them and what you felt was a good fit for you.

How is fox chase cancer center for malignant hem/transplant?

In terms of mal heme, they are not considered top tier. They have some activity to get your feet wet
They have good all round training for the community oncologist
One may also transit to academics from there

Can someone help me in ranking these programs?

-U.Miami/Jackson (Liked the faculty but fellows do continuity clinic in Jackson which is a county hospital and can get really busy)
-U.Cincy (I liked the program but I don't know why it's not good on paper ?? - Have some geographical preference to Ohio area too)
-U.Nebraska (They got rid of the taxing inpatient onc service and don't have any primary service now. Fellow spots increased to 3. But it's omaha)
-U.Mass

You lose something getting rid of inpatient onc. It's a pity

Hey guys, good luck with the upcoming match! Was wondering if I could get advise on the following programs. I am interested in malignant heme (leukemia and lymphoma > myeloma), BMT +/- CAR-T

Cornell
UT Southwestern
City of Hope
Moffitt
Uni of Utah/Huntsman
Uni of Maryland

COH tops all
Moffitt
I like UTSW more than Cornell
Maryland and Huntsman probably similar

Hi all, still figuring out how to rank a few places on my ROL. Interested in mal heme but also really want to explore solids as well. Wondering specifically about:

- Vanderbilt
- Duke
- Columbia
- Yale
- Univ of Chicago

Thanks again!!

Also, saw several questions about certifying the ROL on NRMP. I can confirm that you can still edit and re-certify your ROL afterwards, up until 11/20.

Not sure why vandy so high up and chicago so low
But unlikely to go wrong with any program above

Would ranking UCSD over U Michigan be a mistake...? (Purely to avoid winters and gain beaches) I’m interested in solid onc. Liked both programs a lot.
Thanks!

Given your preference. I would choose UCSD without any second thoughts

I'd personally put OHSU, Brown and maybe BU above Dartmouth but I think you should rank the way you liked them and what you felt was a good fit for you.
Thank you. Any reason why you chose BU and Brown above Dartmouth? I was under the impression that Dartmouth was a larger program and NCI designated (for whatever it's worth). Do you see something advantageous with BU and Brown that put them above Dartmouth? Would be interested in knowing your thoughts. Thank you.

In terms of mal heme, they are not considered top tier. They have some activity to get your feet wet
They have good all round training for the community oncologist
One may also transit to academics from there

Thank you so much for your reply.
How would you rank these for malignant hem/BMT and cellular therapies in particular
Fox chase/temple
Case western
Moffit
MCW
U Utah
Roswell park
U Nebraska
VCU
AGH
MUSC
U Cincinnati
U Conn
U Louisville
Cooper

Thank you for your help

The NCI has is truly a different beast on it's own. I think the NCI has evolved over the years. Initially, it was the center of cancer therapeutic during the infancy of the field and has produced many leaders in the field such as devita, george wilding, nancy davidson and others. But as time evolved, the role of NCI has changed. Industries are running trials and doing their own preclinical discovery on their own. CTEP trials are almost sort of relegated to the "reject pile".

During my time, the NCI and NHLBI were separate programs but many from the NCI have left now to include tito fojo, ola langren and others such as kieron dunleavy. At the NHLBI, i recall rick childs doing experimental transplantations with haplo-cords and they also have a strong aplastic anemia/MDS group with Dr young.

Clinically, they complete their rotations at georgetown or washington hospital (walter reed in the past) who also have their own home fellows. I wonder whether there is less ownership during these external rotations.

If the school of oncology is akin to aviation. To me, the regular fellowship programs are like flight school teaching one how to fly the 747s, cesena's and other aircrafts safely and effectively. The NIH (now combining the NCI and NHLBI) is like being at NASA trying to find a way to fly a craft to the moon with a focus on the science, process and development. One may understand more about the fundamental process of drug evaluation, early phase experimental clinical trials but may find it challenging if their goal were to be multi-tool commercial or private pilot.

