"Hey Does Anyone Know Which Schools..." - A List of Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@britzen you should answer these questions for VMCVM. Pretty sure I know the answers but I haven’t experienced it yet :)

Just trimming down my comments a little bit!

"Which schools record lectures?"
K-State:
Most lectures are recorded, but there was at least one class or professor each semester that would not record their lectures.
WSU: Yes for all main lectures. Not for any electives.
Minnesota: Yes for all lectures as far as I know, including electives.
ISU: yes for all main lectures and electives. Most professors will leave the recording up all semester but some will take it down after a couple days but there is the option to download the audio and keep that
Purdue: All lectures and some labs (when possible) are recorded. Recorded lectures are available for the duration of the semester.

"Which schools have mandatory attendance?"
K-State:
Technically attendance is mandatory for all lectures and labs, but most professors don't take attendance. If a lot of people were skipping a particular class they'd threaten to give pop quizzes, but this never actually happened to my class. For labs you could get away with skipping some, but others had sign-in sheets.
WSU: Labs only, attendance is obviously encouraged for lecture but no policy
Minnesota: labs only for the most part, but there are certain professional development lectures that are mandatory with attendance taken.
ISU: Labs, some classes have in class quizzes so you have to be there or have certain days that are required
Purdue: Yes; however usually skipping is not too much of a problem, but if the professor feels like it and they have justifiable cause (i.e. over half the class is missing) they can send out an attendance sheet. This tends to vary depending on class, however. It happened to my class several times, but never happened to the class above us.

"Which schools have a dress code for classroom lectures?"
K-State:
There is a dress code for lectures, but it's pretty vague, the student handbook just says "Students in the DVM degree program are expected to dress neatly and to otherwise exemplify professional men and women at all times." My class was told during orientation no T-shirts, no leggings/yoga pants/sweatpants, no short shorts, and no tennis shoes. However this is mainly enforced by the class officers, so some people bend the rules, and you're not going to be kicked out of class to go change if you're wearing the wrong thing. Just generally try to make an effort, and don't look like you just rolled out of bed or came from the gym. Nice jeans are allowed.
WSU: No scrubs outside of lab
Minnesota: none
ISU: no leggings, short shorts, etc. but t-shirts, jeans, tennis shoes are fine. Scrubs only during labs. Every Thursday you have to dress in professional attire.
Purdue: The dress code seems strict, but everyone is generally pretty laid back about it. Dress code is generally something that is enforced by class reps, who don't seem to really care what we do. There are also a few days where there are exceptions, such as on Halloween when people can dress in costumes. Official policy: "Wear attire which is neat, clean, and professional as illustrated by: clothing is free of rips, tears, fading, and patches, stretch pants and leggings shall be covered by a top or dress, footwear which is protective and professional, closed toe shoes are required when working with animals and in all labs, and maintain personal hygiene and be properly groomed including clean and trimmed finger nails. The following are prohibited: headwear inside the building unless for religious, cultural, or medical purposes, political messages, clothing which exposes undergarments/underwear, gym attire or sleepwear (spandex, gym shorts, yoga pants, etc.), flip flops, strongly scented products (i.e. perfumes, colognes, aftershave, etc.) (respecting that some individuals are allergic), long, hooped, or dangling jewelry including piercings (for safety purposes)"

please modify with your own school's policy

So just to clarify, lectures are recorded, attendance is mandatory, and there is a dress code? What's the dress code like? (I think I remember you saying before it was pretty strict...)

Members don't see this ad.

@alissa14 and @Elkhart I believe that the GRE isn't required for Illinois *only* this year due to COVID. It's on our website, but the AAVMC chart is incorrect apparently. I only know this cause I looked for someone else a few days ago.

Alissa, some of your Illinois stuff is kinda off (like details on number of didactic semesters). You're welcome to message me or start the Illinois 2025 thread and ask! I just don't want to derail this thread so itself useful for future applicants. :)

I have taken GRE 3 years ago and it was verbal 160 (86th percentile) - quanti 164 (84th percentile) - AW 4.5 (81st percentile). Should I report it to Illinois anyway? Does it enhance my profile?

My undergrad (in sociology from a HK institution) cGPA was only 3.58. sGPA from UIC is 3.92, last 45 credits 3.91.

