Hepatitis B vaccination - U of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwsung

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

for those of you accepted to Michigan, it's about the vaccination of Hep B.
I had the shots (primary + booster) when I was young more than 10 yrs ago,
will this be ok?

Also, I had shots in Korea; it was a requirement for immigration to Canada
the immunization record is in English though... will this be sufficient for admission?

I left a voice message for Laura but no response yet..

anyone in similar situation as I am?

Any advice welcomed~!!

Members don't see this ad.

Have a titer (sp?) done. This will tell you if you need to have the the vacination a second time.

I think you've got the right idea by calling mich and asking them. I know that once you've had the series of three hepatitis shots you shouldn't need to have them boostered, but you only had two shots, and in a foreign country, so that might or might not make a difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends...I've talked to my doctor before and he said that the Hep B vaccine usually is effective for 7 years from the last injection. But to make sure, they will do a titer and I believe that the school will require you to get the titer as well if you have the injection not within these several years.

so you guys are refering to the blood test right
the one the family doctor does to make sure that I can still make antibody against the virus?

mwsung said:
so you guys are refering to the blood test right
the one the family doctor does to make sure that I can still make antibody against the virus?

Yes, the titer, you will need to take the blood test and then send it to the lab and within a few days they will have a report on the Antibody count in your system to see if you are still within the acceptable limit.

i have had to have the hep b vacc series twice now because i'm not converting :mad: i need to have it rechecked again soon

my concern is what if I have to get the shot, and can't finish all 3 shots before the school starts..??

does it negatively affect on me..?

and, those who get accepted late like May or June and they also have to get Hep B, how does it work for them..?

mwsung said:
my concern is what if I have to get the shot, and can't finish all 3 shots before the school starts..??

does it negatively affect on me..?

and, those who get accepted late like May or June and they also have to get Hep B, how does it work for them..?

At 99% of the schools you are fine as long as you BEGIN the series (ie, have the first shot done) prior to matriculation.

mwsung said:
it's about the vaccination of Hep B.
I had the shots (primary + booster) when I was young more than 10 yrs ago,
will this be ok?

Also, I had shots in Korea; it was a requirement for immigration to Canada
the immunization record is in English though... will this be sufficient for admission?

Any advice welcomed~!!

I just had my 2nd HEP B shot last week. HEP B vaccination is a THREE shot series. They gave me an info sheet from the CDC that says the following:

"2nd dose, 1 to 2 mos after 1st dose.
3rd dose, 4 to 6 months after 1st dose.
-2nd dose must be given at least one month after the first dose.
-3rd dose must be given at least 2 months after 2nd dose, and 4 months after the 1st

Also: If you miss a dose or get behind schedule, get the next dose as soon as you can. There is no need to start over.

1 in 4 adults will have soreness in the arm.
1 in 100 adults will have mild to moderate fever."

I hope this helps you and curious others.