Others who know more about the current state can provide updates

I like the NASA analogy. NCI and NHLBI are combined into a single fellowship program currently, although funding for individual fellows is still from one institute or the other. Fellows can work with investigators from either branch. Applicants need to consider what their professional goals are after training. If this were the legal world... do they want to practice law in a solo practice in their home town? In a large national law firm in a major city? In the Dept of Justice or US attorney office? As a federal judge? There are many paths in oncology and personally, I would rather fly the Space Shuttle than a 727.

I like the NASA analogy. NCI and NHLBI are combined into a single fellowship program currently, although funding for individual fellows is still from one institute or the other. Fellows can work with investigators from either branch. Applicants need to consider what their professional goals are after training. If this were the legal world... do they want to practice law in a solo practice in their home town? In a large national law firm in a major city? In the Dept of Justice or US attorney office? As a federal judge? There are many paths in oncology and personally, I would rather fly the Space Shuttle than a 727.
I love that your analogy is to 2 "planes" that no longer fly.

Hi guys! Congrats to everyone on finishing their interviews!
I was wondering if I can get you guys' input on my ROL. I'm interested in solids. Not sure if I'm going to academic vs. private (with the option to still do clinical trials). Ultimately I want to take care of patients.

What do you guys think I should rank first, second, third?

Columbia vs MSKCC vs NYU

Columbia: solid program and very balanced
MSKCC: can get more clinic time if I wanted. I think I can find a mentor there
NYU: very clinical, not sure too much about how much research I can do but the PD seemed to be really supportive

Thank you all!

Finalizing my ROL: Confused between Colorado vs OHSU. Both seems to be good places to train. Good mentors. Undecided on particular malignancy but wants academics. If anybody can give their 2 cents about this? Thanks

Any thoughts for solid tumor between MSK and DFCI? I find them so similar and can't tell the difference. Both seem to have great mentorship and research opportunities. @gutonc

Any thoughts for solid tumor between MSK and DFCI? I find them so similar and can't tell the difference. Both seem to have great mentorship and research opportunities. @gutonc
Don't think there's any significant difference between the two on a large scale. Rank based on faculty mentorship in the tumor type(s) you're interested in.

Both are top-notch programs. It depends on specific mentors you are interested in working with and what your future goals are. Do you have any specific research/career interests?

In my mind, DFCI has the advantage of working with anyone at Harvard. MSK has the advantage that when you finish and are looking for jobs, you're in a large city that has multiple top-tier institutions. You can find excellent faculty positions in the city. At DFCI you're limited because it's DFCI and that's pretty much it. There's a bottleneck of instructors and assistant professors in Boston.

Does anyone know the process for scrambling? Just in case :)

I got a rejection from Mt. Sinai today. What the ...?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Both are top-notch programs. It depends on specific mentors you are interested in working with and what your future goals are. Do you have any specific research/career interests?

In my mind, DFCI has the advantage of working with anyone at Harvard. MSK has the advantage that when you finish and are looking for jobs, you're in a large city that has multiple top-tier institutions. You can find excellent faculty positions in the city. At DFCI you're limited because it's DFCI and that's pretty much it. There's a bottleneck of instructors and assistant professors in Boston.

Yeah I am interested in GI or thoracic oncology. Is MSK or DFCI better in these fields?

Yeah I am interested in GI or thoracic oncology. Is MSK or DFCI better in these fields?
I meant really specific like the academic oncologists at those places (ALK mutated lung cancer for example) or specific lab interests if that's your thing. There are probably more than 50 GI/thoracic onc faculty at each of them so both would be amazing institutions to train at. Even if you did have a very narrow interest that can always change. I'd rank based on the other factors that may be important to you (city, etc) and your gut feeling. You can't go wrong.

Really nervous if I will match or not. Applied to 15 programs and got 6 interviews. I am an AMG from a community based program. Definitely overestimated my competitiveness. Hoping for the best.

Best of luck everyone. 15 days until we finalize our match list!

Really nervous if I will match or not. Applied to 15 programs and got 6 interviews. I am an AMG from a community based program. Definitely overestimated my competitiveness. Hoping for the best.

Statistically, you're over 90% likely to match. Good luck!

As an AMG, you can match with 3 interviews, nothing to worry.