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
K-State:
Most lectures are recorded, but there was at least one class or professor each semester that would not record their lectures.
ISU: yes for all main lectures and electives. Most professors will leave the recording up all semester but some will take it down after a couple days but there is the option to download the audio and keep that
Purdue: All lectures and some labs (when possible) are recorded. Recorded lectures are available for the duration of the semester.
VMCVM: All lectures are recorded, but instructors can opt out of making the recording generally available. All lectures are available to students with accommodations - access for the entire year can be granted due to something like a disability, or temporarily for a few days if you had to miss class for something like the flu. Recordings are available until you graduate.

K-State:
Technically attendance is mandatory for all lectures and labs, but most professors don't take attendance. If a lot of people were skipping a particular class they'd threaten to give pop quizzes, but this never actually happened to my class. For labs you could get away with skipping some, but others had sign-in sheets.
Minnesota: labs only for the most part, but there are certain professional development lectures that are mandatory with attendance taken.
ISU: Labs, some classes have in class quizzes so you have to be there or have certain days that are required
Purdue: Yes; however usually skipping is not too much of a problem, but if the professor feels like it and they have justifiable cause (i.e. over half the class is missing) they can send out an attendance sheet. This tends to vary depending on class, however. It happened to my class several times, but never happened to the class above us.
VMCVM: Lectures are not mandatory unless specifically indicated, and only a handful of professional development classes are marked as mandatory each year. Lab sessions are mandatory, but generally don't take attendance or have graded assignments. Integrative sessions are mandatory and have graded assignments - you will receive a zero if not present.

K-State:
There is a dress code for lectures, but it's pretty vague, the student handbook just says "Students in the DVM degree program are expected to dress neatly and to otherwise exemplify professional men and women at all times." My class was told during orientation no T-shirts, no leggings/yoga pants/sweatpants, no short shorts, and no tennis shoes. However this is mainly enforced by the class officers, so some people bend the rules, and you're not going to be kicked out of class to go change if you're wearing the wrong thing. Just generally try to make an effort, and don't look like you just rolled out of bed or came from the gym. Nice jeans are allowed.
ISU: no leggings, short shorts, etc. but t-shirts, jeans, tennis shoes are fine. Scrubs only during labs. Every Thursday you have to dress in professional attire.
Purdue: The dress code seems strict, but everyone is generally pretty laid back about it. Dress code is generally something that is enforced by class reps, who don't seem to really care what we do. There are also a few days where there are exceptions, such as on Halloween when people can dress in costumes. Official policy: "Wear attire which is neat, clean, and professional as illustrated by: clothing is free of rips, tears, fading, and patches, stretch pants and leggings shall be covered by a top or dress, footwear which is protective and professional, closed toe shoes are required when working with animals and in all labs, and maintain personal hygiene and be properly groomed including clean and trimmed finger nails. The following are prohibited: headwear inside the building unless for religious, cultural, or medical purposes, political messages, clothing which exposes undergarments/underwear, gym attire or sleepwear (spandex, gym shorts, yoga pants, etc.), flip flops, strongly scented products (i.e. perfumes, colognes, aftershave, etc.) (respecting that some individuals are allergic), long, hooped, or dangling jewelry including piercings (for safety purposes)"
VMCVM: No dress code for lecture other than no scrubs

In-State Residency/Tuition After First Year (This does not necessarily mean lowest COA!)
UC Davis
Missouri
North Carolina State
Ohio State
Washington State

Schools that do not allow you to change your residency status
Michigan State
Mississippi
University of Florida
if anyone can add to this list I would really appreciate it. I did a ton of research on residency laws and they can be so difficult to understand. Some schools allow it but then I’ve heard on here that it’s nearly impossible. If anyone has experience or have heard of others attempt to change their residency status please let me know and update this list. Cost of attendance is my #1 factor in choosing a school and I’m still unsure on where I want to apply. Michigan State is my in-state so I’m definitely applying there. Purdue is currently my second and Minnesota is my third. I’ve heard it’s difficult to apply for resident tuition at Purdue. Can anyone tell me about Minnesota?

if anyone can add to this list I would really appreciate it. I did a ton of research on residency laws and they can be so difficult to understand. Some schools allow it but then I’ve heard on here that it’s nearly impossible. If anyone has experience or have heard of others attempt to change their residency status please let me know and update this list. Cost of attendance is my #1 factor in choosing a school and I’m still unsure on where I want to apply. Michigan State is my in-state so I’m definitely applying there. Purdue is currently my second and Minnesota is my third. I’ve heard it’s difficult to apply for resident tuition at Purdue. Can anyone tell me about Minnesota?

