Hey Caver! (the equipment comparing thread, with pics)

Started by Epic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Biased towards what?
Their own personal preference.


I prefer them to be 6 feet or taller, light-eyed, slender, and with longer dark hair. You, on the other hand, may prefer something totally different. Hopefully you get my point. 😉

It's like asking WVU who's going to win the NCAA National Championship this year...
 
Their own personal preference.

Well...they're actually polar opposites about most things (including those outside of photography). It's good to get differing opinions...and they generally know where I stand too.

I prefer them to be 6 feet or taller, light-eyed, slender, and with longer dark hair. You, on the other hand, may prefer something totally different. Hopefully you get my point. 😉

lol...actually, i have no idea where you're going with that one...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well...they're actually polar opposites about most things (including those outside of photography). It's good to get differing opinions...and they generally know where I stand too.
Well... it's agonizing for us to watch. I would rather see two girls argue about pink vs purple than Epic vs Cject.
Honestly, I don't think anyone knows where you stand.
lol...actually, i have no idea where you're going with that one...
That's how I like my men.
 
What do you want to know my opinion about?
Let us know what's most important to you.
I wish I knew more about cameras, mainly for the sake of this thread. Shoot... maybe I could do a little research in my free time to give you another opinion.

I just don't see the point in having them nitpick the differences between brands.

Haha, ok. How did that come into the conversation??? I was just talking about lenses. 😛
It's just for entertainment value. I could have made up another analogy, but that one seemed amusing. :hardy:


I don't mean to run off, but I need to go. Unfortunately, I have another long day tomorrow.
 
Really? You'd go L on the 100-400 first? I'm still waivering..but considering the 24-70mm f/2.8L.

You don't need L for prime range zoom. Tamron and Sigma put out really nice lenses...all less than $400. This will be your walkaround lens. You'll also use this for portrait...unless you get a 85mm 1.8 which is super sharp. And cheap.

Tamron 18-50 is by far one of the sharpest I've seen. I have the 28-75 Tamron.

As far as the tele zoom goes, definitely get an L lens. I think 100-400 will give you the best range for outdoor stuff you do. And a UWA for outdoor scenery stuff you do. Tokina 12-24 would have been my choice except I came across a brand new 17-40 L for $400. Cheaper than Tokina.
 

Sweet...thank you! I've been reading POTN, but hadn't stumbled on that thread with the archive list.

Well, I looked into Tamron's 17-50...you're right, it looks incredibly sharp. But one of the things that's holding me back...I'm not sold on getting anything that won't be compatible with a FF sensor. I mean, like you said, $400 for a standard zoom that's that crisp...kind of hard to go wrong. Canon's EF-S 17-55 is about $1K, but it has IS. Not worth it solely for that though; not like you keep it on all the time anyways. So that's why I'm considering the 24-70 L.

Oh well, like you said...I've got a lot of thinking/studying to do 😀

One that I'm almost sure I'll get is Canon's 85 f/1.8 (obviously not the 1.2L)...that one definitely fits my shooting style.
 
Trigger...pulled! 😀

:meanie::meanie:

You're in for it now... You'll need:

Flash...get 580 EX II
Photoshop
External HD
Tripod
Remote Trigger
Lenses, lenses, and lenses..
and a Big Camera Case.

I don't think you'll gain much by getting a 24-70 L for $1100...when you can get 3 lenses for that price. But you will appreciate the L and IS lenses in telephoto range.

And make sure your primary lens has f stop of 2.8 or less. If not, it'll struggle with autofocus in dark. Make up your mind about lenses quick..then buy them and forget about it. Too many people become equipment ****** and their interest turns to collecting lenses instead becoming a photographer.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't do much different with the lens collection. Only lens missing from the list is 100-400.

Have fun shopping!
 
:meanie::meanie:

You're in for it now...

Tell me about it...I've charged more than $2K in the last 18 hours alone! 😱:meanie:


You'll need:

Flash...get 580 EX II
Photoshop
External HD
Tripod
Remote Trigger
Lenses, lenses, and lenses..
and a Big Camera Case.

I don't think you'll gain much by getting a 24-70 L for $1100...when you can get 3 lenses for that price. But you will appreciate the L and IS lenses in telephoto range.

