Hey Caver! (the equipment comparing thread, with pics)

Started by Epic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, why don't you mamby pambies take some pictures of stuff that isn't lame. Nobody cares about a closeup of a tree. You aren't Terrence Malick for christ's sake.
I don't get it either. It's neurotic and pointless, except for the technical people involved in camera lens production.
 
Wow. This may be the most pretentious things I've read on this web forum. It's a ****ing tree. It's lame. I've got thousands of them all around me. They aren't interesting in and of themselves and never will be. Now if you had a frog with it's tongue extended, about to engulf a fly on top of said tree...hells yeah.

Though ironically, the aforementioned Terrence Malick made a film once whose main motif was the juxtaposition of serene nature...boring shots of trees...with brutality and dehumanization....and it's one of my favorite works of philosophy I've ever experienced. Perhaps I do like trees. A Hollywood movie dipping into existentialism...**** was deep. But this reminded me of that...except more vacuous and boring...I mean it's a damned tree. Come on. There needs to be some sort of point of reference or something, hell.

Photography doesn't begin or end with pictures of a tree. Rather, it allows us to capture a moment in time. I have the freedom to choose my subject as I wish. I can photograph a tree, person, sunrise, or stars at night. We're not forcing you to like it nor care.. but to each his own.

And when I get a chance to get a shot of a frog zotting a fly, I will.
 
Photography doesn't begin or end with pictures of a tree. Rather, it allows us to capture a moment in time. I have the freedom to choose my subject as I wish. I can photograph a tree, person, sunrise, or stars at night. We're not forcing you to like it nor care.. but to each his own.

I'm just offering a suggestion. Which is to be less lame. I just hate to see your fancy cameras being wasted on a damned plant.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm just offering a suggestion. Which is to be less lame. I just hate to see your fancy cameras being wasted on a damned plant.

How can you not appreciate ginko.. a plant that can't be classified.. with the female plant bearing stinky fruit yet people think it improves the memory. If anyone, I thought you would be fascinated with it. It's an oddity.
 
How can you not appreciate ginko.. a plant that can't be classified.. with the female plant bearing stinky fruit yet people think it improves the memory. If anyone, I thought you would be fascinated with it. It's an oddity.

I don't care what the hell a lame plant looks like. Pharmacology is a different thing entirely. If you can figure our a way to take a picture of said ginko molecule binding and causing a molecular response in brain tissue, you'll have my eyes. They make a lens for that, right?
 
A better picture would have been of a photographer risking his/her life by the side of the interstate to take a picture of a common, every day tree.

Just because you take a picture of anything you want whenever you want, it doesn't mean that that moment in time is valuable. For example, I could take a thousand pictures, back to back, of my bookcase. Unless there is some dust floating in the air in a cool way in one of the shots, then each picture will be exacting the same and indistinct, i.e. pointless.

You might think you have some kind of ownership of the tree after you have a picture of it, but that's not the case because I could pull the same stupid stunt tomorrow and get the same picture.

If the peacock looks like it wants to eat the bug or do whatever with the bug and you can get a shot of the peacock or bug's expression, then yeah, it would probably be a cool picture. The interaction between the peacock and the bug is probably unique.


You people need to take some art or photography classes.
 
A better picture would have been of a photographer risking his/her life by the side of the interstate to take a picture of a common, every day tree.

Just because you take a picture of anything you want whenever you want, it doesn't mean that that moment in time is valuable. For example, I could take a thousand pictures, back to back, of my bookcase. Unless there is some dust floating in the air in a cool way in one of the shots, then each picture will be exacting the same and indistinct, i.e. pointless.

You might think you have some kind of ownership of the tree after you have a picture of it, but that's not the case because I could pull the same stupid stunt tomorrow and get the same picture.

If the peacock looks like it wants to eat the bug or do whatever with the bug and you can get a shot of the peacock or bug's expression, then yeah, it would probably be a cool picture. The interaction between the peacock and the bug is probably unique.


You people need to take some art or photography classes.

Are you serious?
 
A better picture would have been of a photographer risking his/her life by the side of the interstate to take a picture of a common, every day tree.

Just because you take a picture of anything you want whenever you want, it doesn't mean that that moment in time is valuable. For example, I could take a thousand pictures, back to back, of my bookcase. Unless there is some dust floating in the air in a cool way in one of the shots, then each picture will be exacting the same and indistinct, i.e. pointless.