The whole office responsible for it at Minnesota had turnover in the last year or so, and the process has changed pretty significantly - your best bet is to contact Violeta Bonneville and ask her for information ([email protected]).

Reactions: 1 users
Overall unless you establish residency before starting the schools WZ listed are the only ones you can switch residency while enrolled in school.
Minnesota has been hit and miss over the years but their IS tuition is high similar to Ohio so it'd pry be best to reach out to the school's registrar office directly. Other schools have exceptions military&marriage, but those are very case by case/school by school basis and would recommend reaching out to them directly. I know many of them require you sign a waiver saying you will pay OOS tuition the whole time.

Overall unless you establish residency before starting the schools WZ listed are the only ones you can switch residency while enrolled in school.
Minnesota has been hit and miss over the years but their IS tuition is high similar to Ohio so it'd pry be best to reach out to the school's registrar office directly. Other schools have exceptions military&marriage, but those are very case by case/school by school basis and would recommend reaching out to them directly. I know many of them require you sign a waiver saying you will pay OOS tuition the whole time.
This really sucks because I was looking at places like Purdue, Cornell, Iowa, and Illinois and they all seemed to be pretty possible and I’m now hearing about how Illinois and Purdue make it very difficult. To be honest, I’m not being picky on the program. Obviously all the programs are accredited and are good. My main factors are if they allow me to gain residency and if they’ll accept my AP credits (I have a 3 from bio and 3 from English lit. Some schools make you send your scores and a 3 isn’t high enough.)

This really sucks because I was looking at places like Purdue, Cornell, Iowa, and Illinois and they all seemed to be pretty possible and I’m now hearing about how Illinois and Purdue make it very difficult. To be honest, I’m not being picky on the program. Obviously all the programs are accredited and are good. My main factors are if they allow me to gain residency and if they’ll accept my AP credits (I have a 3 from bio and 3 from English lit. Some schools make you send your scores and a 3 isn’t high enough.)
Illinois and Iowa definitely do not let residency changes. Iowa used to and then said only if you marry an Iowan and I think it was @Barkley13 said they can't even do that now? I don't know of anyone who has successfully changed at Purdue or Cornell either. The one's listed in WZ post have students that change easily every year. I know @WildZoo was able to switch for TN but I think it was because she was married/special circumstance? Yeah unfortunately not super common outside of those schools unless you have military privileges/marriage/ whatever special situations are set by that state.

Illinois and Iowa definitely do not let residency changes. Iowa used to and then said only if you marry an Iowan and I think it was @Barkley13 said they can't even do that now? I don't know of anyone who has successfully changed at Purdue or Cornell either. The one's listed in WZ post have students that change easily every year. I know @WildZoo was able to switch for TN but I think it was because she was married/special circumstance? Yeah unfortunately not super common outside of those schools unless you have military privileges/marriage/ whatever special situations are set by that state.
And for some schools it’s specific to that school and not the state as a whole correct? For example Western University of Health Sciences is also in California with UC Davis but that doesn’t mean WUSH also lets you change residency right?

And for some schools it’s specific to that school and not the state as a whole correct? For example Western University of Health Sciences is also in California with UC Davis but that doesn’t mean WUSH also lets you change residency right?
Kinda/not really. The difference is Western is a private school. Same for Midwestern&LIU. There is no IS tuition because they are private.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep that’s right. They don’t let you change residency at all as far as I know even if you marry an Iowa resident

Why do AP credits matter? That’s an undergrad thing, not vet school.

Why do AP credits matter? That’s an undergrad thing, not vet school.
Because I used them for intro bio and English which are pre reqs at most vet schools. Some schools will not accept that I received AP credit for these classes

Because I used them for intro bio and English which are pre reqs at most vet schools. Some schools will not accept that I received AP credit for these classes
Ah my mistake. My undergrad gave me credit for the actual class based on my AP scores, so I never considered that in my school decisions.