And make sure your primary lens has f stop of 2.8 or less. If not, it'll struggle with autofocus in dark. Make up your mind about lenses quick..then buy them and forget about it. Too many people become equipment ****** and their interest turns to collecting lenses instead becoming a photographer.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't do much different with the lens collection. Only lens missing from the list is 100-400.

Have fun shopping!

Believe it or not, first glass coming is actually the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5. Was going to go with the Sigma or Tokina on the UW...but I got a really good price for the Canon, so what the heck.

And as you can tell, after everything I said...I bucked the whole not wanting to go EF-S. So many of them compliment the 40D...when I switch to FF, I'll just sell them, or probably give the set to my Dad.

But after everything I've read, I'm still not sure about my primary. I may even be leaning towards the 17-55 f/2.8 IS now. My favorite lens on the Nikon was a 28-90 f/2.8-3.5. On a 1.6X...that would be pretty close. And now that I think about it, the IS would be nice for situations when I don't want to lug around a tripod. I want a fast one though...definitely 2.8 or less. Pretty sure I'm not going with the L though.

I won't fester too long...Penn Camera's got a sale/expo this weekend that I'll check out.

You really think I should get a 100-400 right off the bat though? I'm thinking the 70-200 like yours would compliment a little better...400's a little much, no?

Why don't you get the 400 2.8 prime? 😛
 
Tell me about it...I've charged more than $2K in the last 18 hours alone! 😱:meanie:




Believe it or not, first glass coming is actually the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5. Was going to go with the Sigma or Tokina on the UW...but I got a really good price for the Canon, so what the heck.

And as you can tell, after everything I said...I bucked the whole not wanting to go EF-S. So many of them compliment the 40D...when I switch to FF, I'll just sell them, or probably give the set to my Dad.

But after everything I've read, I'm still not sure about my primary. I may even be leaning towards the 17-55 f/2.8 IS now. My favorite lens on the Nikon was a 28-90 f/2.8-3.5. On a 1.6X...that would be pretty close. And now that I think about it, the IS would be nice for situations when I don't want to lug around a tripod. I want a fast one though...definitely 2.8 or less. Pretty sure I'm not going with the L though.

I won't fester too long...Penn Camera's got a sale/expo this weekend that I'll check out.

You really think I should get a 100-400 right off the bat though? I'm thinking the 70-200 like yours would compliment a little better...400's a little much, no?

Why don't you get the 400 2.8 prime? 😛
f2.8 is pricey as heck for a n00b. But hey, if you got the means... 🙂 congrats
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took this with my "fancy" Canon sd1000. A big 👍 if you know where it was taken.
IMG_138_0354_025.jpg
 
I'm thinking about joining the 'big leagues' and I'll most likely end up with a Rebel XTi
How's this for a deal? http://newjersey.craigslist.org/pho/693008698.html

Any help/ideas you guys have would be great.. thanks

Cool!

I haven't checked out the XTi, so I'm not sure what kind of deals are out there for one. Hopefully Epic can chime in and tell you what he thinks. And here's a good forum he recommended...tons of great info: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

If you do decide to consider the 40D, you can get one now (with the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens) for $1070. Not bad!!

Have fun looking and deciding what you want. But be careful, it can get addicting. 😉 Here's what I've gotten so far...and it's been a blast shooting 😀

40D body
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
Tamron SP AF17-50mm f/2.8
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Canon TC80N3 Timer Remote Control
Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod + 488RC2 Ballhead

This weekend I'm going to rent the 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS and the 70-200mm f/4 L IS...I haven't decided which one to get. 😎
 
Reviewing the ad it appears that there's not much than what would come with the camera if I were to buy it new, and a friend of mine would sell me his for ~450
 
Bringing this thread back 👍

Just picked up the 70-200mm f/2.8 L (not the IS one...not too big of a fan). This thing shoots like a dream, and it's about the weight of a premature baby.

Now I just need that rumored Canon 50D to come out so I don't feel like I'm screwing the camera onto the lens (and not vice versa).

Now I just need to work on using this thing w/out getting tired. Time to go lift some weights. :hardy:
 
I picked it up @ B&H while traversing around NYC. I actually bought a new backpack for it since I really did not want to walk around the city with a bag that screamed "HEY. STEAL ME. EXPENSIVE EQUIPMENT WITHIN."