You might think you have some kind of ownership of the tree after you have a picture of it, but that's not the case because I could pull the same stupid stunt tomorrow and get the same picture.

If the peacock looks like it wants to eat the bug or do whatever with the bug and you can get a shot of the peacock or bug's expression, then yeah, it would probably be a cool picture. The interaction between the peacock and the bug is probably unique.


You people need to take some art or photography classes.

:laugh::laugh:
 
A better picture would have been of a photographer risking his/her life by the side of the interstate to take a picture of a common, every day tree.

Next time I do, I'll let you know and you can take a picture of me doing just that.

Just because you take a picture of anything you want whenever you want, it doesn't mean that that moment in time is valuable. For example, I could take a thousand pictures, back to back, of my bookcase. Unless there is some dust floating in the air in a cool way in one of the shots, then each picture will be exacting the same and indistinct, i.e. pointless.

Me taking a picture of an object is not to drive a point across to you.

You might think you have some kind of ownership of the tree after you have a picture of it, but that's not the case because I could pull the same stupid stunt tomorrow and get the same picture.

Is that right? Then why is it that no one can duplicate Ansel Adams work fully knowing the exact location, time and techical data of a photograph?

The tree I took a picture of on Sunday no longer has leaves. And I haven't even posted the picture of the tree. Yet, you're going to duplicate a same picture? I don't think so.

If the peacock looks like it wants to eat the bug or do whatever with the bug and you can get a shot of the peacock or bug's expression, then yeah, it would probably be a cool picture. The interaction between the peacock and the bug is probably unique.

Yet peacock eats bugs all the time.. so differet bug, differet day, but same scenario..so what's your point?


You people need to take some art or photography classes.

Oh boy... thanks for trolling.
 
I'm just offering a suggestion. Which is to be less lame. I just hate to see your fancy cameras being wasted on a damned plant.
What's the difference between a damned plant and a damned frog?
They both live, "breathe", reproduce, etc.
 
Aight.. the lens got here. It's heavy. Push/Pull is not such a great idea for an heavy lens. I prefer turn zoom like 70-200. I would go shoot the moon but it's crescent and overcast.
 
A better picture would have been of a photographer risking his/her life by the side of the interstate to take a picture of a common, every day tree.

Just because you take a picture of anything you want whenever you want, it doesn't mean that that moment in time is valuable. For example, I could take a thousand pictures, back to back, of my bookcase. Unless there is some dust floating in the air in a cool way in one of the shots, then each picture will be exacting the same and indistinct, i.e. pointless.

You might think you have some kind of ownership of the tree after you have a picture of it, but that's not the case because I could pull the same stupid stunt tomorrow and get the same picture.

If the peacock looks like it wants to eat the bug or do whatever with the bug and you can get a shot of the peacock or bug's expression, then yeah, it would probably be a cool picture. The interaction between the peacock and the bug is probably unique.


You people need to take some art or photography classes.

Photography is a fascinating balance of both art and science...not many things pique both of those interests, and that's why I love it. You figure out how to nail the technical and artistic aspects of each shot. It's a challenge, but very rewarding when you get it.

The photos posted on these threads are mainly just discussion amongst friends with a common hobby and interest...

Sorry I disappointed you by not capturing the bug's expression! 🙄

Feel free to post some photos of your own for C&C though!! 👍
 
Aight.. the lens got here. It's heavy. Push/Pull is not such a great idea for an heavy lens. I prefer turn zoom like 70-200. I would go shoot the moon but it's crescent and overcast.

Goodness, I can't even imagine how heavy it is if you have the 70-200 2.8 and don't think that one's too bad!

Is it a nice smooth push/pull, or lots of tension?

I was so tempted to go get this shot last night, but I was just way too tired. Now tonight, it's cloudy here too. 🙁
 
Goodness, I can't even imagine how heavy it is if you have the 70-200 2.8 and don't think that one's too bad!

Is it a nice smooth push/pull, or lots of tension?

I was so tempted to go get this shot last night, but I was just way too tired. Now tonight, it's cloudy here too. 🙁

They weigh about the same... but I'm not used to the push pull...maybe that's why it feels heavier.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Of course. And the Hood. And I got the UV filter for free. This has been a long awaited purchase. I pondered 2 years for this.


Heh...funny you bring that up. Go read the first bunch of posts in this thread. I just finished reading the first page of this conversation 1/2 an hour ago since I was curious after girllein's post, how we even started all of this.