Ah my mistake. My undergrad gave me credit for the actual class based on my AP scores, so I never considered that in my school decisions.
Same here. I also received actual credit but regardless of this, some schools still require you to send scores

You've double checked with those schools already about this? It doesn't really seem fair...
It just lists that you must send your actual scores to these schools. My scores aren’t high enough to guarantee credit at those schools. Another factor for me was if the school accepted community college credit. Apparently not all schools do which is such a shame. I mean, excuse me for trying to save money during my undergrad?!?! University of florida won’t accept microbio if taken at CC. And I’ve heard Oklahoma won’t accept upper level science taken at CC.

It just lists that you must send your actual scores to these schools. My scores aren’t high enough to guarantee credit at those schools. Another factor for me was if the school accepted community college credit. Apparently not all schools do which is such a shame. I mean, excuse me for trying to save money during my undergrad?!?! University of florida won’t accept microbio if taken at CC. And I’ve heard Oklahoma won’t accept upper level science taken at CC.
Is that just from a website? because I know you have to send the actual scores, but I haven't heard of this issue before which is why I'm asking and would encourage you to reach out directly to admissions at vet schools you're applying to if you havent. I had a weird issue with foreign credits and had to work directly with the CVM and it was no issue.
I have heard about the whole CC thing before which I get to some extent.

This whole thread just proves that applying to vet school is complicated (other than the posts about how far is ___ from ____ lol)

I had a similar issue with credit things...Cornell wouldn't accept my IB credits for a couple pre-reqs, even though my undergrad had let me use them (I believe it was for intro bio and chem) which was why I didn't end up applying there. Wasn't even a score issue, because I got the highest possible score on one of those, they just flat out wouldn't accept them for intro bio and chem.

Anyway, on to residency things

As others have said, the ones on the list have a streamlined, readily available process for OOS students to switch to IS that most if not all will be able to take advantage of. At other schools it may be possible but in most cases will be special circumstances only.

Speaking of special circumstances - I was able to switch because of a new law in TN that state funded schools could not charge OOS fees to students who qualified for VA benefits. This law was passed between my first and second year, so I was able to switch, and even though I used up the rest of my VA benefits during 2nd year, they said that once I switched to IS, they wouldn't switch me back. So, special circumstance. Obviously I did not know that was going to be a thing when I applied, but the other nice thing with TN is that they let you switch if your spouse is a TN resident, and they do not require that they be a resident before you apply, or even before you get married. So since I was planning on getting married anyway, that was going to be my path to IS tuition, before the VA thing happened. I have also heard rumors that a couple of my classmates were able to switch after their parents moved to TN but that's hearsay.

• Wow
I had a similar issue with credit things...Cornell wouldn't accept my IB credits for a couple pre-reqs, even though my undergrad had let me use them (I believe it was for intro bio and chem) which was why I didn't end up applying there. Wasn't even a score issue, because I got the highest possible score on one of those, they just flat out wouldn't accept them for intro bio and chem.

Anyway, on to residency things

As others have said, the ones on the list have a streamlined, readily available process for OOS students to switch to IS that most if not all will be able to take advantage of. At other schools it may be possible but in most cases will be special circumstances only.

Speaking of special circumstances - I was able to switch because of a new law in TN that state funded schools could not charge OOS fees to students who qualified for VA benefits. This law was passed between my first and second year, so I was able to switch, and even though I used up the rest of my VA benefits during 2nd year, they said that once I switched to IS, they wouldn't switch me back. So, special circumstance. Obviously I did not know that was going to be a thing when I applied, but the other nice thing with TN is that they let you switch if your spouse is a TN resident, and they do not require that they be a resident before you apply, or even before you get married. So since I was planning on getting married anyway, that was going to be my path to IS tuition, before the VA thing happened. I have also heard rumors that a couple of my classmates were able to switch after their parents moved to TN but that's hearsay.
VA being veterans affairs? Dang dubz i didn’t know you were a veteran. Good for you and here’s the cliche “thanks for serving our country“ :p I guess I’d have to look into the whole marriage thing.. I have a long term bf who plans to move wherever I move and if he’s able to establish residency and I marry him to gain said residency it will be worth it in the long run. My mom (who claims me as a dependent) also said she would consider moving where I move lol. I know I must sound crazy but I’m really just trying to save money if I can. Am I really crazy if it’s the difference of potentially thousands and thousands of dollars?