It came w/ the ring mount & lens hood...I've been BSing around with the lens, nothing worth posting yet =(
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently found out I'm going to Australia for Christmas (to see family) and I decided I'm buying at least a Rebel XTi and a lens before I go 🙂
 
Here you go Spiriva...my first somewhat decent shot with the 70-200mm L

2805466897_1a94f57342.jpg


How's the 10-22 working out for you? That's got to be my 2nd favorite lens out of the bunch. I use it to trick buyers/tenants into thinking my properties are bigger than they actually are, muahhahaa.

I don't know if I'm going to be able to comfortably take this 70-200 with me when I go around Europe...I'd usually be able to hide my gear pretty well in my north face backpack, but now I have this small baby with me...I'll either have to leave it or look even more like a tourist.

You should look into the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, makes for a great prime/normal lens on the 1.6 crops.
 
Last edited:
Here you go Spiriva...my first somewhat decent shot with the 70-200mm L

2805466897_1a94f57342.jpg


How's the 10-22 working out for you? That's got to be my 2nd favorite lens out of the bunch. I use it to trick buyers/tenants into thinking my properties are bigger than they actually are, muahhahaa.

I don't know if I'm going to be able to comfortably take this 70-200 with me when I go around Europe...I'd usually be able to hide my gear pretty well in my north face backpack, but now I have this small baby with me...I'll either have to leave it or look even more like a tourist.

You should look into the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, makes for a great prime/normal lens on the 1.6 crops.

Ha! What a cute shot! Is that your son? He's adorable... 🙂

Oh my gosh, I absolutely love the ultra wide...it's so much fun. Definitely think I've taken the most creative shots so far with that lens of the bunch.

I know what you mean about the 70-200 though. That's why I opted for the f/4 over the 2.8. It's half the weight and I knew I wouldn't want to lug 3+ lbs on that lens alone around Europe, etc. Have you checked out Crumpler bags? They have a great seleciton of backbacks that don't look like camera bags at all. I ended up going with a girlier Jill.e. bag though 😛
 
Last edited:
haha oh no that's my nephew devouring his food down in the shot.

I really liked how the f/4 version of the lens balanced the XTi perfectly. I was just weary about f/4 since I have the 75-300mm f/3.5-5.6 and I've only been able to use that in bright sunlight. Then again, if you're walking around Europe during the day, then this lens would be perfect.

The crowning moment with my 10-22 was flying in a helicopter out in Hawaii...not only did I get great shots while strapped into the seat with limited mobility, I was able to turn the camera around and get my then-fiance in the shot as well. The problem with this lens is...going ultra wide can look tired after a while, plus the distortion on anyone other than a child looks funny if they're up close.

As for bags...I have the low key North Face Surge, makes me look like a student. I use have 2 Lowe Pro's and a Mountainsmith bag...I kind of bought them without thinking, as I needed them. I really need to consolidate them. My wife just bought a Shootsac (http://www.shootsac.com/) but hasn't done any work with it, I'll report back on how it goes :hardy:
 
haha oh no that's my nephew devouring his food down in the shot.

I really liked how the f/4 version of the lens balanced the XTi perfectly. I was just weary about f/4 since I have the 75-300mm f/3.5-5.6 and I've only been able to use that in bright sunlight. Then again, if you're walking around Europe during the day, then this lens would be perfect.

The crowning moment with my 10-22 was flying in a helicopter out in Hawaii...not only did I get great shots while strapped into the seat with limited mobility, I was able to turn the camera around and get my then-fiance in the shot as well. The problem with this lens is...going ultra wide can look tired after a while, plus the distortion on anyone other than a child looks funny if they're up close.

As for bags...I have the low key North Face Surge, makes me look like a student. I use have 2 Lowe Pro's and a Mountainsmith bag...I kind of bought them without thinking, as I needed them. I really need to consolidate them. My wife just bought a Shootsac (http://www.shootsac.com/) but hasn't done any work with it, I'll report back on how it goes :hardy:

70-200 f2.8 with IS is much better yo... I have it with me here in San Antone... and for wide angle... try 17-40L...oh wait..it works better with Full Frame!!! :meanie:
 
I still don't know whether I like IS or not. I have it on my 28-135...it's off half the time. Weird, I've had that thing for a year, you'd think I'd have formed an opinion by now.

And eh...full frame, maybe later. It's all about the glass :luck:
 
haha oh no that's my nephew devouring his food down in the shot.