You end up getting the 5D/100-400, etc. and I got the 40D, other 70-200, etc. Total opposite of what we were saying!! 😛😉
 
:meanie:

Cuz I thought I was going to go with 2X TE over 100-400mm.. or a Bigma at 500mm...

I made the right choice. 100-400 on my 20D.. and 5D with other lenses.
 
I know, I kid....he isn't going wrong with the Nikon.

You going to take one of the SLR's to Florida? There're lots of worthwhile shots to get...


Probably not. Too heavy. And I don't have a bag to carry both zooms now. I may take a P&S. Oh, the tightness of the pushring is adjustable. I didn't know.
 
Probably not. Too heavy. And I don't have a bag to carry both zooms now. I may take a P&S. Oh, the tightness of the pushring is adjustable. I didn't know.

What kind of bag do you like? Backback style or shoulder bag?

I got one of these...it doesn't look like it, but it fits a lot! (body + 6 lenses, flash and accesories) What I like most though, is that it doesn't look like a camera bag, and people don't know I'm carrying around that much $ equipment. Actually, a lot of people think there's a dog inside...ha!
 
I have a bag pack which fits a laptop. Bag pack allows me to get on my mountain bike and go..
 
Happy to please!
The tree I took a picture of on Sunday no longer has leaves. And I haven't even posted the picture of the tree. Yet, you're going to duplicate a same picture? I don't think so.
The ginkgo down the street has a nice garden surrounding it. It's right in the middle and raised above the other plants too. They even have a popsicle stick sticking out in front of it that says "ginkgo biloba". I'll see if they'll add two more sticks next to it reading "neither monocot" & "nor dicot". It even still has leaves...

Photography is a fascinating balance of both art and science...not many things pique both of those interests, and that's why I love it. You figure out how to nail the technical and artistic aspects of each shot. It's a challenge, but very rewarding when you get it.

The photos posted on these threads are mainly just discussion amongst friends with a common hobby and interest...

Sorry I disappointed you by not capturing the bug's expression! 🙄

Feel free to post some photos of your own for C&C though!! 👍
Bugs can have expression too. What would a pill bug do if it was about to get eaten? Turn into a ball.

I really cherish some of my original drawings. Some of my work would be cool to post, but I don't think they make a 3D scanner...


Just to please all of you tree junkies, here's a personal favorite:

n83304022_30468976_6662.jpg

(Look! There's a huge tree! and street barricades acting like a row of falling dominoes.)
I didn't even have to risk my life for this shot... I live only a couple of blocks away.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You gotta admit though, Nikon has some good.....commercials.

No doubt. Nikon is really starting to kick Canon's ass. But too many have invested too much into Canon system. Go to a football game and look down the field.. white lenses. Photogs with non Canon lenses look like 2nd rate citizens..
 
No doubt. Nikon is really starting to kick Canon's ass. But too many have invested too much into Canon system. Go to a football game and look down the field.. white lenses. Photogs with non Canon lenses look like 2nd rate citizens..

Yeah I walk down the street with my L and people flock to me like a rock star.

Okay, not quite, but there's something about the white/grey lenses that get you the 2nd look.

btw I picked a camera system by watching sports on TV. All you see are Canon lenses lined up. Was a no brainer to me.
 
Feeling generous?
Yeah. Duh! It's Christmas time, Candy... cane. What's with those horizontal stripes? Horizontal stripes add pounds, whereas vertical stripes are known to be slimming.
I thought everyone was feeling generous this time of the year... I shared a picture for C&C (whatever that is???).
 
yeah, that's pretty much my reaction

Cuz you have no comprehension of focal length, aperture, and, ISO involved with trying to capture an image in low light situation.. and for someone who's not interested in this stuff, you sure show a lot of interest.
 
That reverse psychology crap doesn't work on me. I'ma continue to hate on your crazy junk.

Nah dood. I have no intention of trying to convince you into photography. Look at it this way... Cyclo thread lives on and it's a good thread.. for some of us. Most couldn't careless.

Caver thread lives on and it's a good thread.. for some of us. Most couldn't careless. We've never asked you to participate.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
where's venus and mars? I know dallas had a nice view of it 2 nights ago...it was beautiful here in san antionio...and of course I couldn't find my camera. moving sucks!

They were little ways off. Pretty bright though. You don't know where your Camera is?