VA being veterans affairs? Dang dubz i didn’t know you were a veteran. Good for you and here’s the cliche “thanks for serving our country“ :p I guess I’d have to look into the whole marriage thing.. I have a long term bf who plans to move wherever I move and if he’s able to establish residency and I marry him to gain said residency it will be worth it in the long run. My mom (who claims me as a dependent) also said she would consider moving where I move lol. I know I must sound crazy but I’m really just trying to save money if I can. Am I really crazy if it’s the difference of potentially thousands and thousands of dollars?
Lol I'm not, my dad was
I don't think you're crazy at all. Like literally TN only stayed on my list because I knew switching to IS would be feasible.

IB chem was my jam :love:

My mom (who claims me as a dependent) also said she would consider moving where I move lol. I know I must sound crazy but I’m really just trying to save money if I can. Am I really crazy if it’s the difference of potentially thousands and thousands of dollars?
If you end up going this route definitely check with the financial aid office and make sure that would allow you to change residency. I know for federal loans professional students are considered independent even if you’re claimed by your parent as a dependent, so definitely check and make sure it would be allowed before you go that route.

My best IB tests were history and psychology

I remember everybody being mad at my perfect history score because we had an entire paper about Mao's regime in China and I was literally the only person who ever presented on him in class because nobody else ever wanted to do it, so I was basically the only person who knew enough about him to answer those questions intelligently lol

Also I read a lot of Wikipedia pages about various history topics for fun, so was always good at pulling random dates and esoteric information out of my ass

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
If you end up going this route definitely check with the financial aid office and make sure that would allow you to change residency. I know for federal loans professional students are considered independent even if you’re claimed by your parent as a dependent, so definitely check and make sure it would be allowed before you go that route.
Good to know. I’m assuming I’m going to have to take out loans no matter where I go. Plus I’ve been living at home attending community college for the past couple years and I was looking forward to vet school as some independence.. but also whatever saves me money lol

Last edited:
Good to know. I’m assuming I’m goimy to have to take out loans no matter where I go. Plus I’ve been living at home attending community college for the past couple years and I was looking forward to vet school as some independence.. but also whatever saves me money lol

If you marry a Virginia/Maryland resident, you can petition to become IS at VMCVM. It's not guaranteed, but several of my classmates were successful after they got married between 1st and 2nd year, even if their spouse had moved to Virginia at the beginning of vet school.

Marry military and you’ll get resident tuition wherever you go ;)

(Thank you dear husband of mine. Otherwise I would’ve had to choose UGA over VMCVM)

Reactions: 3 users

(Thank you dear husband of mine. Otherwise I would’ve had to choose UGA over VMCVM)
Hahaha I suggested this to my SO and he was like “uhhh no thanks” lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Hahaha I suggested this to my SO and he was like “uhhh no thanks” lol

The two of you have just similar enough avatars that my blind and inattentive self thought one person was replying to themself.

That's where I'm at today

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
The two of you have just similar enough avatars that my blind and inattentive self thought one person was replying to themself.

It’s fine there’s two others that also have similar avatars and I keep mixing them up too. I can’t remember who they are though

I’m not THAT looney
...Someday maybe, but not today

I made a quick list of vet schools without a teaching hospital:

Canada:
University of Calgary

Grenada:
SGU

St. Kitts:
Ross

USA:
University of Arizona
LIU
LMU
Western University

Unless I missed anything, I believe all others have a teaching hospital on site. From what I've found, I believe they all follow the distributive model (except for Ross/SGU, where they send students to the USA or Canada for clinical year, if I understand correctly). Arizona does have a university-owned clinic (Douglas-Ames Animal Hospital) on site, but it doesn't appear to be a full-scale teaching hospital, as far as I'm aware.

Disclaimer: this is all from my own research, so if I missed anything or overlooked something, please don't hesitate to correct me.
Yep, both Ross & SGU send students to clinical affiliates, which can be in US or international (including UK, Australia). LMU started being offered as an affiliate for us here at Ross a couple semesters ago, so people that do want the distributive model have that as an option. Side note, there is actually a teaching clinic (AAHA accredited) on campus. It’s obviously not as fleshed out as traditional teaching hospitals since we’re on an island, but it offers several services. We do rotations through it (emergency, SA GP) in upper semesters. It’s one of only two clinics on island and the only one that offers ER hours, so it stays pretty busy. Just wanted to throw that out there since some people might not be aware!