I really liked how the f/4 version of the lens balanced the XTi perfectly. I was just weary about f/4 since I have the 75-300mm f/3.5-5.6 and I've only been able to use that in bright sunlight. Then again, if you're walking around Europe during the day, then this lens would be perfect.

The crowning moment with my 10-22 was flying in a helicopter out in Hawaii...not only did I get great shots while strapped into the seat with limited mobility, I was able to turn the camera around and get my then-fiance in the shot as well. The problem with this lens is...going ultra wide can look tired after a while, plus the distortion on anyone other than a child looks funny if they're up close.

As for bags...I have the low key North Face Surge, makes me look like a student. I use have 2 Lowe Pro's and a Mountainsmith bag...I kind of bought them without thinking, as I needed them. I really need to consolidate them. My wife just bought a Shootsac (http://www.shootsac.com/) but hasn't done any work with it, I'll report back on how it goes :hardy:

No doubt f/2.8 is better glass, but like you said, I rarely do indoor at those lengths so no need for it right now. If I need it, the 85 f/1.8 is a sweet one too! And I don't do a lot of fast-action either.

Also purchased an extender and the 580EX II, but those are still in the box and I haven't had a chance to play around with'em yet. Maybe this weekend 🙂
 
dood... you really believe that?

Then why do commercial photogs insist on medium format...

alright...if you're bringing up commercial photog, full frame digital is crap! 35mm film is considered a "lossy" format too. Time to bust out the hasselblad systems and leave this canon vs. nikon debate in the dust.

My photos go on flickr, facebook, and SDN...I make a print about as often as the olympics come to town. When I shoot an event, 3/4 of the images end up on the web, the other 1/4 are printed smaller than 8x10. Buying a med. format system would be purely idiotic, but be my guest if you shoot for an ad agency or something. This is a hobby with an occasional paid shoot on the side, don't get it twisted.

Hmmm.... 85 looks fun. I still think you should try the 30mm 1.4 I mentioned 😍

hey where'd that wide column shot you had go?
 
Last edited:
Hmmm.... 85 looks fun. I still think you should try the 30mm 1.4 I mentioned 😍

hey where'd that wide column shot you had go?

Well, since you insist, I'll definitely read about the 30. I'm trying to limit the number of lenses I get though...and avoid this inevitable lens envy that seems to catch everyone. 😛

That shot was of my sister...I told her I'd keep it up shortly to show you guys a shot with the wide angle. Not get a good enough look at it? 😉
 
Last edited:
Here's some inspiration for all of you squinty, one-eyed, caging an image in a square the size of a Triscuit, shooters.

The Weather Channel's Best Photos Ever Gallery
 
Well, since you insist, I'll definitely read about the 30. I'm trying to limit the number of lenses I get though...and avoid this inevitable lens envy that seems to catch everyone. 😛

That shot was of my sister...I told her I'd keep it up shortly to show you guys a shot with the wide angle. Not get a good enough look at it? 😉

haha oh no i was going to show it to someone. as for the 30...I just noticed you didn't have a normal in your stash. I would recommend the "plastic fantastic" 50mm f/1.8, but that ends up looking more like an 85 w/ the crop factor.

2189257332_19da8e8d51.jpg


It's like an $80 lens, feels like one, but shoots pretty well (the 50 I mean).
 
haha oh no i was going to show it to someone. as for the 30...I just noticed you didn't have a normal in your stash. I would recommend the "plastic fantastic" 50mm f/1.8, but that ends up looking more like an 85 w/ the crop factor.

2189257332_19da8e8d51.jpg


It's like an $80 lens, feels like one, but shoots pretty well (the 50 I mean).

I'll PM you the pic. And let me know what you think about the conversion. It's the first time I've tried doing that on photoshop.

Oh yeah! That must be the "nifty fifty" 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You just learned how to use "Saturation" and "Convert to BW" ?????😛

😛 Nooooo...but I'm doing more technical stuff than just clicking a program's "convert to BW" button...gradient map, filtering the channels, curves layers, etc.

How do you do it? I would actually like to see how your technique comes out though. I'm new at digital pp 🙂
 
😛 Nooooo...but I'm doing more technical stuff than just clicking a program's "convert to BW" button...gradient map, filtering the channels, curves layers, etc.

How do you do it? I would actually like to see how your technique comes out though. I'm new at digital pp 🙂

If I told you, I would have to kill you.