K-State:
VMCVM: All lectures are recorded, but instructors can opt out of making the recording generally available. All lectures are available to students with accommodations - access for the entire year can be granted due to something like a disability, or temporarily for a few days if you had to miss class for something like the flu. Recordings are available until you graduate.
Ross: every class is recorded and uploaded to Panopto, except for electives (and labs). You can typically access lectures from previous semesters as well.

K-State:
VMCVM: Lectures are not mandatory unless specifically indicated, and only a handful of professional development classes are marked as mandatory each year. Lab sessions are mandatory, but generally don't take attendance or have graded assignments. Integrative sessions are mandatory and have graded assignments - you will receive a zero if not present.
Ross: Attendance is only mandatory in labs, electives, and a few classes early on in the curriculum. For the majority of classes, it is not. Elective grades are based solely on attendance (most of the time, not all).

K-State:
Ross: Dress code is fairly relaxed as it’s hot and humid on the island. No offensive or revealing clothing, but tank tops, flip flops, shorts, etc. are standard wear. Scrubs are not allowed to be worn in classrooms or common areas, such as the union and food court area.

K-State:
Ross: every class is recorded and uploaded to Panopto, except for electives (and labs). You can typically access lectures from previous semesters as well.
Illinois: every core class is recorded and uploaded to Echo360 except for electives and labs. You can access all lectures from previous semesters until graduation via class website.

K-State:
Ross: Attendance is only mandatory in labs, electives, and a few classes early on in the curriculum. For the majority of classes, it is not. Elective grades are based solely on attendance (most of the time, not all).
Illinois: mandatory attendance for most labs based on either clicker questions and/or sign in sheet. Elective grades are are at least 50% attendance.

K-State:
Ross: Dress code is fairly relaxed as it’s hot and humid on the island. No offensive or revealing clothing, but tank tops, flip flops, shorts, etc. are standard wear. Scrubs are not allowed to be worn in classrooms or common areas, such as the union and food court area.
Illinois: no dress code outside of common sense; scrubs can be worn anywhere and all day if so desired. I wear t shirts with the collar cut off (cause of a feeling of constriction/claustrophobia around my neck) and leggings, or leggings and oversized sweatshirts on the regular. If people have a lab where scrubs are ideal, most will wear scrubs all day, including following junior surgery (if people go to class that afternoon). This changes for clinics where scrubs or professional wear are expected depending on the service.

Yep, both Ross & SGU send students to clinical affiliates, which can be in US or international (including UK, Australia). LMU started being offered as an affiliate for us here at Ross a couple semesters ago, so people that do want the distributive model have that as an option. Side note, there is actually a teaching clinic (AAHA accredited) on campus. It’s obviously not as fleshed out as traditional teaching hospitals since we’re on an island, but it offers several services. We do rotations through it (emergency, SA GP) in upper semesters. It’s one of only two clinics on island and the only one that offers ER hours, so it stays pretty busy. Just wanted to throw that out there since some people might not be aware!
Thanks for the info! I’m curious about how the clinical affiliate sites work. Do Ross and SGU students get to pick where they go, or are they assigned somehow? I couldn’t find the exact process on their websites; but I did see a page on the SGU website saying that they try to give students their first choice, but it’s not guaranteed. Is it like a match system?

Thanks for the info! I’m curious about how the clinical affiliate sites work. Do Ross and SGU students get to pick where they go, or are they assigned somehow? I couldn’t find the exact process on their websites; but I did see a page on the SGU website saying that they try to give students their first choice, but it’s not guaranteed. Is it like a match system?
So for SGU we pick four school we want to go to for clinical year and rank them in order of where we would prefer to go. It's based on GPA and amount of seats offered at that school. Every affiliated school has a minumum GPA they require for a student to be able to go there and some require letters of rec. So depending on how many other students apply for that school, the amount of seats, and your GPA determine if you get your first choice. No matter what you will go to one of the schools on your list of four. We apply for schools in the beginning of our 5th semester and find out after midterms where we will go. A couple schools require an interview so if you want to go to one of those you apply at the end of our 4th semester.

Rearranged in alphabetical order for easier searching

Illinois
: every core class is recorded and uploaded to Echo360 except for electives and labs. You can access all lectures from previous semesters until graduation via class website.
K-State: Most lectures are recorded, but there was at least one class or professor each semester that would not record their lectures.
Penn: Every lecture is recorded and uploaded to Panopto, unless the lecture is done from the lecturer's laptop. This typically only happens in classes without exams, so it doesn't affect things.

Illinois:
mandatory attendance for most labs based on either clicker questions and/or sign in sheet. Elective grades are are at least 50% attendance.
K-State: Technically attendance is mandatory for all lectures and labs, but most professors don't take attendance. If a lot of people were skipping a particular class they'd threaten to give pop quizzes, but this never actually happened to my class. For labs you could get away with skipping some, but others had sign-in sheets.
Penn: The majority of classes have no mandatory attendance. A few classes do, but typically only the classes that are very few credits and meet for a couple hours per week. This is done by a sign-in sheet or minute quizzes at the end of lecture to prove you were there. Some labs are "mandatory" but I haven't seen it enforced.

Illinois
: no dress code outside of common sense; scrubs can be worn anywhere and all day if so desired. I wear t shirts with the collar cut off (cause of a feeling of constriction/claustrophobia around my neck) and leggings, or leggings and oversized sweatshirts on the regular. If people have a lab where scrubs are ideal, most will wear scrubs all day, including following junior surgery (if people go to class that afternoon). This changes for clinics where scrubs or professional wear are expected depending on the service.
K-State: There is a dress code for lectures, but it's pretty vague, the student handbook just says "Students in the DVM degree program are expected to dress neatly and to otherwise exemplify professional men and women at all times." My class was told during orientation no T-shirts, no leggings/yoga pants/sweatpants, no short shorts, and no tennis shoes. However this is mainly enforced by the class officers, so some people bend the rules, and you're not going to be kicked out of class to go change if you're wearing the wrong thing. Just generally try to make an effort, and don't look like you just rolled out of bed or came from the gym. Nice jeans are allowed.
Penn: None

Too lazy to add to the list myself ;)

Tennessee: all lectures recorded except for anatomy, mandatory attendance for labs and scattered lectures (basically ones where they bring in outside speakers) and electives but otherwise learn at home to your heart's content, dress code is casual business casual for preclinical - jeans allowed but no sweatpants or leggings. I'll actually have to look into this because I think it was just recently relaxed further. They say no unnatural hair colors but nobody really follows that, and that may have been updated too. More strict in clinics, rotation-dependent.

@WildZoo I gotchu

Illinois
: every core class is recorded and uploaded to Echo360 except for electives and labs. You can access all lectures from previous semesters until graduation via class website.
K-State: Most lectures are recorded, but there was at least one class or professor each semester that would not record their lectures.
Penn: Every lecture is recorded and uploaded to Panopto, unless the lecture is done from the lecturer's laptop. This typically only happens in classes without exams, so it doesn't affect things.
Tennessee: all lectures recorded except for anatomy

Illinois:
mandatory attendance for most labs based on either clicker questions and/or sign in sheet. Elective grades are are at least 50% attendance.
K-State: Technically attendance is mandatory for all lectures and labs, but most professors don't take attendance. If a lot of people were skipping a particular class they'd threaten to give pop quizzes, but this never actually happened to my class. For labs you could get away with skipping some, but others had sign-in sheets.
Penn: The majority of classes have no mandatory attendance. A few classes do, but typically only the classes that are very few credits and meet for a couple hours per week. This is done by a sign-in sheet or minute quizzes at the end of lecture to prove you were there. Some labs are "mandatory" but I haven't seen it enforced.
Tennessee: mandatory attendance for labs and scattered lectures (basically ones where they bring in outside speakers) and electives but otherwise learn at home to your heart's content

Illinois
: no dress code outside of common sense; scrubs can be worn anywhere and all day if so desired. I wear t shirts with the collar cut off (cause of a feeling of constriction/claustrophobia around my neck) and leggings, or leggings and oversized sweatshirts on the regular. If people have a lab where scrubs are ideal, most will wear scrubs all day, including following junior surgery (if people go to class that afternoon). This changes for clinics where scrubs or professional wear are expected depending on the service.
K-State: There is a dress code for lectures, but it's pretty vague, the student handbook just says "Students in the DVM degree program are expected to dress neatly and to otherwise exemplify professional men and women at all times." My class was told during orientation no T-shirts, no leggings/yoga pants/sweatpants, no short shorts, and no tennis shoes. However this is mainly enforced by the class officers, so some people bend the rules, and you're not going to be kicked out of class to go change if you're wearing the wrong thing. Just generally try to make an effort, and don't look like you just rolled out of bed or came from the gym. Nice jeans are allowed.
Penn: None
Tennessee: dress code is casual business casual for preclinical - jeans allowed but no sweatpants or leggings. I'll actually have to look into this because I think it was just recently relaxed further. They say no unnatural hair colors but nobody really follows that, and that may have been updated too. More strict in clinics, rotation-dependent.

We seem to have gotten serious again, but in case anyone wanted to know about proximity to Target, I retract any bragging I did upthread because I am disappointed in my state. Rankings determined with a combination of Target.com and Google Maps.

Ohio State - 0.6 miles
Arizona - 0.9 miles
Michigan State - 1.7 miles
Wisconsin - 2.1 miles
Iowa State & Florida - 2.2 miles
CSU - 2.3 miles
Penn - 2.4 miles
NCSU, Minnesota, and Western - 2.6
Texas A&M - 3.2
Cornell - 3.6
Kansas State - 3.7
Purdue - 4.1
Midwestern - 4.5
Davis - 4.8
Mizzou - 4.9
Georgia - 5.3
Illinois - 5.4
VMCVM - 5.6
LIU - 6.3
Tennessee - 8.5
Tufts - 8.6
Auburn - 9.3
LSU - 10.9
Oregon State - 14.5
Tuskegee - 24.6
Oklahoma State - 48.5
LMU - 65.2
Washington State - 72.5
Mississippi State - 87.6
Very late to this party so I apologize if this has already been said... but there's a target <5 min away from the Tufts campus. Closest trader joes has got to be like 10-15 miles.

Were you looking at the Grafton campus? Tufts undergrad is in Medford, just outside of Boston. Tufts vet school is in Grafton, way out in the central-south region of the state, closer to Worcester. They're over an hour's drive away from each other :)

similarly, is Worcester an urban center (again, 170k and second most populous city in all of New England and is def a city...
pffffft
Worcester is an urban center the same way olive garden is a trip to Tuscany

(I'm exaggerating -- it's not that bad anymore. But my family is from there, and even though it's expanded more in recent years, I would still not consider it an urban center like Boston or even Providence RI)

Also too lazy to add to the lists, but:

Tufts:
- As a general rule, all lectures are recorded and available to watch after the fact. Once in a blue moon, an individual professor will opt out from being recorded, but typically the VERC reps (students in each class who are the liason for a particular course) will work with the professors to give advanced notice if an upcoming lecture will not be recorded for some reason.

- Attendance is not mandatory for the majority of lectures, but is mandatory for certain courses and for all labs. If it's listed as mandatory, it's usually pretty strictly enforced (for example, a single unexcused absence for some courses can put you in danger of failing the whole course).

- No dress code for lectures. Must wear scrubs & a lab coat in anatomy lab, scrubs for most one-off labs, coveralls & boots for weekly clinical skills in years 1-2 and bovine procedures in year 3. Much more strict in clinics; specifics are rotation-dependent.

pffffft
Worcester is an urban center the same way olive garden is a trip to Tuscany

(I'm exaggerating -- it's not that bad anymore. But my family is from there, and even though it's expanded more in recent years, I would still not consider it an urban center like Boston or even Providence RI)

well that’s why I ask. Even Boston seems like a small city to me, but I would for sure call it an urban center. Personally wouldn’t count Worcester either... but then I’m thinking about some of the vet schools where the nearest “urban center” is even less so than somewhere like worcester. Though my husband refers to the current state of the city as the worcester renaissance...

Though my husband refers to the current state of the city as the worcester renaissance...
I will give it this: there is at least one unexpectedly fun bar that didn't exist 10 years ago, one place that serves decent impossible burgers, and one restaurant that has truly great tacos & mission style burritos. And of course the polar beverage company, which has supplied my seltzer habit for decades.

But I think to be an urban center you can't have a major interstate crossing over an old train station as your most prominent downtown center landmarks.